Off-Road Vette

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Re: Off-Road Vette

Post by indyfrisco »

I'm just glad you turned your lens to unsuspecting cars instead of creeping out 20-somethings.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Ana Ng
Typhoid Mary

Post by Ana Ng »

Whoa? I've never even one of those GT-Rs?

Weird that since this impending move to NH next month, I tend to focus mostly on SUVs now. :(
War Wagon wrote:There is a God and my tomato garden is proof of that.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Sudden Sam wrote:I can't even pretend that I think I look young enough to make them feel comfortable any more.
Fuck 'em. Who cares if they're comfortable or not? If they're so "uncomfortable" then maybe they shouldn't be walking around with their tits and asses hanging out all over the place. It's all an act anyway.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Ana Ng wrote:Whoa? I've never even one of those GT-Rs?

Weird that since this impending move to NH next month, I tend to focus mostly on SUVs now. :(
You would be better off learning how to drive in snow and ice. Four wheel drive really only helps when you get extreme snow. I live in a place that gets 2 times the show you'll get in NH and by no means is an SUV a necessity.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I'm not sure I've seen a Vette (probably), but any of the midsize Chev bodies on 4X4 frames are fairly commonplace around these parts. Came across a guy who built them professionally. The El Caminos are the most popular, but I see Camaros and Chevelles and whatnot.

Dude finds a wrecked truck, chops out the part of the frame with the serial #, welds it into his prefab frame thingy (emission standards are pretty freaking different from 1974 to 2011, if you weld in the frame #, it becomes the model year of whatever truck you stole the chunk of frame from), then finds whatever Chev with a bad subframe/unibody, and mounts the body on the frame.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

BSmack wrote: You would be better off learning how to drive in snow and ice. Four wheel drive really only helps when you get extreme snow. I live in a place that gets 2 times the show you'll get in NH and by no means is an SUV a necessity.

:massiverolleyes:

I live close to the snowiest place on earth, and what you just posted is beyond inane.

Not only does it average more snow than anywhere else, there's often a 3000' elevation change while you're driving through it (unless you're hitting a ski resort, than you can drive 5000' feet through it).

And I'd be willing to bet everyone who frequently does the trip would fall over laughing at your post.

"4WD only helps in 'extreme snow.' "

Yeah, tripling your traction doesn't help at all... dumbass.

I'd be willing to bet not everyone in your area is as big a dumbass as you, since ChuckieD would have made the area uninhabited.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

you wanna link me up with the part where Bilk says 4WD wouldn't be really fukking handy driving at hi elevations in the cascades?

oh, never mind. he didn't say that. he said that for normal winter driving in CNY you can get by just fine without it, so long as you aren't needing to go out in the middle of a fukking blizzard.

he is right.

4WD is the cat's ass, when you really, really need it, like when you just have to get to the ski lodge somewhere on the side of mt hood, right. fukking. now. but, if you live in most places, it is an unnecessary expense in a number of ways.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

smackaholic wrote: oh, never mind. he didn't say that. he said that for normal winter driving in CNY you can get by just fine without it

You have just kicked your own ass.

His reference to CNY was after his statement that "Four wheel drive really only helps when you get extreme snow."

He also based it on the fact that "where I live gets twice as much snow blah blah blah," and I merely pointed out that near where I live (since you'd have to be a fucking retard to live where it snows that much), we get over twice as much snow as CNY... so who has the "expertise" on it? Remember, he based his "expertise" on total snowfall... whose got the edge there?

But you're going to call me out for this with...

"he said that for normal winter driving in CNY you can get by just fine without it, so long as you aren't needing to go out in the middle of a fukking blizzard.

he is right.

4WD is the cat's ass, when you really, really need it, like when you just have to get to the ski lodge somewhere on the side of mt hood, right. fukking. now."

Wait... you claim my Cascade comparison is invalid, because you claim he made statements about CNY (he didn't)... to someone moving to NH.

