John Fox out in Denver, 2015 coaching changes

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

John Fox out in Denver, 2015 coaching changes

Post by Joe in PB »

Last edited by Joe in PB on Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Butkus didn't wear an earring.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Re: John Fox out in Denver

Post by Felix »

not really a huge surprise because once again a Fox lead team underperformed.....Elway goes out and gets the defensive guys they need, and Fox still can't bring it home.....granted, Manning has been playing injured since the Eggo game, but Denver looked really bad in their last 4 regular season games......I don't think it would have mattered if he'd won the Indy game or even the AFC championship.....Elway wants a Super Bowl and the only way Fox was going to keep his job is if he brought the championship trophy back to Denver with him.......

the question now is who do you replace him with?
get out, get out while there's still time
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

So is the rest of the coaching staff. Looks like Mr. Ed is cleaning house. I'm sure a roster purge can't be far behind.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

mvscal wrote:So is the rest of the coaching staff. Looks like Mr. Ed is cleaning house. I'm sure a roster purge can't be far behind.
Denver has a lot of free agency issues so I have no doubt there's going to be some significant roster changes in the near term......not sure Kubiak would be the best choice but I know he and Elway have a lot of respect for each other and are friends......the best way to kill a friendship is to work for your friend......that comes from multiple experiences......
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Seems to me if the Broncos really wanted Gase they wouldn't let the 9ers have first dibs on an interview. I think Elway blows the whole thing up.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... er-broncos
Broncos general manager John Elway wants Peyton Manning back for another playoff run in 2015.

Where does Elway turn, though, if Manning decides to hang up his spikes this offseason?

The Broncos have been planning for that eventuality since the 2012 NFL Draft, when they selected Brock Osweiler in the second round.

"I can tell you from sources inside the Broncos organization, this is a guy they feel very good about," NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported on NFL Network on Tuesday. "The reviews internally on Brock Osweiler are high, so if Peyton Manning does not come back, they do feel confident that they have a quarterback who can step in and have some level of success in there after Peyton Manning, whenever he does decide to retire."

It's to be expected that the personnel department responsible for drafting Osweiler still harbors strong feelings about his potential.

In 12 preseason games and a few regular-season mop-up appearances, the 6-foot-8 Osweiler has completed 100 of 170 passes (58.8 percent) for 1,089 yards (6.4 yards per attempt) and a four-to-five touchdown-to-interception ratio.

Like many inexperienced quarterbacks, he has struggled at times to read defenses.

The Broncos can bolster a young signal-caller's chances of success by re-signing free agents Demaryius Thomas and Julius Thomas to go with an increasingly robust rushing attack.

From what we have seen of Osweiler on Game Rewind, though, the offense would suffer a substantial decline in the transition from one of the all-time greats to a relative unknown.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Elway disagreed with Fox on how to get to the next level

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... next-level
At one point, Elway was asked what's missing for the Broncos.

"We have not chosen to peak at the right time," he said. "When you look at our seasons, we've come out of the gate a lot faster than we've finished. So if there's one thing I can point at, we haven't finished as strong as we've started. For us to do what we want to do, for us to win a championship like Mr. Bowlen wants to do, we've got to be peaking at the right time and we haven't been able to do that."
I think Elway wants Manning gone, when he states "we've come out of the gate a lot faster than we've finished", I think that applies to Peyton. I know he's publicly stated he wants Manning back, but don't be surprised if Manning decides to retire, or play elsewhere next season. Personally I agree, Manning looked cooked against the Colts, and his demeanor early on in that game was of a defeated player.

As the season progresses Peyton's body wears down, add late season chill and wind, and he just doesn't have it anymore.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Manning is 2000 yards away from Brett Favre. He isn't retiring. I know the Bills would take him.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Rex Ryan?

A has been in Manning who's play will drop off the last 6-8 weeks of the season? While better than what they have on the roster now, definitely not the answer.

