362 days from now one anti competitive...

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

362 days from now one anti competitive...

Post by Left Seater »

measure will be replaced by another. In just under a year the Wright Amendment will finally die. This Amendment from 1979 limited flights out of Dallas Love Field to cities in Texas or the four states that shared a border with Texas, or to commercial flights on planes with less than 57 seats. In 1997 an Alabama Senator succeeded in adding Alabama, Kansas and Mississippi to the exempt list. Then in 2005 a Missouri Senator got Missouri on the exempt list.

The reason this Amendment was in place was to force airlines to move to the new DFW airport built between Dallas and Ft Worth. Up to that point the cities were competing against each other for airline service to their individual airports. Both cities and all the airlines serving either city at the time agreed to move to the new airport once completed. Southwest was formed after this agreement and since they didn't agree to the terms, they didn't want to move. Many court battles later against Braniff, American, Texas International and Continental, Southwest was allowed to stay at Love. Then since they couldn't beat Southwest in court the incumbent airlines went to Congress.

During this time Southwest struggled and during one point instead of lowering fares, they added the option of a 5th of your favorite drink of choice. This proved hugely popular and business travel flocked to Southwest.

Of course today Southwest is the cash king of airlines and Braniff is no more. DFW is a fortress hub for American and not in any danger of going anywhere. So to that end Southwest and many Texas residents have lobbied for the end of the Wright Amendment. Finally an agreement was reached, but the new agreement removes some anti competitive measures and brings in others.

The new agreement allows flights to anywhere, but limits the airport to only 20 gates. Currently Southwest uses 16, while both American and United use 2 each. The new agreement also states that as long as the airlines maintain the current level of service (meaning the same number of weekly departures) they will not have to give up any gates. So any other airlines are now blocked from entering the airport. What a bunch of crap.

What does all of this mean for you? Well for everyone except Sam it will help lower airfares. :grin: Southwest will now be able to connect more people thru Dallas and it will lower fares across town at DFW as those airlines will now have to compete with Southwest at Love.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Get fucked
Just do it

Re: 362 days from now one anti competitive...

Post by Get fucked »

No body gives a shit.

Get fucked
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Good talk, Russ.
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

Yep 88 he sure is a loquacious and intelligent communicator on the board, isn't he?
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

I've never been a fan of Love Field.

Sin,
JFK
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Left Seater wrote:measure will be replaced by another. In just under a year the Wright Amendment will finally die. This Amendment from 1979 limited flights out of Dallas Love Field to cities in Texas or the four states that shared a border with Texas, or to commercial flights on planes with less than 57 seats. In 1997 an Alabama Senator succeeded in adding Alabama, Kansas and Mississippi to the exempt list. Then in 2005 a Missouri Senator got Missouri on the exempt list.

The reason this Amendment was in place was to force airlines to move to the new DFW airport built between Dallas and Ft Worth. Up to that point the cities were competing against each other for airline service to their individual airports. Both cities and all the airlines serving either city at the time agreed to move to the new airport once completed. Southwest was formed after this agreement and since they didn't agree to the terms, they didn't want to move. Many court battles later against Braniff, American, Texas International and Continental, Southwest was allowed to stay at Love. Then since they couldn't beat Southwest in court the incumbent airlines went to Congress.

During this time Southwest struggled and during one point instead of lowering fares, they added the option of a 5th of your favorite drink of choice. This proved hugely popular and business travel flocked to Southwest.

Of course today Southwest is the cash king of airlines and Braniff is no more. DFW is a fortress hub for American and not in any danger of going anywhere. So to that end Southwest and many Texas residents have lobbied for the end of the Wright Amendment. Finally an agreement was reached, but the new agreement removes some anti competitive measures and brings in others.

The new agreement allows flights to anywhere, but limits the airport to only 20 gates. Currently Southwest uses 16, while both American and United use 2 each. The new agreement also states that as long as the airlines maintain the current level of service (meaning the same number of weekly departures) they will not have to give up any gates. So any other airlines are now blocked from entering the airport. What a bunch of crap.

What does all of this mean for you? Well for everyone except Sam it will help lower airfares. :grin: Southwest will now be able to connect more people thru Dallas and it will lower fares across town at DFW as those airlines will now have to compete with Southwest at Love.
See, in Denver, they just fucking tore down the perfectly good Stapleton Airport so there'd be no choice but for all the carriers & FBO's to move out to Denver International. But then we had Neil Bu$h- son of one president & brother to another president- to help the bond-daddies ram everything thru. In 79, Neil was probably still trying to bang cheerleaders. All the made guys cashed in huge.- from the cronies who bought up the farmland for peanuts where the new airport was going to be built and sold it for million$$$, to the developers who were basically given the old airport land (along with shit-loads of tax-rebates & "incentives") and re-reveloped it into a trendy housing area now known as "Gay-pleton" .
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Something being run by the feds is corrupt and inefficient?

No fukking way!

No worries though, that was an aberation. Healfcare will be different.

When it comes to airport location dumbfukkery, I still thing we New Englanders have :bode: .

The big dig was done pretty much to make Logan accessible as it is built on a sand bar north of boston harbor. Seems to me it would have made a shit ton more sense to just build a new one somewhere near foxboro.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

If you are going as far as Foxboro, just keep driving to Providence. Nice airport with good service to pretty much everywhere. If you are outside of 128 then PVD is almost always faster anyway.

Just as an FYI, all the NFL teams fly in and out of PVD and stay at the Westin there as well.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

smackaholic wrote:Something being run by the feds is corrupt and inefficient?

No fukking way!

No worries though, that was an aberation. Healfcare will be different.
Yeah, because there's no corruption in privatized healthcare.

Sin,
Richard Scrushy
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Screw flying anyway. I'll just ride my bike.

~SS
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

smackaholic wrote:When it comes to airport location dumbfukkery, I still thing we New Englanders have :bode: .
Don't know about that... As local comedian David Naster once said, "You gotta take an airplane to get to the airport in this town."
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Mikey wrote:Screw flying anyway. I'll just ride my bike.

~SS

Since Sam likes riding so much, he should do a PET for us on the Texas Summer Solstice Ride. The ride starts at dawn at the Texas Louisiana border and ends at sunset in Anthony, on the Texas New Mexico border 879 miles later. Apparently the real bad asses turn around and ride back the next day.

What say you Sam? :grin:
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Left Seater wrote:
Mikey wrote:Screw flying anyway. I'll just ride my bike.

~SS

Since Sam likes riding so much, he should do a PET for us on the Texas Summer Solstice Ride. The ride starts at dawn at the Texas Louisiana border and ends at sunset in Anthony, on the Texas New Mexico border 879 miles later. Apparently the real bad asses turn around and ride back the next day.

What say you Sam? :grin:
A real badass would do it on a bicycle.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Mikey wrote:A real badass would do it on a bicycle.
879 miles on a bicycle?

Pussies.

/s/

Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

schmick wrote:Kind of over having to go to Texas all the time to change planes, the weather in Houston is shit and I have spent way too much time sitting on a run way in the plane or having to get a hotel room so I dont sit in the terminal over night.
As if Chicago is any better, or Denver in the winter, etc, etc, etc.

Don't want to change planes in Houston? Don't fly United.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Get fucked wrote:No body gives a shit.

Get fucked
Actually, I do. I'm in Dallas at least a half-dozen times a year and I've always flown into DFW via American or USAirways from Philly. If Southwest gets me into Love Field for less, I'm all for it.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

jiminphilly wrote:

Get fucked
Actually, I do. I'm in Dallas at least a half-dozen times a year and I've always flown into DFW via American or USAirways from Philly. If Southwest gets me into Love Field for less, I'm all for it.

Here's the thing though. Even if Southwest doesn't fly the route non-stop, it will likely still lower the cost American and USAirways can charge to get you to DFW. Right now Southwest can't even sell you a ticket between PHL and DAL. When they can, it will put downward pressure on all the fares in the market.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Left Seater wrote:
jiminphilly wrote:

Get fucked

Here's the thing though. Even if Southwest doesn't fly the route non-stop, it will likely still lower the cost American and USAirways can charge to get you to DFW. Right now Southwest can't even sell you a ticket between PHL and DAL. When they can, it will put downward pressure on all the fares in the market.
True. I just hate flying AA or USAir
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

jiminphilly wrote:
True. I just hate flying AA or USAir

You are prolly doing back flips over their merger then.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

schmick wrote:I decided that I would just make the drive to LAX so I can get more direct flights and not have to worry about flying in to Texas to switch planes anymore.
Yeah..driving into LAX, through one of the best areas in LA to drive through.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Derron wrote: Yeah..driving into LAX, through one of the best areas in LA to drive through.
Yeah, I know. They should have put the airport in Beverly Hills.

Sincerely,

No one
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

schmick wrote:I decided that I would just make the drive to LAX so I can get more direct flights and not have to worry about flying in to Texas to switch planes anymore.
I am guessing you are talking about not using John Wayne anymore and LAX instead. But you are part of the reason that there is less direct flights from JW. if you are willing to drive, so are others. What then is the incentive to add direct flights from JW? Well, that and the crazy ass restrictive noise requirements that the beautiful people have put on the airport. They don't want any noise but they want direct flights to everywhere they want to travel. :meds:
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

I drive to LAX via the PCH thru Malibu, so it's actually a nice drive till the last few miles. That being said I would rather fly out of SJC when I can.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

CA is far nicer about 50 north of LA than it is south of that point.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Cuda wrote:
All the made guys cashed in huge.- from the cronies who bought up the farmland for peanuts where the new airport was going to be built and sold it for million$$$, to the developers who were basically given the old airport land (along with shit-loads of tax-rebates & "incentives") and re-reveloped it into a trendy housing area now known as "Gay-pleton" .
I had a week long continuing education class in Denver and stayed at the Courtyard Denver Stapleton and was amazed at what they'd done to that area.....when I lived in Denver before, Stapleton was the airport and it was out in the middle of no mans land.....now it's specialty commercial development with some tree hugger type restaurants.....the housing seemed to be sort of upscale.....I expected to see people walking around smoking reefer, but never did......

caught a bus to a Rockies game one evening....it was alright.....
get out, get out while there's still time