Christmas Dinner

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

Re: Christmas Dinner

Post by missjo »

trev wrote:By the way, the pork on Christmas is wrong. Beef on Christmas. But if someone else is cooking, I would not complain.
I don't know what weird freak assed world you live in
But Christmas time always means Pork
either Regular Roasted or as Ham
unless of course you're Jewish, Muslim or Vegetarian :shock:
You just can't fix stupid...trust me I've tried
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Yeah, last I checked, ham, a yuletide staple, was still pork.

Cut her some slack -- she's not very bright.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Dinsdale wrote:Yeah, last I checked, ham, a yuletide staple, was still pork.

Cut her some slack -- she's not very bright.
and your reading comp needs some work.

she said pork, then offered 2 forms that pork comes in. she did not say ham was not pork.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Pork is pork, even if you call it ham or earmarks.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

In my world pork loin is different than ham. It tastes different for one.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

trev wrote:In my world pork loin is different than ham. It tastes different for one.
The above shows you're prone to horrid grammar, so you might want to use that in your defense of:
trev wrote:pork on Christmas is wrong. Beef on Christmas.

Since probably at least half of everyone who does up Christmas dinner serves ham... which is a type of...

pork.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

trev wrote:In my world pork loin is different than ham. It tastes different for one.
Ever had a "smoked" pork loin?

BTW, beef brisket tastes a lot different than a filet mignon, doesn't it?
But they're both undeniably beef.

Variety is the spice of life and stuff.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

In the past, I've served up a spiral ham along with roast beef. But the last couple years there haven't been enough people for both. I'll make pork loin on a week night dinner, but pork loin isn't special enough for Christmas.

comma for dins.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

trev wrote:
comma for dins.

And then you can substitute "from" for "than"...

and then teach Mikey what you learned.

Slow-smoked pork loin is awesome... might go grab a chunk-o-pork at halftime and fire up the ECB.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

OK guilty.

:oops:

BTW, I'm right now munching on my coonass black eyed peas with ham hocks and andouille with some stoned wheat thins. Shit came out great for a first try. A little on the salty side, though, but not badly. Made the mistake of adding salt before the ham hocks and sausage had a chance to completely cook out.

Slow cooking the leftover prime rib bones and a few scraps in the oven with bbq sauce. It's been in there about 3 hours at 200 deg. Think I'll turn it up to 225 until it's falling off the bone.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:200 deg

Rack

Been on a kick lately...

learned a new trick. Cut potatoes into about 1/4" slices, quartered those, greased a baking pan, then spread them in it. Then, used Rattle-Can-Grease in one of its few shining applications, and coated the top.

But I got all experimental and shit, and stuck them in the oven at... OK, I don't remember, but I think 250, and left it for about a half hour, which dried them out a bit. Then as I fixed other breakfast shit, I cranked them up to 450 for a bit (20 minutes, maybe?), after flipping them.

Pretty good, for having not used a fryer. Nice and light.

Topped it with sunny eggs that I broiled for a short time, cheddar, some turkey bacon, and some thrown together gravy that came from ground beef and a bitchin chicken-beef soup broth that I stole from the fridge.

Pretty deece country skillet (is what it's called around here anyway).
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

That skillet sounds pretty good.

I've got a navel orange tree that has about 150 ripe oranges hanging on it right now. Not huge, beautiful looking fluorescent colored navels that you get in the store and have a 50% chance of being dried out inside, but medium (sometimes small) unevenly colored ugly ducklings that are the sweetest, just tart enough, juiciest oranges you could ever taste. Amazing how a good orange can be incredibly sweet but slightly tart at the same time.

Picked about 50 of them yesterday and juiced all but five, making a gallon of perfect fresh OJ. Mixed it with some medium quality Napa brut to make mimosas this morning for the OL and me. Eggs over easy, 1/2" slices of Virginia ham slightly browned in a pan, sourdough toast, and some satsuma mandarins and fresh pear slices made up our breakfast, topped off with double chocolate muffins and coffee.

The left over prime rib bones and scraps sat in the oven from about 10:00 a.m. until 3:00 p.m. at 200 deg. Added a bottle of bbq sauce at about 2:00 and turned it up to 250 at 3:00. By 6:00 p.m. when we dove into that shit the meat was falling off the bones. Have to say we made pretty good use of that entire roast.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

trev wrote:I'll make pork loin on a week night dinner, but pork loin isn't special enough for Christmas.
Maybe you're just not a very good cook? I'll serve an herb crusted pork loin to anybody for any occasion...and they'll fucking love it.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Dinsdale wrote:learned a new trick. Cut potatoes into about 1/4" slices, quartered those, greased a baking pan, then spread them in it.
Here's another potato trick. Cut them into bite sized chunks and boil them for about 5-7 minutes. Drain well and toss them in EVOO, chopped rosemary, garlic and S&P and spread them out on one or two foiled covered baking sheets (don't crowd them). Bake at 375 for about 40 minutes or until they are well crisped on the outside.

The end result is almost "puffed" potatoes. Crispy on the outside and melt in your mouth light on the inside.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

mvscal wrote:
trev wrote:I'll make pork loin on a week night dinner, but pork loin isn't special enough for Christmas.
Maybe you're just not a very good cook? I'll serve an herb crusted pork loin to anybody for any occasion...and they'll fucking love it.
I've got a recipe somewhere that uses fresh rosemary, garlic, salt, pepper, a little sugar, EVOO, a dash of cayenne and I think some thyme, but mostly rosemary and lots of garlic. Best pork I ever tasted, and it makes an incredible gravy as well.

The German restaurant I used to work at served one that used anise seeds. That was good too.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

mvscal wrote:
I'm sure I would f'ing love your pork loin. Geeez....Now there's a quote.
And...
I am sure you make it way better than I would make a pork loin. So, you are correct.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

mvscal wrote: Here's another potato trick. Cut them into bite sized chunks and boil them for about 5-7 minutes. Drain well and toss them in EVOO, chopped rosemary, garlic and S&P and spread them out on one or two foiled covered baking sheets (don't crowd them). Bake at 375 for about 40 minutes or until they are well crisped on the outside.

The end result is almost "puffed" potatoes. Crispy on the outside and melt in your mouth light on the inside.
Similar to my usual method.

The "new trick" was starting them at a lower temp to dry them out a little, then cranking it way up to crisp the outside.

I was pretty happy with the result -- a little closer to deep-fried texture than normally comes from the oven.

But it serves a lesson regardless -- if you don't try new things and accept the risk of failure that goes with it, you never learn those new tricks on your own, and have to rely on others.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I like to soak my potatoes sometimes in salt water to remove the starch to get a nice crispness on the outside. I do this with fries EVERY time. I don't do this when I want to do a simple roasted potatoo.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...