FSU lived up to their billing.

BTW, all that picked NIU..........

sheesh
What were we just talking about?
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Re: How did that taste NIU?

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Congrats on beating a team that went down to the wire against vaunted 4-8 Iowa in their own back yard. Y'all should feel special. :popcorn:
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

FSU didn't choose their opponent, voters did. FSU just beat the team that had everything to play for while they had very little. Herbie was right they didn't belong. But your points about hanging on to beat Iowa need to be directed at the voters, not FSU or their fans.

On another note that was a horribly officiated game. The 4th quarter was the worst. The unsportsmanlike call after the tackle by FSU when the player hit his chest four times was crap. If that was unsportsmanlike, there were 30 other similar calls that guy missed in the course of the game. Then the same Back Judge called a late hit out of bounds against FSU right after a very borderline roughing the passer. I can let the roughing slide, but again if that was a late hit, dude missed another 10 during the game. The worst part about that call though was both the covering officials didn't call it and dude 30 yards away decided he should.

So to top it off Jimbo rightfully gives the officials a few of his thoughts and they then pop him for another unsportsmanlike. A coach has a right to be pissed off after 30 yards of penalties on mediocre calls. The final unsportsmanlike call just goes to show that BJ had no spine and I bet he finds his way back to the MAC very soon. Officials who flag Head coaches after a call goes against them usually don't last long.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Lived up to their billing? Yep, you know you're Florida St Fan when you thump your chest following a win against a meh MAC team in a half-empty stadium, and that's the first quasi-BCS-level bowl-game victory you've garnered in well over a decade.

Hell, considering FSU's pathetic schedule in 2012, perhaps only my dogshit USC team did a poorer job than the 'Noles of living up to the hype this season.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Left Seater wrote:Herbie was right they didn't belong.
NIU was only down by seven going into the fourth quarter. Try again, idiot.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Belong and uncompetitive are not the same thing.

Try again.

An uninspired FSU won by 21 in front of no one. Yet another reason NIU didn't belong. Fake kicks and on sides kickoffs and NIU still only managed 10 points.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Just a question -

Does Louisville "belong" in a BCS bowl any more than NIU (besides the fact that they belong to a conference that prolly also doesn't belong)?

NIU did actually play one ranked team before yesterday.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Roger_the_Shrubber wrote:FSU lived up to their billing.
So you're saying everybody expected them to look tremendously mediocre for the vast majority of that game?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

no, he's saying most CFB fans quit watching that snoozer by halftime.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Mikey, more so than NIU, but no. Big East should have lost their "auto" status years ago.

Mgo,

So you are implying that you didn't expect them to look mediocre most of the game? And still win easily and cover?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I'm not implying anything, I'm poking fun at RtS for beating his chest over FSU's meh performance against a team he probably thought wouldn't last beyond the first quarter. There was no shame in the win, but nothing to brag about either.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Left Seater wrote:Belong and uncompetitive are not the same thing.

Try again.

An uninspired FSU won by 21 in front of no one. Yet another reason NIU didn't belong. Fake kicks and on sides kickoffs and NIU still only managed 10 points.
Did Clemson not belong the year before when they got buttfucked in the mouth by WV? Did VT not belong in 2011 when they got blown out? Did OU not belong when they got blown out by SC 10 years ago? And what the fuck does attendance have anything to do with NIU, especially when bowl attendance is down across the board? Oh, and nice shot at "gimmicky" football.

You football elitists make me fucking sick. NIU fucking belonged. They played by the rules and earned their spot. It's not like the MAC commish fucking appointed them over other teams. That's how the rules were set up. I can only pray a MANPAD (not one of AP's panty liners) takes your ass down someday.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Fuck off, cunt.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Literally the only reason NIU was in that game was because Dayne Crist over threw a wide open TD pass that would have iced the game for 1-11 Kansas. Sure they belonged. Keep spilling your tears, maybe that will make it so.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Good to know RICE is somehow elite and therefore makes me elitist. Yes they made it in by the rules but how? A 12 position jump in the Peter Wolf computer ranking from week 14 to week 15 (final ranking). A 7 position jump in the Richard Billingsley computer ranking from week 14 to week 15 (final). Add that on top of NIU climbing 8 spots in the final two weeks of one of the voters polls and it all adds up to manipulation to get NIU in a BCS game "per the rules."

