News Flash: Roy Halladay's career is over

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

News Flash: Roy Halladay's career is over

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Getting ass-raped by the Nats, 5-1 in the top of the 6th. Most bloated, underachieving team in the NL.

Nice team you got there, New York South.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Re: News Flash: Roy Halladay's career is over

Post by War Wagon »

While I doubt this portends the end of Halladays' career, I'm glad I have Jordan Zimmerman starting for my FB team tonight.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Getting ass-raped by the Nats, 5-1 in the top of the 6th. Most bloated, underachieving team in the NL.

Nice team you got there, New York South.

He was getting squeezed by the home plate umpire. Ruiz should have never turned around to say something but his gripe about the strike zone was legit. And Halladay is still better than 2/3 of the pitchers in baseball at this stage of his career.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

jiminphilly wrote: He was getting squeezed by the home plate umpire.
Oh fucking please. Halladay's been getting by on velocity his whole career and he's had a significant drop off this season and has yet to adjust.

And he's become predictable with his pitches. When a fucking rook knows you throw the same first pitch every time, well, you're finished. Just another bad Philly contract to throw on the pile of nearly-made-its.
The pitcher in question was Roy Halladay. And when finally presented the opportunity to face the two-time Cy Young Award winner Tuesday night, Harper stepped to the plate knowing exactly what to expect from the Phillies ace.

"I've been watching him for about three years," the 19-year-old outfielder said. "He throws a first-pitch curveball to so many people, and they just let it get over the plate. So I was just really trying to get something up in that situation and get something going. We had two guys on, and you had to get them in."

Sure enough, Halladay's first pitch to Harper in the top of the third inning was a "get-me-over" curveball. And sure enough, Harper was waiting for it and sent it on a beeline to right-center field for the two-run triple that put the Nationals on top and set them on their way to an impressive, 5-2 victory.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
jiminphilly wrote: He was getting squeezed by the home plate umpire.
Oh fucking please. Halladay's been getting by on velocity his whole career and he's had a significant drop off this season and has yet to adjust.

And he's become predictable with his pitches. When a fucking rook knows you throw the same first pitch every time, well, you're finished. Just another bad Philly contract to throw on the pile of nearly-made-its.
The pitcher in question was Roy Halladay. And when finally presented the opportunity to face the two-time Cy Young Award winner Tuesday night, Harper stepped to the plate knowing exactly what to expect from the Phillies ace.

"I've been watching him for about three years," the 19-year-old outfielder said. "He throws a first-pitch curveball to so many people, and they just let it get over the plate. So I was just really trying to get something up in that situation and get something going. We had two guys on, and you had to get them in."

Sure enough, Halladay's first pitch to Harper in the top of the third inning was a "get-me-over" curveball. And sure enough, Harper was waiting for it and sent it on a beeline to right-center field for the two-run triple that put the Nationals on top and set them on their way to an impressive, 5-2 victory.

Isn't this more of an endorsement of Harper than a knock against Halladay? Last I checked, he's been a pretty damn good pitcher the past 3 years. Good for the rook for doing his film work but given Halladay's success, I hardly blame him for throwing a curve to Harper. His velocity is down but that's not what he has relied on. It's been his ability to work both sides of the plate and having watched most of his starts I can tell you he's getting squeezed this year.

BTW, Zimmerman was too.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I don't much care for the Phillies, but that was a really dumb take, Screw.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

can't blame Screw for being a homer. nothing wrong with that as long as you're consistent.

So Screw, how did Cole Hamels dick taste tonight?
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I don't much care for the Phillies, but that was a really dumb take, Screw.
Parts of his take was spot on.
Screw_Michigan wrote:Just another bad Philly contract to throw on the pile of nearly-made-its.
Utley is being paid 15 million to do absolutely nothing. Howard is being paid 20 million to do absolutely nothing. Halladay, at 20 million, is vastly overpaid for his performance thus far. Nothing wrong with that take.

The part I don't really agree with is that Halladay was some sort of flamethrower who's been getting guys out by blowing a heater by them all these years. He's gotten by more on location/movement than a really overpowering fastball. He should be okay even if he's topping out in the low 90s now.