Don't look for the Logic Fucking Fairy to leave any quarters under your pillow tonight, since you just pissed her right the fuck off.

YHKYOA
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

She is moving to coastal NH, which, as B says, gets less snow than CNY. You jumped in about how the cascades get eleventy billion inches of snow a year and 4WD is real fukking handy.

So fukking what.

He is still correct in saying that as long as you are cool with staying put during "extreme snow" aka, a fukking blizzard, you'll be aight with a decent set of all season tires on your fwd car. you can even get by with rwd, if you have the right tires and shutyomouth jammed into the trunk.

this past winter was the winter of extreme snow (for our area). there was 1 fukking day where i picked up the phone, called work and said, see you tomorrow.

1 fukking day.

if i has a 4X4, i could have made it that day and not burned a sick day.

big whoop.

not worth the added expense in gas, insurance, maintenance that come with having 4WD.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Dinsdale wrote:
BSmack wrote: You would be better off learning how to drive in snow and ice. Four wheel drive really only helps when you get extreme snow. I live in a place that gets 2 times the show you'll get in NH and by no means is an SUV a necessity.
:massiverolleyes:

I live close to the snowiest place on earth, and what you just posted is beyond inane. Not only does it average more snow than anywhere else, there's often a 3000' elevation change while you're driving through it (unless you're hitting a ski resort, than you can drive 5000' feet through it). And I'd be willing to bet everyone who frequently does the trip would fall over laughing at your post.

"4WD only helps in 'extreme snow.' "

Yeah, tripling your traction doesn't help at all... dumbass.

I'd be willing to bet not everyone in your area is as big a dumbass as you, since ChuckieD would have made the area uninhabited.
Dins, major metro areas back east have these things called "plows." They do a real good job of moving snow. And when things are so bad that plows can't keep up, (which might happen once a year where she is) she's still not doing to be looking at anything more than a foot of snow on the road during the WORST possible Nor'easter. Trust me, people wreck just as often around here with SUVs as they do with standard front wheel drive vehicles. She would be just as safe with a standard front wheel drive car as an SUV. The main thing she should be looking at is anti-lock braking. That should be mandatory for her next car. If she's really bent of getting more traction than she needs, she should get an all wheel drive car, not an SUV. A 4WD SUV is total overkill and is only useful for hauling things.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

smackaholic wrote:you wanna link me up with the part where Bilk says 4WD wouldn't be really fukking handy driving at hi elevations in the cascades?

oh, never mind. he didn't say that. he said that for normal winter driving in CNY you can get by just fine without it, so long as you aren't needing to go out in the middle of a fukking blizzard.

he is right.

4WD is the cat's ass, when you really, really need it, like when you just have to get to the ski lodge somewhere on the side of mt hood, right. fukking. now. but, if you live in most places, it is an unnecessary expense in a number of ways.
I used to spend a lot of time in Syracuse and Oswego. Those towns make Rochester look like New York City for snowfall. And there were plenty of times I drove RWD cars through 6" or deep snow without so much as stuffing shutyomouth in the trunk. If you drive at the proper speed and understand how to countersteer in a skid, you can drive through any snow that isn't higher than your car's axle.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

Rack Bsmack.

Slow down, brake on straightaways not turns and don't drive if the snow is falling faster than they can plow it. Pretty simple.
Moving Sale wrote: I could easily have an IQ of 40
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

BSmack wrote:
smackaholic wrote:you wanna link me up with the part where Bilk says 4WD wouldn't be really fukking handy driving at hi elevations in the cascades?

he is right.

I used to spend a lot of time in Syracuse and Oswego. Those towns make Rochester look like New York City for snowfall. And there were plenty of times I drove RWD cars through 6" or deep snow without so much as stuffing shutyomouth in the trunk. If you drive at the proper speed and understand how to countersteer in a skid, you can drive through any snow that isn't higher than your car's axle.
and there is the added entertainment value of throttle induced oversteer. yeehaw. as for getting through 6 inches without the shutyomouth traction option, i'd say, yeah maybe....until you throw in a few nice hills. then you'll wish you had a few more pounds over the driven wheels.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

smackaholic wrote:and there is the added entertainment value of throttle induced oversteer. yeehaw. as for getting through 6 inches without the shutyomouth traction option, i'd say, yeah maybe....until you throw in a few nice hills. then you'll wish you had a few more pounds over the driven wheels.
I've been driving the last 4 years with a RWD vehicle. Never have I felt the need to drop weight in the back. Then again, I usually don't go seeking out steep grades in blizzards.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

My buddy has a '02 (?) Toyota Highlander. Has the Electronic Traction System. Which even has a "snow" setting.

I resisted that technology for years and years. But frankly, it's the end-all, be-all.Isuppose if you got going fast enough (in which case Darwin is aready gunning for you), and jerked the wheel, it might spin out. Otherwise -- pretty much impossible. Pretty freaking cool.

And I'm with Todd -- 4WD is occasionally very important for getting the boat up and down the ramp. For driftboating and small-stream stuff, we're sometimes all-but dropping the trailer over the edge of a moderately steep bank, and sometimes 4 Low comes in really handy.
Ana Ng
Typhoid Mary

Post by Ana Ng »

I used to use my Jeep's 4-wheel "high" in very heavy rain. Of course, I was going less than 50 MPH. I used the 4-wheel "low" a couple times in WA state when it actually snowed and our street was covered in sheets of ice.

I did happen to get stuck in an unexpected snow storm driving through West Virginia in the middle of the night a couple years ago in my Dodge Neon SRT-4. My chains were in the trunk, and I almost got blasted off the highway by a few semi trucks. I was traveling at a mere 7 miles an hour, and at one point, couldn't see 3 ft. in front of me. I had a 9 year old in the back seat SCREAMING and a Pomeranian as my co-pilot. I wouldn't pull over, because A.) I wasn't the only vehicle sliding all over the road and B.) I was pretty sure we were traveling over an steep drop at the time. Luckily, about 10 minutes into it we came to an exit with a Motel 8, and I was able to just check in and go into cardiac arrest there.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

BSmack wrote:Dins, major metro areas back east have these things called "plows." They do a real good job of moving snow. And when things are so bad that plows can't keep up, (which might happen once a year where she is) she's still not doing to be looking at anything more than a foot of snow on the road during the WORST possible Nor'easter. Trust me, people wreck just as often around here with SUVs as they do with standard front wheel drive vehicles. She would be just as safe with a standard front wheel drive car as an SUV. The main thing she should be looking at is anti-lock braking. That should be mandatory for her next car. If she's really bent of getting more traction than she needs, she should get an all wheel drive car, not an SUV. A 4WD SUV is total overkill and is only useful for hauling things.
I've dealt with more snowfall in a week than Dinsdale has in his entire life, and I approve this message.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I've dealt with more snowfall in a week than Dinsdale has in his entire life, and I approve this message.

I'm not sure which part of "snowiest place on earth" you're struggling with.

I can see it from my freaking house. But sinceI'm not an idiot (OK, debatable), I choose not to live there. Every now and then, I have the misfortune of having to traverse it, and occasionally seek recreation in it (not a skier).

When you have to dig through doule digit snow to get out the front door, get back to me. Until then, don't assume there isn't fleets of plows. And don't assume we don't have 10'+ weeks of snow... because then you sound silly.

I spent 4 days working at Santiam Pass in nonstop snow, some of which was blizzard. Had feet in those 4 days, and my coworker and I... check this out... we had to drive through it. And here's where it gets crazy -- we used 4WD. Couldn't imagine doing it without.

Anyone who thinks it isn't a night/day difference is a fool.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

I have a 4WD SUV and I find it particularly handy trecking to/from work during snow storms. About half of my 20 mile commute is highway... the other half is back roads, which get plowed last. Granted, I usually WFH whenever there's a major storm, but sometimes I have to be in the office. It is... necessary? No. But I am definitely better off in it.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

IndyFrisco wrote:I'm just glad you turned your lens to unsuspecting cars instead of creeping out 20-somethings.
I'm with MV and SFAF: Who give a fuck?
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Dinsdale wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I've dealt with more snowfall in a week than Dinsdale has in his entire life, and I approve this message.

I'm not sure which part of "snowiest place on earth" you're struggling with.

I can see it from my freaking house. But sinceI'm not an idiot (OK, debatable), I choose not to live there. Every now and then, I have the misfortune of having to traverse it, and occasionally seek recreation in it (not a skier).

When you have to dig through doule digit snow to get out the front door, get back to me. Until then, don't assume there isn't fleets of plows. And don't assume we don't have 10'+ weeks of snow... because then you sound silly.

I spent 4 days working at Santiam Pass in nonstop snow, some of which was blizzard. Had feet in those 4 days, and my coworker and I... check this out... we had to drive through it. And here's where it gets crazy -- we used 4WD. Couldn't imagine doing it without.

Anyone who thinks it isn't a night/day difference is a fool.
Dins,

If Anna moves to the Cascades, you have a point. She's moving to a city that averages less than 50" of snow in a YEAR. 4WD simply isn't necessary where she will be. Now if she were moving up into the sparsely populated areas of northern NH or Maine? Even then a Subaru would likely be more than adequate. It seems to work just fine for my brother in Vermont.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

BSmack wrote: Even then a Subaru would likely be more than adequate. It seems to work just fine for my brother in Vermont.
your bro's a lesbian?

pre or post op?
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

smackaholic wrote:
BSmack wrote: Even then a Subaru would likely be more than adequate. It seems to work just fine for my brother in Vermont.
your bro's a lesbian?

pre or post op?
Of course he's a lesbian. He also grows his own granola using nothing but organic alpaca dung as fertilizer.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Ana Ng
Typhoid Mary

Post by Ana Ng »

Toddowen wrote:And if the ground clearance wasn't there, you could always lift it up and over the snow bank.
Sure, WE could.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Dinsdale wrote:I can see it from my freaking house. But sinceI'm not an idiot (OK, debatable), I choose not to live there. Every now and then, I have the misfortune of having to traverse it, and occasionally seek recreation in it (not a skier).
I wasn't aware you needed 4WD to look at snow from a distance. In any event, that's why I said "dealt with," jackass. I can see a lot of snow by flipping on the nature channel, but actually dealing with lake effect snow in West Michigan on a daily basis results in a better education.
When you have to dig through doule digit snow to get out the front door, get back to me.
Where I grew up we called that "winter."
nonstop snow
Where I grew up we called that "winter."
blizzard
You guessed it, "winter."
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Where I grew up we called that "winter."
When you get over 50 feet, let me know.

So, in conclusion, the people who have driven different vehicles in different amounts of snow seem to universally agree that 4WD/AWD is a HUGE freaking improveent, if not a necessity.

Which I guess means the rest are... talking out their ass.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

How many times have you dealt with 50 feet of snow? I am 100% confident that answer is zero. If there's 50' of snow on the ground, it really doesn't matter what's parked in your driveway, doofus.
So, in conclusion, the people who have driven different vehicles in different amounts of snow seem to universally agree that 4WD/AWD is a HUGE freaking improveent, if not a necessity.
Improvement? Yes. Necessity? That depends where you live. If it wasn't a necessity where I grew up, it sure won't be where Ana's moving to. And any bullshit non sequiturs about 50' of snow, the Cascades, and that one time you drove in a blizzard doesn't change anything.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Dinsdale wrote:So, in conclusion, the people who have driven different vehicles in different amounts of snow seem to universally agree that 4WD/AWD is a HUGE freaking improveent, if not a necessity.
It is a SLIGHT improvement under anything but the most adverse conditions. PERIOD. Certainly not worth the extra money unless you are consistently driving in remote areas that are not plowed often or if you are hauling in adverse conditions on a FREQUENT basis. Also, if you are plowing with a pickup truck, 4x4 is a necessity. Otherwise you are just pissing money away. But hey, don't listen to people who deal with copious amounts of lake effect snow. You're Dinsdale, you know everything.

