88, L45, buckeye_in_sc

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Re: 88, L45, buckeye_in_sc

Post by Carson »

88 wrote:I think Cooper will disappear from Bama's offense.
Wrong.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Don't think the Bama offense will have too much trouble in this game. Michigan State did a very good job of neutralizing Bosa and that vaunted Buckeye d-line, and I'm pretty sure Bama has better talent up front than do the Spartans. Also, Ohio State does not have the DB talent to take Cooper out of the game. What I was impressed with however was OSU's o-line and their QB's ability to make quick and accurate decisions. Of course, they are now on to QB #3 so it remains to be seen how Jones will play, but Urban is an absolute wizard when it comes to preparing quarterbacks. The best in the business, I'd say.

I think this is a fairly competitive game but Bama tacks on a score or two late and covers. Which should be excellent news for Buckeye fans with the way my bowl picks have gone thus far.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Also, Ohio State does not have the DB talent to take Cooper out of the game.
Thanks, Marcus.

Care to name the team that does have such talent?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Dinsdale wrote:Thanks, Marcus.
That was a response to 88's statement without actually quoting him. Try to keep up.
Care to name the team that does have such talent?
Well, certainly not Oregon, not with your stud CB done for the year.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

OSU had a lot of mojo at the end of the season even with JT going down...

Honestly, this isn't your "normal" Alabama team...they have some warts like all the 4 in the playoff...

I like OSU's chances...a 2 score dog (I think the line settled around 9.5/10)...no one giving them a chance, teeth gnashing about how Baylor should have gotten in, etc. This all plays to Urban Meyer's want of a hungry team.

This OSU DL will be the best Alabama has faced all year. Bennett has really come on the last 6 weeks of the season and Aldphous Washington is a beast inside as well. While they may not have an answer for Cooper, they can and will hit and rattle Sims...as you saw in the first half of the Auburn game it's not as if the kid is AJ McCarron (sup SS)...so he can be rattled. The key is the two backs for Alabama...OSU has to tackle them and prevent the big yards after contact because they are a load.

OSU has a good run game and the OL has really come together. While most think the TE playing QB can't run he is deceptively mobile. I look for him to be in a moving pocket and also don't discount Jalin Marshall in the wild cat...I think OSU can exploit some of the edge against Bama since they actually have some edge speed (Marshall, Samuel, etc). Elliott also a big key for OSU in the run game.

I like OSU's chances in this one as I alluded to earlier...Meyer and company will open it up and play like they don't have another game.

OSU 34 Bama 23
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

I am also quietly optimistic about OSU's chances to win this game. Not too worried about the o-line stepping up, they have all season. QB Jones needs to be a distributor-- run the zone read, make some quick throws and then go deep to Smith on Bama's secondary. If he tries to be a hero and make plays that aren't there, it will be a long night. Jones is not nearly as mobile as JT Barrett or Braxton Miller but I think that will actually make OC Herman more resourceful in the play calling. Guy loved to run Miller & Barrett obsessively. We'll see.

On defense, OSU needs to take some chances and attack the LOS and try to get pressure on Sims from the onset. If they just sit back and watch, he will find Cooper often and the scoreboard will be lighting up often. I expect Yeldon and Henry to get some yards on the ground but if OSU can play fast to the ball like they did against Wisky (and I realize Wisky is no Alabama), I think they can get some key stops.

Anyhoos, like you guys, I am looking forward to all the games on Jan 1. I think both playoff games will be closer than the spread says. I'm taking:

Florida St 38
Oregon 31

Ohio State 33
Alabama 28
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Yeah, we know...heck why even have a playoff? They should just hand the trophy to the SEC West Champion every year...
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Sudden Sam wrote:You Buckeye fellers do know that Alabama goes 9-10 deep on the D-line, right? And there's no drop off in ability no matter who's in there.
As long as its the same ability across the line that gave up 44 points to Auburn, I'll be enthused.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

88 wrote:I have no idea what to expect. My instincts tell me that Blake Sims will make mistakes if pressured, and he will be pressured. I think OSU's linebackers pursue too hard, and will get gashed now and then. I think Cooper will disappear from Bama's offense. Ohio State's O-line better play well. If they do, I like OSU's chances. If not, then I think we lose.

They will shut down Cooper like they did Sammy Watkins last year.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

By chance, who's coaching Michigan's bowl game this year? :lol: