Has anyone here seen

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

BarFlie
x-grunt

Has anyone here seen

Post by BarFlie »

the movie "American Sniper"? It's becoming the inspiration for a lot of strange news lately and I'm curious as to what everyday people that have seen it think. A friend of mine saw it and said it was an emotional ass kicker and suggested I wait til it comes out on blu-ray and watch it at home alone. Help a brother out with some feedback on this flick.

thnx
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Re: Has anyone here seen

Post by Goober McTuber »

I hear it's good.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Bradley Cooper was really good.

The battle scenes were intense.

The rest of the movie was shit.

But it was mostly battle scenes.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

I'm a bit surprised that Eastwood didn't make his sniper flick about White Feather. Guess Viet Nam is so long ago no one cares.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

I thought it was pretty good. Like Dins said, Cooper did a good job. As with any movie based on a true story, some liberties were taken regarding portrayal of facts. The movie has Cooper's character (Chris Kyle) enlisting in the Navy at age 30 as a result of his indignation over the 1998 attacks on U.S. embassies in Tanzania and Kenya, when in reality Kyle was 24 and the bombings had nothing to do with his decision to enlist. A "sniper vs. sniper" subplot was introduced in which a marksman who had represented Syria in the Olympics is taking out several Americans, and Kyle is hellbent throughout the movie on killing him. While the Syrian sniper, whom the American soldiers refer to as "Kaiser Fuckin' Söze," is not completely fictional, he played a much smaller role in real life than in the movie, and Kyle's long-range kill (~2100 yds) in reality was an insurgent who was about to fire an RPG at an American convoy, not the Syrian. The killing of the kid schmick mentioned also never happened, but he did kill a woman (presumably portrayed in the movie as the kid's mother) as she approached a convoy by herself while concealing something beneath her clothes. She set a Chinese grenade, not a Russian RKG as depicted. Kyle cited this as his first kill in the book, and the only person he killed who wasn't a male combatant.

While it wouldn't have made sense to include it in the movie, it's interesting to note that Kyle claimed to have punched Jesse Ventura at a bar in Coronado, CA, alleging Ventura had bad-mouthed America, Dubya, and the war. He didn't mention Ventura by name in the book, but did in subsequent interviews with Bill O'Reilly and on the Opie & Anthony Show. Ventura claimed he'd never met Kyle and had certainly never been punched by him, and that he'd never said anything derogatory about the military (he's a former SEAL himself). Ventura sued Kyle for defamation, but Kyle was killed before the case went to trial. Ventura continued the lawsuit against Kyle's estate, and was awarded $1.8M.
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Wolfman wrote:I'm a bit surprised that Eastwood didn't make his sniper flick about White Feather. Guess Viet Nam is so long ago no one cares.
The quagmires in the Middle East out front should have told you that.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Not going. When assholes started posting on social media about how watching a movie was an act of patriotism I decided I could wait for it to hit streaming sites.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

BSmack wrote:assholes started posting on social media about how watching a movie was an act of patriotism
No shit? What fucking douchebags.
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Who gives a fuck what that fat slob thinks? It's too bad the kraut didn't kill his father instead.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

mvscal wrote:It's too bad the kraut didn't kill his father instead.
I was thinking of posting the same thing but figured I'd have been accused of stealing your password.

Tom Waits
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

I opted for the wedding ringer this weekend, with no regrets
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Cooper nailed it. The flick is more about these guys struggling to assimilate back into society after seeing what they see in that barbaric shithole. Kyle was everything you imagine a card carrying Texan to be. Ultra patriotic, even more so as he saw global terrorism escalating. The movie had too much of his wife whining about him re-deploying over and over, that time could have been used to show more ragheads exploding.

Good flick though. I'd see it again.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Same thing happened when I saw it last night. They roll the closing credits in silence and the crowd just files out, it's like leaving a funeral.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

88 wrote: The Grand Budapest Hotel,
Now that I want to see.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Read the book, will likely pass on the movie.

As for the clapping, well whatever. Freaked me out though the first time I flew to South America and as soon as the wheels hit the runway the whole plane was clapping and hooting and hollering. Hell but for the seatbelts there likely would have been a standing ovation.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

schmick wrote:
WolverineSteve wrote:Same thing happened when I saw it last night. They roll the closing credits in silence and the crowd just files out, it's like leaving a funeral.

Same at the early premiere, the initial credits are running while they show actual footage of Kyle and his funeral but then when that stopped and they went to the credit crawl everyone quietly got up and walked out of the theater.
I was just relieved that idiots didnt applaud, thats got to be the dumbest shit int he world, clapping at the end of a movie, and I feel stupid just for having been in the same room for 2 hours with tht etype of mouth breathers that are applauding a screen.
You are a fucking moron.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

schmick wrote:BSmack is a movie clapper, the dumb shit applauds a screen and a projectioner operator.
No, you're the movie spoiler.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

WolverineSteve wrote:The movie had too much of his wife whining
Sounds realistic.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

88 wrote:I wanted to see Birdman
I didn't think it was as great as a lotta peeps are making it out to be.

Tom Waits
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

schmick wrote:BSmack is a movie clapper, the dumb shit applauds a screen and a projectioner operator.
I hear Dubya's voice in my head as I read that.

Tom Waits
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

BTW, the only time I ever clapped at a movie was during Raiders of the Lost Ark when Indy wasted that arab sword dude. I was 13 then. Sue me.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Smackie Chan wrote:I thought it was pretty good. Like Dins said, Cooper did a good job. As with any movie based on a true story, some liberties were taken regarding portrayal of facts.
Kyle wouldn't have minded. He took plenty of liberties in his own portrayal of a number of "facts."
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

mvscal wrote:
Smackie Chan wrote:I thought it was pretty good. Like Dins said, Cooper did a good job. As with any movie based on a true story, some liberties were taken regarding portrayal of facts.
Kyle wouldn't have minded. He took plenty of liberties in his own portrayal of a number of "facts."
Certainly seems to be the case. Picking off looters in NOLA from the roof of the Superdome after Katrina and shooting a couple would-be robbers at a gas station don't appear to have much basis in fact.

Tom Waits
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Nor his libel of Jesse Ventura.
LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

I called bullshit on this propaganda flick a couple weeks ago. Sure, Cooper is an excellent actor, playing Kyle, the eagle-eyed butter-brained puppet of War Inc. very well. But the shameless justification for being in Iraq in the first place is delivered like a pizza. Just start chowing down and don't think about anything. The real Kyle was a egotistacal bullshitter--whose estate is on the hook for several hundred thousand dollars to Jesse Ventura for Kyle's ridiculous libel smear in his book.

And really, what kind of "Boo Ya!" fuck knuckle takes a PTSS patient to a shooting range for therapy? :oops:
Last edited by LTS TRN 2 on Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Before God was, I am
BarFlie
x-grunt

Post by BarFlie »

I'm somewhat impressed with the fact that many viewers were left speechless at the end. I guessing that Clint Eastwood did a pretty good job of conveying the old "war is hell" cliche and was able to punctuate it with "but actual combat is a motherfucker". It's one of those "if you weren't there then shut the fuck up" things.
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

88 wrote:By the way, I wanted to see Birdman but saw American Sniper after losing a coin flip to Mrs. 88. I heard that it was very good (still have not seen it). Birdman is supposed to be as entertaining as The Grand Budapest Hotel, which was also very good.
Birdman is an amazing movie 88. It's all done in one continuous tracking shot, extraordinary in itself, with exceptional performances from the entire cast, but Keaton really is that good.

Best pure piece of film making I've seen in a couple of years.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

BarFlie wrote: It's one of those "if you weren't there then shut the fuck up" things.

What if you were there...and some soldiers torched your house and shot your dad?

Should you "shut the fuck up" then as well?
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
BarFlie
x-grunt

Post by BarFlie »

Shlomart Ben Yisrael wrote:
BarFlie wrote: It's one of those "if you weren't there then shut the fuck up" things.

What if you were there...and some soldiers torched your house and shot your dad?

You took that out of context and missed it by a mile Ben... and yes I was there, were you?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

BSmack wrote:BTW, the only time I ever clapped at a movie was during Raiders of the Lost Ark when Indy wasted that arab sword dude. I was 13 then.
hmm... can't remember if I clapped but I was 13 when I saw the first Star Wars movie. It was worthy of applause at that time, at least to me.

Laughter is a different matter. I saw a Richard Pryor standup comic movie when I was 18 and laffed so hard it made my gut hurt. The theater was packed and pretty much everyone was rolling in the aisles.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Shlomart Ben Yisrael wrote:

Because his dad was a raghead terrorist who planted IEDs and deserved to be shot a long time before he actually was. Good riddance.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

BSmack wrote:Not going. When assholes started posting on social media about how watching a movie was an act of patriotism I decided I could wait for it to hit streaming sites.
So what is the difference ?
Derron
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

Derron wrote:
BSmack wrote:Not going. When assholes started posting on social media about how watching a movie was an act of patriotism I decided I could wait for it to hit streaming sites.
So what is the difference ?
Not needing to deal with jackoffs I'm guessing. I felt the same way about Fahrenheit 911. Rather watch it at home than deal with a dark room full of trust fund hippies and granolas in socks and sandals.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Nailed it. Actually, I saw Fahrenheit 911 in the theater. It was the last time I ever watched a Michael Moore film. For a man that large you think he would offer some substance to his work.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
The State
Ren Fairy

Post by The State »

Sudden Sam wrote:Saw Sniper Saturday. I enjoyed it, but I didn't think it was Oscar-worthy. The combat scenes are really good, but again, I wasn't blown away or anything.

We like to brainwash our citizens with bullshit. They're easily persuaded and programmed by CNN, FOXNews, etc. We've never considered our citizens to be very bright. Because, they aren't.

If you really want to know how things go down in the middle east.

The Green Prince.

http://viooz.ac/movies/26120-the-green-prince-2014.html

Hopefully, you'll learn something.
EAP wrote: Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:39 am The STATE has all the answers
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Dinsdale wrote:Bradley Cooper was really good.
really? I thought he was pretty stiff but I think that's what Chris Kyle was really like.....seen a few interviews of him and Cooper seemed to emote Kyle fairly well but I'm not sure it was oscar worthy stuff.....
The battle scenes were intense.

The rest of the movie was shit.

But it was mostly battle scenes.
totally agree....the fighting scenes were well done, but the rest of the movie just laid there
get out, get out while there's still time
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Felix wrote:
the fighting scenes were well done,
No.... they were not. At least that is what 3 guys who were in country, one of them a Marine scout sniper, told me after seeing the movie.

Spotters do not sit there playing Gameboys while the sniper picks off rags.

The roof top battle towards the end was complete bullshit according to them.
Derron
LTS TRN 2
I suck Jew cock

Post by LTS TRN 2 »

88 wrote:
Smackie Chan wrote:
88 wrote:I wanted to see Birdman
I didn't think it was as great as a lotta peeps are making it out to be.
I saw it tonight. A different kind of flick, I'll give you that. I thought Michael Keaton was great. And Ed Norton was awesome too. Great 2 hours, in my opinion.
A great comedy for adults. Very innovative and difficult to pull off. It should win for Best Actor, while Imitation Game should get Best Flick
Before God was, I am
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Wait. What? He's dead? Is that in the movie?