ACC/Big Ten Challenge predictions

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

ACC/Big Ten Challenge predictions

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Shine used to start these threads, but he's pretty much AWOL these days. So here we go, for all 3 people who care:

Monday, November 29
Virginia at Minnesota - 7pm ET on ESPN2

Tuesday, November 30
Iowa at Wake Forest – 7 p.m. ET on ESPNU
Georgia Tech at Northwestern – 7 p.m. ET on ESPN2
Ohio State at Florida State - 7:30 p.m. ET on ESPN
Michigan at Clemson – 9 p.m. ET on ESPN2
North Carolina at Illinois - 9:30 p.m. ET on ESPN

Wednesday, December 1
Indiana at Boston College - 7:15 p.m. ET on ESPNU
NC State at Wisconsin - 7:15 p.m. ET on ESPN2
Purdue at Virginia Tech - 7:30 p.m. ET on ESPN
Maryland at Penn State - 9:15 p.m. ET on ESPN2
Michigan State at Duke - 9:30 p.m. ET on ESPN

That's 6-5 Big Ten, with Va Tech over Purdue as my upset special. Not so sure that'll happen but I can't go straight chalk all the way.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Re: ACC/Big Ten Challenge predictions

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

depends on which games Hightower is officiating...

I actually have the Big 10 7 ACC 4...seeing as though I think the Big 10 is already 3-0 v the ACC before the Challenge
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

Another year, another "challenge" where ACCPN has the matchups tilted toward the atlantic. In a year where the Big 10 is head and shoulders above every other conference and the ACC is as down as I can ever recall (seriously, the drop from Dook to ACC #2 team is STEEP) I can't believe the Big 10 has a high potential to lose.

UVA at Minnesota: Easy win for the Gophers here. Big 10 up 1-0

Iowa at Wake Forest: Iowa is big bowl of bad again. Tied 1-1

Georgia Tech at Northwestern: I'm not nearly as sold on the Wildcats as most of the talking heads seem to be but I still think they win this game at home against a Tech squad that is mediocre at best. Big 10 up 2-1

Ohio State at Florida State: Loaded Buckeyes too much and a wasted matchup. Big 10 up 3-1

Michigan at Clemson: give scUM a punchers chance here but I likes me some Brad Brownell. Big 10 up 3-2

UNC at Illinois: the second best matchup this year as the Heels are better than they showed in PR and Illannoy has a tendency to lose games they shouldn't. I'll give the Illini the edge here but won't be the least bit surprised if UNC pulls it out. Big 10 up 4-2

IU at BC: the slight edge goes to BC for being at home but I'm going with the heart over the head here and picking my Hoosiers. IU is well on their way back to the top of the hoops landscape and it won't be long before we're back to playing the UNC/Dooks of the world in this event. The first road test can be brutal sometimes though so a BC win here is quite possible. Big 10 up 5-2

NC State at Wisconsin: a very good and underrated matchup but I'm going with Bucky at home. Big 10 up 6-2

Purdue at Virginia Tech: here's where the ACC makes a late run to either win this thing or keep it close. Purdue is WAY overrated this year. Hummell was the most critical of their big 3 players and losing Kramer hurts more than most realize. PU is essentially a 2 man team surrounded by role players. The Hokies will compete with UNC for 2nd in the ACC and at home their guard play and athleticism will win out. Big 10 up 6-3

Maryland at Penn State: PSU is once again a one man team, Maryland wins. Big 10 up 6-4

MSU at Dook: clearly the marquee game but Izzo led teams in Nov/Dec just aren't the same as the March/April versions. Oh yeah and Dook is really, really, really good too. Plus they're at home. If these teams meet again late in the year on a neutral court I may lean green but here I'm going with the Hazzard County boys. Big 10 wins 6-5.

So I've got the Big 10 barely winning but I'm also giving IU a victory that is very much in doubt. As things stand now I'd say these two conferences could end up playing a game head to head that REALLY matters, because the two best teams I've seen so far are tO$U and Dook. A game in early April between them wouldn't be a shock.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Iowa at Wake Forest: Iowa is big bowl of bad again. Tied 1-1
Umm......you realize Wake is just as bad, if not worse, right?
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Monday, November 29

Tuesday, November 30

Wednesday, December 1

Key games for the Big-10:

Iowa at Wake Forest
Indiana at Boston College
NC St at Wisconsin

Big-10 goes 7-4.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Monday, November 29

Tuesday, November 30

Wednesday, December 1

Big Ten 6
ACC 5
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

And that is why you are Minnesota. Good lord.

ACC 1-0
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

up 10 at half...unreal...outscored by 18 in the 2nd half...wow
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

UVA shot the lights out. Gotta give em some credit.

That game was supposed to be in the bag for the Big Ten. Things are going to get interesting now.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

If by "interesting" you mean the ACC wins this event again, then yes.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

I will not be surprised to see the Big-10 go 4-1 or 5-0 tomorrow. Some good matchups in our favor.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Shine wrote:If by "interesting" you mean the ACC wins this event again, then yes.
Not necessarily. I'm changing my Indiana/BC pick to Indiana. Boom. Big Ten still wins 6-5.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Wow, Wake is horrible
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

TheJON wrote:Wow, Wake is horrible
Yes they are....and they're now leading Iowa by 3 in the second half.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Another Big Ten choke job.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Iowa drops one to Wake, 76-73, and blew a 19 point lead. The Hawks have no inside presence...nothing new there...and McCaffrey is going to need a couple of good recruiting years. At least they may be more fun to watch this year and can hopefully pull off an upset or two during the conference season.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Iowa basketball is cursed. Good lord, there has not been 1 single game winning 3 pointer not go down against us in 12 years. Unreal how many game winning 30 footers beat us.

