Root Canal Redone

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Re: Root Canal Redone

Post by Left Seater »

No experience with root canals, but I don't have any of my wisdom teeth. I had the top ones pulled by my regular dentist and had a few issues with recovery. Had the lower two pulled by an oral surgeon and had no issues.

I suggest going with the oral surgeon just for the shorter length of time required. Plus your jaw muscles will be far less tired than having someone drill for 90 minutes.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

You might want to check your insurance coverage. The oral surgeon is likely to be covered by your medical policy, assuming you have one, but the other may not be. The cost to you may differ by a lot if you have to use dental insurance vs. medical.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

KC Scott wrote:Anyone had to have a root canal redone?
Ironic you mention it as I'm going to see an endodontist on Wednesday about re-treatment, aka having it redone. I had a root canal on a molar about 18 months ago and now I have this big bump on my gum. I wouldn't say the root canal has "failed" but there is obviously a complication.

Thankfully my dentist who did it said he'd reimburse me for the money I spent on my original root canal and would provide free work and crown if we decide to re-treat the RC.

You are right on neither being an attractive option, having a local would allow you to work that day. Having to go under would require you to take a day off. Though the last time I went under for wisdom teeth removal in 2002, I felt fine afterward.

Mikey, sounds stupid, but would I call the insurance provider about that? Thanks for the tip.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Left Seater wrote: I suggest going with the oral surgeon just for the shorter length of time required. Plus your jaw muscles will be far less tired than having someone drill for 90 minutes.
Plus if you go the dentist route, it's multiple sessions at the dentist. Oral surgery you can get it done and over with.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

KC Scott wrote:Screwy - same thing here with the gums. Call your dentist if you're waiting a while to get it rooted again and have him prescribe Clindamycin - it made the swelling go away next day
It's not painful, thanks for the suggestion. But somedays it feels larger than others.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

rub some dirt on it, pussy
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

Left Seater wrote: I suggest going with the oral surgeon just for the shorter length of time required. Plus your jaw muscles will be far less tired than having someone drill for 90 minutes.
This isn't a problem with Scott, but goes with the good anesthesia
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

My wife had the same thing. She went the oral surgeon route. She was in and out in 2 hours. The local helped her for the first 2-3 hours after, she's been doing Tylenol since. Three days later the surgeon put the crown back on.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Mikey, sounds stupid, but would I call the insurance provider about that? Thanks for the tip.
Call your dental insurance provider as well as your medical. Typically dental insurance is the sux, and only covers about $1000 worth of work at 50%. If it is "surgery", it may be covered by your medical and be subject to those co-pays and deductables.

I have to have two root canals done. Can't wait.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Killian wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:Mikey, sounds stupid, but would I call the insurance provider about that? Thanks for the tip.
Call your dental insurance provider as well as your medical. Typically dental insurance is the sux, and only covers about $1000 worth of work at 50%. If it is "surgery", it may be covered by your medical and be subject to those co-pays and deductables.

I have to have two root canals done. Can't wait.
Thanks bro. If anything, having this root canal done has made me obsessive about oral health. The hit to your wallet, the pain and the amount of time spent at the dentist will likely do the same to you. I think my root canal cost, after insurance, $1300 last year.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

47 years old. Never had a single tooth problem save for a few cavities when I was a kid. Keep dental floss at my desk because dental surgery and dental insurance fucking blows.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

BSmack wrote:47 years old. Never had a single tooth problem save for a few cavities when I was a kid. Keep dental floss at my desk because dental surgery and dental insurance fucking blows.
Yep, some of us had to learn the hard way.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Left Seater wrote: but I don't have any of my wisdom teeth. I had the top ones pulled by my regular dentist and had a few issues with recovery. Had the lower two pulled by an oral surgeon and had no issues.
I had my wisdom teeth pulled by an oral surgeon. This was over 30 years ago, and as they were walking me down the hallway, back in those days this privacy shit was unheard of, and the door was open on one of the rooms. I looked in there, and this mother fucker had some kind of a hammer in one hand and chisel in another and was wailing on this guys fucking jaw.

I knew what it was and was ready to leave. They did give some great drugs IV, I commented on the nurses fine ass, and was told I tired to pinch it.

56 years old. One cavity. No dental insurance.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
BSmack wrote:47 years old. Never had a single tooth problem save for a few cavities when I was a kid. Keep dental floss at my desk because dental surgery and dental insurance fucking blows.
Yep, some of us had to learn the hard way.
Bingo. Yeah, I think I'm looking at $800 this year and next. Yay me. That's just on the root canals.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

49 years old day after tomorrow and my teeth have emerged relatively unscathed. I only had two small cavities, both when I was in my late teens.

I did have all my wisdom teeth pulled, though. Back when I was in the Navy, I was told that my mouth was too small to support my wisdom teeth, and they would have to come out, although not necessarily right away. Since I was getting out of the Navy in four months, I decided to take the freebie option while I still had it.

You get what you pay for, I guess.

With one of the wisdom teeth, the oral surgeon who removed them also pulled out some bone. Bone doesn't grow back, of course, so I have a little bit of bone missing from my upper gum on the right side.

After the surgery, my mouth was so numb from the Novocaine that I couldn't even speak. So I went back and took a nap. I woke a few hours later, after the Novocaine had worn off, in excruciating pain.

I suppose I could've pissed and moaned about what happened, but the Navy being the Navy, the only thing I would've accomplished by doing that is ruining the guy's career. And I liked him, so I didn't want to do that.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:Back when I was in the Navy, I was told that my mouth was too small
Probably by a large black man.

Screw_Michigan wrote:I had a root canal on a molar about 18 months ago and now I have this big bump on my gum.
Does it irritate your girlfriend's testicles?

Appropriate thread for a two-fer.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

The key is going to a dentist that has 3D technology. Most dentists make a guess on what they think the issue is. But they have no idea. When you need a retreat, it is generally because they missed a canal or their is a vertical root fracture in the tooth. The thing is, that is a mistake the dentist makes and doesn't realize it because they cannot see it. Then they use a file to clean out the pulp and fracture the tooth.

End of the day, you spend $1,200 on the root canal and $800 on the crown. When it fails, you are on the hook for $3,000 for the implant, $400 for the abutment and $800 for the crown.

Make sure you ask if the Dr has access to 3D imaging.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Dd you get a nice little toy when you were done?
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Rooster
Eternal Scobode

Post by Rooster »

You might want to check your insurance coverage. The oral surgeon is likely to be covered by your medical policy, assuming you have one, but the other may not be. The cost to you may differ by a lot if you have to use dental insurance vs. medical. --Mikey

If you like your teeth, you can keep your teeth. Period.
Cock o' the walk, baby!
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

I wasn't offered the apicoectomy, so I went with retreatment, aka doing it over again. Looks like it's going to be a three appointment affair. First 90 min wasn't so bad, but the last 90 min I spent at the endodontist was pretty shitty, my tooth was so sore I couldn't eat solid food all day because of the risk of clamping down on it. After another day I was fine, but unfortunately, I have one more appt go through, damn it. I'm just glad they are apparently going to be able to save the tooth. Extraction and a bridge was scaring the shit out of me.

Killian had good advice about checking to see if you could do it through your medical insurance, but I looked and it was not an option, unfortunately. The good news is my original dentist said he'd refund me for the original root canal, which in addition to the crown, cost me $1300 last time. I don't think I'll get reimbursed for the crown as the crown did not crack during retreatment, but that's still a large portion of money I'll be refunded for.

It will end up being a wash financially.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Killian had good advice about checking to see if you could do it through your medical insurance, but I looked and it was not an option, unfortunately.
Do you qualify for Omopacare?
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Who knew Euroclone was Scott's troll?[/badenglishteefs]
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Papa Willie wrote:A few months shy of 50, and I've never had a cavity. My dad is a retired dentist, but that didn't have anything to do with it. I've teeth of STEEL!
How does a man with supposedly good genes like your dentist father end up spawning such a fat piece of shit like yourself?
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

KC Scott wrote:I'm sure that gallon a day of Hagen Das you wolf down provides a lot of calcium
It's the semen, I'm imagining.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Wait...what? :?