Ohio State Ruh Roh

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Ohio State Ruh Roh

Post by SoCalTrjn »

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/n ... robe030711
Ohio State coach Jim Tressel was informed that several Buckeyes players were selling memorabilia more than eight months before the school claims it was made aware of the scheme
He lets cheating go on for 8 months before he informs anyone?

LOIC
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Re: Ohio State Ruh Roh

Post by Killian »

88 wrote:If the Yahoo! story is true, then Tressel is gonzers. And if the "knowledge" of the memorabilia infractions went beyond Tressel in April, then Ohio State is going to get shit-hammered, and properly so.
Hey, look at that! A fan of a school owning up to a story (if true) and agreeing that punishment is warranted.

Schmick is very confused right now.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

88 wrote:If the Yahoo! story is true, then Tressel is gonzers. And if the "knowledge" of the memorabilia infractions went beyond Tressel in April, then Ohio State is going to get shit-hammered, and properly so.
Rack the take. But...nobody circles the wagons like C-bus. What makes you think Vestie would get the axe? Were there significant rumblings when the original report came to light?
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

WolverineSteve wrote:Rack the take. But...nobody circles the wagons like C-bus. What makes you think Vestie would get the axe?
It seems like there were already a significant number of fans who wanted Tressel gone because his offense doesn't rack up impressive stats despite all the winning.
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
WolverineSteve wrote:Rack the take. But...nobody circles the wagons like C-bus. What makes you think Vestie would get the axe?
It seems like there were already a significant number of fans who wanted Tressel gone because his offense doesn't rack up impressive stats despite all the winning.
As opposed to being pissed at the dozens of players arrested during his time.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

IF Tressel is canned...who is the heir?
Killian

Post by Killian »

Bo Pelini. Quickest coaching "search" in recent history.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

apparently ohio state is having a press conference at 4 pm today to address this
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Maybe they can form a united front and get Josh Groban to sing You Raise Me Up.
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Only a 2 game suspension?

He knew his players were cheating before the start of the season and never told anybody about it. He, the head coach?

USC had an assistant coach who the NCAA said had learned that a USC player had cheated after the season, that players last season , and the coach has been barred from ever coaching in the NCAA again and the program was hammered by the NCAA.

This better not be over.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

two whole games?

I listened to Tressel's comments and came away with thinking...

there are lame excuses...there are really fucking lame excuses....

and then there's Tressel's excuse....I think I counted the word "confidentiality" 20 times during that 3 minute stuttering stammering mess.....what a fucking asshat
get out, get out while there's still time
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Post by Q, West Coast Style »

Ohio State fan, isn't this the excuse you've been wating for to run this guy? The vibe I've gotten over the years is that Buckeye fan has wanted JT fired but knew that his MNC and annual 10/11 win seasons made that impossible. Not unlike Michigan's dillema with Lloyd Carr all those years.

Well, here ya go.....
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

I also just read that tOSU has had 375 NCAA violations since 2000, most of them minor, but 375 violations. Amazing.
IF he withheld information to his superiors, he should be fired. It's bullshit enough that the NCAA allowed the 5 game suspensions to be deferred until next season, but tOSU should fire the jackass NOW and try to save face. The lies and coverup will only blow up in their faces.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

two good things from michigan fan's perspective:

1. ja tressel butt raped us all those years, but but but cheating blah blah blah wins were vacated anyhow so he was really only 2-1 against us.

1a. well, actual cheating. we only stretched for a few minutes.

2. THE GAME will be meaningful again once sanctions hit and 8th place in the big ten is on the line.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

That was painful to watch.
Q, West Coast Style
Eternal Scobode

Post by Q, West Coast Style »

Problem for JT and OSU is that most significant NCAA cases involve situations where the head coach "should have known" or "could have known" or "might have known" and this is a dead on "did know."
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

Q, West Coast Style wrote:Problem for JT and OSU is that most significant NCAA cases involve situations where the head coach "should have known" or "could have known" or "might have known" and this is a dead on "did know."

"should have known" = vacating all wins, 2 year bowl ban, 30 scholarships over 3 years and a 3 year probation

anything less than a punishment like that is further proof of NCAA bias
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Q, West Coast Style wrote:Ohio State fan, isn't this the excuse you've been wating for to run this guy? The vibe I've gotten over the years is that Buckeye fan has wanted JT fired but knew that his MNC and annual 10/11 win seasons made that impossible. Not unlike Michigan's dillema with Lloyd Carr all those years.

Well, here ya go.....
Didn't tOSU fire Earl Bruce after a 9-win season?
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Killian wrote:Bo Pelini. Quickest coaching "search" in recent history.
Brian Kelly should be available, in honor of Declan Sullivan.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Q, West Coast Style wrote:Not unlike Michigan's dillema with Lloyd Carr all those years.
Tressel's defenses at least knew how to stop mobile quarterbacks.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Q, West Coast Style wrote:Not unlike Michigan's dillema with Lloyd Carr all those years.
Tressel's defenses at least knew how to stop mobile quarterbacks.
So did his offense.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Killian

Post by Killian »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Killian wrote:Bo Pelini. Quickest coaching "search" in recent history.
Brian Kelly should be available, in honor of Declan Sullivan.
Last line of your signature.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

88 wrote:I am watching Ohio State's press conference. It doesn't add up. Tressel suggests that he got some "confidential" e-mails from someone (an attorney?) regarding a federal criminal investigation of a drug dealer, which implicated two of his players (Pryor?). He said he was worried about their safety, so he didn't contact the NCAA or notify the attorneys for Ohio State. I don't know if that makes any sense. But what appears to have happened is that Tressel forwarded those e-mails to someone else (I have no idea who). And if they were "confidential" he shouldn't have forwarded them to anyone.

The only thing that makes me feel better about the situation is that it appears to have been self-reported a couple of months ago. Tressel told someone in January that he had prior knowledge through the e-mails, and Ohio State immediately contacted the NCAA and self-reported a major violation. It looks like Tressel was the douche in this, and not Ohio State. But Tressel is Ohio State's douche. So I guess we'll see where this goes.
I agree, 88, Tressel's story doesn't line up well with the documentation released. And I don't know if he ever forwarded those emails to anyone, up until last month when OSU self-reported. What's disturbing is, in the first email dated April 2nd, the attorney (representing Eddie Rife, the owner of the tattoo parlor who was being brought up on the drug charges) writes specifically:

"I am being told [blanked out] and other players have taken signed Ohio State memorabilia to Eddie who has been selling it for profit. I don't know if he gives any money in return to any players."

And

"I have been told OSU players including [blanked out] have been given free tattoos in exchange for signed memorabilia."

Tressel responds: "Thanks.. I will get on it ASAP.."

Yet, no contact was made to anyone in the athletic department.

The next known correspondence is not until April 16th (two weeks later) when the attorney contacts Tressel and explains that all communication going forward is *confidential* based on it now being a federal case. The attorney warns against any players contacting Rife, as he is to soon be arrested by the feds (safety concern). He then lists out all the items that Rife has in his possession and that the players have been selling the items for small sums of money.

If that is the point at which Tressel claims there was an agreement of confidentiality (April 16th), the fact that he did not report any of the allegations to the Compliance Dept from the time of the first email (April 2nd) is the big eye-opener. Is it possible that he spoke in more detail with the attorney on the phone and that the confidentiality issue was established earlier? Is it possible in that same timeframe he asked the players mentioned about the memorabilia and they lied to him and denied the whole thing? Hmmmm...

Either way, Tressel's mishandling of the situation will most likely cost him more suspended games and possible forfeiture of the 2010 season. It appears that the OSU athletic dept are on top of things with regard to self-reporting all this in a proactive and cooperative manner. That, I would suspect, will help in avoiding any potential bowl or recruiting sanctions. Nonetheless, this looks like Tressel's black eye and I am frankly pissed the hell off if this is, in fact, his final story. Cuz it ain't lookin' good, Jim.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

oregon has to have the happiest fan base in the nation, I bet it was Nike money that dimed out ohio state. Tressel is dodging questions on tattoogate while kelly and knight are figureing out how to explain pay for play
Degenerate
Eternal Scobode

Post by Degenerate »

88 wrote:I do not know who "Doug Archle" is (name found on the e-mails).
Doug Archie is the Associate Athletic Director.

And Gee ought to be kept away from a microphone, like, forever. The public tongue bath he gave Tressel last night was embarassing.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Hindsight is always 20/20 but it's obvious that Tressel should have forwarded the email to Gene Smith on April 2 (if for no other reason than to cover his ass) and let Smith make the decision whether to inform the NCAA at that time. Not doing so puts Tressel in violation of his contract with tOSU and leaves his ass hanging out to be spanked. The fact that he knew about this on April 2 and didn't report it for 8 months is a significant violation, imo, especially when the NCAA cut them some slack regarding the implementation of the penalties imposed. As usual, the coverup/failure to report will be perceived as a more serious violation than the original infraction, as it should. The fact that Tressel has a long history of violations going back to his time at Youngstown State, and 375 violations at tOSU (including the Maurice Clarett fiasco), I think the NCAA could make a strong case for lack of institutional control that will fall directly in the lap of Tressel. In all likelihood, tOSU will not suffer any major penalties for these infractions because, afterall, they're tOSU, but they should dump Tressel and rid themselves of the problem...real or perceived. Tressel is the one who fucked up by not immediately reporting the violations to the AD, and Tressel is the one who should take the punishment. I agree with 88 that Tressel should, at the very least, be suspended for the same number of games as his players and be docked in pay for the 5 games.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Degenerate wrote: And Gee ought to be kept away from a microphone, like, forever. The public tongue bath he gave Tressel last night was embarassing.

