Home Improvement DIY PET

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Home Improvement DIY PET

Post by Mikey »

As some may already know we had a solar PV patio cover constructed in our back yard a few months ago. Before it went up, whenever I was cooking outside at night, I had to use a portable light to cook by. I've been planning ever since on putting up some lights over the kitchen area and later over the main shaded part for dining at night.

So, I spent most of this weekend getting power there and putting in the lights over the kitchen.

Here's the load center that the solar installers put on the side of the house. They were nice enough to leave me enough space to add two single pole 15 amp breakers, one for lights and one for plugs.

I had to run about 30 feet of pipe underground from the load center to the patio cover, with four wires...black, red, white and green. Two hots a neutral and a ground. This is where it comes up from the ground, and up one of the posts to a box with a two plug GFCI outlet. I'll be getting rid of that dead honeysuckle pretty soon. It's a fucking menace.

From the GFCI the conduit goes up the post to a 4x8 cross beam and along that beam to the next post. It goes down the post to a box with two switches and around the corner to a 50 watt halogen floodlight. It was a challenge trying to figure out how to go up the post, then up the brace to the bottom of the cross beam and then transition up to the side of the cross beam. Had to put together an LB and an LL section to get a dual 90 degree turn. The only other choice would have had a couple feet of conduit hanging out in mid air, which the wife wasn't going for.

From there it goes around another corner to the beam opposite the first cross beam, where I added two 75 watt floods.

Finally, no more cooking by flashlight.

lovebuzz
Still thinking about a new title

Re: Home Improvement DIY PET

Post by lovebuzz »

if Mrs. Mikey ever checks out, call me.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

lovebuzz wrote:if Mrs. Mikey ever checks out, call me.
Before you do that, call me as I'll give you great driving directions to Mikey's house.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

I'm sure it was all inspected and cleared with the local code inspector and done with all proper permits. Still, you built it yourself.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

TenTallBen wrote:
Before you do that, call me as I'll give you great drunk driving directions to Mikey's house.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

Atomic Punk wrote:
Before you do that, call me as I'll give you great driving directions to Y2K's couch.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Wolfman wrote:I'm sure it was all inspected and cleared with the local code inspector and done with all proper permits. Still, you built it yourself.
Not inspected or permitted but definitely done to code. You want to turn me in?

Buzzer, I think I'll be long gone before she checks out.

I guess AP's been spying on me again...
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

88 wrote:Rack it, Mikey. One question, though. Other than the beauty of halogen lighting, why not LED lighting? Far less energy demand and much more (albeit weird ass colored) light?
Actually I originally wanted to use LED lighting but had a hard time finding any appropriate fixtures or lamps at the local or big box hardware stores. At this point you pretty much have to go to specialty lighting stores or on-line and I didn't want to buy something sight unseen on-line that I might not want to use. As far as the energy thing, I won't be using them enough to where it really makes much difference.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Mikey wrote:Not inspected or permitted but definitely done to code. You want to turn me in?
How small government, anti-Big Brother, pro-freedom of him, you know?
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Roach wrote:Very nice Mikey! Now just one thing more to consider . . . Those night lights will for sure attract some insects to help you cook. One possible solution, a fun one, is a quiet pellet gun.

May I suggest the Walther CP99.

Also fun for drilling grasshoppers during the daytime hours. Consider some hard plastic covers for the halogens, just in case.
Think it would work on the yappy little barking rat next door?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Mikey wrote:Not inspected or permitted but definitely done to code. You want to turn me in?
How small government, anti-Big Brother, pro-freedom of him, you know?
Yeah, wolfman tends to be very libertarian when it comes to himself.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

They have a Scottish Terrier which used to drive me crazy but they now have some kind of weiner dog, which I haven't seen up close, that has eclipsed the Scotty. In fact, the Scotty doesn't really bark much anymore. I think it realizes that it has become irrelevant. I bought a compressed air boat horn, which I blast over the fence sometimes when the dog's barking. I don't think it reallly shuts the dog up but it does get the neighbor's attention.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Mikey wrote:As some may already know we had a solar PV patio cover constructed in our back yard a few months ago.
Tell me about the screws they used...

:dins:
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

88 wrote:
Mikey wrote:
88 wrote:Rack it, Mikey. One question, though. Other than the beauty of halogen lighting, why not LED lighting? Far less energy demand and much more (albeit weird ass colored) light?
Actually I originally wanted to use LED lighting but had a hard time finding any appropriate fixtures or lamps at the local or big box hardware stores. At this point you pretty much have to go to specialty lighting stores or on-line and I didn't want to buy something sight unseen on-line that I might not want to use. As far as the energy thing, I won't be using them enough to where it really makes much difference.
True. I used halogen lighting over the bar I built in the three-season room addition we put on the casa this past year. It is a warm light, and can be dimmed. LED's, which I considered, just cast a cold bluish light, and cannot be dimmed effectively.

One of the few uses for LED's that look good is in rope lighting, where the LED's are contained within a colored tube. If you can get past the 1970's disco look to rope lighting, there are a lot of low-temperature accent lighting options.
We have a bunch of recessed floodlights in the kitchen ceiling, which we replaced with "dimmable" CFLs a couple of years ago. They only dimmed about 10% and buzzed when not on full. We replaced those with "dimmable" LEDs a few months ago and though not fully dimmable (maybe 30%) they actually have a fairly pleasant light (much better than the CFLs) and they don't buzz.