Something you make the break the norm..

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Moby Dick
2017 JAFFL Champ

Something you make the break the norm..

Post by Moby Dick »

nothing against my wife's cookin'...but we usually have the same 7-8 meals for dinner all the time...then when we go to the grocery store..we're at a loss when it comes to making something NEW for dinner...

what are some meals you guys/gals make to break the cycle or same ol same ol?
mvscal
Blank

Re: Something you make the break the norm..

Post by mvscal »

Moby Dick wrote:then when we go to the grocery store..we're at a loss when it comes to making something NEW for dinner...
Identify a recipe and plan for something new before you go to the grocery store.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Sometimes for a change of pace you don't need to make an entirely different meal, but just vary one part. For example the other night I fixed some grilled ono (or wahoo), a mild white fish which I cook one in a while when I see it at the store. For a side dish I experimented a little and took some thin asparagus shoots, cut them into two inch pieces and sauteed with maitake mushroom, garlic, EVOO and some butter. The asparagus and shrooms were a big hit.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Gotta go with the JSC theory here.

A good method for going out-of-the-ordinary is ti just buy whatever is on sale and looks deece in the meat department, buy whatever veggies look fresh, then either find a recipe or just wing it.

Ain't rocket surgery.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Yep. And the farmer's market is always a good place to start. You'll be getting whatever is in season locally, not some tasteless crap shipped in underripe from South America and then gassed with ethelyne.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

We were in a similar rut until this week when my wife made a large batch of taco soup.

Broth, beans, ground turkey, cilantro and some other shit. All I know is I've happily had it three days straight.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Mikey wrote:Yep. And the farmer's market is always a good place to start. You'll be getting whatever is in season locally, not some tasteless crap shipped in underripe from South America and then gassed with ethelyne.
I think I speak for pretty much everyone here not in cali or florida.

fukk off.

well, i guess there is pumpkin and a few other varieties of squash and apples.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

smackaholic wrote:
Mikey wrote:Yep. And the farmer's market is always a good place to start. You'll be getting whatever is in season locally, not some tasteless crap shipped in underripe from South America and then gassed with ethelyne.

fukk off.
Those aren't the only places with farmers' markets, by far. From what I understand, some of the best tomatoes in the country come from New Jersey.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

mvscal wrote:
smackaholic wrote:

fukk off.
Those aren't the only places with farmers' markets, by far. From what I understand, some of the best tomatoes in the country come from New Jersey.
Corn too. But they do have a shorter growing season.

I talked yesterday to the vendors at the Vista market who sell the best heirloom tomatoes around (and regular red ones too). They're located in Carlsbad. They expect to have heirlooms at least through the end of the year. Last year they lasted through January. They're selling the last of the outdoor crop in the next few weeks and expect the greenhouse plants to be ready by then.

Prolly not too many tomatoes being harvested in Jersey in mid winter.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Had farmers markets here for decades.

If it grows in temperate regions, it grows better here... just the way it is.

Around this time of year, the local stuff thins out a bit, but there's always the greenhouse stuff.

Tomatos are about done. 43,000 different types of apples right now. Berries are just about done. Onions are year-round.

About the worst year for growing any sort of produce EVER, on this side of the mountains.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

snow-cones are in season now in Canada.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.