Big 12, SEC champs to play in bowl

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Re: Big 12, SEC champs to play in bowl

Post by Left Seater »

The site is to be determined?

This is in addition to the Cotton Bowl? If so great, just play it at the old Cotton Bowl now that the existing Cotton Bowl plays at Jerry World.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

So? Along with Bama and Oklahoma being in the playoffs we'll also get LSU vs Texas in the SEC/Big XII Bowl. What's wrong with that?
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

No, actually I'm not. If it will make you feel better, fine, swap Bama for LSU in my example. The point is that you're probably going to get each league's champion in the four-team playoffs plus you'll get each league's second most attractive team (not necessarily the runner-up, as we often see in the SEC with the Cash Grab game technically producing the runner-up but not the second highest ranked/most attractive team) squaring off against one another in the SEC/Big XII Bowl.

Again, what's wrong with that? Would you rather see OU or Texas get stuck playing Boise St in the Fiesta while Bama gets Michigan St again in the Sugar?
Last edited by Van on Fri May 18, 2012 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

The point remains...who cares? Isn't it still a better bowl than what each league's second most attractive team might otherwise get stuck with? As consolation bowls go, wouldn't you rather see Bama vs Texas than Bama vs Michigan St, with Texas stuck playing someone like Boise St?

What I'm wondering is how this will play out vis a vis the Sugar Bowl. They always get the SEC's champion unless that team is going to the title game, in which case they always tab the second most attractive SEC team. So, okay, which game will get first dibs on the SEC's #2 team, the Sugar or the SEC/Big XII Bowl? If two SEC teams should make the playoffs, then the Sugar is presumably out of the running. If only one should make the playoffs, this new set-up would seem to create a bowl game selection squabble over that #2 squad.

Perhaps it's already been established that the Sugar still has higher priority than this new bowl game, in which case we might often see the SEC #3 headed to Dallas.

(Edit: Reading the story again, no, it appears that the Sugar would be the odd bowl out. It clearly states that the Big XII/SEC Bowl will get each conference's champion unless one or both of those teams are in the playoffs, at which point they'll select the next most attractive teams.

In other words, Sugar Bowl matchups such as this most recent pairing of B1G #2 Michigan vs SEC #3 Arkansas will become the norm. Sucks for fans of the Sugar Bowl, I guess.)

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

I agree with both of you. From the marketing aspect it's kinda stupid cuz of what Jsc said. "Big 12 Champ vs SEC Champ!" Uhh, not necessarily.

But Van is right in that this bowl ensures what should be, at least on paper, a damn good match up. Plus, you've got the clash of styles. The Big 12 lights up scoreboards while the SEC prides itself on defense. You'd have some interesting match ups. I think a lot of people would have liked to see Okie State play LSU or Bama last year.

Stop hating on Michigan State, Van. MSU has gotten much better since getting jailsexed by Bama. The MSU-Georgia game last year was pretty damn good. But I do agree with your take.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

They've gotten better, sure, but they remain a long way off from being as attractive a bowl matchup as a Texas or OU for a top-shelf SEC team.

Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

This about seals it for FSU.

Dream Big 16
Pod 1: FSU, Miami, Clemson and GT
Pod 2: ND, WV, VT, and ISU
Pod 3: OU, OSU, KU, and KSU
Pod 4: Texas, Baylor, TCU, and TTech
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

It kills the BCS and the ACC with one bullet. The ACC might have avoided this if they wouldve added West Virginia instead of two basketball schools.

Big 10 is going to get 2 ACC teams or 1 ACC team and ND
SEC is going to get 2 ACC teams
Big 12 is going to get 6 ACC teams or 5 ACC teams and ND

Louisville might get an invite to the Big XII they have been begging since being left out of the ACC expansion

FSU is joining the Big XII by the end of July so they can play in the conference in 2013. I think the Big XII is only adding two teams at first and expanding more next year.

East: FSU, Clemson, WV, ISU, KSU, KU
West: Texas, OU, OkieSt, Baylor, TTech, TCU

Big 12 #2 or 3 versus SEC #2 or 3 in Jerryworld on Jan 1 along with the Semifinals playing on the same day....New Years Day is back

Could also form a Big XII vs SEC rivalry series on Thanksgiving week
FSU - gates
Clemson - SC
Texas - TAMU
Kansas - Mizzou
GT - Georgia......if GT gets an invite
Louisville - Kentucky....if Louisville gets an invite
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

It has zero to do with the playoff or BCS.

Big 12 and SEC just assured their best two teams that do not make the 4 team playoff will play on Jan 1.

