Corned Beef

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

mvscal
Blank

Corned Beef

Post by mvscal »

I guess it's a little late but my favorite thing about Paddy's Day is not shitty beer dyed green but piles of dirt cheap corned beef. There are many different methods of preparation and I usually stock a few extra in the freezer. What are your "go to" methods of corned beef prep?

For the basic "berled dinnah," I braise the CB (flat cut always) with beer/water halfway up the brisket at 225 for 3 hours (flipping halfway through), reserve the braising liquid for the cabbage, potatoes and carrots and then brush it with a honey mustard glaze and slow roast for another 3 hours at 250.

I've got another flat cut that I am going to use to make a faux pastrami. Soak it to leech out some of the salt, use a ground pepper/coriander/garlic/paprika dry rub and then smoke it with pecan for about six hours, rest for two and steam to reheat. Have any of you done anything like this? I'm guessing the worst case scenario is that it won't suck.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: Corned Beef

Post by Mikey »

For the "berled dinnah" I usually just berl it, adding the veggies during the last 30 minutes. In fact, that's the only way I've evah done it. Slop some hot mustard and horseradish on the side and I'm in corned beef heaven.

Not fancy but it's not a fancy meal, either.

Your way sounds good but, WTF, it's corned beef.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Mikey wrote:Your way sounds good but, WTF, it's corned beef.
Maybe if you would treat it with a little more respect you wouldn't have this "WTF it's just corned beef" attitude." It's not like my method is complicated or anything. You could even braise it in a crock pot and finish it in the oven with the honey mustard glaze. I use Beaver brand deli mustard for the honey mustard glaze. It's got the whole mustard seeds and grated horseradish for a nice kick.

So you haven't smoked a corned beef? I'll update later tomorrow if it turns out to be worth a fuck.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

mvscal wrote:I use Beaver brand deli mustard for the honey mustard glaze. It's got the whole mustard seeds and grated horseradish for a nice kick.

My Homies. Actually, the story of Rose Biggi is pretty freaking inspirational... if you're bored. Even though Beaverton Foods isn;\'t actually in Beaverton anymore... for many years, I used to work all-but next door.

My English mother used to soak the corned beef for a while to desalt it a bit, then cut it in chunks, quarter a cabbage or two, toss in some onions and carroits, and blast it in a pressure cooker at 350, or some shit. Was always pretty deece, and quite frequent... I've eaten more corned beef and cabbage (OUR dish, not those dirty Micks who try to claim it) than you can shake a stick at.

Never smoked one, but have considered it about a buhzillionb times, never puylled the trigger... and the ECB is currently occupied by a chunk of rubbed round, so tonight's not the night.

Mehtinks I might have to fire off the ECB on the beach here soon... maybe a corned beef brisket (and a whole chicken... mmmmmmm).
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Wasn't in the mood for the "traditional" boiled dinner one warm, sunny St. Patrick's Day a couple years back, so I went with a St Pat's-KC theme and smoked a corned beef over hickory. Served it with grilled Brussel's sprouts and new potatos, and of course, copious amounts of Guinness stout. It didn't suck. You'll like the results, mvscal.

Laid in an extra beef this year to try the pastrami thing, too. I'll post a PET if you don't get around to it...
missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

Post by missjo »

2.4 kg piece of Corned beef
1 onion
1 stalk celery
1tblspn brown sugar
1 tblspn salt
1tblspn whole black peppercorns
1 whole nutmeg cut in half
8 whole bay leaves
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon of cloves

add all ingredients to beef in a large stockpot cover with cold water place a lid on bring to boil
turn heat right down then simmer for aprox 2 1/2 hours
rule of thumb is to simmer for 60min for every kg of beef

serve with mashed potatoes, mustard sauce & cabbage sauteed in butter with bacon, Garlic, onion, a little of the corn beef stock & lots of freshly cracked black pepper
You just can't fix stupid...trust me I've tried
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

missjo wrote:cabbage sauteed in butter with bacon, Garlic, onion, a little of the corn beef stock & lots of freshly cracked black pepper
Sounds good, but why not just saute the cabbage in the bacon fat? I saute green beans and onions in bacon fat with diced bacon and dash of red wine vinegar with S&P. It's a Pennsylvania-Dutch classic.