no shit....Gee should have just had Tressel drop trou and give him a knobjob on the spot
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Killian wrote:Last line of your signature.
What the hell does that have to do with anything? It's an opinion, not a fact. Dumbfuck.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Degenerate wrote:And Gee ought to be kept away from a microphone, like, forever. The public tongue bath he gave Tressel last night was embarassing.
Yep, that was disgraceful.

Also extremely offensive was the inability of this "lawyer" who wrote Tressel to construct an email using proper structure, grammar, syntax and punctuation. Christ almighty,

Wolftard writes
emails better than this
dumbfuck "lawyer"
does !!
Holy bullet points !!
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Someone also please tell JT that brown on brown is an awful, awful look.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Also extremely offensive was the inability of this "lawyer" who wrote Tressel to construct an email using proper structure, grammar, syntax and punctuation. Christ almighty,
for the reals, reading those i would have thought this was a mock story had tressel not actually been suspended and fined, as well as the players' suspensions and all that.

aside from how you consider tressel's conduct as far as confidentiality and blah blah blah, how does he explain away that he knowingly used players who would have been suspended otherwise?
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

and oh, happy easter, guys.
Killian

Post by Killian »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
What the hell does that have to do with anything? It's an opinion, not a fact. Dumbfuck.

You know you can just hit enter to break up paragraphs and express different thoughts, right? Or just keep posting new messages like a spastic monkey. Either one.

I just want to remind you that when you directly engage me, sooner or later you have to recite your signature. Just reminding you in advance.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
What the hell does that have to do with anything? It's an opinion, not a fact.
For you, it's a way of life.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

M Club wrote:aside from how you consider tressel's conduct as far as confidentiality and blah blah blah, how does he explain away that he knowingly used players who would have been suspended otherwise?
He didnt' seem to have any clue how to answer when asked about that. You'd think in these press conferences these guys would rehearse answers to questions that will obviously be asked. He said something to the effect of "I played them because they were eligible." Umm, but they weren't supposed to be.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

88 wrote:The only thing that makes me feel better about the situation is that it appears to have been self-reported a couple of months ago. Tressel told someone in January that he had prior knowledge through the e-mails, and Ohio State immediately contacted the NCAA and self-reported a major violation. It looks like Tressel was the douche in this, and not Ohio State. But Tressel is Ohio State's douche. So I guess we'll see where this goes.
Tressel signed an NCAA certificate of compliance in mid September of 2010, which would mean indicate that he had reported any knowledge of possible violations. He did not report those violations.

Hopefully the NCAA comes down much harder that the "punishment" levied by The Ohio State University. It's an injustice that he is getting away with this scott free.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Heard a discussion of this over lunch. Apparently this will be considered a violation of NCAA bylaw 10.1 regarding unethical conduct. NCAA probably won’t be satisfied with 2 games and a quarter mil.

SoCalTrjn
2007 CFB Board Bitch

Post by SoCalTrjn »

M Club wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote: Also extremely offensive was the inability of this "lawyer" who wrote Tressel to construct an email using proper structure, grammar, syntax and punctuation. Christ almighty,
for the reals, reading those i would have thought this was a mock story had tressel not actually been suspended and fined, as well as the players' suspensions and all that.

aside from how you consider tressel's conduct as far as confidentiality and blah blah blah, how does he explain away that he knowingly used players who would have been suspended otherwise?
He wanted to win games and hoped that no one would find out that his players were breaking the rules.
vacate all the wins from the years that those players were involved in selling their stuff, rule all the players involved ineligible for life from NCAA athletics, dock the program 30 scholarships for each player involved, 2 year bowl ban for each player involved, 3 years probation for each player involved, Tressel banned from the NCAA for a year for every year he turned the other cheek on and didnt kick off the team. Anything less is injustice

From today`s Arizona Republic:

- Antonio Pittman, a former Ohio State standout now in the NFL, posted on Twitter after news of the memorabilia scandal broke that it was "silly" because "Cats been gettin hookups on tatts since back in 01."

Oh really?

- Pryor was pulled over three times by police while driving loaner vehicles. The school - surprise! - cleared him of any wrong-doing, even though the Columbus Dispatch reported that the school had received an anonymous letter saying players were exchanging memorabilia for loaner cars.

And the paper noted "about two dozen autographed jerseys" hang inside the office of a dealership involved in loaners. One of the signed jerseys is Pryor's.

- Quarterback Troy Smith was suspended for the 2004 Alamo Bowl and the first two games of the 2005 season for allegedly accepting money from an Ohio State booster.

- Even when Tressel was at Youngstown State his quarterback, Ray Isaac, was accused of getting cars from boosters, although a few years passed before the school acknowledged the infractions.

Hey, if this whole coaching thing doesn't work out, it sounds as if Tressel could use his contacts and those sweater vests in his next job as a used car salesman.

LOIC
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Yeah, Tressel's excuse is a "whopper".....not to mention bullshit.

http://msn.foxsports.com/collegefootbal ... use-030911
Tressel's excuse is a whopper

Now THAT’S an excuse.

Why didn't Ohio State coach Jim Tressel come forward when he found out several of his players were violating NCAA rules regarding improper benefits?

Well, you see, there was this ongoing federal criminal drug trafficking case! And an attorney asked him for confidentiality! He was worried for people's safety!

You can't make this stuff up. (Seriously. You can't, right?)

You think you've heard excuses, in college athletics? THAT'S an excuse. It rivals Jake's in "The Blues Brothers."

(My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake! A terrible flood! Locusts!)

Why didn't Jim Tressel tell anyone his players had received improper benefits? Well, you see, there was this federal criminal drug trafficking case ...

And yet, as he said it, he had me.

“I was scared,” he said.

“My focus was on the well being of the young people,” he said.

(You know, it was a federal criminal drug trafficking case!)

And I was with him. (Oh, Jake!)

Except ...

Except, well, Tressel’s previous knowledge of this might not have come to light at all had Ohio State not stumbled upon it while going over an "unrelated legal issue." (How’d you like to be the university official to come across that? How’d you like to make that phone call? How’d you like to get that phone call?)

And the way Tressel lectured everyone on ethics when his players were busted back before the Sugar Bowl.

And, if this is really such a humanitarian/federal investigation thing, why is he being charged with a major violation?

Don’t people understand where he was coming from?

Well, of course they do: “When you think of the body of work he’s put into this program, this profession,” OSU athletic director Gene Smith said, “when you think about who he is, there’s no question in my mind his decision came from the heart.”

Translation: The man has beaten Michigan eight times.

And yet, here we are. Ethics, again. Maurice Clarett, Troy Smith, Terrelle Pryor have all been busted for taking improper benefits. There was trouble at Youngstown State before that.

And this time, beyond the memorabilia-for-tattoos scandal, Tressel let his bosses be blindsided by the fact that for months, he knew.

“As time went on, in my mind what was most important was that we didn’t interfere with a federal investigation,” Tressel said.

Yes. The federal investigation. But when he keeps talking, what it boils down to is, he didn’t tell anyone because he just couldn’t think of anyone to tell. And so he sat on it.

He kept secret that he’d known, even after the story broke at the Sugar Bowl.

Suddenly, this is a much less great excuse.

His bosses apparently didn’t know that he knew. Not until they stumbled upon it. And yet, “We trust him implicitly,” Smith said. Uh huh.

A sweater is a strong symbol. No, really. Mr. Rogers wore one.

And you wonder whether the sweater, and the professorial specs, and the iconic silver helmets, unblemished by anything but Buckeye leaves, are why we look at Tressel the way we do.

When for anyone else, the stats might give a different impression of a program. Of a coach.

Gordon Gee knows his symbolism. A university president, he models his wardrobe after Orville Redenbacher’s. Perfect.

He has great faith in his school’s football coach, in part, because Tressel gives his players a copy of The Gettysburg Address. Of course.

When asked whether his coach’s job was ever in jeopardy, Gee was emphatic in Tressel’s defense.

Want more in-depth coverage of Ohio State football? Check out insider information, forums and exclusive video on Buckeye Sports.

Not an OSU fan? Find your team at Scout.com.

“I’m just hopeful the coach doesn’t dismiss me,” Gee said.

He was making a joke. We think.

But Tressel will pay a $250,000 fine (in itself, a statement of these coaches’ power, that they make enough to pay a fine like that). And he will be suspended two games, three fewer than the players he, um, “advised” to return to school in order to face the music.

This is the latest fad, suspending coaches for games. In theory, it’s meant to be the ultimate embarrassment.

But it doesn’t seem to work out that way.

Hey, which big-time college coach hasn’t been suspended for a couple of games lately?

Of course, the rest of them are amateurs. Some come off sleazy. Others are defiant. But this? This had style.

Hey, he took the high road in breaking the rules. There was this federal criminal drug trafficking case ...

Now THAT’S an excuse.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

it's all about the kids....