Sweet 16 Thread

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Re: Sweet 16 Thread

Post by Goober McTuber »

Sorry, Truman, but a team that finishes third in the country then immediately gets bounced by a 15-seed has definitely underachieved in my book. But you go right on polishing that turd.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Did Wisky finish the season ranked in the top three in the country?
Did the Badgers win their conference tournament?
Did Wisconsin even win 30 games?

If you answered "no" to any of these, it sounds to me like they underachieved this season.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Goober McTuber wrote:Sorry, Truman, but a team that finishes third in the country then immediately gets bounced by a 15-seed has definitely underachieved in my book. But you go right on polishing that turd.

really torn on this one. norfolk st, by the numbers, had a bananas amazing offensive game. overachieving all over the place. Mizzou's defense was not super, by design considering the shallow bench, but it was never so bad as to allow such aberrations. Norfolk st had the game of their program's life. combined with injuries leads to frustration but acceptance.
why is my neighborhood on fire
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Bizzarofelice wrote:leads to frustration but acceptance.
you got the frustration part right.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Truman wrote:Did Wisky finish the season ranked in the top three in the country?

If you answered "no" to any of these, it sounds to me like they underachieved this season.
Well then, you're a fucking idiot. Probably that "frustration" speaking.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Goober McTuber wrote:
Truman wrote:Did Wisky finish the season ranked in the top three in the country?

Well then, you're a fucking idiot.
Interesting observation, Goobs, given your general ignorance of grilling and proclivity for ruining perfectly good steaks. And here I thought only bradhusker and LTS TRN2 were capable of such irony...

BTW, I'll take your non sequitur response as a "no" to my questions. Thanks for playing, Goobs.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Truman, I don't believe you understand the meaning of the word "underachieve".

underachieve - perform less well or with less success than expected

Thanks for playing? Whatever.

Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Then you believe incorrectly.

Let's review:

A school record 30-win season...
Ranked #3 in the country in the final regular-season polls...
A brand new conference tournament championship banner to hang in the rafters of Mizzou Arena.

All of which were completely unexpected at the beginning of the season.

Some might even categorize such accomplishments as a helluva achievement.

'Course, there will always be those asshats who determine a team's success solely upon its performance in a post season tournament...
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Mizzou over-achieved in the regular season and under-achieved in the post-season. It shouldn't take two pages of purse swinging to come to this conclusion.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Well, any thinking person might draw that conclusion, Mgo, but I thought I’d give our Notorious Last Word Whore something to do between Jeopardy reruns, working as a door-greeter over at the local Menard's, and angling for position down at the Culver’s all-you-can-eat-walleye senior citizens buffet.

My pops was always funny that way raising me to look after old people...
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Mizzou over-achieved in the regular season and under-achieved in the post-season.

you are very wrong. I watched all of their games on TV. I know this, and I know you trust me. so trust me here.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Mizzou over-achieved in the regular season and under-achieved in the post-season.
That seems a reasonable conclusion. And their big brother just eliminated the last Big 10 team. Fuck.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Bizzarofelice wrote:

you are very wrong. I watched all of their games on TV. I know this, and I know you trust me. so trust me here.
Gotta find a way to beat a 15, brah. Even if that means playing defense.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Bizzarofelice wrote:

Gotta find a way to beat a 15, brah.
that's one game. happened to be in the tournament. lots of other teams that got into the sweet 16 and elite 8 lost to teams worse than norfolk st. you're going to judge the entire season on one game.

you can say they vastly underachieved in the tourney in comparison to their regular season.
you can say they overachieved in the regular season in comparison to where all the prognosticators had them picked during the preseason.
but you can't say both.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

given where i thought MU was with Anderson leaving, getting publicly dissed by Matt Painter, and hiring Frank Haith....i think the Tiggers had a pretty good year. they beat Kansas, job one. nearly had them twice. won the conference tournament. beat a good Baylor team.

no one likes getting bounced early with a top seed....but, that just happens sometimes. that's the tournament.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Bizzarofelice wrote:you can say they vastly underachieved in the tourney in comparison to their regular season.
you can say they overachieved in the regular season in comparison to where all the prognosticators had them picked during the preseason.
but you can't say both.
Actually, yes, you can. That's exactly what you can and should say.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev