Augusta

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

fix
Eternal Scobode

Augusta

Post by fix »

I know that ever playing there is only a pipe dream but even to grab a pass to watch the Masters being played..

Anyone here ever had the opportunity to visit it?

Here's my closest tie to the famed Green Jacket.

From my trip to see the Golf Hall of Fame at World Golf Village.

Green Jacket belonging to Clifford Roberts, co-founder and Chairman of The Masters at its inception.

The Masters Trophy

and a great player who probably would have won one if he were still around today..

Payne Stewart's Hall of Fame Locker
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

My father and brother went to a practice round last year. They both said that the course is amazing.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

MuchoBulls wrote:My father and brother went to a practice round last year. They both said that the course is amazing.
What else? Details my good man.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

True story:

My wife and I (along with her two sisters and husbands) took a trip to Bermuda about 4 years ago. Now I don't know if any of you have ever been to Bermuda, but as a visitor the only means of transportation are to either catch a cab, or to ride scooters. There are no rental cars, only scooters.

On our fourth day on the island we decided to ride around the island seeing some of the sites. We were in the Hamilton township looking at an old fort when we met this woman that was out touring the island by herself on one of the infamous Bermuda scooters. She was in her mid forties, good looking, and wearing a diamond wedding ring that would choke a horse. We exchanged pleasantries with her and found out she was from AUGUSTA Georgia! She was touring the island by herself because her husband (I got the impression she was significantly younger than he was) was back at the hotel resting.

Immediately I began to inquire if she was familiar with Augusta when she informed me that they lived just down the street from Augusta National. She said her husband plays there, which led me to believe that he may have been a member.

Of course, my eyes lit up like a madam larue pinball machine at the thought of possibly seeing the course at which time she said that we should come to Augusta some time and maybe she could arrange for me to get on the course!!!!!

She handed my sister-in-law her address and telephone number which she proceeded to lose withing five minutes of receiving it while riding around the island. As soon as I found out, I hopped back on our rented scooter going back over our path in an effort to find that piece of paper. No luck.

Even if I hadn't been able to play, just getting to see the course would have been awesome.

I could kill that fucking bitch.
get out, get out while there's still time

Post by Guest »

I've driven by it a ton of times. It's actually not out in the country as you'd think. It's right next to a VERY busy street - actually - it's not in a great spot at all. On one side of the fence you've got heaven, and on the other - hell.....

I know plenty of people who've played it. All of them say that they sucked, simply from being in too much awe of where they're playing.

I'm actually working on deals that involve GPS systems in golf courses right now, and we will be approaching them about it.

They may tell us to go to hell, but I'm damned sure going to try to at least map a hole for them. :wink:
C-Squared
Idiot

Post by C-Squared »

I attended the Wednesday practice round the year Mike Weir won it in 2003. The place is manicured beyond belief, truly incredible. There aren't any weeds in the woods...none. All the pine straw you see in the woods bordering the holes looks like it was placed there by hand. I've been playing golf for a long time and I've never seen a track with such meticulous attention to detail. The greens have sub-air ventilation systems to dry them out in case it rains a lot, like in 2003. You walk by, hear this quiet fan sound and see these small, green vents on the ground blowing out air.

You can't believe the elevation changes and the undulations in the greens until you see them in person. I stood as close to the rope on the 18th fairway as I could, about 150-160 from the green, and you can't see the putting surface at all. In fact I could only see maybe the top third of the flag and it was a middle pin that day. The uphill climp to the 8th green gave me a new appreciation for when those guys get home in two. When crossing one of the fairways while still in the crosswalk, I reach out and touched the fairway grass to see what it's like. The thickest, lushest, most perfect fairway grass I've ever seen. It looked like you could roll out a dozen balls and each would end up with a perfect sitting up lie.

Somehow a tradition got started at 16 during the practice rounds. After the players hit their tee shots they go to the very front of the tee box on the downslope that leads into the pond that fronts the green. They drop a ball then hit skip shots across the pond up onto the green. Sergio hit one that went completely underwater for approximately 20 yards, came out of the water, skipped once and ran up on the green to the back fringe.

The best part is the price of parking at the course, like $5 or $10 and the cost of cencessions: I can't remember the exact prices but it was something like $2 pimento cheese sammich, $3 chicken breast sammich, $3.50 beer, $2 soda. I remember being shocked at how inexpensive yet good the food was. I've been to a US Open, Pinehurst in 1999, and they bend you over with no lube or a reacharound at the concession tent.

Incredible experience, can't wait to go back. Anybody got some tickets they don't want?
Pride lasts a helluva lot longer than pain.
Rushville
Elwood

Post by Rushville »

When I played the Hooters Tour back in '97, I traveled to the ranking school with a guy who had played Augusta in college. He said that, after the Masters is played, the course is allowed to grow out a little and taken care of more like a normal country club and it's not really that difficult of a course. He said they just trick it up like no other for the Masters.

