Dumbest rule in the NFL...period.

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

The Seer
Just the Facts

Dumbest rule in the NFL...period.

Post by The Seer »

So Houston scores a phantom TD on a ridiculous call by the officials (ruling player not down despite elbow and knee on ground by contact). The Detroit coach, (Schwartz) instinctively throws the review flag on the field in the heat of the moment not realizing he used his allotted one challenge.

The genius that is the NFL, instead of reviewing the play to get it right and THEN penalizing Detroit the 15 yds, nope, throwing the challenge flag negates any type of review - despite a TD being scored....obviously affecting the outcome.

If I were LIONfan, I'd have been shouting for the replacement refs return.

Dumbest rule evah.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Shoalzie
WingNut

Re: Dumbest rule in the NFL...period.

Post by Shoalzie »

It sucks more that the Texans eventually tied it up and won it OT and put the final bullet in the Lions' season. Overall, that game was a shit show with both teams having a shot to win in OT. I've never heard of that rule...you could actually prevent the booth from reviewing a play when it damn well should've been reviewed regardless. Credit to Forsett for getting up and running because they never blew the play dead but I'm sorry but that's a stupid rule. If anything, throw a flag on Schwartz but to have that in place where the right call can't be made because of him throwing the red flag...why even have booth reviews on scores? That thing has to be either changed or better explained...how many people knew this was a rule before today?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Even the rule is pretty vague...

http://nflcommunications.com/2012/11/22 ... roit-game/

What exactly did Schwartz do other than talk to an official? Is the rule really saying that throwing a review flag is delay of game if the play was actually going to be reviewed anyway by the booth?
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Sooooo...long story short, Jim Schwartz is an idiot.

How the hell did this guy get admitted to Georgetown, again? No wonder the Lions are so undisciplined, they get it from their coach.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Upon further review, the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Schwartz fucked up, but losing a touchdown over it? Horrible.
Bob Wojonowski of the Detroit News wrote:It's against the rules to challenge a scoring play, even if, technically, it isn't a scoring play. They're automatically reviewed, and if a coach flings the red flag, it's an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty that nullifies the review — and in this case, ensured the touchdown.

"I knew the rule, that you can't challenge on a turnover or a scoring play, but I was so mad that I overreacted," Schwartz said. "I had the flag out of my pocket before he even scored the touchdown, and that's all my fault."

It's a horrendously dumb rule, and you have to believe the NFL will change it after the season. Penalize the coach, fine, but don't wipe out the replay review. It makes no sense, but I have a feeling this is why it exists. As the play unfolded, the crowd was enraged and the coach was enflamed, and he made an angry toss that wasn't necessary.

Schwartz didn't merely violate a rule, he broke decorum. In the swirl of action, he lost momentary control. He immediately turned to his players and said it was all on him, and he was right to take responsibility. But suddenly, the pressure was all on them. The lead was down to 24-21, and even though they battled back to take a 31-24 edge, a gift touchdown is hard to overcome.

Let's be clear here: The punishment far, far, far exceeds the crime. The biggest gaffe was the officials'. But they had a mechanism to fix it, and the mechanism was broken by Schwartz's inexcusable mistake.

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2012 ... z2D11H57VU
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

It's such an idiotic rule, it could be a great weapon...once out of challenges, if your team catches a break, (such as recovering a bogus fumble, making a bogus interception, etc.), and you know it's going to be reversed on further review, just throw the damn challenge flag and no worries... :meds:
E UNUM PLURIBUS
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Who cares. The Lions still had multiple opportunities to win that game and pissed down their legs each and every time. The entire franchise is still a joke. In fact, a bigger joke than they were before because now they actually have talent and still can't win.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

I felt bad for the Lions. Both teams were crap in the 5th quarter.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Looks like it's about time to tear the rule book in half. If you need a legal degree to parse through all this stupid bullshit, your game is over regulated and over officiated. And it sure is a relief to have the "real" officials back to fuck up games. It really would be intolerable if the scrub refs fucked this up.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

mvscal wrote:And it sure is a relief to have the "real" officials back to fuck up games. It really would be intolerable if the scrub refs fucked this up.
how did the refs fuck this up? it was a bad call that would have been overturned on review, but schwartz (who claims to know the rule that fucked the lions) was the one that threw the inappropriate challenge flag, hence negating any chance of the play being reviewed.....it's a stupid rule, but everybody plays by the same rules, stupid or not......

I've seen this before

the penalty on the falcons didn't fuck them out of a win, but it's the same deal.....maybe somebody should have said something last week.....
get out, get out while there's still time
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Felix wrote:how did the refs fuck this up?
Fuck the facts, mvsnog is on another tear.
godzilla2002
2011 NFL Best Bet Champ

Post by godzilla2002 »

What's dumb is going for a 47 yard field goal in overtime on third down. Run another play and get a few more yards for your kicker, he might not hit the upright. One yard closer and it would have been good.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Felix wrote:how did the refs fuck this up? it was a bad call...
Why are you asking questions when the answer is dick whipping you in the face? Do you like getting slapped in the face with dicks?
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

mvscal wrote:
Why are you asking questions when the answer is dick whipping you in the face? Do you like getting slapped in the face with dicks?
I can see you're upset by this.....I imagine you're in the process of writing a sternly worded letter to the NFL expressing your feigned indignity
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Felix wrote:how did the refs fuck this up?
Good question. Hmmm... let's mull that over for a minute.

Just how did the refs fuck this up.

Felix wrote:it was a bad call.
Eggs..fucking...zactly. Way to answer your own question, bro.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote: Eggs..fucking...zactly. Way to answer your own question, bro.
bad calls occur all the time....that's going to be inevitable when you have humans involved...
replay would have overturned it, had Schwartz not gone off a bender.....take last nights game for example when they called Crabtree down by contact when he wasn't....had that call altered the outcome of the game, what would niner fans have said?
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

So we agree. The refs fucked it up exactly as mvscal said and you know that you answered your own question.

Are we done?
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:So we agree. The refs fucked it up exactly as mvscal said and you know that you answered your own question.
so is a missed holding call or a pass interference call (worse/the same/better) than the missed call on Forsett?
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Check the scoreboard, you fucking idiot. The blown call on the (non) touchdown was the difference in the game or is 34 minus 7 too complicated for you to factor out?
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

mvscal wrote:Check the scoreboard, you fucking idiot. The blown call on the (non) touchdown was the difference in the game or is 34 minus 7 too complicated for you to factor out?
are you implying a blown holding or PI call hasn't changed the outcome of a game.....fuck, if you'd like, I can point out two glaring examples that have occurred this year....

the difference?

holding and PI calls are not reviewable....this one was, until quickdraw let his emotions get the better of him and fucked his own team out of win.....but dry your crocodile tears nancy, they'll take care of that rule next year and you'll have to find something else to get indignant about