(!) Sign at the local car wash (!)

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Re: Sign at the local car wash

Post by Left Seater »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Having a garage at home is nice, but very few work-goers have access to covered parking and that's unlikely to change anytime soon.
Again this is prolly a regional thing. Lots of employers here have a garage or at least covered parking. The wife has never worked anywhere that didn't have covered parking.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

I spoke with more folks about this over the course of the day, and I have yet to find anyone that has ever seen one of these signs.
Most were of the opinion to ignore it.
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

Sudden Sam wrote:Exactly my thoughts. Shit, Mgo, MOVE!
We are supposed to buy into the M2 theory, You might have to suck cock but hey... it's heaven in his neighborhood.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Left Seater wrote:Again this is prolly a regional thing. Lots of employers here have a garage or at least covered parking. The wife has never worked anywhere that didn't have covered parking.
What a wise investment. Texas with its diverse weather and all.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

Post by missjo »

I just drop my car off at the little Asian fullservice place every couple of months, for $35 your car is fully washed, vacuumed, polished/Armouralled inside & out, & tyres blacked all while I do my shopping, it would cost me more in products per year than paying for them to do it.
You just can't fix stupid...trust me I've tried
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

88 wrote:
missjo wrote:Asian fullservice
:bode:
:bode: x infinity

Fukkin Asian fullservice goes for way more than that in these parts.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Having a garage saves you from scraping snow/ice off the windshield twice a day if you park outside at work. My wife and I have never had indoor parking at our places of employment and there will never be parking ramps constructed there, just open parking lots and the street. A garage will protect your vehicles from high winds but there's nothing going to save them if you get hit by a tornado.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Left Seater wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Having a garage at home is nice, but very few work-goers have access to covered parking and that's unlikely to change anytime soon.
Again this is prolly a regional thing. Lots of employers here have a garage or at least covered parking. The wife has never worked anywhere that didn't have covered parking.
Good for her. I too once worked in a large office building with a parking garage. But those people comprise a small % of employees in America.
atomicdad
Eternal Scobode

Post by atomicdad »

Mace wrote:Having a garage saves you from scraping snow/ice off the windshield twice a day if you park outside at work.
So does not living in a freezer.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Left Seater wrote:
Good for her. I too once worked in a large office building with a parking garage. But those people comprise a small % of employees in America.
It may not even be that big a place. I was in teeehas once and got to experience climbing into a car that was baking in the sun in , I think it was early june. Pretty sure an asphalt parking lot in texas in the middle of the day is hotter than the surface of the sun. It would make sense for employers to install carport type thingies in their parking lots. It would be even neater if they was PV like mikey's, but, fukk, I don't think I can afford to pay for any more.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

atomicdad wrote:
Mace wrote:Having a garage saves you from scraping snow/ice off the windshield twice a day if you park outside at work.
Cold is merely a nuisance, nothing more. I'd rather deal with a windshield scraper than deal with hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, tornados, etc. Not that we don't get the occasional tornado up here, but nothing like what peeps in the south and central lowlands have to deal with.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

l to r: smackaholic getting his handlebar polished
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

atomicdad wrote:
Adapting to a few months of snow/ice/cold isn't a big deal......especially when you grow up with it. And it makes you appreciate the nice spring weather we're having right now and the summer and fall months.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

atomicdad wrote:
Cold is merely a nuisance, nothing more. I'd rather deal with a windshield scraper than deal with hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, tornados, etc. Not that we don't get the occasional tornado up here, but nothing like what peeps in the south and central lowlands have to deal with.
If that is the case why are we hearing so much about snow in Denver and the upper Midwest today.

Also, I don't think flooding is a regional thing. Fargo seems to deal with that on an annual basis.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

atomicdad wrote:
No freezes, blizzards, hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, mudslides, brush fires, tornados, plagues of locust or any other natural disaster threats here. This is a weird place.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Van wrote:No freezes, blizzards, hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, mudslides, brush fires, tornados, plagues of locust or any other natural disaster threats here.
No, but Mexicans. Lots of Mexicans.
atomicdad
Eternal Scobode

Post by atomicdad »

Van wrote:No freezes, blizzards, hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, mudslides, brush fires, tornados, plagues of locust or any other natural disaster threats here.
You make that sound like a bad thing. Who else are you going to get to mow your lawn, clean your house and spawn ringers for your kids youth soccer futbol team?
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Left Seater wrote:[\If that is the case why are we hearing so much about snow in Denver and the upper Midwest today.