One other connection that just popped up this year: Back in '95 I played against a guy by the name of Bo Van Pelt in the Indiana Amateur. I couldn't believe it when I saw his name on the scoreboard at Augusta. But he was a regular on the Nationwide Tour last year and I guess there's an invite for making the top 5 of that money list for the previous year. He missed the cut, but he's been there.

He's a PGA regular this year and he just took a T7 finish at last week's event which paid him over $140,000.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Rushville wrote:When I played the Hooters Tour back in '97.....
You played on the Hooters Tour?

Damn dude, next time I make it out to Indy we're going to go out and play. Last time I was there we played the Fort Course. Was supposed to get out to Crooked Stick, but that fell through [reallypissed][/reallypissed]. I played the Legends course (pretty nice) and one other kind of beater course. I'm guessing you probably know where all the "diamonds in the rough" are. I've seen the Speedway course but never played it. A lot of guys I've talked to say it's one of the better courses in the area.
One other connection that just popped up this year: Back in '95 I played against a guy by the name of Bo Van Pelt in the Indiana Amateur.
I saw Bo Van Pelt play at the Boise Open back in 2003. I think he finished in the top 10 or close to it. Guy has definitely got serious game. Just out of curiousity, how'd you fare against him?
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Rushville wrote:When I played the Hooters Tour back in '97, I traveled to the ranking school with a guy who had played Augusta in college. He said that, after the Masters is played, the course is allowed to grow out a little and taken care of more like a normal country club and it's not really that difficult of a course. He said they just trick it up like no other for the Masters.

One other connection that just popped up this year: Back in '95 I played against a guy by the name of Bo Van Pelt in the Indiana Amateur. I couldn't believe it when I saw his name on the scoreboard at Augusta. But he was a regular on the Nationwide Tour last year and I guess there's an invite for making the top 5 of that money list for the previous year. He missed the cut, but he's been there.

He's a PGA regular this year and he just took a T7 finish at last week's event which paid him over $140,000.
Actualy, Van Pelt qualified to the Masters on the basis of his top 40 finish on last years PGA money list.

http://www.masters.org/en_US/scores/bio ... ament.html

Last year he made 1.5 million and finished with 5 top 5 finishes. If his finish at Houston is any indication, he is on track to do about the same this year.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Rushville
Elwood

Post by Rushville »

I love the Legends. Won a college tournament there. I have not had the pleasure of playing the Fort. A couple guys I was giving lessons to last year offered to take me out there but we never could get it done. But that's as good as you'll find in Indy. The Brickyard is probably still nice but the senior tour left there several years ago so they don't have that standard to keep up.

My favorite course right now is indeed a diamond in the rough. Pete Dye put a course out on Brookville Lake which is between here and Cincinnati. It's called Buck Pointe and it's designed to be resort course for people form Cincinnati who come to the lake for a vacation. It's still only a few years old, but once it grows in it will be sweet.

I went 3 and 2 against Bo. Back then I remember he could work the ball both ways and scramble like a mother. I also remember his name from the scoreboards of the Little Ceasars Indiana Junior Tour. My friends and I kinda laughed at his name. It's not funny anymore.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Rushville wrote:I love the Legends. Won a college tournament there. I have not had the pleasure of playing the Fort.
The Legends was pretty nice--well manicured. I never played the Fort before they revamped it, so I can only attest to the quality of the course now--and it's pretty good. All of the holes have alot of character and you'll likely pull every club in your bag.
Pete Dye put a course out on Brookville Lake which is between here and Cincinnati. It's called Buck Pointe and it's designed to be resort course for people form Cincinnati who come to the lake for a vacation. It's still only a few years old, but once it grows in it will be sweet.
From this pic, it does look pretty good

So did you decide to invest in that course you were talking about buying or not?

And I never did get an answer to whether you wanted to play or not? We're (my wife and I) are coming out sometime in September, and I supposedly have a connection (not mine) to get onto Crooked Stick.

I found the name of the other course, it's called Saddlebrook Golf Course. The thing I remember about it was that I paid about $20 to play it and felt like I'd overpaid. Not a well kept track.
Rushville
Elwood

Post by Rushville »

No, we decided not to bother. The funding just wasn't going to work and it's probably a good thing. I like playing golf too much to be a course owner.

I'm actually sitting about 20 blocks away from Saddlebrook right now. Yeah, it's bad. It seems that Indy is slowly becoming a hotbed for new courses though. Nicklaus just built one in the northern suburbs called Sagamore and they're selling houses around it for $250,000-$300,000. Gary Player just put one on the south side called Southern Dunes.

One relatively new place I've played recenty that I liked was a place on the north east side called Purgatory. And if you don't like sand, that's what you'll think it is.

Will I play golf? Hell yes I'll play golf!
Rushville
Elwood

Post by Rushville »

Here's what Purgatory looks like...