Andean Green Chili Stew

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

mvscal
Blank

Andean Green Chili Stew

Post by mvscal »

Essentially a bog standard chili verde with a couple Peruvian twists using potatoes and aji amarillo paste. Aji's are nearly impossible to find fresh or even dried and the paste will have to be ordered online. You can use serranos and/or jalapenos in the recipe but the flavor is totally different. Aji's have a more fruity flavor similar to habaneros except not nearly as hot. Mexicans don't use them but they are very common in Peruvian and Bolivian cuisine.

4 lbs boneless pork butt, trimmed and cubed into largish chunks
2 lbs tomatillos
2 lbs green chilis like anaheim, hatch or poblano.
2 lbs white onion, diced
1.5 lbs red potatoes, small dice like for skillet fries.
2 tbs aji amarillo paste or one jap and one serrano, diced with or without seeds depending on your heat preference
1/4 cup garlic, minced
one bunch cilantro
1 tbs cumin
2 tbs + oregano (dried)
1/3 cup evoo
Chicken stock (2 or 3 cups)

This is a multi-step preparation. You can do them sequentially or simulatneously. At least start with the onions. You can also finish the stew in a crockpot or a dutch oven/casserole/pot big enough to handle it (at least 5 qts).

Preheat oven to 350

In a large saute pan combine the onions, garlic and jap/serranos (if any) and evoo. Turn heat to medium and stir to coat all the ingredients and add 1 tbs of oregano. Saute until translucent (about 10 minutes or so). While you're doing that, season the pork chunks well with S&P (kosher and tellicherry). When the onions are finished transfer them to your crockpot or casserole.

In your trusty cast iron skillet, add plain veg. oil to about 1/4 inch or so and heat to medium-high. When it is blistering, add the pork and give it some nice golden brown color. Don't crowd the pan, you fucking mongoloids. Do it in batches or else it will steam instead of brown. Add the pork to the onions. When you're finished, deglaze the skillet with about a cup of chicken stock. Add to the pork and onions and keep them turning while you prepare the tomatillos and chilis.

Peel the husks off of the tomatillos, rinse, dry and coat them with evoo. I just pour a bit on a paper towel and rub them. Put them on a baking sheet and in the oven for about 25 minutes. Rinse your cilantro and lop the whole top off the bunch. Take the tomatillos out of the oven and puree them with the cilantro. Add to the pork/onions.

Place the chilis on a baking sheet and place them in the oven for about 30 minutes for the anaheims/hatchs. Place in a plastic bag and let them steam for five minutes. Remove the skins and seeds and puree them, too. Add to the stew and add chicken stock if necessary to cover the meat, the remaining herbs and spices and cook over low heat until the pork is falling apart tender.

You can go a couple ways with the potatoes. You can skillet fry them and add them at the last minute (like I did) or you can just add them to the stew after about an hour.

These are reheated leftovers but you get the drift...

Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Re: Andean Green Chili Stew

Post by Carson »

It must taste good because it looks like baby shit.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Looks and sounds great.
A lot of work though.
missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

Post by missjo »

Carson wrote:It must taste good because it looks like baby shit.
What the hell are you feeding your baby??
You just can't fix stupid...trust me I've tried
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

missjo wrote:
Carson wrote:It must taste good because it looks like baby shit.
What the hell are you feeding your baby??
It's Carson. Probably roadkill.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim