I'm usually eating my dinner in the right lane
17%

Total votes: 29

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: Interstate etiquette

Post by Mikey »

Diego in Seattle wrote:
Mikey wrote:Can't afford any more speeding tickets, so I pretty much turn on the Grateful Dead Channel and stick my cruise control to within 3 mph of the speed limit. I'll generally stay out of the left lane, unless either there are only two lanes or the left lane is moving at or below the speed limit. In either of those cases I don't GARA how bad you want me to move, you can go the fuck around me.

It might piss you off but
1) I won't get any speeding tickets
2) I'm getting 47 mpg
3) My blood pressure has gone way down
5) You're probably not going to get there any faster anyway
No, you won't get a ticket for speeding.

But you could be cited for violating California Vehicle Code section 21650.
You didn't read my post very carefully, or else you really don't know the law.

Maybe you're referring to CVC 22400, which also doesn't apply in the circumstances I described.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Mikey wrote:
Diego in Seattle wrote:
Mikey wrote:Can't afford any more speeding tickets, so I pretty much turn on the Grateful Dead Channel and stick my cruise control to within 3 mph of the speed limit. I'll generally stay out of the left lane, unless either there are only two lanes or the left lane is moving at or below the speed limit. In either of those cases I don't GARA how bad you want me to move, you can go the fuck around me.

It might piss you off but
1) I won't get any speeding tickets
2) I'm getting 47 mpg
3) My blood pressure has gone way down
5) You're probably not going to get there any faster anyway
No, you won't get a ticket for speeding.

But you could be cited for violating California Vehicle Code section 21650.
You didn't read my post very carefully, or else you really don't know the law.

Maybe you're referring to CVC 22400, which also doesn't apply in the circumstances I described.
It doesn't matter if you're only in the left lane every now & then. If you're in the left lane & not passing, you're in violation of the statute I cited. And no, I wasn't referring to the minimum speed law (which I didn't even have to look up to know what you were referring to). Regardless of what speed one is doing, if they're not passing the right lane, they need to get the fuck over.
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Jerkovich
Please pay attention to Me

Post by Jerkovich »

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Horrible Jersey Shore commentary, but funny video.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Diego in Seattle wrote:
It doesn't matter if you're only in the left lane every now & then. If you're in the left lane & not passing, you're in violation of the statute I cited. And no, I wasn't referring to the minimum speed law (which I didn't even have to look up to know what you were referring to). Regardless of what speed one is doing, if they're not passing the right lane, they need to get the fuck over.
You really do have a nasty habit of sticking your head up your ass in lame attempts to show that you're somehow smarter or something.

On a four lane divided highway (two lanes each direction) with a 55 mph speed limit and moderate to heavy traffic, if both lanes are moving at the speed limit you will NEVER see a driver get ticketed for "not passing the right lane", at least not in the real world. If the left lane is going 60 and there are a few assholes that want to weave in and out of traffic to go 75 and pass in the right lane then by your definition the person in the left lane is technically in violation also. You think any cop is going to write up the guy in the left lane who's going 60? Do you think than in any REAL WORLD situation, on a such a road, the left lane is EVER used only for passing?
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Good points 88. Maybe all these a-hole cruise controllers need is the newer technology found on the Mrs' SUV. The cruise control will monitor the road ahead and slow down automatically if there is a slower moving vehicle in front of hers. Once the lane is free or a lance change is initiated and the new lane is free, it will speed back up to the previous speed.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Left Seater wrote:Good points 88. Maybe all these a-hole cruise controllers need is the newer technology found on the Mrs' SUV. The cruise control will monitor the road ahead and slow down automatically if there is a slower moving vehicle in front of hers. Once the lane is free or a lance change is initiated and the new lane is free, it will speed back up to the previous speed.
Yes, good points. I'll admit to being a "cruise controller", especially on long drives, because it's more efficient and a lot less tiring. I don't necessarily keep it at one speed - I actually use the + and - to speed up or slow down if needed (the gas pedal and brake are also options if needed). My cruise control allows me to set a target speed and the car will accelerate or decelerate to match it.

On an interstate with four lanes in each direction I'll generally drive in lane 3 or lane 2, usually lane 3, at or slightly above the speed limit. I would only use lane 1 for passing and then pretty rarely, and I wouldn't pull in front of somebody travelling faster than I am without speeding up. However, if I'm cruising in lane 3 or lane 2 at that speed and see somebody coming up behind me I feel absolutely no responsibility to get out of their way. In those lanes I have at least equal right, at the speed limit, to drive the speed I'm driving. If you want to pass me then go the fuck around. That's what the left lane is for.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Mikey wrote:
Diego in Seattle wrote:
You really do have a nasty habit of sticking your head up your ass in lame attempts to show that you're somehow smarter or something.

