your most painful sports loss (top 3)

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

your most painful sports loss (top 3)

Post by King Crimson »

it's the off-season, right?

1. 1988 OU v. Kansas in the national champ game in basketball.
2. 1977 OU v. Nebraska @ NU. Billy Sims wins the Heisman and OU the MNC all but for Billy fumbling inside the NU 10. OU pounds NU like a 3$ hooker in the unprecedented Orange Bowl rematch.
3. 1988: OU loses to Miami (again). Jimmy Johnson drinks urine for dinner, it's his hair secret.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Re: your most painful sports loss (top 3)

Post by Truman »

List the Top Three?

My head just exploded...

/s/

MizzouFan
Journalism Scholar Emeritus Screw_Marcus wrote:Oh OK, so what's legal and what's not determines if something is right or not?
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i had to work hard for #3.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

In no particular order...

The Colorado Fifth-Down Game… Fuckers went on to win the National Championship.

The Nebraska Flea-Kicker Game… Fuckers went on to win the National Championship.

Tyus Edney’s four second, end-to-end game-winning dash through a forest of frozen Tigers… Fuckers went on to win the National Championship.

Sense a trend here?

I could also list a couple of football teams that never bothered to get off the bus at bowl games and conference championships, and whole host of Norm Stewart-coached, top seeded basketball teams that peed down their leg in the first or second rounds of the NCAAs, but since alcohol leads to depression and I just cracked my first beer, I really don’t want to have kill myself later…
Journalism Scholar Emeritus Screw_Marcus wrote:Oh OK, so what's legal and what's not determines if something is right or not?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Tru's examples damn near kilt me too, but there were worse.

1977 Royals loss to Yankees in the ALCS

1995 Chiefs playoff loss to Indy

1997 Chiefs playoff loss to Denver

It's been a painful life for this sports fan.
BlindRef
Fuck State

Post by BlindRef »

The three that come to mind quickly:

1) Michigan v North Caroline 1993 Bball Nat Championships

2) 2006 Ohio State - Michigan

3) Detroit Tigers vs Minnesota Twins game 163 2009
Those who stay will be champions.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

War Wagon wrote:Tru's examples damn near kilt me too, but there were worse.

1977 Royals loss to Yankees in the ALCS

1995 Chiefs playoff loss to Indy

1997 Chiefs playoff loss to Denver

It's been a painful life for this sports fan.
Aw, for cat's sake Wags, I wasn't EVEN thinkin' pro when KC dropped this thread...

Now look at what you went and made me do....
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

2009-2010 National Championship game. I fully expected Texas to win and seeing the way we came out, I thought we would win. When Colt went out, we were done. The fact that we got within 3 with 3 to go was amazing. That was a painful loss.

2008 Texas vs. Texas Tech. As we were going down the field to take the lead, I kept yelling that we were not using up enough time. We needed to run off 2 more seconds. Watching Blake Gideon drop a sure interception, geez. That loss cost us a chance for a MNC.

2001 Texas vs. Colorado. I was there and ready to watch Texas win the Big XII and play Miami for the MNC. Watching Chris Simms shit the bed was brutal. We also missed a field goal in the 3rd that most people forget about. We had it there for the taking and could not get it done.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

1998 Rose Bowl
2000 WMU at CMU
2000 MAC Championship
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

ND vs BC in 1993. Played like shit the whole game only to come back and take the lead. Any ND fan that blames that loss on Pete Bercich, I'll kick them in the god damn throat.

ND vs PSU in 1992. Lost when they were #1 on my birthday.

ND vs Colorado in '91 Orange Bowl. Rocket to win, only to have it denied. Still haven't forgiven Greg Davis.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Truman wrote:In no particular order...

The Colorado Fifth-Down Game… Fuckers went on to win the National Championship.

The Nebraska Flea-Kicker Game… Fuckers went on to win the National Championship.

Tyus Edney’s four second, end-to-end game-winning dash through a forest of frozen Tigers… Fuckers went on to win the National Championship.

Sense a trend here?

you guys would sell OU fan into white slavery but it's so much fun. that NU kick game, game was a joke....that was a mighty screwing. ankle grab.

Tyus Edney, how about playing some D Norm?
"
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

1985 Iron Bowl - Van Tiffin kicked a 53 yard field goal as time expired and they had no timeouts left.

Anything else would be a distant #2 or #3.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Screw_Michigan wrote:1998 Rose Bowl
You are such a pussy.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Killian

Post by Killian »

WolverineSteve wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:1998 Rose Bowl
You are such a pussy.
You're surprised?
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

2007 MSU vs UM football: Trailed by 11 at halftime and came back to the tune of a 10 point lead midway through the 4th quarter. Game was over. Well...no, not so much. This was the game that led to the Mike Hart "little brother" comments which made the loss harder to swallow.

2009 MSU vs UNC basketball national championship: One of those games where the excitement and anticipation builds and builds and you're sky high for it and then...plop...you're out of the game 2 minutes into it. Not even remotely competitive. What a fucking downer. But that UNC team was damn good. In an age of parity they were one of the truly dominant teams of the recent era.

need to ponder up a third one...
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

1. 77-0, nuff said
2. 1992 AFC Championship Game - The Comeback starring Frank Reich over the Houston Oilers
3. 2005 World Series, Houston Astros getting swept by the Chicago White Sox
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

King Crimson wrote:i had to work hard for #3.
actually, losing to Miami wasn't ever tough. they were good. and you knew it. plus, they had that whole "forward pass" thing going (which was mysterious for OU fan inna day).

i'll go with Tisdale and the Sooners losing to Memphis State and Keith Lee in the Elite 8, 1985. or 2002 OU losing to Indiana in the Final Four.....when OU had wins over both Kansas and Maryland on the other side of the FF.
"
Killian

Post by Killian »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:2007 MSU vs UM football: Trailed by 11 at halftime and came back to the tune of a 10 point lead midway through the 4th quarter. Game was over. Well...no, not so much. This was the game that led to the Mike Hart "little brother" comments which made the loss harder to swallow.

2009 MSU vs UNC basketball national championship: One of those games where the excitement and anticipation builds and builds and you're sky high for it and then...plop...you're out of the game 2 minutes into it. Not even remotely competitive. What a fucking downer. But that UNC team was damn good. In an age of parity they were one of the truly dominant teams of the recent era.

need to ponder up a third one...
MSU vs UofM in 2004? MSU vs. ND in 2006? Those are two that I thought of right away.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

IndyFrisco wrote:1. 77-0, nuff said
that doesn't count, that was only 3 quarters of football.

"
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Killian wrote:ND vs BC in 1993. Played like shit the whole game only to come back and take the lead. Any ND fan that blames that loss on Pete Bercich, I'll kick them in the god damn throat.

ND vs Colorado in '91 Orange Bowl. Rocket to win, only to have it denied. Still haven't forgiven Greg Davis.
You were what, 10 years old, when these happened? Fitting.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Killian wrote:MSU vs UofM in 2004? MSU vs. ND in 2006? Those are two that I thought of right away.
Oh, there's a ton, but those two had the most impact for me...
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

What part of "nuff said" do you not understand?
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I'm a lifelong Ducks and Trailblazers fan...

you said "Top 30," right?

2000 Civil War, Joey Harrington forgetting which color jersies to throw to.

2001 vs Stanford, when that guy whose name we don't speak (initials JF) was obviously bought off by the mob and OLE'd twice on special teams, and singlehandedly lost the game, whick lost a berth in the MNC game.

1992 NBA Finals, MJ woke up and decided he no longer sucked from 3-point range, leading to his shoulder-shrug-highlight.

2000 Western Conference Championship, putting on an amazing come-from-way-ahead loss, with Shaq dancing around like a jackass afterward.

I could go on for quite a while.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Killian

Post by Killian »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Killian wrote:ND vs BC in 1993. Played like shit the whole game only to come back and take the lead. Any ND fan that blames that loss on Pete Bercich, I'll kick them in the god damn throat.

You were what, 10 years old, when these happened? Fitting.
Nope, try again. While your at it, think of some other schools win as your most painfull loss. I'm sure if the reverse of this question was asked, you would list North Carolina basketball in 1993, Colorado football in 1994, and Ohio State in 2006. Not only are you stupid, you're fucking pathetic as well.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

3. Marty McSorleys over bent stick in game 2 of the Cup finals
2. Rosebowl loss to Texas
1. Missions loss to Servite in the CIF SS Pac 5 title
Killian

Post by Killian »

If I remember correctly, that was Webber's only catch in his career.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Killian wrote:Nope, try again. While your at it, think of some other schools win as your most painfull loss. I'm sure if the reverse of this question was asked, you would list North Carolina basketball in 1993, Colorado football in 1994, and Ohio State in 2006. Not only are you stupid, you're fucking pathetic as well.
Next time try to get a little lower on that pedophile priest's crank of a school you have no connection to, but act like you do.
Killian

Post by Killian »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Killian wrote:Nope, try again. While your at it, think of some other schools win as your most painfull loss. I'm sure if the reverse of this question was asked, you would list North Carolina basketball in 1993, Colorado football in 1994, and Ohio State in 2006. Not only are you stupid, you're fucking pathetic as well.
Next time try to get a little lower on that pedophile priest's crank of a school you have no connection to, but act like you do.
When was the last time you played for Western Michigan? Let me guess, "I went there" is your comeback, right? So, when did you work for the Nationals or Capitals?

Keep enjoying your sports moments through others misery because your teams suck so bad they never win anything. Well, WMU is good at hockey, right? Whoops.

Why don't you take on the other people in this forum who didn't attend they cheer for? You should try someone else because at this point, it's just batting practice for me. Too bad Notre Dame wasn't as easy to get into as WMU and too bad you weren't smart enough to get into UofM like you always dreamed. That way, you could have at least cheered for a winner.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

This was just fucking painful...

Lorenzo Charles in the final second...

Eventhough we went on to the World Series, the moment it happened had my stomach in knots...

88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Killian wrote: When was the last time you played for Western Michigan? Let me guess, "I went there" is your comeback, right? So, when did you work for the Nationals or Capitals?
he probably worked for the student newspaper, which meant he hung out with his other loser friends in the dorm on saturday nights talking about getting to interview all that mac-caliber talent. "i talked to some dude who might go in the 7th round, yo!" no doubt became one of those douchebags who post photos of themselves on facebook with d-list celebrities, hot women on the clock at some restaurant, or in front of cars other people own.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

1. Miami 58, ND 7. That might come as a surprise to some, given that ND never had any real chance to win the game. But it was the last game of my senior year at ND, and Jimmy Johnson went out of his way to embarrass us, keeping in his starters the whole way and even scoring the final touchdown on a pass. I've hated that fucker ever since.

2. Danny Ainge drives the length of the floor through ND's entire defense and beats us by a point in the Sweet 16 in '81.

3. The BC loss in '93. ND only had to win to play for the national championship. ND played like shit all game, then came back to take the lead, only to see Fredo win it on a last-second FG. Of course, NBC didn't exactly do us any favors in the aftermath, particularly since Florida State had remained in the title picture by lobbying the media hard to stay at #2 after their loss to ND the week before. By contrast, NBC acted like it was a foregone conclusion that ND would drop out of the national championship picture.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Post by Q, West Coast Style »

1. 1998 Rose Bowl

2. Game 7 2000 NBA WCF. See Dins, above. No doubt zers would've rolled through pacers in Finals. Totoally choked away NBA title. Totally changed the course of Portland and Laker franchises that is still felt to this day.

3. 2003 Wazzu chokes away 19
Pt 1st half lead at Notre Dame. I was there. My behavior leaving the stadium was perhaps my low point as a human being.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Q, West Coast Style wrote:1. 1998 Rose Bowl
Now this makes sense.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:3. The BC loss in '93. ND only had to win to play for the national championship. ND played like shit all game, then came back to take the lead, only to see Fredo win it on a last-second FG. Of course, NBC didn't exactly do us any favors in the aftermath, particularly since Florida State had remained in the title picture by lobbying the media hard to stay at #2 after their loss to ND the week before. By contrast, NBC acted like it was a foregone conclusion that ND would drop out of the national championship picture.
FSU lost on the road and you followed that up with losing the home game the next week.

FSU should have been seen in a better light because of that.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Killian

Post by Killian »

MuchoBulls wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote:3. The BC loss in '93. ND only had to win to play for the national championship. ND played like shit all game, then came back to take the lead, only to see Fredo win it on a last-second FG. Of course, NBC didn't exactly do us any favors in the aftermath, particularly since Florida State had remained in the title picture by lobbying the media hard to stay at #2 after their loss to ND the week before. By contrast, NBC acted like it was a foregone conclusion that ND would drop out of the national championship picture.
FSU lost on the road and you followed that up with losing the home game the next week.

FSU should have been seen in a better light because of that.
Notre Dame lost on the road in 1989 and thrashed the #1 team in the country in the bowl game. Yet ND wasn't seen in a better light when compared to Miami.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

1. Notre Dame 21, Colorado 6 - Jan. 1, 1990
If real life played out like the movies, CU would've won their only MNC a year earlier. If ever a team seemed destined to win an MNC, it was the '89 Buffs with the spirit of Sal on their side. Ironically, in the Orange Bowl, the most popular Catholic school in the world managed to prove once and for all that there is no god...

