Someone at Forbes needs to be fired

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Someone at Forbes needs to be fired

Post by Dinsdale »

Longview, Washington, is one of the prettiest towns in America.

That’s what Forbes magazine said, ranking it 11th in a recent list of attractive communities.

The town's history and old-time lumber mill feeling are cited as some of its better qualities.

Forbes also noted that sprawling Lake Sacajawea Park, in the center of the city, is one of the most beautiful parks in the country.

According to the city’s website, “Longview was dedicated in July, 1923. In February of 1924, it was incorporated and a municipal government was established. Its history began in the roaring ´20s and today Longview continues to grow in size and diversity. It is a fresh, new, healthy town with a promising future and an already rich past.”

Longview?

They didn't take a very long view. Place is a shithole among shitholes. Absolute scary levels of meth use, homeless tweekers pushing shopping carts full of scrap metal around, anything that isn't nailed down is stolen, and the teeth-per-capita average is expressed in scientific notation.

It's right on the Columbia -- a riverfront that's covered with some really ugly shipping ports (it's right where the Columbia turns west again, about 50 miles north of Portland). It's been home to recent violence between unions and scabs.

I suppose Rainier, Oregon has it worse -- they have to look across the river at that piece of shit town.

Of all the cool cities in the U&L, if I was naming off "prettiest," Longview wouldn't even enter the discussion. Nice work, Forbes.
Last edited by Dinsdale on Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Re: Someone at Forbes needs to be fired

Post by Derron »

Longview?

They didn't take a very long view. Place is a shithole among shitholes. Absolute scary levels of meth use, homeless tweekers pushing shopping carts full of scrap metal around, anything that isn't nailed down is stolen, and the teeth-per-capita average is expressed in scientific notation.

It's right on the Columbia -- a riverfront that's covered with some really ugly shipping ports (it's right where the Columbia turns west again, about 50 miles north of Portland). It's been home to recent violence between unions and scabs.

I suppose Rainier, Oregon has it worse -- they have to look across the river at that piece of shit town.

Of all the cool cities in the U&L, if I was naming off "prettiest," Longview wouldn't even enter the discussion. Nice work, Forbes.
And the usual domestic violence and murders. And right across the river is where some tweaked out mental case shot the police chief to death last year. The stench of those paper mills always adds to the flavor as well.

I got through those shit holes a couple of times a year when I go to Seattle..cuts some major time off my route.
Last edited by Derron on Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

....and old-time lumber mill feeling are cited as some of its better qualities.
You don't have to be from the U&L to know that this translates to godforesaken shit hole. I have rolled through "old-time lumber mill" towns in the U&R and D&R. They all make NJ smell like a rose garden and are populated by the "people" that work in said mills. I will have to admit that such places smell slightly better than old-time beef processing mills.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Longview?

They didn't take a very long view. Place is a shithole among shitholes.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

It's definitely not a good place for guys.

Sincerely,
Cowlitz County DA
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Diego in Seattle wrote:It's definitely not a good place for guys.

Sincerely,
Cowlitz County DA

Saw that story.

My question was, that since he didn't do it, what possible evidence could they have had other than the testimony of a minor?

Without corroboration, there should have been no conviction. Since the jury members are immune, the prosecutor should be held accountable.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

smackaholic wrote:I have rolled through "old-time lumber mill" towns in the U&R and D&R. They all make NJ smell like a rose garden and are populated by the "people" that work in said mills. I will have to admit that such places smell slightly better than old-time beef processing mills.
Note I said paper mills, not lumber mills. Lumber mill towns or areas have a smell of freshly processed lumber. We call that the smell of money. Nothing like 30 or 40 years ago though.

What really sucks is the huge decks of logs waiting loading on to bulk carriers to be taken over seas and processed. Fuckers should be shot for exporting raw timber. They can buy processed lumber.
Last edited by Derron on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Derron
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Derron wrote:What really sucks is the huge decks of logs waiting loading on to bulk carriers to be taken over seas and processed. Fuckers should be shot for exporting raw timber. They can buy processed lumber.

Couldn't agree more.

Last time I was there (been a few years, than goodness), there were literally miles of rafts waiting to go out of Aberdeen (which makes Longview seem like paradise).

Needs to stop... tomorrow.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Dinsdale wrote:Longview?

They didn't take a very long view.

88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Dinsdale wrote:
Derron wrote:What really sucks is the huge decks of logs waiting loading on to bulk carriers to be taken over seas and processed. Fuckers should be shot for exporting raw timber. They can buy processed lumber.

Couldn't agree more.

Last time I was there (been a few years, than goodness), there were literally miles of rafts waiting to go out of Aberdeen (which makes Longview seem like paradise).

Same thing down at North Bend too..the price differential has to be huge to carry a bulk load of raw materials across the ocean. Lumber mills are not exactly innocent here either.
Derron
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Derron wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:

Couldn't agree more.

Same thing down at North Bend too..the price differential has to be huge to carry a bulk load of raw materials across the ocean. Lumber mills are not exactly innocent here either.
You would think, that would be the case, but, unfortunately, transoceanic shipping is awfully efficient these days. We have store shelves full of junk and shuttered factories to prove it.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Derron wrote:
smackaholic wrote:I have rolled through "old-time lumber mill" towns in the U&R and D&R. They all make NJ smell like a rose garden and are populated by the "people" that work in said mills. I will have to admit that such places smell slightly better than old-time beef processing mills.
Note I said paper mills, not lumber mills. Lumber mill towns or areas have a smell of freshly processed lumber. We call that the smell of money. Nothing like 30 or 40 years ago though.

What really sucks is the huge decks of logs waiting loading on to bulk carriers to be taken over seas and processed. Fuckers should be shot for exporting raw timber. They can buy processed lumber.
Yeah, I guess you are right. It is paper mills that reek. Particularly the ones along the Atlantic coast around Georgia. One of the nastiest smells I have ever encountered.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

And there's still one left across the river from the Portland area, although they usually keep the smell down.

Back when this was the world's epicenter of lumber and paper (still is, I guess, but not like the old days), I was just about immune to that nasty smell when I was growing up.

I don't miss the smell -- I just miss living in a place that had jobs.
Trampis
Eternal Scobode

Post by Trampis »

It rains too god damn much over there. This was first noted by civilized types some time around 1806
Bad spelling is a diversionary tactic
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

It's not really weather...it's actually a litmus test.
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Sincerely,
Cowlitz County DA
It isn't a good place for anyone if the DA gets to take a pass on an admitted confession.

Got to love that Lib mindset that Zimmerman should be arrested regardless, while an admitted liar that sent a man to prison for 9 years wont be charged because it might discourage others from coming forward. WHAT? Who wants others that are lying to doctors, police, DA, and judges to come forward.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Left Seater wrote:

Sincerely,
Cowlitz County DA
It isn't a good place for anyone if the DA gets to take a pass on an admitted confession.

Got to love that Lib mindset that Zimmerman should be arrested regardless, while an admitted liar that sent a man to prison for 9 years wont be charged because it might discourage others from coming forward. WHAT? Who wants others that are lying to doctors, police, DA, and judges to come forward.
From my friend who is a child abuse detective.....99.5% of the cases never go to trial. They usually plead guilty. Don't know what this guy plead, but I am thinking he has a case against the state.

So no action against the liar, and the DA gets a pass ? Great.
Derron