First Turkey Fry - VET

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: First Turkey Fry - VET

Post by Dinsdale »

Sounds yummy, but definitely a better outdoor-sport.

Me and mine start watching the temp closely after about 45 minutes. Found the key is to pull it out right about 167, since the interneal temp climbs a little after you take it out.

One of these days, I'll try the IF techique of smoking for a couplefew hours, then finishing it in the fryer.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

BTW -- My turkey frying experience comes from my friends who have turkey-frying parties.

And we always have a hose (faucet on, nozzle off) and a 'guish (fire extinguisher) within a few feet of the fryer... seems like good policy.

My buddy is a firefighter -- says if there's an exterior/deck fire this time of year (it's Wet Season), they don't investigate -- they already know what the cause is, before they even show up.

Underwriters Labs thinks we shouldn't be buying turkey fryers (my friend bought one just like the one in your vid for $19.99 a couplefew years ago). I say the UL should go fuck themselves.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

KC Scott wrote: I only bring that up beacuse one of the first things you pick up is...

The first thing you pick up in firefighter training is...

...another guy.

:shock:

(Of course, I'm talking about rescue/extraction procedure, Scott. Get your mind out of the gutter.)

P.S. ~ Scott, your food looks delicious. When are you going to invite me down to Casa Del Scottie for a nice home-cooked meal?

P.P.S. ~ For "safety" reasons, I would be staying at a motel. But you probably already figured that...

:|
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

I'm serious.
Why don’t you just STFU.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

I mean, about the motel...
Why don’t you just STFU.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

I want to try and fry but we are always going to someone else's house on Thanksgiving. The fam is staying local at Christmas and I was going to try and pass time doing a beer can turkey. About the only time I'd buy a can of Fosters.

How much of a bitch is the clean up on those fryers?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

KC Scott wrote:never use water on an oil / grease fire. Baking soda or a fire extinguisher (you can see mine on the bed of my truck) are what to use

In general, yes.

The hose is obviously for surrounding structures.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

That $18 in propane should last a good while.

Peanut oil is the overwhelming way to go, and they don't give it away, so it's a comparitively large expense. But as Scott mentioned, you can strain it an reuse it several times.

If you check with Harbor Frieght, or maybe Wally (I don't go there, even if there was one anywhere near me, but Harbor Frieght is just as bad), you can get the fryer setup for very cheap.

And I've never had the problems that Scott did -- usually heats up in pretty sort order... but it ain't like there's a thermostat, so you have to mess with the valve a bit to keep the temp right. And dogsand kids need to be kept a mile from the fryer.

Couple of years ago on New Years Day, my bud had everyone bring over the turkey they got for free from spending a Ben at the grocery store. Injected them with different spice combos, cooked them all up. Ate like pigs, and sent everyone home with their leftovers. A bird takes less than an hour, so you can rapid-fire the suckers out. Between that and football, it made for a pretty good time.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

I have never tasted a fried turkey. I always roast in oven. You fried it in your kitchen? Sounds messy as in greasy as in grease splatter. Although we get a free turkey from H's work every year, this year I bought a butterball and it was very moist and tasty.

moist butterball? Yeah, don't get excited.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

trev wrote:moist butterball? Yeah, don't get excited.
.......too late.

:oops:
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.