You're welcome for the sig.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Trampis
Eternal Scobode

Post by Trampis »

BSmack wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:So, in conclusion, the people who have driven different vehicles in different amounts of snow seem to universally agree that 4WD/AWD is a HUGE freaking improveent, if not a necessity.
It is a SLIGHT improvement under anything but the most adverse conditions. PERIOD. Certainly not worth the extra money unless you are consistently driving in remote areas that are not plowed often or if you are hauling in adverse conditions on a FREQUENT basis. Also, if you are plowing with a pickup truck, 4x4 is a necessity. Otherwise you are just pissing money away. But hey, don't listen to people who deal with copious amounts of lake effect snow. You're Dinsdale, you know everything.

A slight improvement?

Bro, 4wd is way better, waaaaayyyyyy better.

Personally, I think its worth the extra dough to own a 4wd for the 5-10 days per year where it comes in handy.
Bad spelling is a diversionary tactic
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Trampis wrote:
BSmack wrote:

A slight improvement?

Bro, 4wd is way better, waaaaayyyyyy better.

Personally, I think its worth the extra dough to own a 4wd for the 5-10 days per year where it comes in handy.
then, go get you one. you too, dins. those of us that rather waste money on whatever will do so.

ain't america great?
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

KC Scott wrote:Mgo - I can only imagine you were either in the city or a flat suburb where you had excellent city plow services to survive chicago winters without it
He didn't grow up in Chicago winters, but yes, Plainfield Twp (MI) has pretty good plow services courtesy of Kent County. Plus people know how to drive in snow there and aren't weather pussies, so that helps.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

KC Scott wrote:I gotta agree with Trampis, the the 5 - 10 days a year I engage it (like the Blizzard Feb 1) it's worth the 7K more I paid and the 4 mpg I lose driving it
Along with all the extra money one usually pays for having it serviced (I'm sure you do your own, but most don't)?
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Definitely a rural thing, in the city that's about $700 per day. Cities get plowed but there's nowhere to put the snow.
Parking is an adventure, aim for a snowbank, hit the gas and hope you're out of the driving lane when you come to a halt.
If you can't get out of it in the morning with a shovel and 2WD you're a nob.
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

BBC Top Gear review of Nissan GT-R
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXFSVoVqhYw
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:Granted, I usually WFH whenever there's a major storm

How can you wipe off the stationary bike seats from home?
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

KC Scott wrote:I've got a bunch of friends in Minneapolis and ALL of them have 4x4 - same for their wives. Maybe it's more rural thing.
Same here. It is rural as well as lots of hills. When I moved here, I had a RWD Ford F150, stick shift. After the first winter I had here (28" in 30 hours at one point), I traded that motherfucker in for a 4WD truck. Have not had any problems since. Traded my wife's Grand Prix GTP in for a 4WD SUV because we could not get up our driveway with it in the snow. Just bought a new 4WD SUV and keep my truck in the detached garage as a backup vehicle which we have needed a couple times. I would not have it any other way.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Dinsdale wrote: So, in conclusion, the people who have driven different vehicles in different amounts of snow seem to universally agree that 4WD/AWD is a HUGE freaking improveent, if not a necessity.

Which I guess means the rest are... talking out their ass.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

KC Scott wrote:I've got a bunch of friends in Minneapolis and ALL of them have 4x4 - same for their wives. Maybe it's more rural thing.
I gotta agree with Trampis, the the 5 - 10 days a year I engage it (like the Blizzard Feb 1) it's worth the 7K more I paid and the 4 mpg I lose driving it
You paid 7k more foe a feature that you only use, at most, 10 times a year? Seems to me it would be cheaper to learn how to drive. But hey, its your money.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown