Need Low-carb Baking Help

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Need Low-carb Baking Help

Post by Smackie Chan »

I'm 6' tall & had gotten up to about 230 lbs. Doesn't sound like I was in the Bloatspray/KC Paul league, but I have these really spindly legs and just about no ass, so most of my weight was in my gut. I decided to try to drop some tonnage for the first time in my life. Got back into the gym, and initially started on the flat belly diet, which limits one to 1600 calories/day. It worked pretty well except I was always hungry and figured I couldn't stay on it long-term. So I decided to try Atkins. Been on it for about 2 wks, with so-so results. The Atkins plan is essentially eating a bunch of protein and fat, but just about no carbs (20 grams/day during initial phase, which is, like, nothing). I'm down to between 205 & 210 now, and am trying to get to 175-180.

I've tried a few low-carb bread recipes, and the resulting products taste slightly better than ass. Tried some low-carb biscuits this morning using Atkins bake mix, and again, ass. Anybody have any experience with low-carb baking, and have you been able to come up with anything that's reasonably palatable?
"I see everything twice!"
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: Need Low-carb Baking Help

Post by Mikey »

Went on Atkins a few years ago and dropped 25 or 30 lb in a few months. I think you'll find that low carb "baking" is an oxymoron. Just get used to the idea that you won't be consuming any bread, bicuits, muffins, cookies, crackers, pasta, cereal, rice, potatoes, milk, beer...or fruit...while you're on this diet. That pretty much explains why I couldn't sustain it and am now back at my previous weight.

Maybe you have more intestinal fortitude than I do. Good luck.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Funny you should bring up this topic, Smackie...

I started the Page Cycle about mid-February. Since then, I've dropped a pant-size and 18 pounds on my way back to my fighting weight of 180. "Page" is a cross between Atkins and Common Sense. I strongly recommend you take a look at his book. It works.

Mike is big on you starting your day with protein, and eating four-or-five times a day. I had never used a dietary supplement before, and was used to eating once or twice a day before I got started on his program. I start each day with a low calorie, high protein whey smoovie that revs the engine and helps keep me full most of the day. I still haven't mastered eating five meals a day, but everything else seems to be working

A few other highlights: Yes, carbs are allowed (eventually), as well as something called eating days, when anything goes. I pulled the trigger on a binge day a few weeks back and wound up with a net drop in weight for the week.

Not gonna lie: I miss pizza and brats (unlike Atkins, Mike discourages unecessarily fatty proteins), but I don't miss my 34's or having them cut into my gut. He also strongly recommends giving beer a pass, but I'd have a better chance of giving up air.

Of course the hook here is that Mike is hawking a protein/diet supplement called VEMMA Bode. You don't need it. Any whey protein product will work nicely with his program. And at almost $4 a can twice-a-day, you can do better down at the GNC....
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

I'm gonna stick with Atkins for a while longer and try to combine it with smaller portions and more frequent meals. I'll work in a few more carbs gradually, have the weekly cheat day (which is recommended for low-carb diets), and try to get down to my target weight. After that, I may try a less restrictive regimen to maintain my weight, and stay with my exercise program. Doing some lifting (but no steaming), and some treadmill work. Upper body's looking closer to where I want it to be, have lost a pant size or two, but still have some gut work left. Burned > 860 cals on the treadmill today along with the weights. And I take a fistful of supplements a couple times a day.

Getting fat is much more fun than getting thin.
missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

Post by missjo »

Smackie I have a few friends who follow a Paleo "caveman" Diet here's a couple of their low carb baked goods recipes

Pumpkin Cardamom Cake (Low Carb, Gluten Free)
This is technically a bread, but it's so good that I called it cake.

Preheat oven to 325F and grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan
3 cups almond flour
2/3 cup vanilla whey protein powder
2/3 cup xylitol *** see note below
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp guar gum
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup pumpkin puree (uses up most of a soup can size of pumpkin) (NOT pie filling!!!)
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
4 large eggs
6 tbsp almond or coconut milk (or heavy cream)
In a medium bowl, whisk together the almond flour, protein powder, xyliitol, baking powder, baking soda, cardamom, guar gum and salt. In a large bowl, beat pumpkin and coconut oil until smooth. Beat in eggs and almond milk until combined.

Add almond flour mixture to pumpkin and stir until batter is just combined. Spread in prepared pan. Bake for 45minutes, then check. The middle shouldn't push in anymore, and a tester inserted in the center comes out clean.

Let cool in pan for 20 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

*** Xylitol is found at London Drugs or some health food stores, sugar alcohol made from trees. TOXIC FOR DOGS!

Salmon Cakes (paleo)
3 cans boneless skinless salmon (I found it really cheap at Walmart, wild pacific red salmon)

3 eggs

3 diced green onions

Handful of chopped cilantro

Red pepper flakes to taste

1 tsp ground cumin

Juice of half a lime

1 tbsp coconut flour

Salt and pepper to taste

Optional: a couple tablespoons of chicken broth

Mix together all the ingredients, add in the coconut flour at the end, and wait for the mixture to 'come together'. At this point, I added a few splashes of chicken broth, because I was worried it might be a little dry. Not sure if that was necessary or not.

Heat a skillet with oil covering bottom over medium heat, make sure your oil gets hot but not smoking (I used grapeseed oil, but you could use olive oil or coconut oil) then make patties that are approximately 1/4" thick and about 3 inches across. Cook for 3 minutes before turning! Resist the urge to flip to soon! You'll see brown edges. Cook other side, and serve with sriacha sauce.

Fruit & Nut bars

Ingredients
1 Cup Slivered Almonds
1 Cup Pecans
1/2 Cup Almond Flour (you can use any nut flour you like)
1/2 Cup Almond Butter
1/2 Cup Coconut Oil
1/4 Cup Agave Nectar
2 tsp Vanilla
1/2 tsp Salt
1 Cup of Dried Fruit, chopped into small pieces
1/4 to 1/2 Cup of Shredded Coconut (optional)
Cooking Steps
Step 1: Toast the nuts. (Optional)

Place the slivered almonds and pecans on a cookie sheet and toast in a 350 degree oven for a few minutes until they’re golden brown. Stir them occasionally. Keep an eye on them as they can quickly burn.

Step 2: Toss the nuts into the food processor until they are coarse.

Again, this is something you can alter to your own preferences. Sometimes I have left a lot bigger chunks for added crunch.

Step 3: In a medium bowl, mix the nuts and the almond flour together.

Step 4: In a microwaveable bowl, warm the coconut oil and the almond butter for about 20 seconds in the microwave until liquid-y. Stir together well.

Step 5: Stir the agave nectar, vanilla and salt into the liquid mixture. (You can use light or dark agave nectar.)

Step 6: Add the liquid mixture to your dry mix. Combine well.

Step 7: Add your fruit to the mix. You can add the coconut in at this time if you chose to use it. Or you could use the coconut to coat the top of the bars.

Step 8: Lay parchment paper down in an 8×8 inch baking pan. Pat the mixture into the prepared pan with your fingers, making sure it is all good and snug in there.

Step 9: Leave in the refrigerator or freezer for at least 1 hour. Cut into pieces and serve.

Low Carb Scones (gluten free, sugar free)

Two variations, one sweet, one savoury. They both freeze very well. For those days you're craving a sandwich, you can slice these in half and use as a bun. You paleo people get what I mean.

You can purchase coconut flour, guar gum and xylitol (sweetener that's found in trees) at Bulk Barn

For both recipes, Preheat oven to 400F

Garlic Cheese Scones

1/3 cup melted butter

6 eggs

2 tbsp Splenda

1 1/2 tsp garlic powder

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup coconut flour

2 tsp guar gum

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, cut into 1/4" cubes (optional, but tasty)

Blend together eggs, butter, salt, Splenda, and garlic powder. Then sift in the coconut flour, baking powder, and guar together. Mix well, and the mixture will thicken up. Mix in the cubed cheese.

Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper, and then make 6 scone-shaped mounds on it (they don't spread). Bake for approximately 15 minutes, or until they're not mushy in the middle anymore. Cool on a rack.

Blueberry Scones

1/3 cup melted butter

6 eggs

2 tbsp Splenda

3 tbsp Xylitol (if you don't have it, you can just substitute Splenda)

1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup coconut flour

2 tsp guar gum

1/2 tsp baking powder

Approx 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)

Make just like the ones above, except you're adding the blueberries at the end, not cheese, silly! If you're using frozen blueberries, they take a little longer to bake, more like 20+ minutes.

Hope this helps
You just can't fix stupid...trust me I've tried
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Thanks, jo! I'll give 'em shot.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I'm still stuck at about where you were, 230, 6 ft. But, I have pretty good legs and upper body, so maybe i'm a little better off than you were.

as for atkins and other stupid diets, stay the fukk away from them. eat a good balanced diet, try to stayaway from shit and do enough exercise to get you where you want to be. i highly recommend cycling. more specifically cycle commuting if it is at all feasible.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.