Assorted pre-tourney thoughts

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

Shine
Leads all Lists

Assorted pre-tourney thoughts

Post by Shine »

Because I don't care what anyone says about the four games already played (which I did watch most of), the tournament hasn't started yet.

- It's by no means guaranteed to happen but I really hope that Michigan St and Missouri play each other. Outside of any IU games that is the one game I'm most looking forward to. I think Missouri is the better team and presents a horrid match-up problem for the Dawson-less Spartans, but Izzo over Haith is a gigantic coaching mismatch. The various ways I could see that game unfolding is off the charts.

- Not sure why the vast majority of people keep picking New Mexico St over my Hoosiers. I know the games were at Assembly Hall but we DID beat Kentucky, Michigan State and Ohio State this year. The MSU win was convincing and late in the year. For all the "away from home IU sucks" talk we did beat NCST at their place, pounded Purdue at their place and beat ND at a neutral site. Those are three tournament teams. Overall we were 7-7 away from home. By no means great but not as bad as the talking heads make it out to be. I guess given all that it's clear we have no shot against a 2nd place team from the WAC who beat a 5,6,7 seed in their conference tournament to get a bid, lost at home to Arizona from the powerhouse Pac-12 and got destroyed at home by New Mexico. (Not saying we can't lose as I do expect a tough game but I still don't see why the overwhelming consensus is against us)

- It seems like every year when I identify a couple teams I think could make some noise in the dance they end up playing each other in the first round. This year: New Mexico vs Long Beach State.

- I know UConn has been erratic this year but with Calhoun on the sidelines they're a much better team. GOD I hope they somehow beat Kentucky.

- Ever since Bob Knight ripped the NCAA for starting games so late, coincidence I'm sure, IU seems to get the late game every time. Last game in Portland this year.

- Missouri being tabbed 8th by the committee was surprising to say the least (I'd have had them no worse than 6th but probably 5th) but they got a great draw. Florida plays their style only they aren't as good. UVA would try to take the air out of the ball but I'm hard pressed to see that working for 40 minutes against these Tigers. In the 16 they'll get either a cinderella team (which they'd pound) or Murray St/Marquette, two teams who could be labeled Missouri-lite. Outside of UNC and UK I think Missouri is the easiest team to pick to the 8.

- I really didn't like Washington not getting a bid despite the Pac 12 being a dumpster fire this year. Sure they weren't winning it all but I still thought they should be in. Then I watched Cal get destroyed last night. Now I think the committee probably made the right call. I'm not worried about some "bad precedent" of power conference regular season champs not getting into the dance. Let's face it, the Pac 12 was historically bad this year. 99 times out of 100 the regular season champ of a power conference has a bid locked up, this was the one.

- GOD I hope Kentucky gets beat!

- While I've still enjoyed the tournament the past 3 years, it feels damn good to have my Hoosiers back in the mix.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Re: Assorted pre-tourney thoughts

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Shine wrote:- Not sure why the vast majority of people keep picking New Mexico St over my Hoosiers. I know the games were at Assembly Hall but we DID beat Kentucky, Michigan State and Ohio State this year. The MSU win was convincing and late in the year. For all the "away from home IU sucks" talk we did beat NCST at their place, pounded Purdue at their place and beat ND at a neutral site. Those are three tournament teams. Overall we were 7-7 away from home. By no means great but not as bad as the talking heads make it out to be. I guess given all that it's clear we have no shot against a 2nd place team from the WAC who beat a 5,6,7 seed in their conference tournament to get a bid, lost at home to Arizona from the powerhouse Pac-12 and got destroyed at home by New Mexico. (Not saying we can't lose as I do expect a tough game but I still don't see why the overwhelming consensus is against us)
One reason I took New Mexico State is the loss of Verdell Jones III. Losing a senior guard is a big deal, imo, especially when your backcourt isn't your biggest strength to begin with. People like to pick upsets. I wouldn't get offended if one involves your team. Hell, half the "experts" out there I've heard have Memphis beating Michigan State. As a fan, I enjoy that underdog role.

Another I reason I picked New Mexico State is because I was impressed with them two years ago when they took MSU to the wire in the first round. They were a young team then, now they've got some experience. I think their quickness and athleticism could cause IU some fits. We'll see...hey, I could be wrong, and probably will be. That's the risk in picking upsets.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

Not offended by any means, just not sure why IU became the consensus upset pick. There's one every year. And to your "embrace the underdog" point, that's something this IU team does very well. In many ways having "everyone" picking against them could be the best thing to happen to them. Again I do expect a tough game but we've played much tougher teams all season long with decent results.

The loss of Dawson for MSU will have a greater impact IMO than the loss of Jones for IU. Back court athleticism isn't exactly in abundance in East Lansing. Losing a senior does hurt, but it's not like he's got tournament experience!
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Fuck IU, that's why.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Shine wrote:Not offended by any means, just not sure why IU became the consensus upset pick.
I haven't really heard that too much, to be honest. Belmont, Ohio, Memphis and NC State seem to be the "cinderellas" everyone's in love with.
The loss of Dawson for MSU will have a greater impact IMO than the loss of Jones for IU. Back court athleticism isn't exactly in abundance in East Lansing. Losing a senior does hurt, but it's not like he's got tournament experience!
I thought the same thing before I saw MSU play in the Big Ten tourney. Replacing Dawson with another shooter on the floor has worked well so far, and even without his rebounding, they're still a much better rebounding team than most. Having Dawson vs a team like Mizzou though would be huge.