Same ole' Bills.

Ryan was a terrible hire. Same hyperbole that was old 3 years ago for the NYJ. The guy is just like his father, a good defensive coordinator, and a QB killer.

Buffalo (used to be NYJ), where QBs go to die.

I give Ryan 3 years, then rinse & repeat.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

The word is Del Rio will bring Tressman and Mike Smith with him.

That's a pretty solid upgrade in coaching if it pans out.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

R-Jack wrote:The word is Del Rio will bring Tressman and Mike Smith with him.
How is it that a guy who has a record of 68-71 as a head coach is considered a "great hire"?
That's a pretty solid upgrade in coaching if it pans out.
it is an upgrade, but then again they could have hired me and I'd be an upgrade to the train wreck that was Dennis Allen/Tony Sparano "era" of duhs football......

jeezus those guys were terrible.....
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

49ers fire Jim Harbaugh for Jim Tomsula? Talk about anti-climatic.....

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12168 ... head-coach
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

Felix wrote:
How is it that a guy who has a record of 68-71 as a head coach is considered a "great hire"?.
Hey, we all can't get flashy names like John Fox or rising stars like Peyton Mannings errand boy.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Joe in PB wrote:Rex Ryan?

A has been in Manning who's play will drop off the last 6-8 weeks of the season? While better than what they have on the roster now, definitely not the answer.

Same ole' Bills.
For a team with no first round pick this year, they could do a lot worse than Peyton Manning throwing for 4k with that defense and running game.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Re: John Fox out in Denver, 2015 coaching changes

Post by Joe in PB »

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2330 ... tor-search
49ers Play Safe with Tomsula Hire, Future Lies in Offensive Coordinator Search
By Sean Tomlinson

The San Francisco 49ers made a mistake by parting ways with Jim Harbaugh. But that's in the past now, and the future was always going to lie with either an innovative offensive mind or someone familiar who could be controlled by meddling ownership.

In the end, control won, and former defensive line coach Jim Tomsula has been promoted to become the franchise's 19th head coach, according to a report from ESPN's Adam Schefter that was later confirmed by the 49ers......This hiring isn't a mistake or a misstep. Instead it's safe, though still difficult to digest after a coach who had a 44-19-1 record and went to three straight NFC Championship Games (oh, and a Super Bowl) just left town.

......Although Tomsula worked alongside Harbaugh, he has a deeper relationship with the 49ers and CEO Jed York that extends beyond the team's most recent ex-coach. That gives him a more forgiving ear and will avoid the alpha-male divide that separated Harbaugh from York and general manager Trent Baalke........The real direction of the 49ers still lies in who takes the helm of the offense and can steer what was a rudderless ship away from troubled waters. York and Baalke had an opportunity to put an offensive mind atop the coaching hierarchy but chose to pass on Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase.......Gase represented a risk with his lack of head coaching experience. But Tomsula isn't far ahead in that regard, though being a head coach for one season in NFL Europe earns him some experience points.

What Tomsula has, however, is a relationship, and it's one that feels cozy for his superiors. If he represents the status quo, the 49ers have failed as an organization.
Last edited by Joe in PB on Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... to-inspire
Jack Del Rio and Jim Tomsula? Raiders and 49ers fail to inspire
By Adam Schein

On Wednesday, the Bay Area's two NFL teams made coaching hires. And I have a really strong take on what happened in Oakland and San Francisco:

Eh.

And to think, I get paid to have a fiery, educated opinion.

Actually, I think "eh" is a completely reasonable way to respond to the Raiders appointing Jack Del Rio as their new head man and the 49ers promoting Jim Tomsula to lead the team. I could also opt for uninspiring or, in some ways, head-scratching. Del Rio and Tomsula don't really move the meter in terms of buzz or track record.

What they do represent is even more pressure on the men at the top of the food chain.

Raiders fans dreamed of Jon Gruden or Jim Harbaugh. Instead, it's Jack Del Rio.

Del Rio grew up in the Bay Area. His family still has Raiders season tickets. His Raider Nation chops are legit.

But would he have gotten a serious look as a head-coaching candidate for any other NFL team?

....At the end of the day, Del Rio is a major upgrade over Dennis Allen. But does he take the Raiders to the next level? Mike Shanahan could've been the guy to do that. Taking a flier on a young offensive mind without prior head-coaching experience, someone like Adam Gase, would've intrigued me more. Stanford coach David Shaw would've been beyond ideal.

But Oakland went with Del Rio. What does this mean for the franchise going forward? Well, it puts even more pressure on Reggie McKenzie.

While the Raiders' general manager deserves much credit for nabbing a pair of genuine building blocks in last May's draft -- playmaking linebacker Khalil Mack and bright young quarterback Derek Carr -- the overall roster remains one of the worst in the NFL by any measuring stick. McKenzie's track record in free agency is laughable. And in the three years with McKenzie at the helm, Oakland has gone 11-37. That's unacceptable.

So are the Raiders simply (and wrongly) spinning their wheels? How does Allen get the boot, but McKenzie gets to stay for Year 4? Don't get me wrong, the head coach deserved to go, but how about the man who assembled the roster? And if Del Rio can't pilot the Raiders to a winning season this year, does McKenzie finally lose his gig, forcing Del Rio to work with a GM who didn't hire him? (Never a good situation in the NFL.)

Commitment to excellence or commitment to confusion? I just don't get it. And the Bay Area's other team has some explaining to do, as well.

.......I know how good a defensive line coach Tomsula is, and how much Niners players respect him. But is he ready for such a gigantic leap? Who is going to develop and maximize Colin Kaepernick?

And there's the bigger picture here, too.

Jed York won the power struggle with Jim Harbaugh, but he lost one of the greatest coaches in all of football -- a man who immediately turned around the chaotic franchise after Mike Singletary's clown act. Harbaugh made it to three straight NFC title games (and a Super Bowl). This cannot be minimized in any manner.

Quite clearly, York didn't care for Harbaugh's cantankerous personality. And now Harbaugh's gone. But as a boss -- and this goes for York, in conjunction with general manager Trent Baalke -- you have to put personal differences aside to win games. You don't have to exchange Christmas cards or share meals. But you do have to keep a great thing going.

York and Baalke chased out Harbaugh, and now the pressure is solely on them. I doubt Tomsula will make Niners Faithful forget about the winning ways under Harbaugh. Nobody could. Nobody should.

So here we are, with a pair of Bay Area hires that were just OK. And for very different reasons, that won't cut it.

But it will rightly shift the focus of blame.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2330 ... head-coach
Insider Buzz: Chicago Bears to Hire John Fox as Next Head Coach
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Most of these HCing hires leave a lot to be desired IMO. I think Todd Bowels might be the best one to this point, at least he's not a retread and brings something to the table as it was his defense that help propel AZ to the playoffs. Not sure the same can be said of Seattle's Dan Quinn, who is under defensive mind Pete Carroll.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2329 ... -york-jets
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... pportunity
Kubiak and Harbaugh to discuss Broncos opportunity

Ravens offensive coordinator Gary Kubiak said he's happy right where he is. That's about to be put to the test.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday that the Broncos have put in a formal request to speak with Kubiak about their head-coaching vacancy, according to a team source. The Ravens felt obligated to accept that request, according to NFL Media's Albert Breer. Baltimore coach John Harbaugh and Kubiak will discuss the situation on Thursday morning, per a team source.

The Broncos are in the market after mutually parting ways with John Fox on Monday. Team president John Elway told the rest of the coaching staff they are free to speak with other teams, leading to speculation that a hire will come from outside the organization. Kubiak and Elway have a connection -- Kubiak was Elway's backup for eight seasons during their playing days in Denver.

Kubiak has a wealth of experience from his eight-year run as coach of the Houston Texans, but he said earlier this week that he intended to remain with the Ravens in 2015.

"It is flattering and humbling to be invited to interview for a number of NFL head coaching positions, and I greatly appreciate these opportunities," Kubiak said. "But I have decided to stay with the Ravens. This is a special organization and we, like (John) Harbaugh says, are building something great. I want to be a part of that and contribute in whatever ways I can."

The Broncos aren't so sure Kubiak can't be swayed. We'll find out soon enough.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ts-tracker
.....Denver Broncos

Potential candidates:
Adam Gase, Broncos offensive coordinator
Dan Quinn, Seahawks defensive coordinator
Teryl Austin, Lions defensive coordinator
Gary Kubiak, Ravens offensive coordinator

Notes: Broncos GM John Elway and offensive coordinator Adam Gase met Wednesday morning at the team's facility about the head coaching opening, according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport ... Rapoport reports that Quinn will receive consideration. ... Kubiak shouldn't be ruled out as a candidate, per NFL Media's Jeff Darlington. The Ravens offensive coordinator is a former teammate of Elway. Ravens HC John Harbaugh plans to sit down with Kubiak on Thursday to discuss Denver's interest, according to NFL Media's Albert Breer. Denver put in a request on Wednesday to speak with Kubiak, Rapoport reported. ... On Tuesday, Denver put in a request to interview Austin, per Rapoport. The interview with Austin will take place on Friday, assuming Austin makes it back from his interview with Atlanta, Rapoport reported Wednesday, per a source informed of Denver's thinking.

Atlanta Falcons

Reported interviews:
Josh McDaniels, Patriots offensive coordinator
Doug Marrone, former Bills coach
Teryl Austin, Lions defensive coordinator
Dan Quinn, Seahawks defensive coordinator
Keith Armstrong, Falcons special teams coordinator

Notes: Rapoport reports the Falcons have strong interest in Quinn. ... Rapoport also reported Austin will have a second interview with the Falcons on Thursday.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

Joe in PB wrote:at least he's not a retread
In the Raiders case, who the Hell else would want that job? Quality free agents under 30 aren't coming. The lease on where to play is year to year and you know there is no stadium to be built if they stay. The ownership only looks better because the neighboring team is in the process of getting "York'ed" as we speak. Working with a couple of decent young players doesn't offset the organizational challenges for any candidate with star power and options.

I like The Del Rio hire, but I'm aware that we are more likely hiring the best candidate looking to come here as opposed to the best candidate.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

KC Scott wrote:Supposedly Del Rio trying to bring in Trestman & Mike Smith as coordinators
Try scrolling up occasionally
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Sudden Sam wrote:
KC Scott wrote:Supposedly Del Rio trying to bring in Trestman & Mike Smith as coordinators
Great staff if he gets them.
I agree, and saw enough from the Raiduh's last season to know they have some good players along with a very good prospect at QB.
R-Jack wrote: I like The Del Rio hire, but I'm aware that we are more likely hiring the best candidate looking to come here as opposed to the best candidate.
Speaking about limited opportunities for Raiduh HCing hires, the 2nd rate organization might have torpedoed their chances at Trestman and other top assistants.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/video/glaz ... 4985155586

I'm not a fan of John Fox who i think gets the least out of more, Mike Shanahan would be a much better choice IMO. Maybe he can get something out of Cutler besides underachievement. Fox will only stoke those flames IMO. Rex Ryan I'm also not a fan of, he is already regurgitating his Jets rhetoric in Buffalo. Sounds just as old as if he were still in NY. Considering he doesn't have a QB and he has no skill on developing one, his task is impossible. Best case scenario, Manning signs and fizzles out in the 2nd half of the season. Trouble is Manning won't sign, he wants to win, not go up against Brady twice a season, or play in Siberia where winter starts Labor day weekend.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

The latest news & speculation from Rotoworld:
ESPN's Ed Werder reports the Ravens "expect" OC Gary Kubiak to be named the Broncos' next head coach.
Kubiak is interviewing with the team on Sunday. Per Werder, coach John Harbaugh would be "understanding" if Kubiak went back on his word to remain in Baltimore. Harbaugh appears sympathetic to Denver being a special opportunity for Kubiak, who both played and coordinated in the rockies. Doug Marrone has reportedly canceled his Broncos interview, which is another sign GM John Elway is zeroing in on Kubiak as his man.
The Baltimore Sun reports the Ravens will be interested in Kyle Shanahan for their offensive-coordinator vacancy if Gary Kubiak leaves for Denver.
It would be a seamless transition for Joe Flacco and Co. from Kubiak to Shanahan, as both run the same offense they learned from former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan. Shanahan is also on the Bears and Rams' radars.
CSN Bay Area reports Mike Shanahan is a candidate for the 49ers' offensive-coordinator vacancy.
That's Mike, not Kyle. NBC Washington's Dianna Marie Russini first had the news. It's hard to believe the 62-year-old Shanahan would be able to swallow his pride to be a coordinator, but stranger things have happened. It would be excellent news for Colin Kaepernick and company.
FOX Sports' Mike Garafolo reports there's a "lot of talk" that Kyle Shanahan is "hitching his wagon" to Seahawks DC Dan Quinn.
Shanahan made waves by turning down the 49ers' request to interview for their offensive-coordinator vacancy, but could have an agreement to join up with Quinn if/when he's hired by the Falcons. Quinn is considered the heavy favorite to replace Mike Smith in Atlanta, but can't formally be hired until the Seahawks are eliminated. Landing with Matt Ryan after years in the Brian Hoyer/Robert Griffin III wilderness would be a boon for Shanny's future prospects.
NBC Washington reports ex-Falcons coach Mike Smith is unlikely to join Jack Del Rio's staff in Oakland as defensive coordinator.
Smith had been reported as Del Rio's "top choice." Smith coordinated the Jaguars' defense from 2003-07 before being hired as the Falcons' head coach.
NFL Network's Mike Silver reports the Raiders have hired ex-Falcons OL coach Mike Tice for the same position.
There were reports Atlanta denied the Raiders permission to speak to Tice earlier in the week. Tice will reunite with Jack Del Rio, who he previously served under as an assistant head coach in Jacksonville. One of the best offensive line coaches in the league, Tice is an excellent addition to Del Rio's staff.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

John Fox Hire Puts Chicago Bears Back on Track to Perennial Mediocrity

I just heard on the NFL network that Cutler is due $25 million this season & there's a good chance he is cut. The QB carousel might be more interesting than the coaching carousel.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I'd be happy for him if he got the Atlanta job but selfishly I want Austin to stay as the Lions DC for at least another year.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Joe in PB wrote:John Fox Hire Puts Chicago Bears Back on Track to Perennial Mediocrity

I just heard on the NFL network that Cutler is due $25 million this season & there's a good chance he is cut. The QB carousel might be more interesting than the coaching carousel.

Maybe Peyton follows Fox to Chicago for a season? Nice weapons to work with in Marshall, Jeffrey, Bennett and Forte.
FLW Buckeye
2014 T1B FBBL Champ

Post by FLW Buckeye »

Shoalzie wrote:
Joe in PB wrote:John Fox Hire Puts Chicago Bears Back on Track to Perennial Mediocrity

Maybe Peyton follows Fox to Chicago for a season? Nice weapons to work with in Marshall, Jeffrey, Bennett and Forte.
Shit, he's got the same quality weapons in Anderson, Thomas, Thomas, and Sanders in Denver.
“Hey! You scratched my anchor!”
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Mike Shanahan would have been a better hire in Chicago IMO. The last time Cutler was a decent player was under Shanahan. Then have Cutler redo his contract and move forward.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Arthur Blank is the problem in Atlanta. What gets results is hiring a GM, then having him find a HC & assistants. Blanks insertion in the process fucks everything up, just like Snyder in Washington and Jones in Dallas. The best thing that happened for Cowboy fans was Jerry's son having more say/sway, and the Cowboys ending up with Zack Martin instead of Johnny Manziel.

Blank keeping the previous staff is never a good thing, most top HC candidates will balk at inheriting the previous staff that failed, and walk. I'm sure Blank likes the idea, so he can save money.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

The latest from Rotoworld:
Raiders hired Bill Musgrave as offensive coordinator.
Musgrave, 47, was the Eagles' QBs coach this past season and oversaw Nick Foles' multiple steps back from his breakout 2013 under then-QBs coach-turned-Dolphins OC Bill Lazor. Prior to his time with the Eagles, Musgrave was the Vikings' offensive play-caller under coach Leslie Frazier. Musgrave failed miserably at using Percy Harvin and simply leaned on Adrian Peterson. It's not a promising hire for the Raiders in our opinion, but could be good news for Latavius Murray. Musgrave will have full control of the offense under defensive-minded coach Jack Del Rio. Musgrave worked under Del Rio in Jacksonville.
Fart....
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

mvscal wrote:

Reaction?

BWHAHAHAHA!!
Sad to say but i think he's a lot better hire than John Fox.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

The latest from Rotoworld.
Ravens hired ex-Bears coach Marc Trestman as offensive coordinator.
Smarting from the loss of Gary Kubiak, the Ravens have found the best possible replacement. Trestman proved overmatched as the Bears' head coach, but has worked magic time and again with quarterbacks, from Rich Gannon to Josh McCown. Trestman fell on his face with a stubborn Jay Cutler, but is inheriting a much more "coachable" quarterback in Joe Flacco. Trestman's arrival should ensure Flacco's 2014 rebound from a rocky 2013 is not a one-year phenomenon.
Jets hired Chan Gailey as offensive coordinator.
Gailey's hiring was first reported a week ago, but an official announcement was delayed as Gailey angled for a better deal. Two weeks removed from his 63rd birthday, Gailey faltered as the Bills' head coach from 2010-12, but favors a fast-paced, modern offense. He spreads the field and tries to rack up plays. He's an improvement on the departing Marty Mornhinweg. Gailey's success, of course, will depend in large part on who is under center. Geno Smith would be an unideal solution, but certain to improve under Gailey's tutelage. The Jets will be strongly linked to ex-Bill C.J. Spiller in free agency.
ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Charlie Weis is a candidate for the Bears' offensive-coordinator vacancy.
That's in addition to Adam Gase, Lions QBs coach Jim Bob Cooter and 49ers QBs coach Geep Chryst. Weis is one of the worst head coaches in the history of college football, but has always succeeded as an NFL coordinator, most recently with the Chiefs in 2010.
Jaguars hired ex-Raiders OC Greg Olson as offensive coordinator.
An NFL assistant 13 of the past 14 years, Olson coordinated the Raiders' offense in 2013-14, and Tampa Bay's from 2008-11. In between, he served as coach Mike Mularkey's QBs coach in Jacksonville. It's not a flashy hire, but Olson did good work with Derek Carr and Terrelle Pryor in Oakland, and Josh Freeman in Tampa. The Jags obviously believe he'll be able to coax improvement out of sophomore QB Blake Bortles, who was wildly erratic as a rookie. The news leaves ex-Broncos OC Adam Gase without an obvious landing spot.
Jaguars hired Doug Marrone as "assistant head coach -- offensive line."
Marrone opted out of his Bills contract presumably thinking he'd get a new head-coaching gig, or at least a coordinator job. Instead, he settles for o-line duties where he'll fill in for George Yarno, who remains on a leave of absence for cancer treatments. The shred of good news for Marrone is that he'll still collect $4M from the Bills this season on top of his Jags salary.
Bears hired Vic Fangio as their defensive coordinator.
Both new Bears coach John Fox and Redskins coach Jay Gruden wanted Fangio to head up their defense. The consistently excellent Fangio, who fled from San Francisco after getting passed over for the head-coaching job, chooses to go for the unit with a little more talent. That's not to say he doesn't have his hands full however, as Mel Tucker's Bears fielded the league's No. 30 defense in both 2014 and 2013. But note that in four seasons with Fangio as the 49ers' defensive coordinator, they annually ranked in the top five -- including this year even though they played without Patrick Willis, Navarro Bowman, Aldon Smith and Tramaine Brock for extended periods. Expect the Bears to make a leap defensively next season. The Redskins will have to settle for Chargers LBs coach Joe Barry.
Redskins hired Chargers LBs coach Joe Barry as defensive coordinator.
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport had the exact same report six days ago, but it turned out the Redskins were still chasing down other candidates. Only after Vic Fangio chose to go with John Fox and the Bears did Barry get back on the top of Washington's list. So now the 'Skins are settling for an underwhelming Barry, who was the Lions defensive coordinator during 2007 and 2008 -- when the team went winless one year and ranked last in total defense both years. This Redskins unit is going to be a defense to attack from a fantasy perspective once again in 2015 -- especially in the pass game.
Ex-Jets OC Marty Mornhinweg is a candidate for the same position in Cleveland.
It's the first we've heard of Mornhinweg since he was jettisoned by New York. His interview is expected to take place this week at the Senior Bowl. Mornhinweg is about as average of a hire as a team could make, but would qualify as a get for a Browns team that's been passed up by all of this offseason's big names.
SiriusXM's Eddie Borsilli reports the "buzz" at the Senior Bowl is that Adam Gase "screwed up" getting the 49ers' job in his final interview.
Per Borsilli, Gase had the 49ers' job "locked up before the final meeting." It's unclear what Gase did to lose out to Jim Tomsula. Gase was a candidate for the Ravens and Jaguars' offensive coordinator vacancies, but was passed over in both towns. The 49ers, Rams, Browns and Bears are all still in search of play-callers, but Gase can probably be ruled out in San Francisco.
NBC Washington reports Bengals DBs coach Vance Joseph will be released from his contract so he can "pursue opportunities to become a defensive coordinator."
Joseph has been rumored to be a leading candidate to coordinate Gary Kubiak's defense in Denver. He's also been linked elsewhere. Joseph should officially have a new job before the end of the week.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Bears hired Adam Gase as offensive coordinator.
Gase will re-join John Fox after losing out on the 49ers and Broncos' head-coach jobs. Gase has been Fox's OC the last two years and will have total control over the Bears' offense. Gase's hire is good news for Alshon Jeffery and Matt Forte. Jeffery will presumably play the high-volume "Demaryius role" in Gase's attack. The Broncos were a top-five offense under Gase the last two seasons. Gase should resurface as a head-coaching candidate next offseason if he can prove he can win without Peyton Manning.
Browns hired John DeFilippo as offensive coordinator.
DeFilippo, 36, is from Youngstown, Ohio. He's never called plays at any level. The Raiders' QBs coach the past three seasons, DeFilippo was praised for his work with Derek Carr this past year, though Carr averaged a league-worst 5.5 YPA to go with an underwhelming 76.6 QB rating. DeFilippo was the Jets' QBs coach in 2009 when Browns coach Mike Pettine was New York's defensive coordinator.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

