NCAA tournament games thread

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Re: NCAA tournament games thread

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

'MuchoBulls wrote:Real tough way to end the season last night, but no one expected us to make the Tournament before the season started. Good recruting class coming in next season, so hopefully we can build on this momentum.
That's pretty much how I feel about ND's season. It looked like it would be a long season after Abromaitis went down with a torn ACL in the second game, and this looked like a NIT team until the win over Syracuse. Still, it always hurts a little more to lose to a lower-seeded team, especially one that was kinda on the bubble until the very end. My major concern with the program is that Brey now has had 12 seasons at ND, he has a proven track record of underachieving at the NCAA tourney, and we need to turn that around in order to take the next step as a program.

Still, next year looks pretty promising, with ND's best recruiting class in a long while coming in, even with question marks surrounding further eligibility for Abromaitis and Martin, as well as Katenda's health. And it was nice to beat a #1 team for the first time in 25 years.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

M Club wrote: michigan, i don't know. i want to be optimistic about next year considering the size, athleticism, and actual talent coming in (not to mention never again having to throw smotrycz in at the 5), but i just can't shake the feeling burke's going to go through the whole "just getting an evaluation - declared for the draft but didn't hire and agent - fuck it i'm gone" thing.
whoops, a little too correct on the smotrycz thing there, and it looks like my ominous feelings about burke are starting to take shape now that homeboy's soliciting an opinion for the nba draft advisory council. backup pg just transferred so if burke's out we're in a world of...standard michigan basketball. just another year or two of "momentum," i suppose. again.

beilein's fast trying to shore up pg options, which means this guy's on our radar:

choosing between us, arizona, gonzaga, and ohio state. i'm guessing we're going to land him because it's only too easy for someone who looks like that to play for a team everyone already hates anyhow.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:
King Crimson wrote:i'm no huge fan of Dougie G....but, i heard him publicly admit what he did was wrong. it was a mistake he made trying to fit in at a school where the other kids had money or something. i respected him for that to a degree.
I believe that people deserve second chances, and I respect him, to a degree, for making the best of his that he could.

That having been said, not everyone at ND was a rich kid, and not everyone who wasn't a rich kid felt the need to steal so they could fit in. I'm proof of that.
fair enough Terry. well said and an excellent point. i went to Vandy and was around a lot of rich kids. my dad was the first person in his fam to even go to college, so i felt a little out of place with the Thurston Howell's of the Southern high culture and prep school kids from the hoity Boston suburbs. trying to put the moves on a society gal from Atlanta who actually had a cotillion and a relative who was a Rebel general was a tough play for a kid from Oklahoma.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

That having been said, not everyone at ND was a rich kid, and not everyone who wasn't a rich kid felt the need to steal so they could fit in. I'm proof of that.
Guess KC already hit on this, but still, I did this and I didn't do that so obviously everyone in similar situations should have made the exact same decisions I did. Bit of a latent right-winger in you, eh Terry?
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

M Club wrote:
Guess KC already hit on this, but still, I did this and I didn't do that so obviously everyone in similar situations should have made the exact same decisions I did. Bit of a latent right-winger in you, eh Terry?
No, the fact that I didn't grow up a rich kid, and saw what life was like for people who aren't in that situation, is the main reason why I'm not a right-winger.

And not every decision involves a patently right-or-wrong situation. This one, however, does. It's about respect for the law, as well as basic common courtesy. Oh, and there's also the fact that at ND, all dorms are segregated by sex, and most people live in the same dorm for all four years, and virtually everyone does for the first three years. So the other guys in your dorm become like your brothers.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

King Crimson wrote:trying to put the moves on a society gal from Atlanta who actually had a cotillion and a relative who was a Rebel general was a tough play for a kid from Oklahoma.
Probably almost as difficult as being a relatively poor kid from upstate NY who isn't a varsity athlete and who's facing a 3-to-1 numbers disadvantage. ;)
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Terry in Crapchester wrote: And not every decision involves a patently right-or-wrong situation. This one, however, does. It's about respect for the law, as well as basic common courtesy.
common right wing argument.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

M Club wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote: And not every decision involves a patently right-or-wrong situation. This one, however, does. It's about respect for the law, as well as basic common courtesy.
common right wing argument.
Of course, you left off the rest, which was . . .
Terry in Crapchester wrote:Oh, and there's also the fact that at ND, all dorms are segregated by sex, and most people live in the same dorm for all four years, and virtually everyone does for the first three years. So the other guys in your dorm become like your brothers.
Somehow I don't think the right-wingers would have recognized a unique argument like that. Even if they did recognize it, they wouldn't have considered it applicable to this situation.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

the rest i left out had no relevance to your gratuitous "look at me" bit, as if it's all the more damning for gottlieb that you weren't rich and you didn't fit in yet you didn't resort to stealing credit cards from your all boys homo dorm. normally would have filed it under WGARA but found it interesting how closely it resembled the old "i worked myself out of standard middle-class existence i tell people was actually systematic poverty, why can't everyone else?" argument we always here from the right.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

M Club wrote:the rest i left out had no relevance to your gratuitous "look at me" bit, as if it's all the more damning for gottlieb that you weren't rich and you didn't fit in yet you didn't resort to stealing credit cards from your all boys homo dorm. normally would have filed it under WGARA but found it interesting how closely it resembled the old "i worked myself out of standard middle-class existence i tell people was actually systematic poverty, why can't everyone else?" argument we always here from the right.
Except that working one's way up from middle-class existence has something to do with luck and various other factors, and precious little to do with ethics and morality. One doesn't always have the luck to accomplish upward mobility, but there's no reason someone can't acquire the necessary ethics and morality to keep from stealing credit cards and textbooks.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

King Crimson wrote:trying to put the moves on a society gal from Atlanta who actually had a cotillion and a relative who was a Rebel general was a tough play for a kid from Oklahoma.
Probably almost as difficult as being a relatively poor kid from upstate NY who isn't a varsity athlete and who's facing a 3-to-1 numbers disadvantage. ;)
Are you trying to justify your spousal choice?
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Terry in Crapchester wrote: ...but there's no reason someone can't acquire the necessary ethics and morality to keep from stealing credit cards and textbooks.
No fucking durrrrrrr. KC mentioned Gottlieb publicly owning up to what he did along with an explanation as to why and you felt compelled to say not everyone steals to fit in. Another no fucking durrrrrr for you, Capt. Obvious.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

M Club wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote: ...but there's no reason someone can't acquire the necessary ethics and morality to keep from stealing credit cards and textbooks.
No fucking durrrrrrr.
So we agree. Good.

With that in mind, why did you even bother to waste the bandwidth necessary to make a sarcastic comment on my post?
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

No more bandwidth than using every other post to pretend undergraduate studies 30 years ago counts as inside info.