My experience as a teacher and thoughts on the profession...

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

My experience as a teacher and thoughts on the profession...

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

Alright weirdos, break out your spreadsheets. I'm about to drop some personal info.
88 wrote:
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:The saddest part is, at 40k/year he'd still be making more than the teachers he's ostensibly protecting.
You are kidding, right? My wife is a teacher. Her benefits are worth at least $20K per year alone. And her salary after five years exceeded $40K. Not particularly bad for 182 work days per year.
88 posted this in the gun control thread, and I didn't want to derail that lively discussion, but this is a subject that I've become all too familiar with over the past year or so.

In direct response to 88's post, no I was not kidding, and I really hope you were joking with your response, especially that 182 workdays part. Maybe the teaching profession is drastically different up there in Ohio, but here in Arizona, teachers have to grade papers, plan lessons and attend a seemingly endless parade of meetings, committees, parent-teacher conferences, training sessions, webinars (god, I hate that word) and, my personal favorite, "team-building exercises."

I know this because I was a teacher. I started in August, and I lasted a whopping two months. I was putting in probably 14-18 hours a day, six days a week. In an effort to preserve my sanity, I forced myself to just take Saturdays to relax and try to enjoy some college football (although the Buffs kind of fucked up that plan), but even on those Saturdays, I still had this tremendous feeling of guilt that I should be doing some teaching-related stuff in order to not fall further behind. The other six days, I was doing teaching/school-related shit from the time my alarm went off at 5:20 a.m. until the time I went to bed around 10 or 11. Then I'd go to bed and fucking dream about the shit.

My salary was $35,500 (I got the extra $500 for having a masters degree. Heh.) It took me all of six weeks to realize that it wasn't worth it. I don't doubt that the job gets easier after a couple years and that the pay gradually increases, but the fact remains that about 50% of teachers quit within their first two years of starting the job. Considering I hated it after only a month and a half, I wasn't willing to sacrifice two full years of my life on what essentially amounts to a coin flip that it might eventually become tolerable, manageable even.

I've never had a job bring me to tears before, but I had a full-on breakdown just two weeks into my teaching "career" (not in front of the kids, thankfully). I was just sitting alone in my room at home after another grueling day, trying to figure out how I was ever going to get caught up with everything, and I just flat-out lost it. Sat there and cried like a girl for about 45 minutes. I eventually composed myself and decided to suck it up and keep plowing ahead, but things continued to get harder. It seemed like every time I checked one item off of one of my to-do lists, I would add two or three more. I was genuinely starting to fear for my sanity, so I put in my notice. Told them I'd stay as long as they needed to find a suitable replacement, but I wanted my life back.

So yeah, needless to say, I have an even greater respect for teachers after this experience. It's not like I thought teachers were underworked and overpaid heading into it, but I admit that I did kind of fall for 88's little 182 workdays fallacy. From the outside, it seems like an almost cushy schedule - Monday through Friday, every holiday off, a week in the spring, a week in the fall, two weeks for Christmas and two months in the summer. As it turns out, those aren't days off from work, just days off from teaching. And unfortunately, teaching only comprises about 30-40% of a teacher's actual workload.

Anyway, I could write a whole lot more (and I might actually try to pitch an article on it at some point), but I've probably given you fucksticks plenty of ammo already. So what are your thoughts on teaching? Anybody else actually tried it? How did it work out for you?
"Keys, woman!"
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Re: My experience as a teacher and thoughts on the professio

Post by Derron »

I posted below 88's thread about the pay scales in our area at least.

I will say rack you for trying. Your one of the few who actually give a fuck, and hold yourself to a pretty high personal standard. I imagine once you got through those first 2 to 3 years, you could have got the coasting thing down pretty good.

I am involved with our local school district on a couple different levels, and know a lot of teachers. Some good, some not so good, and some fucking horrible. Not held to any accountability standards, and having a union back up low performance makes it hard to bring those standards up. The one who know how to work the system have it down good.

It is one of the better paying /benefit position's in today's work world. Full family health at no cost, paid for retirement with you not having to put a dime in your own account. In our market at least.

That being said , it is a job. Lots of people work 14 hour days, in their own business's or in a job they may have a loose grip on.

Expect Mace to begin smacking me in 3....2....1....
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

As a former public school teacher with 32 years of credited experience I have a lot to say about it all. I'll begin with this. If I'm not mistaken, when the school board contributes into the individual teacher's retirement system, they get a break on their share of social security taxes. In other words, instead of just paying teacher's more and having them pay the full boat on retirement, it is more economical to do it the way it is done. I think this also applies to the private sector. Regarding my current NYSTRS (NY State Teacher's Retirement System) pay out, I have been lead to believe it is 90% self funded by the investments made by NYSTRS. So I do not see myself as a huge burden on today's taxpayers back in New York. When I began teaching we did invest a portion of our salary to the system. That changed around 1972 or so with the Taylor Law in NY. My starting salary was $4,500 with two years credited military service. I retired in 1994 and my current retirement pay is around $30K per year. It would be more, but I opted for a plan that gives MrsO my retirement checks in the event I die before she does. If it is the other way, I go up to the maximum allowed.
One thing I will admit is that my first year of teaching was not pleasant. I was in a school district that had no support for starting teachers and my lack of preparation showed. Could be that MikeCUfan was in a similar situation. When I took a position at another school things turned around 180º and I was on my way to a successful career. More on that later if this thread gets going.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Mike, did you go to school with the intent of being a teacher? How old are you?

I can't speak to it myself, but my daughter is teaching 6 credit hour classes a day while also being the head softball coach at a juco. The softball coach job she wanted, the teaching gig came along with her having a masters degree.

Apparently, she's doing well and loves it. Sorry you had such a stressful time, but perhaps not everyone is cut out to be a teacher.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:I've never had a job bring me to tears before, but I had a full-on breakdown just two weeks into my teaching "career" (not in front of the kids, thankfully). I was just sitting alone in my room at home after another grueling day, trying to figure out how I was ever going to get caught up with everything, and I just flat-out lost it. Sat there and cried like a girl for about 45 minutes.
I don't mean to be rude or anything, but you are one weak bitch. Jesus Christ. That is fucking pathetic. I honestly have no idea how you intend to function on any level in any occupation with that degree of fragility.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Mac22
Elwood

Post by Mac22 »

as a former teacher, I can tell you I had a similar experience to Mike. I got a teaching degree from a WI system school and was recruited to AZ for a high school gig. starting pay was 29k. I made an extra 2k for being a varsity coach. My district had a ton of support in place for new teachers, and it helped immensely, but it was still very overwhelming. Even though WI has some of the highest requirements for certification, I had to "meet AZ requirements" by retaking a test I took as a sophomore in college (they claimed 3 years was too long of a gap) and pay for it, then take 2 classes totaling 4 credits before I would have a full AZ license. so to start the year, subtract 2500 from my salary to cover that. I had 6 classes with a size averaging 36 kids per class.
between lesson plans, grading homework, and doing my licensing requirements, I barely had time to cook for myself. even days where students didn't have class or only had a half day, teachers were still required to report. those days I left around 5:30.
I moved back to WI after two years, and even with two years experience could not get a job due to all of the cuts here. I subbed for another year before moving on. In order for me to maintain (not even advance) my license, I will need 6 more credit hours.

as of now, it not worth the time and expense for me to keep my license up. I'll continue to be a stay at home dad and have a side job until our first born is in school (so I have 4 years) at least. maybe then conditions will improve or I'll find something else to do. the thing is, I love teaching, but my mental and physical health wasn't worth the sacrifice at that point.
"Statistics are like bikinis. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital."

If teachers made twice as much as rock stars, which would you rather be?

There are two motivations in sports... which one is yours?

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

mvscal wrote:I don't mean to be rude
:lol:

If I needed a sig, this would serve.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

War Wagon wrote:Mike, did you go to school with the intent of being a teacher? How old are you?

I can't speak to it myself, but my daughter is teaching 6 credit hour classes a day while also being the head softball coach at a juco. The softball coach job she wanted, the teaching gig came along with her having a masters degree.

Apparently, she's doing well and loves it. Sorry you had such a stressful time, but perhaps not everyone is cut out to be a teacher.
No, I didn't get a degree in education. I had never student taught or even subbed before. That's actually a big part of what finally drove me over the edge. I signed up for this program through a local community college called the Teacher in Residence program. It's specifically designed for people with degrees in fields other than education. The way it works in a nutshell is that anyone with a bachelors degree can get their fingerprint clearance card, pass the Arizona Educator Proficiency Assessment for their selected subject area (in my case, high school English) and take one 3-credit online class on teaching ESL students, then enter the program and begin teaching immediately. Over the course of two years, you earn your teaching certificate while actually teaching. So in addition to all the horrors that I outlined above, I was also facing the prospect of taking 9-12 credit hours of online EDU classes every semester for my first two years. There was about a six-week gap between when the classes I was teaching started and when the classes I was taking started, and once I got to the point where I had to add a bunch of reading and homework on top of everything else I was facing, I just decided to cut my losses and get out while I was still sane.

That's probably also why I gave up as quickly as I did. If I had spent four years getting an actual education degree, I not only would've been more prepared, but I also would've had a lot more time and money invested into it.

I honestly don't see how anyone succeeds in that program. I have never felt so overwhelmed and in over my head in my entire life. I threw myself into it for that first month or so, but it quickly wore me down. It's not like I didn't know what I was getting into (on paper, at least), but in reality, I had no fucking clue what I was signing up for.

The particulars of my situation were not ideal either. I got hired on Friday, Aug. 3 and the first day of school was Monday, Aug. 6, so I was playing catch-up from Day 1. I didn't even get the week of prep before the school year that experienced teachers get. I'm also fairly certain that the school where I got hired had never had a TIR candidate before. The administration and the other English teachers were all as helpful as they could be, but as a first-year teacher with zero classroom experience, I could've used a little more structure. I was pretty much making it up as I went along, piecing together lesson plans from some of my colleagues and the teacher edition of the textbook. It was pretty harrowing. I felt bad for my first class, because they always got the "dress rehearsal" of every lesson. It's probably no coincidence that my 5th period class had the best class average.

Also, rack mvscal. Dude is nothing if not consistent.
"Keys, woman!"
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Derron wrote: It is one of the better paying /benefit position's in today's work world. Full family health at no cost, paid for retirement with you not having to put a dime in your own account. In our market at least.

That being said , it is a job. Lots of people work 14 hour days, in their own business's or in a job they may have a loose grip on.
Well, as a single dude with no kids, I didn't really reap those rewards to the extent that other teachers might. The health insurance was nice (I did get a $70 vasectomy out of the deal, haha), but it still wasn't worth giving up every other aspect of my life for two years, especially since there was no guarantee that I'd like it even after I figured out how to "coast."
"Keys, woman!"
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

I now know there's some serious discussion going on in here...but the romanticist in me was hoping Mike would break out a confession regarding something along the lines of:

E UNUM PLURIBUS
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

It may not be a coincidence that your 5th period class had better results. Most schools set their class schedules around band/orchestra. Typically the better students are into that and tend to "travel together" through the school day. I'm guessing that may have been in place there.
My BS is in Agricultural Science. I took a couple methods courses, but had no student teaching training. My first year of teaching granted me a NY Provisional Teaching Certificate where I could teach for 5 years and get my Master's or Master's Equivalent (30 hours of graduate study) for a Permanent Certificate in Biology and General Science. While near the end of my disastrous first year, I met MrsO. I was going to give up on teaching and get into law enforcement. A friend was lining me up for a job with the Onondaga County (Syracuse) Sheriff's Department. I wanted to marry MrsO, but decided teaching was a better job for a married man. I found a new job in a far better school district, Married MrsO and we relocated to my new job. I completed my 30 hours of graduate work at Oneonta state by taking night courses and a couple summer sessions to got my permanent certificate within the 5 years allotted. Among the courses I took were Adolescent Psychology and Advanced Educational Psychology which helped me immensely in dealing with learning and the ages of my students. I was quite successful and became one of the more innovative and well respected teachers where I worked.
By the time 1994 rolled around, NY state was offering early retirement to those age 55 with 32 years of service. I said where do I sign. Yes, I was finally burned out. If you want details and have a minute, I'll tell you.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Mac22 wrote:as a former teacher, I can tell you I had a similar experience to Mike. I got a teaching degree from a WI system school and was recruited to AZ for a high school gig. starting pay was 29k. I made an extra 2k for being a varsity coach. My district had a ton of support in place for new teachers, and it helped immensely, but it was still very overwhelming.
Did you breakdown and cry too, you little pussy. Go ahead and squirt a few tears, you sackless bag of crap.

Oh dear, it all too overwhelming. Holy Fuck. Go ahead and point out the professions which aren't stressful and overwhelming at times. I'd like to know what they are. Even Wags had to have felt overwhelmed at times by the number of pallets he had to move around from one point to another and all the while the knowledge that his daughter is a lesbian and he will never have grandchildren gnawing at him inside. Do you think he broke down and cried up in the cab of his forklift?!? Fuck no. He manned up and moved that stuff from one spot to another like a true professional. Man the fuck up, crybaby.

Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

mvscal is lucky that teachers didn't carry firearms when he attended school.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

It's ok for men to cry. They should have that outlet. I've seen a lot of men cry this weekend after what happened in CT.

As far as teaching, I think most men would find it difficult. And most men really don't want to do that kind of job. If a guy wants to teach little kids, he's most likely gay or is interested in children in a criminal way.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Hello, trev. Would it be wrong to ejaculate in the crack of your ass? Cause if it is I don't ever want to be right. Call me.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

trev wrote: As far as teaching, I think most men would find it difficult. And most men really don't want to do that kind of job. If a guy wants to teach little kids, he's most likely gay or is interested in children in a criminal way.
trev, you are a fucking idiot.

Anyway, Mike you were doomed to failure without a formal education in classroom management, student teaching, subbing, etc.

I did it for 6 years after my Navy career. It seemed cool as I liked school when I was a kid. Now it's all about prepping for the SAT-9 so the administrators can keep their 6 figure jobs. I've seen many new teachers break down, and most were women as it's a tough profession.

One of my current nursing jobs is working in local school districts. When I talk to the teachers, they are putting up with the same bullshit I did back in the day after I left the USN.

Many people that get into teaching are what is considered "subject matter experts," but if you can't manage a classroom you won't last.

Cuda, your thoughts? I mean YOU, Cuda.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

My wife is in education and it influenced my oldest daughter to study Education at the University of Texas. After one semester my daughter is changing to nursing because she says the Education department is full of "slacker losers". My wife seems to enjoy her work, but she does get stressed at times. But I think that has a lot to do with her working primarily with special education students and working at a Title 1 school, which in Texas is the designation for ghetto poor school. I too almost went the education route in college, but instead I chose a worthless degree plan, Criminal Justice. I do like the 182 work days per year and lots of holidays because I never had to stress over what to do with my kids when school was out. The 7-330 work schedule has been golden since my work schedule sucks ass. I get Sun and Mon off and work 10a- 7p with periods of crazy overtime. It is common after severe weather for me to go months without a day off so I am thankful my wife has great working hours. I'm not sure how much she really makes since we do not really rely on her pay to live, but I can imagine it would be tough to live our usual standard of life on her income alone or even the income of two teachers.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

mvscal wrote:Hello, trev. Would it be wrong to ejaculate in the crack of your ass? Cause if it is I don't ever want to be right. Call me.

You son-of-a-bitch...

:evil:

You know she's been sippin' again...and there you are, ready to swoop in...you rotten bastard.

trev, what ever happened to our promise? That you'd PM me if you ever got the urge to break with sobriety? Why are you doing this? Why are you doing this...to us?
:cry:
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

mvscal wrote: ... and he will never have grandchildren gnawing at him inside.
Personally I'm glad I'll never have grandchildren gnawing at me inside.

But that's just me.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

I am serious. Why would a man want to teach elementary school? Normal men aren't wired that way.
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

trev wrote:I am serious. Why would a man want to teach elementary school? Normal men aren't wired that way.
At my wife's school most of the teachers are hot women in their late 20's, most of them single. It is a great reason for me to be excited for the end of the year teacher parties for the staff so I would also think it would be a great place to work.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

mvscal wrote:Hello, trev. Would it be wrong to ejaculate in the crack of your ass?
See, every discussion ultimately comes back to this.

trev, is it "normal" to want to slap my hog on your bouncy little ass cheeks before I plow deeply into your virgin chocolatey love canal, then pull out and geyser hot loads of salty man soup all over your face and down your tits then tell you to fix me a delicious turkey sandwich on homemade italian bread with tomato, mayo and watercress? Huh? Is that normal?
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Did I touch a nerve?
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

campinfool wrote:
trev wrote:I am serious. Why would a man want to teach elementary school? Normal men aren't wired that way.
At my wife's school most of the teachers are hot women in their late 20's, most of them single. It is a great reason for me to be excited for the end of the year teacher parties for the staff so I would also think it would be a great place to work.
While I see your point, work is for work, not play.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

If the alternative is posting like a Tour Of Duty character in the Connecticut thread, I call stalemate.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

trev wrote:Did I touch a nerve?
You aren't touching the nerve. That's the problem. :|
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

I'm not buying the hard man routine from the suburban internet militia, 'dust off the freedom bird' jargon aside. I'll bet the dam breaks when wifey rags on about a trip to Bed Bath and Beyond.
Last edited by Dr_Phibes on Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

mvscal wrote:Oh dear, it all too overwhelming. Holy Fuck. Go ahead and point out the professions which aren't stressful and overwhelming at times. I'd like to know what they are. Even Wags had to have felt overwhelmed at times by the number of pallets he had to move around from one point to another and all the while the knowledge that his daughter is a lesbian and he will never have grandchildren gnawing at him inside. Do you think he broke down and cried up in the cab of his forklift?!? Fuck no. He manned up and moved that stuff from one spot to another like a true professional. Man the fuck up, crybaby.
mv delivers, my side hurts from laughing so hard.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Derron wrote:Full family health at no cost, paid for retirement with you not having to put a dime in your own account. In our market at least.
In your "market"?

Did I ever say you were full of shit? Of course I have. Either that, or your market is full of dip shits.

There is no such thing as a free ride, but if true, good luck to Oregon supporting that sort of handout.

My daughter pays $550 a month towards retirement, mandated by the Missouri public employees system.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Strong men also cry.
"Keys, woman!"
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:Strong men...
~swoon~

Sincerely,

rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

War Wagon wrote:
Derron wrote:Full family health at no cost, paid for retirement with you not having to put a dime in your own account. In our market at least.
In your "market"?

Did I ever say you were full of shit? Of course I have. Either that, or your market is full of dip shits.

There is no such thing as a free ride, but if true, good luck to Oregon supporting that sort of handout.

My daughter pays $550 a month towards retirement, mandated by the Missouri public employees system.
It's not a free ride. You make a deal. Get certified and get a masters degree and accept a whole lot less money than professionals in any other field and in return you get much better bennies which, although expensive, are nowhere near as expensive as the salaries paid to CEOs with masters degrees EVERY FUCKING DAY.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

88 wrote:When I went to school, if you weren't bright enough to be an engineer, a scientist, a business major etc., you got steered into elementary or secondary education or something in the liberal arts or humanities, where the sledding was much, much easier (and, not coincidentally, the income potential was commensurate with the effort required to obtain the degree).
Okay, engineers and scientists I'll give you, but did you seriously try to sneak "business major" in there too?
"Keys, woman!"
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Generally speaking, those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.

Ouch. I always hated that generality. To illustrate my history, I have a BS in Agricultural Science from the U of Maine, specializing in botany and entomology. Before graduation, I was lining up a job with US Customs and Immigration doing plant quarantine work. A buddy of mine and I got hooked on teaching and honestly believed it would be THE profession of the 60's. So I went back to NY state which I thought would be a better place to start a teaching career financially. It was a bit ironic that after teaching, I took a job at Cornell working in entomology research. OK, so it wasn't in the private sector. I never thought of my work as any sort of gravy training. Did I have to work with people who were slackers and mailed it in every day? Of course, but this old fart wasn't one of them.

Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

88 wrote:When I went to school, if you weren't bright enough to be an engineer, a scientist, a business major etc., you got steered into elementary or secondary education or something in the liberal arts or humanities......
And the really bright ones like TVO went to law school. :roll:
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

War Wagon wrote:
In your "market"?

It's the latter -- our market is full of dipshits -- Flyover transplants (and their Calfornia bretheren) who think money is free, and all things D are good.

We've discussed Oregon's wonderful system here before -- the public employee unions engage in collective bargaining with the Legislature... who are members of the same public employee union. They generally vote to expand benefits to not just the members, but people associated with them. By some estimates, about 47% of everybody benefits in some way, either directly or indirectly, from the PERS (retirement) system.

So, we take that 47%, and then add in the idiot party-liners who don't even look at issues, just vote the D ticket (and any bills they endorse), and each election cycle bring about another reign of Ds. Problem is, those Ds get a boatload of money from the public employee unions, which the D run state is kind enough to deduct from everyone's check.

I know... sure, it sounds corrupt. But if anyone has a beef with it, they can challenge it in the state courts, even the Supreme Court. Then we get our day in court... with a case to be heard by the highest judges in the state...

who...

you see where this is going, right?

Right?

Yup, all the judges are also members of the same union.

Maybe we should demand a RICO investigation... from the federal government... that's run by Ds.

And in case you're wondering, that guaranteed 8% annual return on the retirement accounts (yup, guaranteed) has the retirement system about an Oregon GDP's worth in the hole.

As far as the union members having to contribute to their own retirement... yeah, we passed that law. They have to contribute 6% of their income... so the legislature pulled a fast oe, and decided the 6% fell into a reasonable cost of living increase, so that 6% comes from the taxpayers, not the union members.

And with that 47% number, there's no way we're getting right-to-work passed here, so the state will go bankrupt eventually, leaving the rest of you holding the bill for the largess and outright abuses by the Ds. I'm not saying the Rs weren't complicit -- they were (they started the ball rolling, and when the Ds eventually took power, they took it to new levels). But these days, they're just along for the ride.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

88 wrote:
BSmack wrote:It's not a free ride. You make a deal. Get certified and get a masters degree and accept a whole lot less money than professionals in any other field and in return you get much better bennies which, although expensive, are nowhere near as expensive as the salaries paid to CEOs with masters degrees EVERY FUCKING DAY.
A public school teacher, on a salary and benefits to hours worked basis, makes a shit load more than most people with comparable credentials. And apparently you haven't compared what public school teachers bring home as compared what their private sector counterparts bring home. If you had, you wouldn't have typed what you typed above. And there is no way a public school teacher can fairly be compared to a CEO of a company. A masters degree in education typically gets you a ticket to ride the public benefits gravy train. It does not mean that you are particularly bright, or gifted, or even that you can perform the occupation of teacher with any degree of skill. It just means you are qualified to ride on said gravy train.

Generally speaking, those who can, do. Those who can't, teach.

Please tell me that when you went to college you noticed that the best and brightest there did not gravitate toward elementary and secondary education as majors. When I went to school, if you weren't bright enough to be an engineer, a scientist, a business major etc., you got steered into elementary or secondary education or something in the liberal arts or humanities, where the sledding was much, much easier (and, not coincidentally, the income potential was commensurate with the effort required to obtain the degree).
Rack you for marrying a dumb cunt.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

88 wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:Rack you for marrying a dumb cunt.
Thanks. I will pass along your best regards.
Hey, you said it.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

And those who can't do jack shit or are too socially retarded work for the telephone company.
Trampis
Eternal Scobode

Post by Trampis »

I have a question for those that were or are teachers(or who are married to one).

Did you ever have a student cuss you out or physically try to hurt you?
Bad spelling is a diversionary tactic