High School

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

High School

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Was just curious what all was going on everyone's neck of the woods in HS football.

They're calling tonight the biggest night in more than a generation for the Panhandle of Florida; Pt St. Joe (1A), Fort Walton Beach Choctaw (6A), and Niceville (7A), are all playing in the state semifinals.

I thought I might goad Dins on this if knows anything. One of my close friends went to Jesuit (was also the original UO Barrelman), another friend from school was a coach on the team at Aloha that won the state title, and back in my crazier days I had prolonged biblical knowledge of a lady who was a Sheldon grad.

Bonus toss in from me. A guy I went to HS with in NC and was the starter at my position before I moved into it (he moved to another position where I followed him as well) is now the HC at our former school. They went undefeated through the regular season, decimated everyone they played in one of the most difficult sections and counties in the state. First round of the playoffs they lost in spectacular fashion to a terrible team . . . every other team in the county who made the playoffs advanced easily.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: High School

Post by Dinsdale »

SunCoastSooner wrote: I thought I might goad Dins on this if knows anything. One of my close friends went to Jesuit (was also the original UO Barrelman), another friend from school was a coach on the team at Aloha that won the state title, and back in my crazier days I had prolonged biblical knowledge of a lady who was a Sheldon grad.

Your Jesuit friend was a spoiled rich kid? When I went to HS, Jesuit was a boys' school. The chant was always "We've got girls, yes we do, we've got girls, how 'bout you?"

The HS right down the street from me (Tigard, who won it a few years ago) took out perennial powerhouse Jesuit in the quarters. Central Catholic (Jesuit's archrival, who play out-of-league every season in the Holy War, which was replayed in the Finals last season) took out Sheldon in the semis. Once again, it's an all Portland-Metro finals. Fuck the private schools, go Tigard (my hood will have all sorts of decorated cars for weeks if they win). Even though Tigard eliminated my alma mater.

Aloha has only won once ever (traditional doormat), but that Tyner guy changed things. Aloha and Jesuit are in the same league as my HS, which is, and has been traditionally the strongest league in the state (Portland's western burbs take their football very seriously, the city proper and the eastern burbs don't seem to... more money out west, I guess).
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Dinsdale wrote:
SunCoastSooner wrote: I thought I might goad Dins on this if knows anything. One of my close friends went to Jesuit (was also the original UO Barrelman), another friend from school was a coach on the team at Aloha that won the state title, and back in my crazier days I had prolonged biblical knowledge of a lady who was a Sheldon grad.

Your Jesuit friend was a spoiled rich kid? When I went to HS, Jesuit was a boys' school. The chant was always "We've got girls, yes we do, we've got girls, how 'bout you?"

The HS right down the street from me (Tigard, who won it a few years ago) took out perennial powerhouse Jesuit in the quarters. Central Catholic (Jesuit's archrival, who play out-of-league every season in the Holy War, which was replayed in the Finals last season) took out Sheldon in the semis. Once again, it's an all Portland-Metro finals. Fuck the private schools, go Tigard (my hood will have all sorts of decorated cars for weeks if they win). Even though Tigard eliminated my alma mater.

Aloha has only won once ever (traditional doormat), but that Tyner guy changed things. Aloha and Jesuit are in the same league as my HS, which is, and has been traditionally the strongest league in the state (Portland's western burbs take their football very seriously, the city proper and the eastern burbs don't seem to... more money out west, I guess).
He's not rich but he has affluent family. I knew about Aloha always being a doormat until recently.

I think the woman I used to bang too it more seriously than any of them and one of them was a coach. Bitch is now a surgeon . . . crazier than hell.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

Post by Roger_the_Shrubber »

Niceville is bad ass. I saw them tear Lincoln High here in Tallahassee a new one a few years ago in the play offs. And they brought about 3K fans.
What were we just talking about?
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Round 4 of 6 this weekend in the Texas HS playoffs. I am officiating a 6A game tomorrow here in town.

We crown champions in 1A (six man football) thru 6A. You have to win six playoff games to be a state champ. 32 districts in each classification.

Finals across all levels are at Jerry World the Fri and Sat before Christmas.

Playoff game two weeks ago had 11,400 in the stands.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Between college football, NFL, college basketball, and MLB, that's enough sports consumption for me. In fact, probably too much as it is. If you are an avid high school football follower, without a son or close family member who plays, then you are a weird fucker.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:If you are an avid high school football follower, without a son or close family member who plays, then you are a weird fucker.

To each their own. I would rather watch a good HS game than Raiders Jags any day.

Granted many of you don't have even mediocre HS football.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Left Seater wrote:To each their own. I would rather watch a good HS game than Raiders Jags any day.
No NFL on Fridays, so it's not an either/or scenario.

I have no interest in bad NFL games either. I'll watch the Lions and catch some Red Zone action in the early afternoon. NFL playoffs are great. That's about the extent of my interest. I don't play fantasy football.
Granted many of you don't have even mediocre HS football.
Which makes it all the more impressive that my team could kick the crap out of a school like Texas.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote: Which makes it all the more impressive that my team could kick the crap out of a school like Texas.

Yep, congrats.

Texas will continue to do poorly in many of these made for TV games, especially against states where private schools compete with the public schools. Nothing like recruiting your players versus seeing what shows up to start summer practice.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Roger_the_Shrubber wrote:Niceville is bad ass. I saw them tear Lincoln High here in Tallahassee a new one a few years ago in the play offs. And they brought about 3K fans.
They have a radio network, too.

Only high school I've seen that has tailgating in the parking lot.

Hey SCS, where's Ken Bernich coaching now? Still at Navarre?
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Roger_the_Shrubber wrote:Niceville is bad ass. I saw them tear Lincoln High here in Tallahassee a new one a few years ago in the play offs. And they brought about 3K fans.
No shit? I was at the game the last three times we went there. Niceville is easily the best program in the area. John Hicks (HC and Niceville) is a friend of mine and obviously Roy Finch comes from there.

This was supposed to be a major rebuilding year and our first at 7A. The goal was to just eek into the playoffs. I think a state semifinal appearance will do. Beating Armwood is asking a bit much.

My wife went to Choctaw and I used to coach a lot of their kids in youth football so I like watching them and glad they're getting better. Damn near won last night.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Carson wrote:
Hey SCS, where's Ken Bernich coaching now? Still at Navarre?
Nope, defensive coordinator here at Choctaw now.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

SunCoastSooner wrote:
No shit? I was at the game the last three times we went there.
...and my wife and son were there for the 2009 playoff game. :shock:
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Sudden Sam wrote:Hoover beat Prattville in the new 7A division the other night. P'ville and Hoover now 3-3 over the last ten or so years in the finals.

Some blowouts in Auburn. Madison Academy beat Dale County 70-34 in 3A. Couple of good RBs in that game.
Florida is up to 8A now. The top 32 in 8A are all Miami, Tampa, and Jacksonville schools. Niceville moved up to 7a and they are only one of eight schools in 7A who aren't from the same or Tallahassee.

7A is basically the real "statewide" champion. 8A is basically the Miami/Jacksonville invitational. 7A was like that for the first two years of the new system as well.

No offense Sam, but it's proven time and time again that Hoover would just be another contender at 7A in Florida in their good years. The two times they have stepped to an 8A Florida team it was massacre. When they play 7A teams it's a competitive show. There's no shame in that.

Pville has a tradition of picking on Pcola teams but a couple of years ago they put their big boy pants on and stepped to the mic with a home and home against Niceville. First year in Niceville they got blasted and they hung it on the Roy and Colby but they were graduating . . . next season, no Roy, no Colby, same ass raping but in Pville. East Gasden (?) stepped the next two years, same result.

Valdosta in Georgia won't schedule the Jacksonville schools anymore unless ESPN pays them.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Valdosta has always been a poser school.

They used to get an automatic bye every playoff.

Jeff Davis in The Gump got destroyed a few years ago by...Moseley.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

I remember them going to the finals about 15 years ago, but yeah they suck hind tit now.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Sudden Sam wrote:
SunCoastSooner wrote: No offense Sam, but it's proven time and time again that Hoover would just be another contender at 7A in Florida in their good years. The two times they have stepped to an 8A Florida team it was massacre. When they play 7A teams it's a competitive show. There's no shame in that.
No offense taken. I could care less about Hoover, but are you sure the Florida schools owned them? I can't find their record against panhandle teams, but I thought they did really well.

I know they lost to Central/Miami this year. 24-21, I believe.
Like I said, they put on a competitive show against 7A Florida. Miami Central isn't one of the "Power 32" in 8A. They're a 7A team.

They beat Pace (5A team), Milton (5A/6A they move up and down), and Pcola Schools. They beat one of the big 7A schools from Jville one year. They've never really played Niceville, Choctaw, or Crestview (Okaloosa county). When they had those close title games with Pville a few years ago were the same years that Nvillle decimated Pville.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

The real state championship was played last night between Katy and Manvel (6A Division II). Katy destroyed Manvel like they've destroyed every opponent on their way to the sate finals.

Tonight, however, is very special for me and a lot of others who lived 30 minutes north of Houston during their high school years. My alma mater, Spring (last playoff appearance was in 2004 and has never made it to the 3rd round), plays powerhouse and their arch rival Westfield tonight at TDECU Stadium for a shot at state. I'll be in attendance along with several other alumni who have been a part of numerous gut-wrenching defeats against Westfield over the years. In my 36 years on this green earth I've personally witnessed 16 losses to Westfield and 0 wins. It's like OU vs Ok State but worse.

This game means everything to the Spring community. They've had nothing but bad press in the media over the last few years about the school (stabbing death of a student on campus, most student-teacher sexual relationships of any other school in the Houston area back in early 2000s, etc.) Time has moved like molasses today as I anxiously await the 7pm kickoff.

Go Lions!
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Go Coogs' wrote:The real state championship was played last night between Katy and Manvel (6A Division II). Katy destroyed Manvel like they've destroyed every opponent on their way to the sate finals.

Wrong and wrong. Katy and Cedar Hill have played each other in the 5A div 2 finals for the past two season. Katy won in 2012 and Cedar Hill in 2013. The scores were 35-24 and 34-24 respectively. While Manvel is a decent team, that was hardly the real state championship.

Go Coogs' wrote:The real state championship was played last night between Katy and Manvel (6A Division II). Katy destroyed Manvel like they've destroyed every opponent on their way to the sate finals.

Tonight, however, is very special for me and a lot of others who lived 30 minutes north of Houston during their high school years. My alma mater, Spring (last playoff appearance was in 2004 and has never made it to the 3rd round), plays powerhouse and their arch rival Westfield tonight at TDECU Stadium for a shot at state. I'll be in attendance along with several other alumni who have been a part of numerous gut-wrenching defeats against Westfield over the years. In my 36 years on this green earth I've personally witnessed 16 losses to Westfield and 0 wins. It's like OU vs Ok State but worse.
Make that 0-17. Sorry about that. Strangely, my crew will officiate the Westfield vs Cedar Hill in the 6A semifinals Saturday in Georgetown. Georgetown stadium is the "house built by Friday Night Lights." 95% of the "Home" games on the TV show were filmed at Georgetown ISD.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Between college football, NFL, college basketball, and MLB, that's enough sports consumption for me. In fact, probably too much as it is. If you are an avid high school football follower, without a son or close family member who plays, then you are a weird fucker.
Bingo

Friday Night Lights: Great TV show. Terrible reality.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

I'll check weekly to see how my HS alma mater did (sometimes I miss a week) and how the area is doing, and I'll check when state playoffs are taking place, but that's it.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Dinsdale wrote:Fuck the private schools, go Tigard

If by "GO," I meant go out and take a 49-0 asskicking at the hands of the catholic school that hasn't lost in 2 years, then well done, Tigers.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Left Seater wrote:Make that 0-17. Sorry about that. Strangely, my crew will officiate the Westfield vs Cedar Hill in the 6A semifinals Saturday in Georgetown. Georgetown stadium is the "house built by Friday Night Lights." 95% of the "Home" games on the TV show were filmed at Georgetown ISD.
Sure enough. Funny story that it and "The Faculty" (HS sci-fi flick staring the future hobbit Elijah) were filmed within a couple of months of each other. FNL at Gtown and The Faculty at Lanier. I was an extra in both; The Faculty fed us much better, lol.

Georgtown's JoMo Rose was the uncredited extra playing the RB in the action scenes of the movie. Was a huge recruit but got hurt and ended up at Baylor. That kid was steal wheels on the field. He single handedly rolled us both years.

Many of the scenes in "Dazed & Confused" were filmed in my neighborhood and where my high school was later built as well.

Was a great time to be young and living in the Austin area for sure.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

SunCoastSooner wrote:

Many of the scenes in "Dazed & Confused" were filmed in my neighborhood and where my high school was later built as well.

What is Anderson HS??????
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Left Seater wrote:
SunCoastSooner wrote:

What is Anderson HS??????
Anderson is where they filmed the actual school scenes. My school didn't exist when the movie was filmed. Literally broke ground less than a month later and was completed in '94 (McNeil). Some of the neighborhood scenes were filmed in New Milwood at Carson and Parmer on Wilco side of the street.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

SunCoastSooner wrote:
Anderson is where they filmed the actual school scenes. My school didn't exist when the movie was filmed. Literally broke ground less than a month later and was completed in '94 (McNeil). Some of the neighborhood scenes were filmed in New Milwood at Carson and Parmer on Wilco side of the street.

Ahhh, a maverick. Was RRHS or Westwood a bigger rival?

Strangely enough I had RR vs Klein Collins in the second round of the playoffs.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

schmick wrote:Why did a school from California win the national championship last year?
Recruiting. HS football is good in CA. The teams become world class when they recruit.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Left Seater wrote:
SunCoastSooner wrote:

Ahhh, a maverick. Was RRHS or Westwood a bigger rival?

Strangely enough I had RR vs Klein Collins in the second round of the playoffs.
Round Rock definitely. Someone told me Stony Point is bigger now but it didn't exist then.

Round Rock was a fight for the stadium since we didn't have our own. The years we win we call it Maverick Stadium instead of Dragon. Had a couple kids get into trouble for really making it say it one year.