But again, there is a difference between belonging and competitive. Sam Houston State and North Dakota State both would be competitive with a number of FBS teams, but they don't belong on the same field with them.
Python
Elwood

Post by Python »

Obviously the SEC's fault.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

You football elitists - Sam and Lefty - are straight up inconsistent bitches if you're not going to acknowledge teams like NIU don't belong on ANY field with BCS-level teams if they don't belong on their elite bowl fields. Or do basic anti-trust issues escape your comprehension?
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

It has zero to do with elitism, as I feel the same way about RICE. I love my school but they don't belong in a BCS bowl unless they are undefeated.

I have stated that clearly in the past and will continue to do so.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Guess you should tell your major CFB butt buddies to lose less than twice then. That and to stop raping underage tattoo artists. One-loss non-AQ schools don't get in over one-loss AQ schools.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Left Seater wrote:It has zero to do with elitism, as I feel the same way about RICE. I love my school but they don't belong in a BCS bowl unless they are undefeated.
Yet if 1/3rd of an AQ school's resume consists of wins over those same teams you don't think belong, you have no problem with that?
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

And now Mclub is rolling out homo smack in CFB?

Sad day. Hell, a decade ago I thought he was one of the better posters here. Sad day I guess.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Butt buddy is homo smack? Er, okay. I'm sowwy to hear I don't have the approval of some kneejerk, shallow thought, right wing clap trap, though. Next time you can just admit your line of reasoning is weak sauce.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Sudden Sam wrote:Beat 8 AQ teams and you can get into a BCS bowl. Anything less shouldn't allow a team in.
Nice fantasy world you live in. I'd like for Michigan to beat OSU once in awhile but just doesn't happen, so have to face reality. Please tell us how teams from a non-BCS conference are going to win 8 games against AQ teams when the most they can schedule is 4. You're not allowed to pretend things like courts and lawyers don't exist, either.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

M Club wrote:Butt buddy is homo smack? Er, okay. I'm sowwy to hear I don't have the approval of some kneejerk, shallow thought, right wing clap trap, though. Next time you can just admit your line of reasoning is weak sauce.
Conservative jerkoffs have their feelings easily bruised. Didn't you get the memo?
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

M Club wrote:anti-trust
What?

-Slobbering Sam
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Orange Bowl ratings were up 47% this year. Not bad for a game involving a team that didn't belong there.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

The redneck simpleton ignorant of anti-trust laws and issues is calling others simpletons? Rich.
Killian

Post by Killian »

NIU playing in the Orange Bowl is the result of the “every kid gets a trophy!” mindset. You want to play football and graduate with $0 student loan debt but aren’t quite good enough to hack it at an AQ school? Sorry, you don’t get to go to a BCS game. Ever. You want to go to a BCS game? Go walk on at an AQ school and take out some loans. Life is full of choices. To borrow a line from Carlin, college football is like life. A few winners, a whole bunch of fucking losers. There isn’t going to be some rule in place to help these kids out when they go for job interviews. Bigger companies offer better benefits and retirement packages, but you’ll likely never get a corner office. Smaller companies offer a quicker/easier path to the corner office, but you miss out on the benefit and retirement side.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

This thread is turning into something rich. Didn't realize a cutthroat, multi-billion dollar industry was somehow predicated on participation trophies. Any other pathetic analogies you guys want to draw to further illuminate your siege mentality? Some of us can watch football without worrying about Messicans, you know.

Teams like NIU get invites to the show only so long as there aren't enough elite teams to fill a dance card. Has nothing to do with your dumbfuck beliefs that society's turned everyone into a bunch of whiny bitches and everything to do with the CFB big boys exploiting the MAC, Sun Belt, Mountain West, etc.'s D-1 status when scheduling wins but then colluding with each other to deny them access to any sort of reasonable payout. If Oklahoma and all the other teams you think somehow distinguished themselves as deserving a BCS bid weren't so busy losing two or three games then they would have been invited instead. I mean, would have loved seeing Oklahoma blown out for the 17th straight year instead of seeing a MAC team finally get its shot. Otherwise, I take it this "life isn't fair" rant means you were just passed over for a promotion. My sympathies.

