Re: national signing day

Post by Carson »

Texas ranked lower than Vanderbilt. :lol:
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Carson wrote:Texas ranked lower than Vanderbilt. :lol:
That happens when you sign 15 kids. Vandy signed 27. RIvals and Scout has Vandy rated higher while ESPN rates Texas 15 and Vandy 22 . Texas signed the 2nd fewest player in the top 25.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Craziest stat I heard yesterday: the Big XII signed ZERO five stars. None. How the hell is that even possible?
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Jsc810 wrote:6 out of the top 10
10 out of the top 20

Not a bad day for the SEC
Big Ten signed 5 of the top 15 qb's.

Sin,
B1GBSH
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Why do you care how well the SEC did overall? Shouldn't you just care how LSU fared, considering that these recruits were in 7th grade the last time LSU won a NC?
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Jsc810 wrote:I suspect that we'll see the second place SEC team in the playoffs before we'll see the Big East champion, for example.

How'd that SEC #2 / Big East champ matchup work out this year?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

You're hardly going out on a limb there, Jsc. And for the love of all that is good and right please remove that gawdawfully nauseous avatar.

Dude, seriously, what is it going to take to get you to go with some cool/sexy LSU slut as your avatar, and leave it there? Why do you keep ditching those things in favor of steaming piles of moose vomit?
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Jsc810 wrote:And by the way again, the last time ND won a national championship, none of these recruits were even born.
I'm quite aware of that, Jsec. I also wasn't in this thread touting ND's opponents and taking some sort of pride in how well they did yesterday.

I’m trying to understand on a day that is all about the individual needs of your specific team and how they were addressed, how you still find a way to break out the pom-poms on behalf of the SEC. I can kind of see the conference cheerleading during and after a season because it makes your teams losses look better. But in recruiting? Why would you want your opponents to get stronger? Playoff or not, It’s going to be unlikely that we will see another 2 loss team play for the NC, especially if they don’t play for their conference championship. So you’re puffing your chest out because it is now going to be harder for LSU to win a championship.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

Carson wrote:Texas ranked lower than Vanderbilt. :lol:
Doesn't really matter. It's not like the past few top 10 classes have equaled jack shit on the field lately.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Recruiting rankings mean less than a preseason poll.

The rankings of these signings won't be valid for another five years.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Iowa signed 21 recruits, none of them ranked higher than 3 stars, and took on about a dozen walk-ons......and I'm sure that every one of them will be first round picks as the Hawkeyes reduce the number of plays they are removed from the national championship.

They did address most of their obvious needs by signing 5 WRs and some pretty decent LBs and DBs. Time will tell, which is why I don't get overly excited about LOI day. There won't be a lot of immediate help in this class, with the exception of the lone Juco WR who will move into the starting lineup if he can catch even half of the balls thrown in his direction. ...assuming they have a QB that can find him. Hopefully the new QB and WRs can figure out Greg Davis' offense, which is something that didn't happen this past season. But, seriously, how difficult can it be if Vince Young figured it out?
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

I don't think it was so much Young as it was the other 6 guys or so that went on to play in the NFL on that offense. Pretty sure damn near all of that OL played in the NFL.

The thing with Davis is I don't think he has an offense that is truly his. Just go back and look at his time at Texas. Started with Ricky Williams and an I formation offense. Then it was Applewhite and a two back spread. Then Sims and a Pro Style offense. Followed by Young and the zone read offense. Then McCoy and back to more of the spread. Beofre finally getting fired while trying to run a pro style offense with the SMU QB, Gilbert.

I would argue that he has no offense and jumps around based on what he thinks will work today with the players he has.

But hey, he beat Nebraska damn near every time he faced them, so you have that going for you.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

I hear ya, LS, but he came to Iowa and tried to turn a 5-7 drop QB who had thrown for 25 TDs and over 3,000 yards the previous year into a 3 step, quick read QB, and neither he or the receivers made that adjustment. They still ran a pro style offense but you could see the receivers were rarely making the same reads as the QB in their pass routes which resulted in a lot of back shoulder passes hitting the turf 5 yards behind the receiver who was running a deeper route.

Davis may have misread the talent level he had last year and, quite clearly, had them trying to execute things they were uncomfortable with, and never adjusted to it. It's my hope that the two redshirt QBs on the roster had the benefit of a full year of practice running the offense and that that will translate into a more proficient offense next season. That and the addition of some better receivers.

The offensive line is pretty much returning intact and they have a couple of quality tight ends who Davis didn't involve in the offense until late in the season but were productive when he did. They should be deep at RB next season, which will be unusual with all of the injuries and transfers at that position the past few years, and Mark Weisman emerged last season with a number of big rushing games after being converted from the 2nd team FB.

I'm anxious for the season to begin and put the 2012 season behind us.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Killian wrote:Why do you care how well the SEC did overall?
that's how i feel. foolish, really. ESPN teaches them to think like this. hooray for the successes, but being a group-think is sad a bit. numbers or not, i LIKE to see UT at 27 or whatever...let the spiral continue. OU ain't be anything too special next year...let UT spiral imo. hire some more "young gun" coordinators to prop up Mack's aging corpse. i love those guys. give up 50+ to OU last two years. OK State, fuck the pokes***.

still, everyone has got to rip Vandy. SEC fan gets to rip Vandy...non-SEC fan gets to rip Vandy. meanwhile, Vanderbilly has put together on the quiet some decent football, solid hoops (NCAA team half the time under Stallings, sweet 16 few years back, good baseball (#1 seed not so long ago)....pretty reasonable AD for a school that does not have an AD. when i was there VU was awful in everything except women's hoops.

***though i do secretly love Mike Gundy's offense. :bode:
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"