Tigers vs. Red Sox

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff
2023/24 3BB Champion, 2022/2023 3BB CoChampion

Re: Tigers vs. Red Sox

Post by Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff »

The fact you think the Sox are going to go out every night and rake and put up 8 runs against the best starting pitching staff in baseball shows your limited knowledge of the game and how playoff baseball tends to go.
I know baseball, and what I know is that the Red Sox have been wearing out these hacks for Detroit and getting into that shitty bullpen. I see that being the difference tonight and in Game 6. Sox wear teams out and make them pay.

You mean like how they closed out the ALCS last year while Boston was sitting in the cellar of the East? :lol:
Only because they got to play the Yankees who roll over in the postseason.

It'll be 5-1 at the end of the night, Sox cruising to another World Series. Then we'll see who is the dumbass.
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff

That fluke Sanchez guy already down 3-0. Maybe my 5-1 call was a little generous :lol:

If they can tack a few more on that would give Peavy some rest to set up the rotation for the World Series.
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff

Back to Fenway like I said, ready for Bucholz to seal the deal tomorrow. Good luck with that. Should be pretty quiet in here; in fact I don't expect there to even be a World Series thread in this forum since people just can't take it. Face it Schoalz and mgo, your team is scared and plays with feces in the britches. They are adept at strikeouts and dps with runners on, and the Sox are World Champions who clutch up.

Sox in 5 in the World Series.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Sanchez wasn't as good as he was in Game 1 but neither was Lester...a lot worse in the control department. Both offenses have come alive in the last two days. I don't fear Buchholz after the clunker he put up in Game 2 although he can't possible be as bad this time around.

As I said, even losing last night...who can't feel good about Scherzer and Verlander still in the holster with the season on the line? Crazy to think the Tigers lost both games they started but they're still in a position to win this series. Both guys have won key road games in past postseasons.

Outside of Napoli...the Sox lineup hasn't been nearly as scary as advertised. Ortiz has the one big hit. Ellsbury is starting to get on base regularly but isn't get any help from Victorino. Ross was the unsung hero...a couple hits and basically killed Avila.

From a Tiger perspective, Fielder is a blackhole in the lineup. Jackson has continued to swing the bat well in his new spot. I wonder if the next move is to get Fielder further down in the lineup...he's the next guy that looks lost and needs a shakeup. Maybe hit him be Peralta or Infante.

Sox still have a lot work ahead of them...don't start planning the parade.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

God damnit, if Sanchez doesn't throw that wild pitch which brings the runner in, it probably winds up being a 3-3 game heading to extra innings. Oh well. Things are shaping up like I predicted, which is to say Tigers in 7. Scherzer isn't going to lose two games in a row, so it's all going to come down to that final game.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Cabrera running through the stop sign was worse. The next half inning was the Napoli bomb. They've had some brutal base running gaffes.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Shoalzie wrote:Cabrera running through the stop sign was worse.
I was listening on the radio driving back from Standish so I didn't see the actual play. I just figured with his bum hip, he wasn't able to throw the brakes on so fast going full speed. Possibly coulda hurt himself even more.

I don't know that it's worse, because there's no guarantee the Tigers even score if Cabrera holds up there. Afterall, they're pretty damn good at leaving runners on base. But Sanchez? He just gifted them a crucial run.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

That was 100% on Brookens. He needs to get further down the line and read the play, and assume that Cabrera isn’t going to score. That stupid bullshit of waving him then throwing up the breaks was absurd.

Also, that ball doesn’t climb up Cabrera’s arm; they only get 2 runs that inning. Detroit has stepped on their dicks in 2 out of the 3 losses.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:Cabrera running through the stop sign was worse.
I was listening on the radio driving back from Standish so I didn't see the actual play. I just figured with his bum hip, he wasn't able to throw the brakes on so fast going full speed. Possibly coulda hurt himself even more.

I don't know that it's worse, because there's no guarantee the Tigers even score if Cabrera holds up there. Afterall, they're pretty damn good at leaving runners on base. But Sanchez? He just gifted them a crucial run.