On a four lane divided highway (two lanes each direction) with a 55 mph speed limit and moderate to heavy traffic, if both lanes are moving at the speed limit you will NEVER see a driver get ticketed for "not passing the right lane", at least not in the real world. If the left lane is going 60 and there are a few assholes that want to weave in and out of traffic to go 75 and pass in the right lane then by your definition the person in the left lane is technically in violation also. You think any cop is going to write up the guy in the left lane who's going 60? Do you think than in any REAL WORLD situation, on a such a road, the left lane is EVER used only for passing?
It doesn't happen often, but yes it does happen. Hopefully someday you'll find out the hard way.

SS;
The first time that semi traveling next to her blows a tire she'll be miraculously cured of that habit. ;)
9/27/22
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Sudden Sam wrote:My wife will ride along next to a semi FOREVER if I don't tell her to get the fuck past the damn truck. This is one of the reasons I drive 99% of the time.
She's side drafting, to increase her gas mileage. You should be grateful.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Diego in Seattle wrote:

It doesn't happen often, but yes it does happen. Hopefully someday you'll find out the hard way.
Really? Give me an example - when, where and what were the circumstances?

Certainly with your extensive DMV experience this shouldn't be much of a challenge.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Papa Willie wrote:Plus - always go at LEAST 5 mph over the limi
You really are that stupid.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Rooster
Eternal Scobode

Post by Rooster »

One nice thing about Cali is the motorcycle splitting lanes allowance. Drivers camped out in the left lane? Fly past them. Soccer moms driving in formation with that big rig? Scare the shit out of her by splitting the lane and 30 miles an hour quicker than her. Sure, I'm an asshole, but I get to where I want to go regardless of the ineptitude of other the 99% of drivers who shouldn't have a license.

Rooster's second rule of thumb: Flow through traffic like water down a stream. With your high beams on.
Cock o' the walk, baby!
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Papa Willie wrote:Plus - always go at LEAST 5 mph over the limi
You really are that stupid.
Hush, child. This discussion is limited to those who actually own a car. I'm usually 7 or 8 mph over.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Papa Willie wrote: always go at LEAST 5 mph over the limit
Correct, especially during rush hour, or you will get steam rolled. Better to be at 10 over.

even if a cop pulls up.
Incorrect.

Never pass a cop and if you see one coming from behind, let him pass you, no matter what lane you're in.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

I have passed cops before. I almost never flip them off any more, though.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

War Wagon wrote: Correct, especially during rush hour, or you will get steam rolled. Better to be at 10 over.
Jealous of your traffic.

Rare to get to 10 under the limit around here during heavy traffic periods (which is a lot more than an hour).
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Dinsdale wrote:
War Wagon wrote: Correct, especially during rush hour, or you will get steam rolled. Better to be at 10 over.
Jealous of your traffic.

Rare to get to 10 under the limit around here during heavy traffic periods (which is a lot more than an hour).

Speaking of your traffic, what the hell is the deal with the fear of bridges? Why are there only two bridges across the Columbia in the metro PDX area?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

War Wagon wrote:
Papa Willie wrote: always go at LEAST 5 mph over the limit
Correct, especially during rush hour, or you will get steam rolled. Better to be at 10 over.

even if a cop pulls up.
Incorrect.

Never pass a cop and if you see one coming from behind, let him pass you, no matter what lane you're in.
Funny, I spent the first 48 years or so of driving basically trying to push the envelope:

- How fast can you drive without getting stopped?
- 10 mph or so over the limit when possible. Even more if feeling like it's safe.
- Weave in and out of traffic to try and "make up time"
- Get right up behind somebody until they move over or a lane opens up
- Ultra competitive with other drivers - get pissed off if somebody gets in front of me or takes that open lane first
- Eyes constantly scanning mirrors (not a bad thing) and able to spot a highway patrol car more often than not from 1/4 mile or more ahead or behind
- Used to scare the OL shitless, because she wasn't in control, to the point where she was tightly grabbing the door handle and pressing her feet up against the floor

That all changed, or at least started to change, last March when I got this hybrid. It provides shitloads of feedback on average and instantaneous mpg, battery levels, electric motor vs. gas engine operation, regenerative braking efficiency, etc. Also an awesome cruise control system that allows very good control often without using the accelerator or brake pedal.

An engineer's dream. And I now find myself treating driving, not as a competitive race against all other drivers, but as a challenge to operate a large expensive machine as efficiently and safely as possible while still getting to my destination on time and in a relatively good mood.

- I usually drive on the interstate at the speed limit, or up to 5 mph over if the traffic is moving much faster than the posted limit.
- I set the cruise control at my desired speed and leave it there if possible. I'll use the "+" and "-" buttons to make minor adjustments.
- I will use the accelerator if necessary to pass and not get in anybody's way.
- I have found that if you drive just slightly slower than the majority of the traffic (there's always a mixture of fast and slower drivers) you almost never have to adjust the speed. I can use the cruise control in pretty heavy traffic because I rarely come up behind anybody. If I do then I can make any necessary adjustments.
- I won't change lanes if it looks like I'll be in somebody's way, and I try to be accommodating if somebody comes up behind me but, if they get all aggressive on me, then fuck them.
- On surface streets I pretty much stick to the speed limit. At stoplights I try to time things so I use as little braking as possible. The ultimate goal at each light is not to stop completely if at all possible.

I still have to fight the urge to drive ultra-aggressively but I'm getting better. I play the the Grateful Dead channel or Real Jazz and keep my eye on the mpg, which gets better the more smoothly I drive. Stay relaxed. It's amazing, some of the observations you can make when you change the way you drive.

- I never have to worry about getting a speeding ticket because I basically don't speed. This really makes driving a lot more pleasant.
- I might piss a few people off by driving this way, but I think I piss off a lot fewer people now than before.
- If there's a big pack of cars on the interstate it's much better to hang back and wait for it to break up than to fight your way through.
- It's generally better to stay in one lane in heavy traffic than to constantly jump lanes. By the time you get into the lane that was moving faster, that lane has often stopped and your previous lane is moving.
- Racing between lights is one of the dumbest things that you see a whole lot of people do. I take off gradually and brake gradually. I see people go flying by me only to see them at the next light. They race off the line and then I pull up next to them at the next light, or even in front of them because if I'm driving from behind I can pick the best lane at the next light.
- People take really stupid risks just to make up a car length or two.
- I get where I'm going just as fast, and a lot more relaxed, than I used to.
- If I see Diego coming up behind me, splitting the lane on my left, I might stick a golf club out the side window.

So, that's just me. Tear it apart at your leisure.
The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

Good attitude Mikey, no need to kill or be killed when traveling...just keep singing this to yourself, it works for me.

Going down the road feeling bad...

Nice to see my T1B fliends keeping an almost 9 year old thread alive! Nice work gang!

See you in a few (months/years).
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

The Whistle Is Screaming wrote:Good attitude Mikey, no need to kill or be killed when traveling...just keep singing this to yourself, it works for me.

Going down the road feeling bad...

Nice to see my T1B fliends keeping an almost 9 year old thread alive! Nice work gang!

See you in a few (months/years).
Hey TWIS, good to see you. If we can't keep old shit alive, then what are we all doing here anyway?

Me, lately I've been singing

Well this job I've got is just a little too hard,
Running out of money, lord, I need more pay.
Gonna wake up in the morning lord, gonna pack my bags,
I'm gonna beat it on down the line.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Re:

Post by Cuda »

bbqjones wrote:
R-Jack wrote:My pet peeve is when I am in the right lane and people coming on the freeway expect me to adjust to let them in.

Motherfucker, YOU are merging. YOU make the nessesary adjustments.
youre an asshole. get the fuck off the cellphone and drive like a man.
I miss bbqjones
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Left Seater wrote:Speaking of your traffic, what the hell is the deal with the fear of bridges? Why are there only two bridges across the Columbia in the metro PDX area?

I guess because there's only 2 north/south interstates?

Not enough people/businesses to justify one farther east, no freeway or anything resembling a major thoroughfare running north/south further north (remember, the Big C turns north at Portland). Without turning Marine Drive into a freeway which would just feed into where the existing bridges are, in between the 2 is worthless, unless they dug a big tunnel under the airport I suppose -- which would then just feed into surface streets/neighborhoods.

They could build one from from West Vancouver to the shipping ports in North Portland, just for truck traffic, but there's no freeway in West Vancouver.

So in short, there's no good place to put another one. Why would we want to increase access to those vile people from Vantucky anyway?

But the grifters want to replace the Interstate Bridge (I-5). I could crash this server explaining everything that's wrong with the ridiculous plan, but I'll try not to. First, they've spent 10 years and $180 million ($20 mil of which is unaccounted for, and mysteriously disappeared) "studying" and coming up with a plan -- a plan both the FAA (bridge is next to the oldest airfield in the world) and the Coast Guard said was not acceptable (you'd think someone might check regulations before blowing ?180 million on a design, but what d I know?). It's supposed to improve traffic congestion, so they want to tear down a 6 lane bridge that there's nothing wrong with to build... a 6 lane bridge... with tollbooths. Sounds like a genius plan to move more traffic. The "director" of the project is under criminal investigation for her "work" on the project, yet she's still campaigning for it (no, no red flags there). Washington said "Clark County across the river has actually passed laws forbidding Portland's light rail system from crossing the river... but that isn't stopping Oregon -- they want to finance a federal bridge by themselves, and still run the Crime Train over the river. It's also been pointed out they have no recourse (outside of Oregon) to collect unpaid tolls from Washingtonians.

Just ridiculous, disgusting grift.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Mikey wrote:
Diego in Seattle wrote:

Certainly with your extensive DMV experience this shouldn't be much of a challenge.
I had four or five students end up in my class with such a violation. The particulars? You think you'd remember all the details of each violation 16 years after you taught your last class? :lol: :lol:
9/27/22
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Diego in Seattle wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Diego in Seattle wrote:

I had four or five students end up in my class with such a violation. The particulars? You think you'd remember all the details of each violation 16 years after you taught your last class? :lol: :lol:
Since it seems to have stuck in your mind all these decades, yes I would think you would be able to recall at least something about the circumstances of at least one of them.

But to be truthful, no, I didn't expect you to have anything.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Well done 88, well done. :applause: