44% of Golf HOF voters are morons

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

44% of Golf HOF voters are morons

Post by BSmack »

That is the only reason why I can think of that Vijay Singh only recieved 56% of the votes for election to the World Golf Hall of Fame. Let's take a look at the most recent inductees, all elected by at least 65% of the vote or more.

Johnny Miller
Lloyd Mangrum
Greg Norman
Payne Stewart
Ben Crenshaw
Nick Price
Tom Kite

With the sole exception of Greg Norman, I don't see a player on that list that can lay claim to a more accomplished career than Vijay.

And even the Golf Channel piled on Vijay's accomplishment by titling their story "Singh Elected to Hall of Fame on Technicality".

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.aspx ... lect=16012

I guess people really do hate him.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
fix
Eternal Scobode

Re: 44% of Golf HOF voters are morons

Post by fix »

BSmack wrote:That is the only reason why I can think of that Vijay Singh only recieved 56% of the votes for election to the World Golf Hall of Fame. Let's take a look at the most recent inductees, all elected by at least 65% of the vote or more.

Johnny Miller
Lloyd Mangrum
Greg Norman
Payne Stewart
Ben Crenshaw
Nick Price
Tom Kite

With the sole exception of Greg Norman, I don't see a player on that list that can lay claim to a more accomplished career than Vijay.

And even the Golf Channel piled on Vijay's accomplishment by titling their story "Singh Elected to Hall of Fame on Technicality".

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.aspx ... lect=16012

I guess people really do hate him.
As controversial as this may seem.. I hate to say this but if Vijay were an American he'd have received that 65%.

Let's be honest here, if Tiger, Phil and Vijay are all playing a competitive tournament of the three, who would you or the majority of Americans be least likely to cheer for...

It's a sad statement that the Golf Channel couldn't report Vijay's accomplishment without taking a swipe at him.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Re: 44% of Golf HOF voters are morons

Post by BSmack »

Otis wrote:As controversial as this may seem.. I hate to say this but if Vijay were an American he'd have received that 65%.

Let's be honest here, if Tiger, Phil and Vijay are all playing a competitive tournament of the three, who would you or the majority of Americans be least likely to cheer for...

It's a sad statement that the Golf Channel couldn't report Vijay's accomplishment without taking a swipe at him.
I agree 100%. Vijay could have easily been elected last year. That he wasn't was a judgement call, and perhaps also a function of the desire to honor Tom Kite, a player who would give his left testicle to have a career as accomplished as Singh's. But this year should have been a slam dunk. With 9 wins and a major, Vijay elevated his career from that of marginal HOFer to more than the equal of most recent Hall Inductees. He should have been on no less than 95% of the ballots. And that is assuming that the other 5% of the voters are too senile to know who they are voting for.

Not for nothing, but Vijay also gives back more to the game than just about any other top player on Tour. He's the only one of the Top 5 you will see in action this week at the Houston Open. And it is a fair bet that he will be the only one playing next week at New Orleans. If the other members of the "Big 4" had Vijay's attitude towards playing regular tour events, the PGA Tour would be a far better place indeed.

It is a shame that, even in his finest hour, Vijay barely gets props from the American media.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

Let's not blast the Golf Channel, from what I read it was an AP report that had the technicality blast. Does it really matter anyway? I mean, what's the criteria for induction. Singh gets in, but why not the remaining members of "The Big Four"?
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Post by Cueball »

Found it.
Inuction Criteria
It answers my last question and disqualifies my first question, but I still hate Vijay :P
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i don't understand all the Vijay hate.....not just here.....in general. the guy is a player.

he's spoke to the so-called cheating thing.

sure, golf is about integrity...but i'm inclined to give the guy the benefit of doubt.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
3putt
Crack Whore

Post by 3putt »

The PGA needs something more like the LPGA where a certain number of points (based on tour wins, Major wins, Player of the Year awards, etc.) gets you in automatically whether the voters like you or not.

The option of voting people in could be reserved for those guys who had a solid career, but never quite got enough points for an automatic induction.

Either way, Singh should be in like a six inch putt.