Mizzou's First Year in the SEC

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

Mace
Eternal Scobode

Re: Mizzou's First Year in the SEC

Post by Mace »

I haven't followed Mizzou this year since they no longer play Iowa State but I see that all 7 of their conference losses were on the road.....pretty typical for most conferences, and that their only loss at home during the regular season was to Louisville. No disgrace there. Mizzou will be someone to contend with in the SEC tourney, imo, and could win it. It's my understanding that they got some ineligible/injured players back for the second half of the season and are playing better ball right now.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Sudden Sam wrote:And, as Wags has pointed out, Alabama drew more fans than Missouri.
You've obviously confused me with Truman, which I'm sure is quite insulting to Tru. And that isn't even what he said.

Did you start drinking earlier than usual today or are you just trolling? Or both?

oh, and Mace?

The loss to Louisville was in a preseason tournament in the Bahamas. They were undefeated at home, the only close game being against Florida.

5 of the 7 SEC road losses were close games as well, the ones at Arkansas and Kentucky most galling as they had both well in hand. I'm still pissed about that Arkie loss, even though revenge by 30 at home was somewhat comforting. Newcomers to any league aren't going to get many calls on the road, especially in the last 2 minutes.

We'll see what happens in Nashville.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

War Wagon wrote:oh, and Mace?

The loss to Louisville was in a preseason tournament in the Bahamas. They were undefeated at home, the only close game being against Florida.
I stand corrected. The schedule I looked at didn't denote it was a tournament game. Doesn't change the premise of my post that Mizzou will be a serious contender to win the conference tournament.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Sudden Sam wrote:11-7 in such a "shitty" conference? Guess the SEC ain't so shabby after all.

And, as Wags has pointed out, Alabama drew more fans than Missouri.

I guess the "we don't care about basketball" down here shit is just that...bullshit.
not exactly the best attempted syllogism here. by "down here" you mean the entire SEC?

with all respect to MU guys here, Mizzou fans are notoriously fair-weather and this was hardly a vintage MU team, Bowers got hurt, and Haith has some issues.

Sam's better argument is that the SEC was a weak conference UF steamrolled and MU ONLY won 11 games. and anyhoo, where MU comes from 11-7 in any conference ain't that bad. i guess ATM football almost winning the SEC means the SEC has always been strong and the Big XII weak, again?

Bama is on a big time Hail Saban sports high. Bama women's bumper pool is gonna draw people.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Sudden Sam wrote:!4-4 last year in the far superior Big 12.

Lost by 15 this year at Oxford and by 31 at Florida.

Just sayin' that maybe the SEC ain't as bad as everyone wants to make it out to be.
Or maybe Mizzou just isn't as good as they were last year (and had some key guys out for half the season). Yet they still won 11 conf games. That's another way to look at it.

The SEC blows. The drop off from Florida to everyone else is substantial.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

the problem with this team is that late in games they have decent leads and then go into stall mode. They quit attacking/doing the things that got them the lead in the first place, simply trying to run the clock and then rushing up a poor shot.

That's on coaching and as much as I want to have faith in Haith, he's lost at least 7 games this year by this piss poor strategy. Games they had comfortable leads in and wound up blowing. You'd think he'd have learned by now, but no. They did the same damn thing again against Ole Miss, letting an inferior team steal a game they had a 14 point lead in. :brad:

He's got some horses on this team, they can play with damn near anybody. He needs to unleash them for the full 40 minutes and if he does, they can go deep into the tourney.
OUMO
Crimson Stooge

Post by OUMO »

I know who I am not picking and it Florida, they shoot way too many threes.
Lascivio amo a champion hodie.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Sudden Sam wrote:11-7 in such a "shitty" conference? Guess the SEC ain't so shabby after all.

I guess the "we don't care about basketball" down here shit is just that...bullshit.
No it isn’t. The SEC sucks because the SEC’s fan-base sucks. You people have absolutely no passion for the sport, much less a working understanding of what gets you invited to participate in the Tournament. Back out home games played in Lexington, Gainesville, Fayette Nam and Columbia (the good one), and the SEC could play its conference schedule in a handful of high school gyms scattered across the South. And scheduling the likes of Mississippi Valley African & Technical in the non-con ain't gonna get you much post-season consideration either.

Couple of points, and I’ll leave you to listening to Paul Finebaum break down the Dawg’s Spring three-deep(doesn't matter which one) and the attributes of Saban’s 2016 recruiting class:

Bammer outdrew Mizzou last season because Tiger fans greeted Frank Haith’s hire with an incredulous “who?” and a big fat Show Me. Turns out we were right. Sorry, but a 43-69 ACC conference record will bring that out of folks in these parts. If that attitude somehow validates King Phlegmson’s assertion that Mizzou fans are fair weather, then I would be remiss to point out that Sooner fans have appeared frightened of contracting STDs from the seats at Lloyd Noble the past few years. All I know is that Mizzou sold out every SEC home game this season, and that I coulda bought a ticket at Coleman to see Bama’s season finale against Georgia had I been so inclined. We’ll see how the attendance figures play out this year.

As for our record, Sam, Mizzou would figure out a way to finish tied for fifth in the MEAC, much less the SEC. It’s what we do. We did it in the XII, the Big 8, and probably back when we were in the Valley a hundred years ago. And we'll probably do it again next year. Regardless, this shit still matters to us.

Right now, TigerNation is in complete uproar. Frank Haith is on a very short leash next season because it’s clear he lost his team down the stretch. ONE more one-and-done and he’s gonzo. And should Mizzou miss next year’s Dance completely...

And I ain’t buyin’ the excuse that it’s the price you pay when you flesh out your club with disgruntled mercenary transfers from other schools to fill the holes in the previous coach’s recruiting. It’s worked for Fred Hoiberg, and his ‘Clones play hard. How do you NOT motivate your team to even show up for the Tournament? How does your Top 5 rebounding team in the country get buried by 22 boards? And you don’t sit your best shooting guard and defender the entire second half to “send a message.” Such discipline should’ve been instilled last fall, not in a game where you’re fighting for your tournament lives.

The first 10 minutes of Thursday night’s game looked strangely reminiscent of the “effort” given at Oxford, Gainesville and Baton Rouge earlier this season. Hell, maybe Bammer SHOULD have gone to the Tournament, after seeing play like that. At least the Tahd would’ve appreciated the opportunity... And even their fans might’ve noticed.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

I checked the box score yesterday for the 'Bama-Stanford game and saw that attendance was just over 6,100, as opposed to Iowa's NIT game on Friday with a 15,400 sellout crowd. Iowa was drawing 5,000 during the Todd Lickliter years and were starved for some good basketball. Fran McCaffery has the team improving each year and the fans are showing their appreciation for the wins and for the style of play. Between Iowa and Iowa State fans, no one talks about anything but basketball right now....aside from a little wrestling.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

KC Scott wrote:Not much to talk about there either Mace.

Penn State just won it's 3rd straight title. Hawkeyes were 3rd behind Minnesota
Penn State's got things rolling. I didn't go to Des Moines for the tournament but had a number of friends in attendance. Every session was a sellout, so you had to order tickets early.

Btw, Iowa finished 4th behind PSU, Okie St., and Minnesota. Pretty pathetic performance for the Hawkeyes.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

ah c'mon Tru, everyone knows OU has shit basketball fans mostly. especially for a team with that has had top 20-25 program status over the last 30 years or so. Sweet sixteen, 3 Elite Eights, a Final Four and the championship game. couple #1 seeds. OU is a football school. no big point calling me mucus lord over that. hey?

success of the Thunder is bad for both OU and OSU hoops-wise...at least in terms of real attendance. i like the college game, so Thunder hooray?
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Sam is thrilled about a team not winning their conference who hasn't won a conference title in two decades in other conferences either? Is this supposed to be interesting?
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.