2013 Hot Stove

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Shoalzie
WingNut

Re: 2013 Hot Stove

Post by Shoalzie »

Do you really need to post the entire list when you post the link too?

Regardless...shit got real last night with the Fielder + cash for Kinsler deal. I really wondered if this could've been a match back when Fielder was being dangled and there's no secret the Rangers need to make room for Profar and they've needed a lefty power bat since Hamilton bolted. The obvious thing is the Tigers save lots of money and if this allows you to keep Scherzer, then it's a very wise move. The other part of this, what happens with Cabrera and do the Tigers play Castellanos at 3B or do they make another move to grab a corner infielder? Cabrera also needs an extension very soon...he'll obviously command top dollar. A lot of money involved but it's a classic baseball trade...helps both teams.

Next order of business: sign Joe Nathan
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I'm sure the reason there was flirtation with Choo or Ellsbury was probably for a similar reason...looking for a more traditional leadoff man. Jackson is good when he's getting the bat on the ball but his strikeout numbers rivaled Granderson so he's probably better for the bottom third of the order and that gives them speed with him and Iglesias (Avila probably sandwiched as the 8th hitter) and then you turn the lineup over with Kinsler/Hunter/Cabrera/Martinez.

Like I said, closer is probably the next order of business. I'm curious if they add another bat...what position do they play? 1B, 3B or LF? If it's a 1B, then Cabrera stays at third and you have Castellanos and Dirks platoon in left. If it's a 3B, then Cabrera move back to first and the platoon in left. If it's a LF, Castellanos goes to 3B and Cabrera to 1B. They probably do add another bat somewhere in those three positons. The rest of the lineup is set. The real question is Peralta an option to return as possibly a 3B?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Nathan is reportedly going to sign a 2-year deal with the Tigers...the ideal closer target in my view. He's nothing flashy, just steady and dependable. All you want in a closer is dependability. Wilson was too much of a risk...pitched well last year but hasn't gone back to closing. Let another team take a flier on him.

The Fister trade was another necessary evil like moving Fielder. Free up some money and opens up a rotation spot for Smyly. My guess is the rotation is set now with Scherzer, Verlander, Sanchez, Porcello and Smyly. A good get for the Nats...didn't want to see him go.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

That's a decent signing if they can keep Cano. McCann and Ellsbury aren't worth the years they got but that's how free agency works...you want probably half the years you give these guys. Any big name free agent over the age of 30...you just want them for the first half of their deal and you have to buy that second half.

The Sox were smart to not pay Ellsbury and they make a lateral move with signing Pierzynski and letting Saltalamacchia go. Victorino could go back to leading off and playing center and they got Jackie Bradley in their system. They've been willing to use their kids at key spots rather than doing "the Yankee thing" and throw money at the problem. Bogaerts looks like a nice player...I'd assume he moves over to short with Drew leaving. I assume Middlebrooks goes back to 3rd and they just need to address 1st and possibly add another outfielder.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

To the Yankees credit...they sign Ellsbury, McCann, Beltran and Kuroda for the price of Cano and Granderson. Granted, Granderson was a goner either way. They do have a huge hole at 2B and they don't have an actual replacement for Rivera picked out yet...they appear to be improved. Teixeira should be healthy, Pineda is finally coming back...Jeter is a wild card and you can't really rely on A-Rod unless he wins his appeal. The outfield is solid with Gardner-Ellsbury-Beltran. I haven't paid attention is Ichiro still under contract?

The Sox are keeping Napoli...makes sense since the 1B market is terrible. They lose Ellsbury...I like the swap of Salty for A.J. at catcher. The pitching staff staying as is keeps them the best in that division.

As for Cano...Seattle is in a tough division. The Angels won't be as bad as they were, Texas and the A's have might a few significant moves. I hope he likes finishing 4th. The Astros are trying to look less like a minor league team...they add Fowler from the Rockies...but they'll still lose 100 games.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Fuck 'em anyway...that's their issue to deal with.

Nice depth signing for the Tigers...going with Rajai Davis as a 4th OF and a potential platoon for Dirks in LF. Dirks usually sits against lefty starters and Davis hits lefties far better than against righties. Plus, he's got some decent wheels. I didn't buy the late Monday rumors of Choo...didn't make sense financially.

I also don't buy the Matt Kemp rumors involving the Tigers...that basically undoes the Fielder trade if you take on a guy with a lot of money left and he can't stay healthy. At least Prince hasn't missed a game in several years...can't question his durability. His diet is another story.

The Angels trade Trumbo and get a couple young lefties in that 3-way. Don't understand trading both he and Bourjos...leaves a hole in the outfield but they need pitching. Don't know if they planned to move Kendrick to the outfield and they also have Shuck. Trout can obviously cover up any lack of mobility Hamilton has in RF. They did get Freese in the deal for Bourjos so they've addressed their need at third.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Infante is a solid guy but they didn't have room for him after they got Kinsler. The Royals couldn't seem to figure out who they wanted at second so he'll stabilize that position. I'm very much concerned with a full year of this particular Royals team...definite wild card contenders, if not Central contenders.

Choo to Texas seems appropriate after seeing them taking on Prince's deal. He's more of a replacement for Kinsler with the bat...both hit around .270-.280, steal 20+ bases, scores around 100 runs, medium power (15-20 homers) and decent at driving in runs. Choo is better at getting on base but strikes out a lot.