And an Alabama fan whining about the system is truly mind boggling. I can't think of another team the BCS has bent over backwards to fellate. (Oh, was that homo smack? Sorry, Lefty.) Bitches couldn't even win their measly little conference division last year, let alone the entire conference, yet here were the same people you're whining about for upvoting NIU doing the exact thing for your team, but nary the peep aside from references to hypotheticals about the two best teams. Even after winning Bama was given the MNC even though winning on the road > winning at a neutral site. Then this year they lose to some Big XII has been but fuck Oregon because they didn't even win their division, amirite?
Killian

Post by Killian »

Nope, wasn’t passed over for a promotion. Just got one actually. But thanks for caring.

The bowls are about one thing and one thing only, making money. You want to put a rule in that says a non-AQ school gets a shot if they finish in the top 4? Fine. But when you start putting in rules that need a flow chart to properly explain them, it’s starting to turn into participation ribbons. But hey, NIU finished in the top 16 ahead of the conference champion of an AQ conference on a Sunday that featured a full moon in the year of the Tiger. So props to them. Never mind the fact that they lost to one of the worst teams this year in the Big 10. But that’s completely the same as undefeated Utah, Boise and TCU getting in. If the little guy doesn’t want to be taken advantage of, don’t take the check and schedule a regular season game. It was established long ago that the mid-majors were whores; at this point we’re just debating the price. Maybe the major conference will stop scheduling the mid-majors and actually schedule games with teams in other power conferences. I know, novel concept.

Maybe OU would have gotten blown out again. Or maybe they would have generated more than 200 yards of offense, brought some fans and actually made it a game. Losing to the #1 and #5 teams in the country should be penalized harsher than losing to a 4-8 Big 10 team.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Killian wrote:Nope, wasn’t passed over for a promotion. Just got one actually. But thanks for caring.

The bowls are about one thing and one thing only, making money. You want to put a rule in that says a non-AQ school gets a shot if they finish in the top 4? Fine. But when you start putting in rules that need a flow chart to properly explain them, it’s starting to turn into participation ribbons. But hey, NIU finished in the top 16 ahead of the conference champion of an AQ conference on a Sunday that featured a full moon in the year of the Tiger. So props to them. Never mind the fact that they lost to one of the worst teams this year in the Big 10. But that’s completely the same as undefeated Utah, Boise and TCU getting in. If the little guy doesn’t want to be taken advantage of, don’t take the check and schedule a regular season game. It was established long ago that the mid-majors were whores; at this point we’re just debating the price. Maybe the major conference will stop scheduling the mid-majors and actually schedule games with teams in other power conferences. I know, novel concept.

Maybe OU would have gotten blown out again. Or maybe they would have generated more than 200 yards of offense, brought some fans and actually made it a game. Losing to the #1 and #5 teams in the country should be penalized harsher than losing to a 4-8 Big 10 team.
So it's "all about the money" if it suits one part of your argument but then it's "the sanctity of competition" when it's time for the other? Uh, okay. You know why they need flowcharts (though I don't understand how "if one non-AQ team is reasonably better than just one AQ champion" constitutes a flowchart)? Because when one non-AQ team is clearly one of the four best teams in the country (per your example) they were still left out of the BCS, hence the anti-trust suits. Oh ja, the other reason for flowcharts is Notre Dame. Go figure.

The Sunday that featured a full moon in the year of the Tiger was was coaches raping kids, Jim Tressel being carried off his shoulders to the claps of adoring fans even though he was the reason for torpedoing OSU's perfect season, and no one else bothering to be decent in a year decent gave you a shot at the MNC ('sup, Florida?). Lucky for NIU they were in the right place at the right time. Guess that's why they call it the perfect storm. That and you figure out a better way to manage a sport with 120 teams because, surprise, even if we get our beloved 8-team playoff, last one in is often going to be a non-AQ.

But I like that it's the mid-majors who are the whores here, as if it's not the power schools whoring themselves out for a few extra bucks and four extra wins so the SEC can brag about all their 7-5 teams who went sub-.500 in conference play.

Congrats on the promotion. I'm surprised someone with a corner office is so obsessed with participation ribbons. Seems to me you would have noticed the people you're so afraid of don't generally hack it in high society anyhow.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Sudden Sam wrote:What exception did Alabama take advantage of to get to the MNC game last year?

As I recall, the two best teams in the country played for the title. Did Alabama jump 8 or 9 spots after beating some pissant team? Nope.

It's not a matter of keeping the little guys down. It's a matter of earning your way to the top games.

If the little schools want to give up their big payday games against the upper level teams, let 'em do it. But playing a shit schedule all year and going undefeated doesn't impress anyone. No one should be afforded an exception and allowed to leap over more deserving teams to go to a BCS game.
So we're playing the willfully ignorant card now? As I recall, the best team in the country beat the shit out of the best Big XII team last night. But that doesn't matter since their toughest game was scheduled a bit later in the season than Bama's third or fourth-toughest. Bama couldn't even win their conference yet they were given an Affirmative Action mulligan because obviously they were so good they should be given a second chance. Is that how it works? I totally love those professional semi-finals in any sport that fans treat as de-facto championships because the winner's obviously going to kill the other conference's representative. Tune in next week for the rematch, right? But I like the authority you give an entirely subjective system when it comes to placing your team in the MNC but how horribly subjective it is when some mid-major gets to play in a glorified consolation game that has no bearing on who actually wins the MNC.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Sudden Sam wrote:They did absolutely NOTHING to earn that spot.
Yes, they did.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

I love how Sam's pathetic ignorance frames the issues simply as the non-BCS schools just up and quitting scheduling the BCS schools just so they can prove a point.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

While I agree with nearly everything M Club has posted in this thread, I do think he missed the boat by a mile with this one...
Has nothing to do with your dumbfuck beliefs that society's turned everyone into a bunch of whiny bitches and everything to do with the CFB big boys exploiting the MAC, Sun Belt, Mountain West, etc.'s D-1 status when scheduling wins but then colluding with each other to deny them access to any sort of reasonable payout.
Those exploited teams are most certainly not being denied access to any sort of a reasonable payout. The fact is, like any good whore they receive their payout at the time of services rendered. All those programs receive ample compensation every time they willingly offer themselves up as cannon fodder throughout the regular season.

Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

NIU didn't have one single win against a quality opponent but had one loss to the worst Iowa team in recent memory, so, yeah, they obviously deserved to jump 8 spots in the poll and qualify for a BCS Bowl game. :roll: KIllian has been spot on with his posts.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

They certainly didn't deserve it on merit, but rules are rules. What are you gonna do?

Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Van wrote:They certainly didn't deserve it on merit, but rules are rules. What are you gonna do?
I don't think you can do anything about the problem, which is voters manipulating the polls to get the desired results. I can't believe that any of the voters truly believed NIU was a top 15 team based on what they did on the field. They were apparently trying to make a statement that mirrors what killian has already stated. It might make the mid-majors feel good but it doesn't make for good football games in the bowls. Losing a close game to Iowa should have sent the message to all of the voters that NIU was not a BCS bowl caliber team and that the MAC is not on the same level as the BCS conferences. They may have deserved to be in a decent bowl, but not one of the BCS bowls any more than Michigan State or Minnesota...two other teams that lost to Iowa this year.
Killian

Post by Killian »

I never said it was about the “sanctity of competition”. If that were the case, there would be no rules and the top 10 teams would play in the BCS bowls. We could try to unravel the ball of knotted up Christmas lights trying to figure out the beginning of all that is wrong with college football, but for right now we’re all talking about the BCS bowl selection process. The whole selection process is fucked up. If it were up to me, there would be no automatic bids and you let the bowls choose who goes where. The BCS wants to take 4 SEC teams? Fine. But fix the problem on the front end by changing the rules so that no team that schedules a 1AA team is eligible for the BCS. Also, with 4 nonconference games, 2 have to be against AQ conference opponents, 1 at home and 1 on the road.

I completely agree with your comment w/r/t ND and flowchart. ND has made their bed wanting to be an independent. So, get rid of the deal they have now where they get a BCS payout every year and let them keep all the money if they make it. If they don’t, tough shit. If ND is in the top (fill in the blank) they are eligible to be chosen. But then again, as I said before I would get rid of all automatic bids and bowl tie-ins to the BCS (and to all bowl games) and let the bowls pick for themselves.

The bowls have never been about giving us the best match-up; they’ve been about maximizing profit. Making them take teams from mid-major conferences has made for a few nice stories, but it’s ridiculous.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

The thing is, if it's solely about maximizing the profit then why on earth would anyone ever go out of their way to choose a team like NIU? They bring absolutely nothing to the table. Any of the marquee squads that were inexplicably passed in the polls by NIU would have made for a more marketable Orange Bowl opponent for the Seminoles.