Also, I don't think flooding is a regional thing. Fargo seems to deal with that on an annual basis.
It shouldn't be too much of a surprise that it snows in the mountains in April. No snow in Iowa but, if it does, it will be the first one I've seen with 76 degree temps. We'll get their snow in the form of much needed rain tomorrow. Forty years ago today we had a 12" snow with high winds and 10' drifts, but that was before global warming. :)
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Re: (!) Sign at the local car wash (!)

No snow here. 50 degrees and t-storms, but I love a good thunderstorm so I'm not complaining.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

One will find a few garages in downtown Seattle, but hardly any in the outlying areas. Garages are for weather pussies.
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

So does a couple of pieces of newspaper... but apparently, that's a U&L secret or something, since a 40+ year Boston resident I fuck know was pretty pissed to have first learned that after moving to a place where it snows about once every 3 years (which is down the road from the snowiest place on earth).
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Dinsdale wrote:

So does a couple of pieces of newspaper... but apparently, that's a U&L secret or something, since a 40+ year Boston resident I fuck know was pretty pissed to have first learned that after moving to a place where it snows about once every 3 years (which is down the road from the snowiest place on earth).
Cardboard works too.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Mace wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:
So does a couple of pieces of newspaper
Cardboard works too.
Who does this? This is the second time I've read that on here. Here's an idea, cover your walk in newspaper. You won't have to shovel it.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

In SoCal and all throughout the Central Valley, definitely. Up here in Gold Country? Not really.

Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Dr_Phibes wrote:Here's an idea, cover your walk in newspaper. You won't have to shovel it.
Marvelous idea, Phibes.

I'm guessing you all have heavier newsprint than we do... :meds:
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

You're the other one that does it, I'm baffled. Why would you bond a newspaper on your windsheild under a 1/4" of ice? It would take half an hour to get the frozen pulp off. And how do keep it from blowing off before it freezes? Duct tape or spikes?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Yeah, tarping your ride with yesterday's news certainly seems more laborious than starting your car 5 minutes early and waiting for the ice to melt. Plus, it's nice and toasty by the time you get in.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Truman, looking at that photo, if that's where you live then you really need to move. What sort of grand penance are you serving that compels you to stay in such a barren wasteland?

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Van wrote:Truman, looking at that photo, if that's where you live then you really need to move. What sort of grand penance are you serving that compels you to stay in such a barren wasteland?
I've always figured that those who think that's living well deserve to live that way.

I've never shoveled rain. And we get less annual precip than the shithole pictured.

I'll take this:

and

You go ahead and take:

Pretty close comparison.

But all the more elbow room for me.
atomicdad
Eternal Scobode

Post by atomicdad »

Dinsdale wrote:
Dins,

Last summer for family vacation we drove the Oregon coast from Cape Disapointment WA to Arcada Ca after spending the 4th in Bend and looping around Mt Hood,

where is this pic from?
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

A Stephen King novel?

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Willamette Falls in Oregon City, south end of the Portland area.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I don't need to go out to Oregon to be on the water under a depressing sky surrounded by dilapidated industry. Detroit's not that far. Hell, the "barren wasteland" pic has more sunshine. :lol:
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Showoff.

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Van wrote:Showoff.
:lol:

No raging rivers around here (besides occasionally the Santa Margarita after a winter storm) but we got other stuff.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Well, at least you get brushfires and the occasional mudslide.

atomicdad
Eternal Scobode

Post by atomicdad »

and don't forget at the north end of the county we have our defunct nuclear power plant...

Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Okay? You're suggesting every business owner build garages/carports/parking structures for all their employees? That's a fairytale world I'd like to live in.
If you worked at Nike World Headquarters in Beaverton, OR that would be pretty much the norm. About 70% of the parking is covered, with covered walkways to the buildings. Of course since the majority of the people working there are transplant weather pussies from dry climates, they might melt in the rain or have a problem wearing a rain coat or carrying an umbrella.

Since damn near everyone that works there makes more than 100K a year, they feel a bit entitled. Spaces are assigned by closest to the building, type of structure needed and model of ride.

Now since Intel just has fabs here, there are no covered parking at all.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

atomicdad wrote:and don't forget at the north end of the county we have our defunct nuclear power plant...
Thanks for reminding me.

sin,
19 miles downwind from San Onofre