An Ironman triathlon is hard

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

An Ironman triathlon is hard

Post by Rack Fu »

Finished Ironman Florida today in 11:53.

2.4 mile swim in 1:06
112 mile bike ride in 5:42 (windy and cold conditions made my 5:30 wish time unattainable)
26.2 mile marathon in 4:37

Not bad for a 40 year old.

I wanted to finish sub-12 with 11:30 being my perfect day. Finished in 11:53 - no way I was going to do 11:30 given the wind for most of the course and my T1 snafu.

- Not a fan of mass start swims. 2,700 people hitting the water at once. Got the shit beaten out of me for the first 20 minutes.

- I have to give massive props to one IMFL volunteer. Never caught her name but she was a lifesaver. One of the watch bands to my Garmin 310XT (GPS watch) broke when the wetsuit stripper took of my suit. That thing is my lifeline on the run. No pace and HRM would completely throw off my game. Yes, I'm a slave to technology. I was really bummed (the simple solution of carrying it never crossed my mind - although not an ideal situation anyway). My transition from swim to bike was over 17 minutes as I tried to figure out a way to rectify the situation. One female volunteer was wearing her 310XT and she came over to me, popped off one of her bands and gave it to me. That was all kinds of awesome! Not sure why she was wearing her 310XT if she wasn't racing/training but I'm sure as hell glad that she was. That's karma coming back to me as I gave some lady a pair of swim goggles before the race because she forgot her's.

- I have never run more than 18 miles at one time in my entire 40 years on this planet and that was about 4 weeks ago. Kind of worried how a 26.2 (after a 112 mile bike ride). I walked for about 15 seconds in every aid station that I stopped at (skipped maybe 4 or so). I only stopped to walk one other time for about 1 minute at around mile 11. Otherwise, it was all running for me. Finished the run in 4:37. Nothing earth shattering but I'm pleased with it.

- Chicken broth and cola were a god send.

- It was freakin' cold the second half of the run. Had to put on a long sleeve shirt.

- Saw some guy who shit himself. It was worse than the infamous pic that has been circulating the net for a couple of years. He ran past me and this god awful smell overwhelmed me. I was like, "What the hell is that?" Then I looked at the dude and there was shit everywhere. Dude just kept on trucking to the horrified delight of everyone. I'm speechless that he would continue. It's one thing if you're vying for the lead. It's another if you finish in 700th place or whatever. I wish I saw his bib # so I can buy his pictures.

- The run was miscalculated and was really 26.6 miles. Was the extra .4 miles necessary? I guess they moved the finish line down further down from previous years. If you move the line further down, don't you need to shorten the course somewhere else? How that piece of basic logistics slipped through the cracks is anyone's guess.
Last edited by Rack Fu on Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Re: An Ironman triathlon is hard

Post by Rack Fu »

And I'm going to pay dearly for this tomorrow and in the days to follow. My legs are fucking sore. I sat down and ate some pizza after crossing the finish line and I physically couldn't get up. I might want to hang myself tomorrow.
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

Props on the sub-12...outstanding!

Damn you're just an expensive polo shirt away from KC Scott's short list.
BarFlie
x-grunt

Post by BarFlie »

you young punks are outta yer freakin minds :x
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Rack Fu wrote:- Saw some guy who shit himself. It was worse than the infamous pic that has been circulating the net for a couple of years. He ran past me and this god awful smell overwhelmed me. I was like, "What the hell is that?" Then I looked at the dude and there was shit everywhere. Dude just kept on trucking to the horrified delight of everyone. I'm speechless that he would continue. It's one thing if you're vying for the lead. It's another if you finish in 700th place or whatever. I wish I saw his bib # so I can buy his pictures.
What's the big deal?

He was just dropping ballast.
Bucmonkey
2011 CFB Bowl Pic Champ

Post by Bucmonkey »

Congrats Rack...I've done a boatload of biathlons as well as a few centuries but a tri, and an ironman tri to boot...at 40? Much respect bro.
Go Bucs, Gators
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Y2K wrote:Props on the sub-12...outstanding!

Damn you're just an expensive polo shirt away from KC Scott's short list.
+1
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Props to Rack Fu for finishing and congrats on the sub 12. That's awesome.....stupid, but awesome all the same. :)
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

rack you, rack fu and rack the hell outta poopy pants even if he was in 700th place.

i'm sure i could finish an ironman....in a week.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Rack Fu wrote:- Saw some guy who shit himself. It was worse than the infamous pic that has been circulating the net for a couple of years.
Look guys, if PSUFAN can put that episode behind him, then so can we.

Grow up already.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

smackaholic wrote:and rack the hell outta poopy pants even if he was in 700th place.
No, not really. Poopy pants doesn't deserve any racks. I know you marathon and Ironman types are doing this out of some sort of moral servitude, but seriously, when you start shitting yourself, it's time to call it quits. The day I shit myself playing hockey is the day I stop playing the sport.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
smackaholic wrote:and rack the hell outta poopy pants even if he was in 700th place.
No, not really. Poopy pants doesn't deserve any racks. I know you marathon and Ironman types are doing this out of some sort of moral servitude, but seriously, when you start shitting yourself, it's time to call it quits. The day I shit myself playing hockey is the day I stop playing the sport.
No shit.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

The online triathlon world is scurrying to find pics of Mr. Poopy Pants. I'll post 'em when I see 'em. :D

I saw him around mile 4 and he had already shit himself. I just had a volunteer at one of the run aid stations say they saw (and smelled) him four times as it was an out & back run course done twice.

That means he probably ran about 23 miles covered in shit.

mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Rack Fu wrote:I saw him around mile 4 and he had already shit himself. I just had a volunteer at one of the run aid stations say they saw (and smelled) him four times as it was an out & back run course done twice.
Don't they have water hoses at any point on the route? Seems like dude could have taken a quick pit stop to hose off and get back in the race.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Toddowen wrote:
Rack Fu wrote:26.2 mile marathon in 4:37
That's not bad. Especially after doing the previous two test.

I've got to talk to the bro. He has a pic of him crossing the finish line in the LA marathon in about 5 hours that he proudly displays above the TV set in his living room. He tells me I have no idea how difficult it is. He detected a bit of a laugh on my part, I think.

2 summers ago, I walked to my workplace to pick up my car that I'd left the night before. It's six miles away. I wanted to see how long it would take to walk. I've always been a brisk walker, so I wasn't straining myself at all. I even stopped for about three minutes to chat with someone along the route who offered a game of 1 on 1 hoops that I decided not to take up. It took me 1 hour and 20 minutes. I'm going to say an hour fifteen without stopping to talk like I did. And my route into work isn't a flat walk by any stretch of the imagination. There are two very long and steep inclines along the way. The steepest {Loggerhead hill} about 1/3rd of a mile in length.

I know I could keep that pace up for 26.2 miles. By my calculations, it would take me under 6 hours at just a brisk walking pace. I know I could crack 5 hours by just adding the occasional jog in.

5 hours? I'm still laughing.
Six miles in 80 minutes is a very fast walk, hell it's basically a slow jog - 13 minutes per mile. I'm going to call BS on your distance and/or timekeeping skills. Just sayin'.

A 4:37 stand alone marathon is nothing special. It's an average run for my age group for an Ironman (I think I was 200 out of 403 in the M40-44 group and 955 out of 2502 overall).

I could probably do sub-4:00 fresh.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

mvscal wrote:
Rack Fu wrote:I saw him around mile 4 and he had already shit himself. I just had a volunteer at one of the run aid stations say they saw (and smelled) him four times as it was an out & back run course done twice.
Don't they have water hoses at any point on the route? Seems like dude could have taken a quick pit stop to hose off and get back in the race.
They have water (in cups) at every aid station that he could have rinsed himself off. He ran by 20 something of those and didn't bother. Not to mention that we ran by hundreds of houses. I'm sure some drunk redneck would've hosed him off. I saw a fire hydrant flowing a street away somewhere during the run. Hell, the fucking Gulf of Mexico was a 100 yards away for a good portion of the run.
Grass Clippings
Crack Whore

Post by Grass Clippings »

Did you like it when I tried to trip you up in the final mile? Yeah, that was awesome. Next year I'm gonna shoot some grass seed steroids and FUCK YOUR SHIT UP.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Rack Fu wrote: Not to mention that we ran by hundreds of houses. I'm sure some drunk redneck would've hosed him off.
That's what I thought. Somebody could have radioed ahead and had a garden hose standing by. I mean unless the guy wanted to run 22 miles cocooned in his own shit.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Rack Fu wrote: I might want to hang myself tomorrow.
If you had an oz of integrity you would have done that the day before you became a brownshirt you fucking thug.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Update on the shitter:

He finished in 9:09, won his age group (M25-29) and obviously qualified for the 2011 Ironman World Championship in Kona. He was 35th overall and 13th amongst the amateurs.

I hope it was worth the lifetime of ridicule coming his way.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Rack Fu wrote:Six miles in 80 minutes is a very fast walk, hell it's basically a slow jog - 13 minutes per mile. I'm going to call BS on your distance and/or timekeeping skills. Just sayin'.
Its a little over 4.5 MPH. I'd be jogging, not walking.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Grass Clippings wrote:Did you like it when I tried to trip you up in the final mile? Yeah, that was awesome. Next year I'm gonna shoot some grass seed steroids and FUCK YOUR SHIT UP.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Fucking RACK! this troll

And a 2 mile swim? where the fuck were the sharks when they could have come in handy?
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Cuda wrote:
And a 2 mile swim? where the fuck were the sharks when they could have come in handy?
I heard some people say they saw some small sharks. I just saw jellyfish and a stingray.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Rack Fu wrote: I just saw jellyfish and a stingray.
You should have pulled it up out of the water- it was probably worth some bucks

WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I had a pimped-out Apple Krate when I was a kid -- the drum brake, the stick shift, and all.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Here is the one pic that has surfaced so far of the guy that shit himself. He's posing in front of the finisher's wall and proud as can be of his first place age group finish. The photo doesn't do it justice. The rear view shot (pun) was way worse.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Unless there's a fuckload of prize money involved, wash the shit off yourself right away. "I'll Just Get The Rest Later" is really never a good plan- unless perhaps you're excaping from a fire
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Cuda wrote:Unless there's a fuckload of prize money involved, wash the shit off yourself right away. "I'll Just Get The Rest Later" is really never a good plan- unless perhaps you're excaping from a fire
He's an amateur so no prize money. He did qualify for Kona which is the triathlon world's Super Bowl.

Still not worth it.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Here are the crapper's pictures: http://www.asiorders.com/view_user_even ... 01&BIB=266
Pay particular attention to 63701-688-005 & 63701-534-003.