Beer Butt Chicken

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Beer Butt Chicken

Post by indyfrisco »

I've been telling 88 about some beer butt chicken I made. He thought it sounded interesting. He'd never had it before. Here's my recipe.

Must have tools:

You can balance the chicken on a can or buy this for like $4. I prefer the stand.

Many people cook the chicken directly over the flame. I find that this overcooks the underside and sometimes burns it as the oil drips down into the flame. I take this grill wok and double-wrap it in heavy duty foil. This will catch all the drippings and keep the bird from catching fire and/or burning.

I'm a die hard charcoal and mesquite fan, but this is one thing that is better done on the gas grill. I use a cast iron smoker box like below (sorry 88, forgot to tell you about this piece) and some mesquite and hickory chips to give a little smoked flavor. If you do not have a smoke box, you can make a foil pouch and poke a hole in it. Works just as good.

So, here's my recipe. I actually have a couple woks and stands so I can do two at once but this recipe is for one.

1 chicken - get the biggest one you can find in the grocery store
Olive oil
Butt Rub http://www.buttrub.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (can make your own rub, but I love this stuff)
Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning http://www.tonychachere.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (you can get this at walmart)
S&P
3 Cloves garlic crushed but not minced
1 T L&P Worcestershire Sauce
1 Can Beer
1 Red Potato
Brent's BBQ Sauce

Open the beer and pour 1/3 of it over your wood chips in a bowl and let it soak for at least 30 minutes. Put the beer in the stand and add the garlic and worcestershire.

Take the chicken and wash it with water. Use paper towels to dry it. Place the cavity end over the beer can on the stand. Rub the outside of the chicken with olive oil. S&P and rub down with Butt Rub and Tony's. Take the potato and stuff it into the neck opening. This keeps the beer steam from escaping and it will keep the chicken very juicy and tender. You may need to cut the potato smaller to fit into the neck. Put the stand in the foil lined wok and prepare the grill. Drain the wood chips and put in the smoker box and put it in the grill as it preheats. Once the wood chips begin to smoke, the grill is ready for the chicken.

I have a 5 burner grill that has plenty of room on top. Be sure you have enough space to put the chicken in the grill without the lid touching the chicken. I turn on all 5 burners to get it hot and then turn them all down to low once ready to put the chicken on.

Once the grill is ready, put the chicken in the center of the grill. Let the chicken cook for about 50 minutes. Resist the urge to check it often as you will just slow the cooking process. After 50 minutes, take a brush and liberally baste the chicken with Brent's BBQ Sauce. Get a damned good coating on it. Close the grill and let it cook for 10 more minutes and then baste the chicken again. Wait 10 more minutes and do 1 more time. 10 more minutes and it is done. Total of 1 hour and 20 minutes.

Take the chicken off the grill and let it set for 10 minutes before carving. I have a pair of chemical gloves I bought at home depot to hold it while I carve so as not to burn my fingers kinda like this.

Carve and enjoy. I will make this a PET once I cook my next chicken which will probably be Sunday. Here's a pic I googled to give an idea of what one looks like.

Notice this pic I googled, they did what I do by placing the chicken in a foil lined pan. That's a must in my book.

Other things I have done before if you want something other than BBQ chicken is to take a lemon and squeeze the juice out. Pour the juice in the beer can instead of worcesteshire and still use garlic. Take the lemon rinds and stuff into the cavity before you place it on the stand along with some rosemary. Use olive oil, S&P, and rosemary as the rub. Then use any kind of fruit wood instead of mesquite or hickory. I have cherry wood and it works great, but apple, peach, etc. work fine as well. Then just cook for 80 minutes.

Enjoy!
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: Beer Butt Chicken

Post by Mikey »

I can see how the rack would help...it's hard to get it to balance sometimes.

I used to make beer butt chicken occasionally, but haven't bothered since I got a rotisserie for the Weber.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Mikey wrote:I used to make beer butt chicken occasionally, but haven't bothered since I got a rotisserie for the Weber.
I got the rotisserie for my grill as well. use it a lot on pork loin. Hard to keep the beer in the can on the rotisserie though. ;)
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

:shock:

:shock:
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

88 wrote:I am so all over this fucking recipe. I will upload a complete novice's PET in a few days.
Make sure you don't use Mexican beer cans. They still use lead in the paint.

You could end up like IndyFrisco if you're not careful.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Mikey wrote:You could end up like IndyFrisco if you're not careful.
[softball]I'm not ashamed to say I don't get it.[/softball]

I think you smacked me. Esplain. That way I can smack you back.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

I never bought into the 'beer can up the butt of the chicken' method. Not saying it ain't good, but simple, imo, is better than most anything. With that said, there are countless ways to roast a chicken, each of which a chef will throw down with you over. Anyways, simple is better, imo-

Wash the bird out. Truss it. Jam a half lemon, half an onion, rosemary, and some thyme in the cavity.
Smear about 1tbs of herb butter under the skin on each breast. Rub the outside of the chicken with regular butter.
Place giblets, other half of onion, and other half of onion into roasting pan. Place bird on top. Pour about 1/2- 3/4 cup of white wine into pan.

Roast for 30 mins (350 or so), basting every once in a while. After 30 mins, increase temp to 450 and roast for another 20-30 mins.

Remove chicken from pan, pour another 1/2-3/4 cup white wine into pan. Scrape the good shit from the bottom of the pan. Bring to boil and reduce by half. Remove giblets, onion, and lemon. Stir in another tbsp of butter. Season w/salt and pepper.

Serve alongside chicken.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

IndyFrisco wrote:
Mikey wrote:You could end up like IndyFrisco if you're not careful.
[softball]I'm not ashamed to say I don't get it.[/softball]

I think you smacked me. Esplain. That way I can smack you back.
Sorry. Didn't think the lead paint reference was all that obscure.

Try googling children lead paint and see what you come up with.

(That sure looks like a Tecate can in your picture)
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Mikey wrote:(That sure looks like a Tecate can in your picture)
Yes, that's a Tecate, but not a picture I took. It was a picture I googled just to show other people use the method of putting in on a pan to cook like I do too.

Ken,

Simply put, your method and recipe to roast, while good and similar to one I've done many times as well, is no more simple than the beer butt recipe I posted. Same amount of prep, if not more, in that one than the beer butt.
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Post by Headhunter »

I find that Brining and BBQ'ing a chicken has better results, but does take some forethought.
Dinsdale wrote:This board makes me feel like Stephen-Hawking-For-The-Day, except my penis is functional and I can walk and stuff.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

There's more than one way to skin a cat...or Q a bird. I just gave one of my methods. Actually two.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

Damn, that looks awesome, r-jack. Good caremalization (sp?) too. Excellent.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Bumped to get it back with the PET.