The money will all be kept by the conferences. No bowl commissioners or bowl committee bullshit

Teams will not have to pay for tickets. You dont have to sell out your allotment or pay for band members

The bowl will go to the city who pays the most money. Will rotate based on highest bidder each year.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Mr T wrote:Big 10 is going to get 2 ACC teams or 1 ACC team and ND
I'll give you that the SEC could have any ACC squad it wants. But why the hell would an ACC school want to commit millions in travel dollars for all of their non revenue sports just to join the Big 12? I don't see where the football dollar differential between the ACC and the Big 12 is going to be THAT big to where Georgia Tech, Duke, Wake Forest, Tha U etc would want to spend that kind of money on all of their other sports.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

BSmack wrote:
I'll give you that the SEC could have any ACC squad it wants. But why the hell would an ACC school want to commit millions in travel dollars for all of their non revenue sports just to join the Big 12? I don't see where the football dollar differential between the ACC and the Big 12 is going to be THAT big to where Georgia Tech, Duke, Wake Forest, Tha U etc would want to spend that kind of money on all of their other sports.
Duke and Wake can suck a dick. This is about football not basketball bullshit

The U and FSU have to fly everywhere anyway. FSU only buses to GT but we rarely get to play them because the ACC fucked us.

FSU divisional opponents are in Boston, New York and Maryland
Miami divisional opponents are in Pittsburgh and two Virginia schools

Also the Big XII pays for travel involving Big XII contests, the ACC doesnt.

Ps. If they can make 10 million more a year, they would be stupid to stay in the dumpster fire Tobacco Road and Swofford created
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Mr T wrote:This about seals it for FSU.

Dream Big 16
Pod 1: FSU, Miami, Clemson and GT
Pod 2: ND, WV, VT, and ISU
Pod 3: OU, OSU, KU, and KSU
Pod 4: Texas, Baylor, TCU, and TTech
A better alignment (IF we have to join a conference) . . .

East: Clemson, Florida State, Iowa State, Louisville, Miami, ND, Pitt, West Virginia
West: Baylor, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, TCU, Texas Tech

Fwiw, Va Tech winds up in a 16-team Meatgrinder, along with NC State.

ND gets a mandatory annual crossover game vs. Texas, Florida State gets a mandatory annual crossover game vs. Oklahoma.

Not wild about having Iowa State remain onboard, but what can you do?
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

BSmack wrote:
Ummmm, Florida State is actually closer to most of the Big 12 schools in travel than it is most of the new look ACC or the travel is very negligible. Texas, Texas Tech, Baylor, TCU, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma State are all closer than all the teams North of the Carolinas with the exception of UVa and most of those teams south of the Carolinas are those the Big 12 is being speculated to be poaching. If even one of a combination of Ga. Tech, Clemson, Miami come along with FSU then the BIg 12 actually has better travel arrangements than the ACC from Tallahassee.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Mr T wrote:It kills the BCS and the ACC with one bullet.
For my money, the BCS is already dead, between the impending playoff and the abolition of AQ status. I'll address the ACC below.
The ACC might have avoided this if they wouldve added West Virginia instead of two basketball schools.
Maybe you know something I don't, but I don't recall a lot of complaining about Pitt and Syracuse joining the ACC at the time (except from message boards). I think the real impetus for Florid State to leave has come from the recent TV deal for the ACC, combined with the ACC's failure to develop into a football conference that rivals the SEC.
Big 10 is going to get 2 ACC teams or 1 ACC team and ND
Partially agree, partially disagree.

For starters, the B1G is at 12 teams now. I think they either add four or maintain status quo, although I suppose there's a possibility they add two and stop if ND maintains independence.

Agree with you completely on the SEC. Remember, Slive has expressed a reluctance to be the first to raid another conference. But once the Big XII draws blood, I think the SEC's kid gloves come off. I suppose another reason for the SEC's reluctance, thus far, to raid the ACC has been the potential PR fallout from passing on Florida State for, say, North Carolina State, a move which could be dictated by the voting bloc Florida apparently has in place within the SEC viz. expansion.

I think the order of the raid will be: Big XII adds two (Clemson and Florida State). The SEC then adds two. The Big XII then rounds out to 16. Then the B1G gets into the act, if at all.

If ND goes to the Big XII, there's a possibility that the B1G stands pat. If ND rejects overtures from both the Big XII and the B1G, then the B1G either stands pat or adds two.

In addition to ACC schools, I think Louisville (Big XII) and Rutgers (B1G) may figure into this realignment. UConn is also a possibility, albeit far less likely than either of the other two.

When the dust clears, I think what remains of the ACC is talking merger with the Big East, and may not even have the upper hand in those negotiations. It's somewhat ironic that the remaining ACC members probably will have to accept 1-3 hybrid members from the Big East just to maintain an automatic bid in the NCAA basketball tournament. It's also ironic that the ACC is the conference which finds itself in this position, given that it was the ACC that started this latest round of musical chairs.
Louisville might get an invite to the Big XII they have been begging since being left out of the ACC expansion

FSU is joining the Big XII by the end of July so they can play in the conference in 2013. I think the Big XII is only adding two teams at first and expanding more next year.

East: FSU, Clemson, WV, ISU, KSU, KU
West: Texas, OU, OkieSt, Baylor, TTech, TCU
Agree with all of this.

Big 12 #2 or 3 versus SEC #2 or 3 in Jerryworld on Jan 1 along with the Semifinals playing on the same day....New Years Day is back
Could also form a Big XII vs SEC rivalry series on Thanksgiving week
FSU - gates
Clemson - SC
Texas - TAMU
Kansas - Mizzou
GT - Georgia......if GT gets an invite
Louisville - Kentucky....if Louisville gets an invite
Interesting, although I don't think Georgia Tech will get an invite. Louisville is more likely, imho.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:
Interesting, although I don't think Georgia Tech will get an invite. Louisville is more likely, imho.
Lville to the Big 12 is dead as dead can be. Boren at OU was pushing this and almost every other President in the conference told him to let it go because they were all opposed.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Snake
Elwood

Post by Snake »

Mr T wrote:
BSmack wrote:
Duke and Wake can suck a dick. This is about football not basketball bullshit

The U and FSU have to fly everywhere anyway. FSU only buses to GT but we rarely get to play them because the ACC fucked us.

FSU divisional opponents are in Boston, New York and Maryland
Miami divisional opponents are in Pittsburgh and two Virginia schools

Also the Big XII pays for travel involving Big XII contests, the ACC doesnt.

Ps. If they can make 10 million more a year, they would be stupid to stay in the dumpster fire Tobacco Road and Swofford created

FSU has lived on D2 competion/the acc for years. Why would they want too leave?
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Papa Willie wrote:Everybody knows that college kids just never seem to travel somewhat long distances all that well.
Spoken like a true SEC fan.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

You can stop all this talk about Big XII expansion now. Texas doesn't want to do it.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootbal ... y/19124774

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Papa Willie wrote:I seriously think that Clemson & FSU thought the SEC (and hold the phone, because this could STILL happen - regardless of what we're reading) would jump to get them if they acted like they wanted to go to the Big12.
I think both Clemson and FSU would rather be in the SEC than in either the ACC or the Big XII. The problem with that is that there apparently is a voting bloc involving Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and Kentucky that will vote against expansion adding another school in any of their states. I'm not sure if the addition of aTm and Missouri was enough to overcome such a voting bloc, perhaps someone more familiar with SEC bylaws can answer that question.
One of the last things I've heard with the SEC, is that they're going for VaTech (a good addition), but are ALSO looking at (not gonna believe this) North Carolina & North Carolina State! I was pretty shocked at that, but it might go sort of along with the SEC getting Mizzou & A&M - something to boost the basketball situation.
I think it goes beyond that. From what I've heard, there's a connection on some level between the SEC and the old Confederacy. Adding aTm gave the conference representation in one of the States of the old Confederacy that it previously did not have. Missouri, like Kentucky, was a border state that never formally joined the Confederacy, but many of the state's residents were Confederate sympathizers. At this point, Virginia and North Carolina are the only remaining states of the old confederacy with no representation in the SEC, so that may explain why those schools are targets.

That said, adding Va Tech, UNC and NC State would give the SEC 17 members. Not sure how they'll pull that one off.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Sudden Sam wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote: I think it goes beyond that. From what I've heard, there's a connection on some level between the SEC and the old Confederacy. Adding aTm gave the conference representation in one of the States of the old Confederacy that it previously did not have. Missouri, like Kentucky, was a border state that never formally joined the Confederacy, but many of the state's residents were Confederate sympathizers. At this point, Virginia and North Carolina are the only remaining states of the old confederacy with no representation in the SEC, so that may explain why those schools are targets.
WTF?!?!

Terry, my man, are you smoking that shit again?!
I read that somewhere. In any event, it explains the (general) reluctance among SEC members to play OOC games against teams outside the SEC's footprint.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Sudden Sam wrote:Are you serious? If that was the case, all SEC teams would wear gray unis. :grin:

SEC teams love smacking teams from other conferences around. Can't get enough of it.

They're just not comfortable with them new-fangled airplanes.
Oh, they play plenty of OOC games, all right.

The Sun Belt Conference, C-USA and southern 1-AA teams have no dearth of takers for a body bag game. Maybe even a southern school from the ACC or Big East, if they want a "tough" OOC matchup.

But like you said, airplanes scare the beejezus out of them. As does leaving the South.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

for me, while this clearly a kind of #2non-playoff bowl....living here in newly minted everything is Pac rosy country Boulder, Colorado.....all the CU fans have been telling me the Big XII is dead and OU is Texas' bitch etc....for a year or so.

on and on. TV revenue, Larry Scott's huge balls, blah blah....they seem to forget that when games are played...someone has to lose. making money or not, every conference or pod is gonna have bottom feeders. unless Larry Scott has invented a way for both teams to win. I digress....

i don't like the new version (gimme the Big 8 and none of this pop density TV market crap) but someone seems to think the Big XII whatever is still pretty viable if the almighty ESPN/SEC is willing to pardner up with em.

and, fuck, as an OU fan and a Vandy man...i KNOW Vanderbilly could win the Big XII most years.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"