49ers hired TEs coach Eric Mangini as defensive coordinator.
The ex-head coach of the Jets and Browns, Mangini is pulling a Hue Jackson, going from position coach on one side of the ball to coordinator on the other. An overwrought Bill Belichick disciple, Mangini has a 33-47 career record as head coach, but his defensive bonafides have never been questioned. He should be a good defensive boss for Jim Tomsula, and still has a great base of talent to work with even though GM Trent Baalke has done a poor job of restocking the cupboard in recent years. The man formerly known as "Mangenius" is undoubtedly angling for one last shot at being a head coach. This is a nice launching pad.
49ers hired Tony Sparano as tight ends coach.
He's succeeding Eric Mangini, who will likely either be hired as the Raiders or 49ers' defensive coordinator. Sparano's background is mostly in coaching offensive lines, though he did work as a tight ends coach with the Redskins, Jaguars, and Cowboys in the early 2000s. The 49ers need to get more out of Vance McDonald and Derek Carrier. They may cut Vernon Davis.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Per Rotoworld:
Jets named Kacy Rodgers their defensive coordinator.
If the Dolphins were smart, they would've ousted Kevin Coyle and made Rodgers their defensive coordinator. Instead, Rodgers departs to re-team with Todd Bowles. Both are Bill Parcells disciples. One of the top D-Line gurus in football, Rodgers coached up Olivier Vernon, Cam Wake, and Jared Odrick in Miami, while getting career-best years from Randy Starks and Paul Soliai.
Bears hired Dowell Loggains as QB coach.
Loggains is making a lateral move after spending last season as the Browns' QB coach. He also previously served as the Titans' offensive coordinator from 2012-13. Considered one of the better quarterback coaches in the league, Loggains will be tasked with turning around Jay Cutler in Chicago.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Rotoworld's latest.
Colts re-signed Rob Chudzinski to a new contract under the title of associate head coach.
Chudzinski, who served as a "special assistant" to head coach Chuck Pagano in 2014, garnered interest from at least the 49ers and Rams over the last few weeks. It's interesting that he's passing on those offensive coordinator opportunities to stay in a background role with Indy. It's likely a financial promotion coupled with the presence of Andrew Luck (vs. Colin Kaepernick or Sam Bradford) swayed him. Regardless, arguably the top OC candidate that was still available is now off the board. Chud is a talent maximizer that loves to utilize the tight end in the pass game. His return is great news for Luck, Dwayne Allen, Coby Fleener and the entire Colts offense that ranked No. 3 in the league.
NFL Network's Albert Breer reports the 49ers are expected to promote QBs coach Geep Chryst to offensive coordinator.
This was expected when the 49ers hired Steve Logan as QBs coach. San Francisco is staying in-house after Rob Chudzinski re-signed with the Colts. Chryst has coached the 49ers' quarterbacks the last four seasons and has limited playcalling experience, but did serve as the Chargers' OC from 1999-2000. It's not an exciting hire for a team that already has an unproven coach in Jim Tomsula. The 49ers' coaching staff has taken a big step back this winter.
Broncos hired Wade Phillips as defensive coordinator.
Everyone except irrational Cowboys fans seems to realize how great a coach and defensive mind Phillips is. This is a fantastic hire for the Broncos, who reunite Gary Kubiak with Phillips after the two teamed to turn the Texans into a legitimate Super Bowl contender in the early 2010s. Phillips runs an aggressive "one-gap" 3-4 defense, which will play to the edge-rushing strengths of Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware. Outgoing DC Jack Del Rio essentially refused to blitz in 2014, and ultimately failed to maximize Denver's otherworldly defensive talent.
Good hire for the Broncos.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Joe in PB wrote:
Broncos hired Wade Phillips as defensive coordinator.
Everyone except irrational Cowboys fans seems to realize how great a coach and defensive mind Phillips is. This is a fantastic hire for the Broncos, who reunite Gary Kubiak with Phillips after the two teamed to turn the Texans into a legitimate Super Bowl contender in the early 2010s. Phillips runs an aggressive "one-gap" 3-4 defense, which will play to the edge-rushing strengths of Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware. Outgoing DC Jack Del Rio essentially refused to blitz in 2014, and ultimately failed to maximize Denver's otherworldly defensive talent.
Good hire for the Broncos.
Unfortunately...