2. Nebraska 24, Colorado 7 - Oct. 29, 1994
I'm convinced this is the best team CU has ever fielded. The roster was stacked with award winners and future NFL stars. It's just unfortunate that they had their one off day against the eventual national champs on the road in the 200th consecutive sellout of Memorial Stadium.

3. Nebraska 33, Colorado 30 (OT) - Nov. 26, 1999
This is more of a personal pick. There's nothing particularly special about this season, except that it was my last as a CU student. The Buffs hadn't beaten NU since their MNC season in 1990 (they tied in '91), but they'd been closing the gap in recent years, losing the previous three games in the series by a total of 10 points. After trailing 24-3 at halftime and 27-3 heading into the 4th quarter, the Buffs looked doomed in this one. But a miraculous 4th quarter CU rally tied the game at 27-27 and actually gave them a chance to win at the end of regulation with a 34-yard chip shot FG. As Jeremy Aldrich was lining up for the game-winner, there were tears welling up in my eyes and I was hugging complete strangers in the stands next to me, saying "We're finally going to do it!" Oops. Or not. Wide right. NU gets a second life and wins it in OT. Fuck me. CU would go on to lose the following year's game in similarly heartbreaking fashion (making it 5 games by 15 points) before finally unleashing a decade's worth of frustration on the 'skers in 2001.

Not too many heartbreakers from college hoops or the world of pro sports. CU basketball has never been good enough to get my hopes very high in the first place. The Nuggets losing to the Lakers in the Western Conference Finals a couple years ago was disappointing, but hardly unexpected. The Broncos had a rough go of it in their first few trips to the SB, but those are tempered a little by the back-to-back wins in '98 and '99. Probably my most painful non-CFB memory is the '81 NFC Championship Game. I was pretty young at the time, but I still have to turn away every time they start to show a replay of Dwight Clark jumping up in the back of the end zone...
"Keys, woman!"
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

1. Interrupting the Wooden dominance by losing to NC State in '74
2. Losing that make-up game in '98 to Miami - costing the national championship game
3. Rams losing to Steelers in Super Bowl 1979
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

1. 2009 Stanley Cup Finals, Game 7 -- Penguins 2, Red Wings 1 :x
2. 1991 NFC Conference Championship -- Redskins destroy the Lions...the closest the Leos have ever been to the Super Bowl :cry:
3. 1993 NCAA Basketball Title Game -- THE Timeout :oops:

Honorable Mention:
2008 Stanley Cup Finals, Game 5 -- Penguins win in 3OT including a game-tying goal in the last minute of regulation. I was there and could've watched the Wings skate the Cup in person but they did win in Game 6 back in Pittsburgh. Wasn't the worst loss in the grand scheme of things...just missed out on what would've been a cool moment to witness.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote: 3. Nebraska 33, Colorado 30 (OT) - Nov. 26, 1999
This is more of a personal pick. There's nothing particularly special about this season, except that it was my last as a CU student. The Buffs hadn't beaten NU since their MNC season in 1990 (they tied in '91), but they'd been closing the gap in recent years, losing the previous three games in the series by a total of 10 points. After trailing 24-3 at halftime and 27-3 heading into the 4th quarter, the Buffs looked doomed in this one. But a miraculous 4th quarter CU rally tied the game at 27-27 and actually gave them a chance to win at the end of regulation with a 34-yard chip shot FG. As Jeremy Aldrich was lining up for the game-winner, there were tears welling up in my eyes and I was hugging complete strangers in the stands next to me, saying "We're finally going to do it!" Oops. Or not. Wide right. NU gets a second life and wins it in OT. Fuck me. CU would go on to lose the following year's game in similarly heartbreaking fashion (making it 5 games by 15 points) before finally unleashing a decade's worth of frustration on the 'skers in 2001.
that was pretty bad. i remember watching that game in grad school....and thinking they are going to actually win this one.....Javon Green finally played like the stud he was...and not the Neu era weenie he turned out to be.
"
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

King Crimson wrote:
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote: 3. Nebraska 33, Colorado 30 (OT) - Nov. 26, 1999
that was pretty bad. i remember watching that game in grad school....and thinking they are going to actually win this one.....Javon Green finally played like the stud he was...and not the Neu era weenie he turned out to be.
I know I've mentioned it before, but the kicker to that whole story (no pun intended) is that I actually ate Thanksgiving dinner with Jeremy Aldrich's family the day before. He wasn't there - team meetings or something - but his step-brother is still a really good friend of mine. We don't talk about that game much...
"Keys, woman!"