Wake went nuts in the 2nd half. They had 11 points with 5 minutes to play in the first half and ended up with 76. Not good.

Had a great opportunity to put the game away in the first half but just couldn't make an open jumper late in the half and then they got lazy and allowed 2 baskets with 20 seconds to play in the 1st half to cut the lead to 12 at half. Big difference between a 16 point lead and a 12 point lead. Much like the LBSU game last week, we just couldn't make a big shot in the end. Gatens' 3 was in and out- just wouldn't go down.

Wake had to have shot 75 percent in the last 25 minutes of play. Too many stupid fouls. Jarryd Cole is the worst 4 year starting big man I have ever seen. His basketball IQ is very low.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Shine wrote:The Hokies will compete with UNC for 2nd in the ACC
I admire the take but I love seeing Seth Greenberg crash and burn and I expect this season to be no different.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Illinois looks no different from last year. Overrated. Still soft and schizo.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Holy shit, the weasels might've locked this thing up for the 10.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

LOVE IT...both Clemson and UNC get punked...

now all I need is an MSU victory and I can talk junk like no one's business around these parts...

COME ON IZZO
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Sorry, bro. Not gonna happen.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

IU keeps getting within 4 or 5 of BC but can't turn the corner. I like how Crean has these guys scrappin'.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Wisky up 77-38 on NC ST with 7 to play. :shock:
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

That fucking Va Tech/Purdue game hurt my fucking eyes...

all they needed was Bo Ryan and they would have had the 3 biggest dick bag coaches in the country in the same place...I love watching Seth Greenberg melt...
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

If you would've told me that MSU's top 3 scorers would pretty much be non-factors in this game, I would've predicted a 20+ point blowout. Kyrie Irving was the man for Duke, but MSU really beat themselves tonight. They have more depth than Duke and will beat them on a neutral floor in April.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

buckeye_in_sc wrote:I love watching Seth Greenberg melt...
2rd
Dreams......Temporary Madness
stuckinia
2012 NFL Picks Champ

Post by stuckinia »

The start to this season has officially bumped me off the Seth Greenberg bandwagon. Compete for 2nd in the ACC my ass. What a horribly undisciplined, lacking fundamental, shitty team. Hit a fucking free throw for Christ sake!
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

stuckinia wrote:The start to this season has officially bumped me off the Seth Greenberg bandwagon. Compete for 2nd in the ACC my ass. What a horribly undisciplined, lacking fundamental, shitty team. Hit a fucking free throw for Christ sake!
I haven't seen more than 10 seconds of Va Tech this year, but is that Delaney kid still jacking up 40 shots a game? I remember last year against Iowa that's pretty much all they did. He misses 5, then hits 2, misses 5, hits 2........or at least that's what it seems like every time I saw them play last year.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

L45B wrote:IU keeps getting within 4 or 5 of BC but can't turn the corner. I like how Crean has these guys scrappin'.
My Hoosiers clearly looked like a still coming together team playing their first game outside of Assembly Hall last night to start the game. I'm proud and optimistic about the way they battled back though, because last year the 14 point halftime deficit would have exploded into a 30 point ass whoopin. Future is mighty bright in Bloomington though.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

stuckinia wrote:The start to this season has officially bumped me off the Seth Greenberg bandwagon. Compete for 2nd in the ACC my ass. What a horribly undisciplined, lacking fundamental, shitty team. Hit a fucking free throw for Christ sake!
Have you seen the rest of the ACC? Yes, they will compete for second in that conference this year. The drop-off from Dook to ACC #2 team is akin to the hottie drop-off from Jessica Alba to Jessica Tandy.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Shine wrote:Have you seen the rest of the ACC? Yes, they will compete for second in that conference this year. The drop-off from Dook to ACC #2 team is akin to the hottie drop-off from Jessica Alba to Jessica Tandy.
Exactly. Greenberg couldn't bag Jessica Tandy.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I look forward to Greenberg's annual March Melt.

Shouldn't have lost at home to Purdue in OT, dick.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Shine wrote:
L45B wrote:IU keeps getting within 4 or 5 of BC but can't turn the corner. I like how Crean has these guys scrappin'.
My Hoosiers clearly looked like a still coming together team playing their first game outside of Assembly Hall last night to start the game. I'm proud and optimistic about the way they battled back though, because last year the 14 point halftime deficit would have exploded into a 30 point ass whoopin. Future is mighty bright in Bloomington though.
You've been saying this for a decade.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

I don't know why after all these years of you posting gibberish that I'm still amazed at your stupidity Jon, but I am.

Congrats, I guess.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Shine wrote:I don't know why after all these years of you posting gibberish that I'm still amazed at your stupidity Jon, but I am.

Congrats, I guess.
So you haven't been saying "we're gonna be awesome" for 10 years? You have. Shut up.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

Let's see the last 10 years of IU basketball would be:

The 6 years of the Mike Davis error, Sampson's 2 years (not quite), and the first two years of Crean's tenure. I had optimism about Davis early and then openly despised the man for the final 3 years. Thought with a real coach in Sampson we'd turn around yes, but the man couldn't resist reaching out to touch someone. When Crean took over we had ZERO scholarship players and were using multiple baseball players as walk-ons who saw regular action. So yeah I guess I was pretty pumped about that.

Yep, been saying the same thing all along much like Harrison Barnes and Matt Gatens are similar.

Tard.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Yep, been saying the same thing all along much like Harrison Barnes and Matt Gatens are similar.
They are similar. You're just too stupid to understand the comparison.

You should probably try graduating high school the next time around. And if you did graduate high school, I would like to petition the state of Indiana to close down whatever high school it was you did attend.

After all these years you are still S-T-U-P-I-D