Northwestern @ tFighting Toolios

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Northwestern @ tFighting Toolios

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Kal is starting a true frosh QB. Good luck with that.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Northwestern @ tFighting Toolios

Post by Dinsdale »

Gotta be better than the crap they've been rolling out since Rodgers, right? (The worse of of which's father I know.)
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Jet lag is starting to wear on the Midwesterns.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Absolute horseshit call.

Not liking the "targeting" horseshit.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

The McCain call was a textbook call based on the video and clinics we attended this offseason. No reason to lead with the head and initiate contact above the shoulder.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Just have the QB wear flags, sixth-grade style, and be done with it then.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

So far from the targeting calls I have seen since Thursday the most borderline call was the ATM call against us.

The Indiana State, Oregon, Cal calls were all right on.

Dins, don't forget that the targeting rule isn't new. It has been in the rule book for a cycle now. The only part of it that is new this season is the automatic ejection for targeting fouls.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

He had a clean and decisive shot at the QB. Why not just go for the waist? The rule kinda sucks but that's poor judgment.

If N'western wins without Colter, that's impressive.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

N'western with 2 pick 6s. Wow.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Kal is starting a true frosh QB. Good luck with that.

Huh? Wha?
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Northwestern must not have gotten the memo. Kal is supposed to have an NCAA leading offense. If the Kal player doesn't make a clean catch the defense is supposed to let the ball hit the ground.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Thank God I just got back to the hotel and only turned on this game late in the 3rd. I don't think I could make it thru a whole game of the Northwestern sideline yelling pass every time the Kal QB drops back and then ball every time he releases the ball. I thought the NW players were some of the smarter ones?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Smarter than Rice players, but that doesn't take much.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Dinsdale wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Kal is starting a true frosh QB. Good luck with that.

Huh? Wha?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Run up the score! Don't settle for a FG.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Dinsdale wrote:Gotta be better than the crap they've been rolling out since Rodgers, right?

I'm a big enough man to admit when I'm wrong.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Smarter than Rice players, but that doesn't take much.
:meds:

D-
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Took NW in the pick em.....That should improve my score to 2.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Left Seater wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Smarter than Rice players, but that doesn't take much.
:meds:

D-
You're right, that was pretty bad. :lol:

I blame the mass quantities of beer.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Dinsdale wrote:Absolute horseshit call.

Not liking the "targeting" horseshit.

Ya think ?

Complete bullshit call. Changed the momentum of the game. Cal was absolutely dropping the hammer on Northmidwestern.

You can't hit him high. You can't hit him low. You can't reach up to try to block the pass for fear of being called for hitting him in the head. You can't bend forward at the waist for fear of being called for spearing, even though bending at the waist is how people run. You can't hit him at the knees for fear of being called for making a defenseless hit.

That was not any of the above. It was a clean hit.

It seems like all you can do is to run into him straight up with your hands held up as if in surrender. Better yet, stick your belly out and ab bump him. What? Wait. They'll find a way to penalize that too. Excessive celebration.

The flag came in late after the Northmidwestern QB spent several seconds on his hands and knees. The ref reacted to the apparent injury.

Sadly, that was pretty much a textbook tackle. McCain led with his shoulder pad to the chest of the QB. If Siemian had been still holding the ball there would have been no penalty. It wasn't even really "roughing" as McCain had left his feet before Siemian let go of the ball.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Left Seater wrote:The McCain call was a textbook call based on the video and clinics we attended this offseason. No reason to lead with the head and initiate contact above the shoulder.

Too bad... that's not what happened.

McCain hit him square in the chest with his head up.

It was not a late hit.

"Targeting" technically means targeting "above the shoulders".

Mike Pereira has some commentary on the new rule including the criteria:

- No player shall target and initiate contact vs. opponent with the crown of his helmet.

- No player shall target and initiate contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootbal ... lem-083113

The picture shows that McCain did not lead with his head nor target Siemian's...

Textbook... tackle

M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Yeah, nothing like setting an NCAA College Football record for a true freshman in his first start and passing for over 450 yards.

Scary thing for teams from here on out is... if Goff goes down... his backup is better.

Seems like Wilbon enjoyed his stay in Strawberry Canyon...

Pic of Harper going high... while Cal was rolling with their 2 straight TD in a few minutes.

Even Marshawn was getting into the fun... before the NFL season starts

M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Nice post from a Northmidwestern fan after the game...

Observations from longstanding NU fan Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Goodness, their QB was good. Mobile, big arm. The INT's that changed the game were not his fault. Unbelievable he's a true freshman.

Cal had a crapload of speed on their team. Every player looked like they ran a sub 4.4 forty. Their new head coach has created schemes that take full advantage of their speed.

There were times Goff had way too much time to throw, and we allowed their receivers to get too wide open. The true freshman CB was picked on all second half. He's going to need to get better in a hurry.

Kudos to Cal. They really stuck it to our Defense. Our D has a lot to work on, obviously. The talent is there. Ariguzo, Scott, VanHoose, Campbell. Time to raise our game a few notches.

Yes, I believe there were some fake injuries to slow down Cal. Fitz and co. can deny it, but that is what I think.

The offense played admirably, given Colter was out and Mark was playing hurt. Our offense becomes a lot more vanilla and easier to defend when these two are out. They did a great job considering the key guys that weren't playing. Siemian has a big arm. He really threw some laser beam out patterns, and showed good accuracy. He throws about 3-4 into coverage high-risk downfield passes a game, though and he needs to eliminate this tendency. Treyvonn Greene played his best game. Great to see him step up with Mark slowed by injury.

This was a tough matchup. Road game, first game of season, late at night, raucous crowd, blazing speed opponent. It certainly wasn't pretty, but I'll take the W.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Mike Wilbon is a huge tard. Fuck him.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

cal still lost at home to a lower tier B1G team.

You've perfected painting turds, foolio.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

is there a rule against flopping with fake injuries yet? NW guys went down three plays in a row at one point, Coach Carpetmuncher was livid.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

IT WAS THE REFS!! :lol:

I was wondering what angle you'd go for this time, toolio. You never fail to disappoint.

The bottom line is you lost at home by two TDs to a team without its two best offensive players for most of the game. Ouch.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Poor toolio. His description of the play, supports the DQ of the Kal player rather than point out how he thinks the official was wrong. For someone who wants to pass themselves off as one of the smartest people on this board, you would think you might read the actual rule one or seven times prior to banging around on your keyboard.

FIrst off let's review what exactly the two targeting rules say. I will use red on the parts that were added to the rule book this year.
NCAA Football 2013 and 2014 Rules and Interpretations Pages FR-86 & FR-87 wrote:
Rule 9 Section 1 Article 3

No player shall target and initiate contact against an opponent with the crown (top) of his helmet. When in question it is a foul.

Penalty -15 yards. For dead-ball fouls, 15 yards from the succeeding spot. Automatic first down for fouls by Team B if not in conflict with other rules. For fouls in the first half: Disqualification for the remainder of the game. For fouls in the second half: Disqualification for the remainder of the game and the first half of the next game. If the foul occurs in the second half of the last game of the season, players with remaining eligibility shall serve the suspension during the first game of the following season. The disqualification only is subject to review by Instant Replay. If Instant replay overturns the disqualification the foul becomes an unclassified personal foul and the yardage is still enforced.

Rule 9 Section1 Article 4

No players shall target and initiate contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. When in question it is a foul.

Penalty -15 yards. For dead-ball fouls, 15 yards from the succeeding spot. Automatic first down for fouls by Team B if not in conflict with other rules. For fouls in the first half: Disqualification for the remainder of the game. For fouls in the second half: Disqualification for the remainder of the game and the first half of the next game. If the foul occurs in the second half of the last game of the season, players with remaining eligibility shall serve the suspension during the first game of the following season. The disqualification only is subject to review by Instant Replay. If Instant replay overturns the disqualification the foul becomes an unclassified personal foul and the yardage is still enforced.
Notice the only thing in red is the part about disqualification. The rule itself isn't new.

Now let's look at the hit itself. The Kal player didn't use the crown of his helmet so 9-1-3 doesn't apply. So then we look at 9-1-4. Did the Kal player meet the requirements of this rule? Let's break it down:

First we must have three things for it to qualify under 9-1-4. 1) The player must target, 2) initiate contact in the head or neck area, and 3) the player being hit must be defenseless.

Did this meet the definition of target? Let's go back to the rule book:
NCAA Football 2013 and 2014 Rules and Interpretations Pages FR-87 & FR-88 wrote:Note 1: "Target" or "Targeting" means that a player takes aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with an apparent intent that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball. Some indicators of targeting include but are not limited to:

Launch-a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward or forward thrust of the body to make contact in the head or neck area
M2 checked this box for us:
M2 wrote:...as McCain had left his feet before Siemian let go of the ball.

So we we can check part one of the requirements for 9-1-4.

Part 2 of 9-1-4 says initial contact must be in the area of the neck or head, and with one of the listed parts of the body. The interpretations tell us that the head or neck area is anything above a horizontal line extending from the lowest point of the players collar on the front of his jersey. So if we read M2's quote on what McCain led with and look at the photo he posted:
M2 wrote:McCain led with his shoulder

So McCain led with his shoulder and the pic clearly shows his shoulder is above the bottom of the players collar. (For reference see NW player #53 in the same shot. The bottom of his collar is between the B1G and under armor logos. That is the bottom of the neck area.)

So these two items help us check the second part of 9-1-4. The final part to determine is whether the QB was defenseless or not. For this we can go to Rule 2.
NCAA Football 2013 and 2014 Rules and Interpretations Pages FR-41 wrote:Rule 2 Section 27 Article 14

A defenseless player is one who because of his physical position and focus of concentration is especially vulnerable to injury. Examples of defenseless players are:

a. A player in the act of or just after throwing a pass.

Once again M2 checks this box for us:

M2 checked this box for us:
M2 wrote:...as McCain had left his feet before Siemian let go of the ball.
So clearly the QB was in the act of throwing a pass.

By M2's words and photos all three parts of 9-1-4 were satisfied, so therefore the player disqualified himself by rule.

Then he brings in Mike Pereira as if Mike is somehow agreeing with him. Funny thing though when we click on the link to Mike's page we find out he and I were on the same page.
Left Seater wrote:Had to leave for my game early in the 3rd.

Just saw the replay on the targeting call. Questionable at best.
Mike agreed that this didn't warrant the Targeting call.

Left Seater wrote:The...Oregon...calls were all right on.
Mike said:
Mike Pereira Blog wrote:MY TAKE: This was definitely targeting.

One final thing to keep in mind. The rule says if in doubt it is a foul.

It is one thing if you don't like the rule, but don't blame the officials for that. Blame the college coaches, they write the rules.

Keep up the good work M2, you kicked your own ass and inadvertently pointed out exactly why it was a good call.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Just as another point of reference, Targeting calls are down this weekend from the average last season.

Per Rogers Redding, the guru of college rules, said to the AP that last season there was one Targeting call for every 6 games. Going into tonight's FSU Pitt game there have been 8 targeting calls in 74 FBS games.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Left Seater wrote:Just as another point of reference,

Just stop.

I'm right and you're wrong (as usual).

The PAC 12 just reversed their decision and McCain in now unsuspended for the next game.

There was NO "targeting" and he should never have ejected from the game.

Little good that does... after you lose your best defensive player and get a 15 yard penalty, when the ball should have gone back to Cal on downs.

Let me help you out here again, shall I ???

1. McCain's helmet is to the side of the QB's helmet
2. It is possible the helmets could have collided and it slipped to the side....but if that happened, you would think the collision would have knocked his head backward.
3. McCain clearly has his arms wrapped around the QB and his foot is on the ground (did not launch)

Clean hit period.

I will say this... with your keen knowledge of officiating, you'd make the perfect PAC 12 ref.
Last edited by M2 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

WolverineSteve wrote:is there a rule against flopping with fake injuries yet? NW guys went down three plays in a row at one point, Coach Carpetmuncher was livid.

Actually, they went down 9 times in two consecutive series.

Every single player came back in the next play.

As you recall... each player went down for 3 to 5 minutes each time. Nothing like having an extra 9 timeouts in the half.

Cal was pounding them so hard at the time... they really had no other recourse if they were going to stay within 3 TD's of Cal at that point.

Here's a nice little photo of the trainers laughing as they go back to the bench.

This will backfire on the scummy little slime-bag quitter (Fitz).

His players probably lost a lot of respect for him... when he told them to quit and "sit down" in the middle of the game.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

M2 wrote:Scary thing for teams from here on out is... if Goff goes down... his backup is better.
So Dykes is as stupid as Tedford? Maybe if Dykes would have played the better QB, Cal would have actually won the game instead of losing by two scores.

By the way, how'd your little running back buddy do? How could the fastest running back in the history of ever only get 60ish yards against a bunch of midwestern nerds?
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

So you claim he left his feet prior to the pass, but now he didn't leave his feet. :meds:

Yes, McCain is back for Portland State, nice SEC OCC scheduling, but that is due more to a failure of the replay equipment on site than a statement on the legality of the hit. Since the hit wasn't reviewed by the replay official on site the conf reinstated him. However, the replay official said he would have upheld the disqualification based on seeing replays later that evening. So had the equipment worked, McCain would still be out.

Bottom line is you still don't know the rules and you new coach apparently can't judge talent either.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Killian wrote:By the way, how'd your little running back buddy do? How could the fastest running back in the history of ever only get 60ish yards against a bunch of midwestern nerds?
Just give him time. He'll find some obscure stat to claim bode, like YPC on 3rd and short situations in even numbered quarters while getting his dick sucked by a ren faire wench named Frank.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Or he'll just throw up the pictures of LAST YEARS game in the Shoe about him being the fastest back, etc, etc :meds:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

So much win...

Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Holy shit, that was great.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

^^^ Fucking RACK and ARCHIVE!
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Freaking EPCOT!
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Wonder if Portland State will make such a video...