"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Dinsdale
Lord Google

A taste of U&L PET

Post by Dinsdale »

Fuck you fucks... Mikey in particular.

That said...

In case you missed it, it started here... eat a dick Rudyard Kipling... should have been here for a spring salmon season. 15 lbs (spring fish, aka "springers") are smaller than their fall (chinook, aka "kings" to barbarians) counterparts, but much higher in fat/omega-3's, and extremely rich in flavor. That thing formerly known as "a living fish" made for a huge feast after we brought it home from the river, another small one, and a nice chunk of fillet left.

So, since by saturday (2 days), it was no longer FRESH, and considered borderline inedible at that point (despite what Mikey or Costco says), into the brine it went. About a cup of kosher salt, mabe a cup of (dried up old) brown sugar, some regular granulated sugar, a TBSP(?) of soy sauce, and a good dash of naga jolakia sauce (look it up if you're not familiar... don't take much) in about a gallon of water.

48 hours later, it was time (in my mind). Some advocate 24 hours in brine, I (we) find 48-72+ seems to help, just have to keep it cool (I didn't have room in the fridge, I used a cooler and refreshed some ice-packs about twice a day).

Looked about like this:

Due to circumstance, my ECB is not at my house. Will a lack of upright smoker deter me? Dinsdale, the slow-cook freak?

Oh, HELL NO!

Plan B -- my neighbor decided I really needed his little-used ECB grill. All the usual "fit-and-finish" we've come to expect from Brinkmann, but in charcoal grill form. Made an amazing whole chicken with it for its maiden (to me) voyage.

Kinda like this:

Since it is, like most of the Western USA, just fuckall hot here (humidity too, which is very rare here in a heat wave), I was paranoid about overdoing the fire, so I started small (too small, but close). 4 briquettes and a thumb-sized chunk of dry cherry (because I have cherry, and it works great for just about anything you care to cook with it).

Obviously, I want the fire all the way on the side opposite of the smokestack. Since the box was over 90 degrees to start with, I figured it wasn't going to take much to get it to the desired 160-170 range (much easier to control when it's not iron-ore-smelting-hot outside).

Once it got over 140, I figured WTF... game on. It's evening, and I'm starting to clip a buzz... don't want to be up all night smoking fish (actually, I'm cool with it, since it's hot, and I'll be up late, but not sure my neighbors enjoy my intoxicated outdoor cooking antics too late).

Alrighty... drunken updates to follow.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Re: A taste of U&L PET

Post by R-Jack »

Or not
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Nobody seemed too terribly interested.

Shit's the grub, yo.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote:

Alrighty... drunken updates to follow.

mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Dinsdale wrote:Nobody seemed too terribly interested.
That's because you didn't finish it. The fuck? You could have had an awesome stream to plate PET but you faded.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

mvscal wrote:You could have had an awesome stream to plate PET but you faded.

Guilty. Was about 2AM or so by the time I staggered my way out to take it off.

Got one little chunk left... I can take a pic.

Was pretty bomb.

I'll do it again, with better documentation. Ain't like that's the last fish I plan on catching.

BTW, my brine was a hair too salty for a 48 hour soak. Not bad, but a bit salty. And I was too lazy to glaze it, which is nice, but certainly not necessary.