Moderator: Mikey

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Things that God gave us...because he's cool

Post by Mikey »

1. Sex
2. Music
3. Pesto

The combination of fresh basil, garlic, pine nuts, parmesan and romano cheese and olive oil, when done right, makes be believe that this combination of flavors must have been made in heaven.

Here's the best recipe I've found. Very simple but also very classic. As always, the amounts can vary depending on your individual taste but this is the basic. Tonight I made a slight variation that resulted in the best pesto EVER. I had more than 2 cups of basil so I multiplied everything by 1.5. Also, I roasted the pine nuts for a few minutes until they were slightly brown. Most importantly, I used fresh garlic, which isn't as strong as dried garlic. It looks like green onions but with a head of garlic at the end. I chopped up two full heads, along with stems (called "scapes") and threw the whole thing in the food processor. Like I said...best pesto ever.
"From the Julia Child of Italian Cooking, this is Marcella Hazan's recipe for pesto. Its the first I've ever tasted and the only one I'll ever use. I've tried other recipes and nothing surpasses this, especially not any you'll get from a restaurant. Quality ingredients are important in simple recipes like this. The aromas in pesto's ingredients are subtle and its flavor varies depending on the brand and quality of the ingredients you choose. Make sure to find the best olive oil, the freshest basil (if it doesn't smell right or fragrant, don't bother using it, it will be a waste of expensive ingredients.) The cheeses mentioned should be sought and used. Use a high quality butter if possible."

It's really FUCKING EASY, if your have a food processor. So try it!!
Not quite as easy if you have to use a mortar and pestle.
Put it on pasta, fish, bread, what the fucking ever. Drink red wine when you eat it, for sure. This is the fucking bomb.

Ingredients
2 cups fresh basil leaves, tightly packed
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons pine nuts
2 garlic cloves, chopped fine before putting in the processor
salt
1/3 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated ( parrmigiano-reggiano)
2 tablespoons pecorino romano cheese, freshly grated ( or pecorino fiore sardo)
3 tablespoons butter, softened to room temperature

Directions
Briefly soak and wash the basil in cold water, and gently pat it thoroughly DRY with paper towels.
Put the basil, olive oil, pine nuts, chopped garlic, and an ample pinch of salt in the processor bowl, and process to a uniform, creamy consistency.
Transfer to a bowl, and mix in the two grated cheeses by hand. It is worth the slight effort to do it by hand to obtain the notably superior texture it produces.
When the cheese has been evenly amalgamated with the other ingredients, mix in the softened butter, distributing it uniformly into the sauce.
When spooning the pesto over pasta, dilute it slightly with a tablespoon or two of the hot water in which the pasta was cooked.
Freezing pesto: Make the sauce through to the end of Step 2, cover with a layer of olive oil and freeze it without cheese and butter in it. Add the cheese and butter when it is thawed, just before serving.
mvscal
Blank

Re: Things that God gave us...because he's cool

Post by mvscal »

Drink red wine when you eat it, for sure.
...or don't. I definitely wouldn't. When possible, I try to pair the dish with wine from the same region. In this case, a Ligurian white like a vermentino or cinque terre would be first choice. Sauvignon Blanc or a dry Riesling would be a good substitute.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

mvscal wrote:
...or don't. I definitely wouldn't. When possible, I try to pair the dish with wine from the same region. In this case, a Ligurian white like a vermentino or cinque terre would be first choice. Sauvignon Blanc or a dry Riesling would be a good substitute.
Are you saying that they don't make any reds in Liguria?

I would think the choice of white vs. red would depend on what else you're serving it with.
In my case, since I was serving it as a side with grilled lamb chops, a white wouldn't be all that appropriate.
Not really that much of a white wine drinker anyway.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Mikey wrote:
mvscal wrote:
I would think the choice of white vs. red would depend on what else you're serving it with.
That's not what the original quote said. I have "quoted the original quote" for your ease of reference. The entire original post mentioned pesto with pasta and fish and then went on to say, "Drink red wine when you eat it, for sure." See what I did right there? I quoted it again.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Wow. That's cool.

I just tried quoting your quote of my quote of your quote.
I couldn't do it.
Toddowen
it puts the lotion on its skin....

Post by Toddowen »

I'm almost tempted to start drinking wine just to expose the fraud that is Mvscal. My guess is that this could be accomplished before the first glass has even been fully consumed.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Toddowen wrote:I'm tempted to expose Mvscal.
I'm not your mother, Tardd.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Mikey wrote:1. Sex
2. Music
3. Pesto

The combination of fresh basil, garlic, pine nuts, parmesan and romano cheese and olive oil, when done right, makes be believe that this combination of flavors must have been made in heaven.
I tried to find a flaw with your take somewhere, Mikey, but I can't. So I guess I'll just go ahead and rack it.

Bad enough reading about fresh garlic in another thread, now I see you happily whirring basil into what truly is God's manna. *Sigh. I write this as I stare longingly at my barren herb bed anticipating the return of the sun and temperate weather. Year-round growing season > Continental extremes

A trip to the City Market tomorrow to buy plants is definitely the ticket tomorrow, but it'll be mid-June before I'm able to make a fresh batch of pesto. :( BTW, pine nuts are a bit pricey in these parts and I prefer investing my hard-earned in good parmesan. Pistachios, I've found, actually make a pretty deece substitute, fwiw. Happy eating, Mikey!
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

:lol: :lol:

Costco has a 24 oz bag of pine nuts for around $18.00. That's enough for about 150 batches of pesto, I think.
Admittedly they're imported from China and might be made from melamine, but if you toast them for a few minutes they're not bad.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Mikey wrote:I just tried quoting your quote of my quote of your quote.
I couldn't do it.
I didn't think you could. I gave you the benefit of the doubt that it wasn't your actual opinion in the original quote. Yes, of course, what you serve it with matters in the selection of wine and, if you serve it with pasta or fish (as indicated in the "original quote"), you will want to serve that with the above mentioned whites.

There aren't many whites that can hold up to lamb but lamb was not mentioned in the "original quote."

Alles klar?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Jawohl, alles klar.

I didn't actually notice the second paragraph when I posted it but, sure, white wine if with fish, or even if just using it on some pasta by itself.

Personally I don't normally put it on the fish though I think I may have before with "fresh" salmon. More likely on pasta as a side with fish, or a red meat. It might be too overpowering on a more delicate fish like halibut.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Mikey wrote:I think I may have before with "fresh" salmon.
I see what you did there.

Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

mvscal wrote:
Toddowen wrote:I'm tempted to expose Mvscal.
I'm not your mother, Tardd.

rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.