The wild pitch run ended up being the difference but you could argue that running into an out at home which could've made the difference also. The cheap runs like wild pitches, walks with the bases loaded or botched double plays with one and runners on the corners all are killers because they can be prevented. If you're going to give up runs, make them knock the ball around the yard.

With the Cabrera thing, I thought Brookens originally sent him in all the way but what happened was Brookens started waving him as he got to third but then threw up the stop sign but Cabrera kept running. You're right...there's no guarantee he scores but he wasn't going to score on that play anyway and it ended the inning. Brookens should've tackled him as he got to third and not leave any doubt what he should've done on the play.

It would've been one thing if Brookens threw up the stop sign on a quicker guy like Iglesias or Jackson but gimpy players like Avila, Cabrera and Martinez have no reason to be taking an extra base at the risk of taking an out at home. The only thing you can hope for is a bad throw or the catcher drops the ball but that's not what you want to rest your hopes on at this stage.
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff

Let me say one thing before the series ends this evening....What I'm seeing in here is a lot of hand-wringing over one bad play and no admission that Leyland and the Tigers have been choking like no other team in LCS history besides the '04 Yanks. Ever since Papi's home run in Game 2, every leather cheerio belonging to the Tigers has tightened up. I mentioned this after that game and how they were puckering up on the plane ride, and it hasn't stopped since. :lol: People don't like to use the word choke, but it's obvious and you can see it in their eyes. Leyland tries to play it off, but he's almost as bad as Bobby Cox in postseason play with making decisions. SCherzer is a decent pitcher in the regular season but he's going to get yacked tonight. He has no clue how to get it done in the clutch nor does any player on Detroit. Sox Nation will be popping champagne after tonight's 7-2 victory. They are delivering on the promise.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The three ways to beat Scherzer/Verlander has already happened in the postseason...match the other guy and scratch out a run late against the bullpen (Game 2 vs. Oakland), wait until the starter is out of the game and rally against the bullpen (Game 2) or outlast the other guy in a pitchers' duel (Game 3). I can't say it's impossible to beat the Tigers when these guys start but it rests on either the bullpen and the bats doing their part. What hasn't happened yet is the Sox bullpen giving up the lead...can't rest your hopes on getting to Uehera.
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff

another 0-0 score late = Sox winning the pennant in dramatic fashion 1-0.

Tigers' anuses are getting tighter and tighter the longer this game goes. Look for some dumbass to make an error and then Leyland to make some idiotic decision before Ellsbury scores the winning run in the 9th.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

This shit is draining...kinda glad it's over.

Go Cards
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff

Shoalzie wrote:This shit is draining...kinda glad it's over.

Go Cards

:lol: Another postseason choke and failure for Detroit, another Boston pennant.

SAAAWWWX 2013 AL CHAMPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :grin:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Props to the Amish Beards. Those were some damn good games, but they made the plays when they needed them. Prince Fielder can chow my bag. Wish someone would pay me 20 mill to suck at my job.

Cards over Blosux in 6
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Tigers had the better starting pitching but the Sox had the superior bullpen, made timely defensive plays and most obvious of all, came up with the big hits at the right time.

You really wondered if luck was going to be on the Tigers side early on with Pedroia's homer going foul and Gomes missing a homer but a foot. The amount of opportunities for the Sox started to pile up and again, Scherzer leaves with a lead and the bullpen does everything wrong. Kills me to see the quality outings go to waste.

You obviously play the what if game with Cabrera's health but they were good enough to hang onto win the Central again and they pulled it out against Oakland. Teams know how to pitch to him so he doesn't kill them but his injury made him less effective with taking the outside pitches to right field.

They'll keep most of this group together...rumors about Scherzer's future and could he be moved heading into the final year before free agency. Peralta is probably gone...Dirks and Castellanos probably split LF duty until the kid is good enough to play every day. I don't know what to make of bullpen. Are there many closers out there? Nathan wasn't retained by Texas...maybe look at him. Rondon was a missing piece late in games.

It'll be a tougher battle in the Central with the Royals and Indians much improved but this team should still be able to get back to October. They need to learn how to beat teams not named the A's and the Yankees.
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff

Sox embarrassed Leyland so bad that he retired :lol: