Indiana-MSU

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Re: Indiana-MSU

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Props to IU. I felt MSU played pretty awful most of the game, especially in the first half. Couldn't hit open jumpers, couldn't rebound, couldn't defend the perimeter, kept turning it over. It felt like they blew their wad against Michigan and couldn't match that intensity. Still battled back to grab a lead late in the game but IU kept responding with huge shots. At times it seemed like they couldn't miss. Was definitely surprised to see both Appling and Harris melt at the end and miss those free throws. Oladipo is just ridiculous. I wish Brandon Dawson had his motor.

I wanted to see MSU go 3-1 in that four game stretch, so there's still a chance of that, but 2-2 is more likely at this point.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

I don't get to watch much basketball but the figured from the little I saw of Payne and Nix last year that both were joke shows. Still think that about Nix (though not his mouth) but dayum, Gina, where the fffffff did this year's version of Payne come from?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

That was probably the most impressive road win of the year by any team considering how hard it is to win on the road in conference. State looked shaky most of the night but yet they took the Hoosiers down to the wire. I've probably not watched enough of Miami or Florida but to me, the national champ is coming out of this conference. Indiana is the favorite and last night solidified that by them going winning in Breslin and sweeping Sparty.

Seeing State improve as the year has gone on just adds another layer of awesome on Izzo. I didn't think that team would compete for a B1G title after losing a guy like Green and having so much youth. I thought Green made last year's team but Izzo turned Green into the leader and star he was last year. Nix is still an oafish big man but has moments brilliance. He was unstoppable against Michigan but he pretty much outweighed any of Michigan's "bigs" by 50+ pounds and Michigan just doesn't have the front court to comepte with State or IU. Nix is Draymond Green-light (but not in size).

Their best pure talent are the youngsters on that team...Harris is a shooting ace, Dawson has star potential if he stays healthy (reminds of Jason Richardson) and Valentine can be a matchup nightmare as he matures. Matt Costello looks like some tall drunk frat boy they pulled out of the Izzone and slapped a uniform on but I'm sure by the time he's a senior, he'll be all-B1G because that's what Izzo does. I've never been an Appling fan...still think he's overrated...but he does some of the little things right and he's a solid defender.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

M Club wrote:I don't get to watch much basketball but the figured from the little I saw of Payne and Nix last year that both were joke shows. Still think that about Nix (though not his mouth) but dayum, Gina, where the fffffff did this year's version of Payne come from?
Nix is critical to MSU's offensive success in the half court. He's what makes their high/low game so good. He's a very good back to the basket scorer (a dying breed) but also a good passer and can find the open man on the kick out. Payne is more versatile and can stretch the floor. The only thing he's doing this year that he didn't do last year is knock down 3s. Hell, right now he's probably the second best shooter behind Harris.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Shoalzie wrote:I've never been an Appling fan...still think he's overrated...but he does some of the little things right and he's a solid defender.
I don't know where this team would be without Appling. He has been their closer all year long in tight games...except for last night. I just wish he could become a more consistent 3 point shooter. Or just stop taking 3s and drive to the rim, which is what he's so good at:

If anyone's overrated it's Dawson. Love what he does on defense and on the glass, but he has no jump shot whatsoever, and he disappaears for long stretches.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Maybe he's just not flashy considering I watch Trey Burke all the time. Appling comes off like a Aaron Craft-like PG than a Trey Burke. Appling fits an Izzo team...nothing spectacular but he's solid. Maybe I had higher expectations for him considering what guys like Kalin Lucas and Drew Neitzel had more flash to their game.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I guess we have two very different ideas of what constitutes "flash" then. Appling can slice and dice his way to the rim as well as anyone (see above). All Neitzel ever did was hang around the top of the key and bomb 3s, like he was wearing a Badger uniform.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

Admitting that I'm 487 steps beyond biased...

IU is the best team in the nation and if they play their A game they'll cut down the nets. But in a one and done tournament the best team doesn't always win, and you won't get 6 straight "A" games more than likely. I still think IU on their B game beats almost everyone. There's only one team out there that I still think could beat IU on their A game. Michigan State. I really hope we don't have to see Sparty again the rest of the year. Both the BTT and the NCAA.

Again the tournament is a fickle beast but I really expect to see both IU and MSU making a trip to the ATL in early April.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Shine wrote:Admitting that I'm 487 steps beyond biased...

IU is the best team in the nation and if they play their A game they'll cut down the nets. But in a one and done tournament the best team doesn't always win, and you won't get 6 straight "A" games more than likely. I still think IU on their B game beats almost everyone.
Tough to deny that IU is the best team at this point, nobody is playing better than them. The tournament is another animal though, it's all about match ups and who gets hot at the right time. IU is one of those teams though that can match up with anyone. They can run, they can shoot 3s, they can go half court and pound it in the paint, and their defense is solid (and quite underrated). Also the core of their team is pretty experienced. To me the x-factor for IU is Watford. When that guy is on, they are pretty much unbeatable. Yeah, yeah, Van, I know. UCLA would run circles around them in the second round if it comes to be. :lol:

IU, Syracuse, Louisville, Florida and Butler are teams I wouldn't want to face in the tournament.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Other than a bad inbounds play, IU has dominated this conference. Everyone is playing for 2nd place after State dropped one yesterday. That was a nice win for Ohio State after they got trounced by Wisconsin the week before. Craft badly outplayed Appling...that had to be his best game of the year.

From a Michigan standpoint, nice to see Morgan playing more minutes. They've missed him inside...the return match with Sparty is on Sunday and Payne had a big game against Ohio State. They have to keep an eye on Harris on the perimeter and not get dominated on the glass. Simple formula to beat Michigan...contest their shots and beat them up on the boards. They're right around 50% shooting as a team but they're middle of the pack on the glass. All 4 losses, they've shot under 40% in 3 out of those 4.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

If there was any doubt about Minnesota prior to last night...there's a signature win to get them in. I think the B1G is a firm 7 now. The Gophers are now in a position to finish over .500 in conference if they win out.

Whomever is the one in first place after the music stops...a #1 has to go to the conference regular season champ regardless of the random wackiness like last night. IU losing just makes this last two weeks more interesting. Michigan-MSU is an elimination game on Sunday and maybe just maybe the finale in Ann Arbor next Sunday could be for the conference title (or at least a share of). If Michigan can win out and avenge the losses to the Spartans and Hoosiers and have shot at winning the conference...I think they deserve a look at a #1 seed.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:UCLA would run circles around them in the second third round if it comes to be.
/s/
CBS Sports
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield