The BEEF 'O'BRADY'S Bowl?
The KRAFT FIGHT HUNGER Bowl???

W. T. F.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Re: bowl projections

Post by TheJON »

Papa Willie wrote:
Jsc810 wrote:Oklahoma vs Oregon for the championship.

Image vs Image

Some interesting games, Iowa vs Boise in the Rose, Texas vs LSU, Miami vs ND, Penn State vs Missouri.

It will all change of course, but it is something to think about.
If Auburn cleans the rest of their table & then the SEC CG - they'll be in there with no problem. No way all of that will get turned down.
You won't beat Alabama, so this is a moot point.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Bama is not much worse. Your defense is still terrible. If you come into the game unbeaten, you can rest assured they'll take you a lot more serious than they did last year.

It will be for the conference title. Chizik vs Saban. I'll take Saban.
OUMO
Crimson Stooge

Post by OUMO »

Funny OU and UO play each other and OSU and OSU play each other.
Lascivio amo a champion hodie.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

There's a lot of football still to be played. That said, ND to the Champs Sports Bowl is just about the closest thing to a lock there is right now, in terms of bowl projections.

The Champs Sports Bowl gets the #2 Big East team or ND. ND, in order to be eligible, has to finish at least 7-5 and within 2 games overall W/L record of the #2 Big East team.

With Navy, Tulsa and Army still on ND's schedule, that should get them to 7 wins. The Big East is down this year, I have a problem seeing any Big East team go 10-2, and an even bigger problem with the possibility of a Big East team going 10-2 and not winning the conference.

In terms of in-person attendance, the only Big East teams that could compete with ND are West Virginia, the odds-on favorite to win the conference and get the BCS bid, and South Florida, only because of proximity of the campus to the Champs Sports Bowl site, but they're unlikely to be bowl-eligible this season. Nobody from the Big East brings the TV attention to the game that ND would.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Image vs Image

Some interesting games, Iowa vs Boise in the Rose, Texas vs LSU, Miami vs ND, Penn State vs Missouri.

Not sure how they come up with those projections. Some of BCS bowl teams with one loss aren't even leading in their own conferences.

Where's Michigan State, for example? Iowa still has to play MSU, Whisky and tOSU. If they run that table they would probably deserve a BCS bid, but will they? MSU has no losses and an easier schedule through the end of the regular season. They still have Iowa but have already beaten Whisky and MU, and don't have to play tOSU.

If Oregon wins out and Stanford finishes with just one loss, to the #1 ranked team, they would be just as deserving as a one loss Big 10 team and could be eligible.

If Oregon finishes the regular season unbeaten and Stanford
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Mikey wrote:

Image vs Image

Not sure how they come up with those projections. Some of BCS bowl teams with one loss aren't even leading in their own conferences.

Where's Michigan State, for example? Iowa still has to play MSU, Whisky and tOSU. If they run that table they would probably deserve a BCS bid, but will they? MSU has no losses and an easier schedule through the end of the regular season. They still have Iowa but have already beaten Whisky and MU, and don't have to play tOSU.

If Oregon wins out and Stanford finishes with just one loss, to the #1 ranked team, they would be just as deserving as a one loss Big 10 team and could be eligible.

If Oregon finishes the regular season unbeaten and Stanford
If Iowa wins out, they're going to the Rose Bowl as the Big Ten rep. Winning out is hardly a given, with their toughest conference games starting tomorrow and ending with tOSU....and with Minnesota in a bye week for week 12, but they'll be in Pasadena if they go 11-1.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

If Iowa wins out that makes tOSU a two loss team, at least. JSC's projection has Iowa going to the Rose Bowl and tOSU going to the Fiesta Bowl. Is it reasonable to think a two loss tOSU would get a bid to one of the big 5 games?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Coupla things...

I'm currently in Las Vegas (taking a break in the room with the hotties... because that is how I roll), and looking over the boards...

and yes, I know betting is based on popular opinion, rather than 100% on projected results, but the oddsmaker folks reallyreallyreally seem to think it's going to be OU and Oregon in the Trinket Bowl.

And I agree with Mikey on Stanford. And I have a hard time believing that Granddaddy is going to snub the PSAC in favor of BSU -- makes little sense. And leaving a 1-loss Furd out (assuming these prejections hold, which has a 0% probability) would be a travesty.

I'm sure I'll repeat this over the coming weeks, but whoever wins the B11 (assuming they don't play for the BCS) against the PAC Champ (or alternate)... it's the way it's meant to be. Kinda douchey, but I'm all for some guidelines for the BCS Bowls, which will hopefully be part of a better setup... except when it comes to the Rose. It's different. It's how it started.

This shit is a religion, right? Let's observe the oldest championship ritual in the history and evolution of the Church. Yeah, I know it wasn't always PAC/WCC vs B10... but it has been for a long time, once they found their calling.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Mikey wrote:If Iowa wins out that makes tOSU a two loss team, at least. JSC's projection has Iowa going to the Rose Bowl and tOSU going to the Fiesta Bowl. Is it reasonable to think a two loss tOSU would get a bid to one of the big 5 games?
No, I don't think a two loss tOSU will go to a BCS bowl.........but I was responding to your statement that "if Iowa runs the table, they would "probably deserve a BCS bowl, but do they?" My point was that they will be going to the Rose Bowl if they win out. Same is true for MSU.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

At this point in the season, it's still way too early to do all the "if this, then that" projections associated with the BCS, not to mention the entire bowl game scenario. That having been said, it's pretty obvious who they're projecting as BCS conference champions, based on BCS pairings:

ACC: Florida State
Big East: West Virginia
Big Ten: Iowa
Big XII: Oklahoma
Pac-10: Oregon
SEC: Alabama

And given that they project both Boise State and TCU in the BCS, it's probably a pretty fair assumption that they're projecting one of those teams as an automatic qualifier, given that they don't have to finish higher than #12 to be an automatic qualifier (and possibly might qualify as low as #16). With Auburn and tOSU as the other at-large entries, it's doubtful either of them is projected as an automatic qualifier.

I tend to agree with MIkey and Dins from the perspective that, assuming U&LU is in the BCS championship game, and assuming Stanford wins out (or possibly even loses one more game), it's extremely difficult to see the Rose passing on Stanford in favor of Boise State.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:South Florida, only because of proximity of the campus to the Champs Sports Bowl site, but they're unlikely to be bowl-eligible this season.
We took a nice step toward Bowl eligibility last night.

Agree that I don't see another Big East team going 10-2 outside of WVU.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Thinking about this... it's not completely impossible that Iowa and Zona could play for the Roses... think they'd let that happen?
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Papa Willie wrote:Image

Would the cheerleader to the right be cuter if she didn't have a man's mid-section and one of her nuts hanging out of her britches?
swoon

Screwedintheassagain
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Papa Willie wrote:Would the cheerleader to the right be cuter if she didn't have a man's mid-section and one of her nuts hanging out of her britches?
:shock:

Hell of a spot there. Must be an OU transfer.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote:Thinking about this... it's not completely impossible that Iowa and Zona could play for the Roses... think they'd let that happen?
I'm thinking that Zonies shouldn't be allowed in California at all, once they've all vacated at the end of the summer.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Andrea Edelson is clueless.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Carson wrote:Andrea Edelson is clueless.
I hope her prediction for us (Meineke Car Care Bowl) comes to pass before Schlabach's (St. Pete Bowl) does.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

I predict the Missouri Tigers will play in the Texas Bowl because all the other bowls pass over them in hopes some lesser team will be able to bring more fans.
why is my neighborhood on fire
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Bizzarofelice wrote:Missouri Tigers... some lesser team

Does not compute.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Bizzarofelice wrote:I predict the Missouri Tigers will play in the Texas Bowl because all the other bowls pass over them in hopes some lesser team will be able to bring more fans.
this is a problem the North schools not named Nebraska have always faced, indirectly. when the Cotton was XII #2 (sometimes #3 with OU and UT in BCS bowls), Alamo #4, and Texas or Houston bowl #8 or whatever. the Alamo would nearly always, given a choice b/ween equal teams, see the advantage to taking an ATM or Tech or even Poke State team over Mizzou or Colorado. you are just going to sell more seats and have more local/home team kind of buzz and happy merchants with Texas teams than, say, CU, which doesn't travel all that well.....and esp to Texas in December/Jan not real popular with CU fans.....and I guess MU from what you say (though you guys have a lot of Texas players, seems)....i figured you guys would travel pretty good these days.

roundabout way to say, with Baylor bowl eligible, a resurgent ATM and Tech one game away, MU could find itself on the cusp of the Insight.com (not bad) or whatever replaced Shreveport as the dreary weather/2nd tier gambling bowl site as the Cotton, Alamo, Texas may trend towards South teams.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

three years ago Lew PErkins promise to buy up any tickets his school didn't sell to the Orange Bowl and KU went there instead of Mizzou despite the Tigers having a better record and having whipped the Jayhawks.

the "travels better" excuse has been used on Mizzou a lot despite it being disproven.

[/whining]
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Dinsdale wrote:
Bizzarofelice wrote:Missouri Tigers... some lesser team

Does not compute.
you'll find out later this year when the Tigers play on the acid flashback known as the Oregon basketball court.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Bizzarofelice wrote:three years ago Lew PErkins promise to buy up any tickets his school didn't sell to the Orange Bowl and KU went there instead of Mizzou despite the Tigers having a better record and having whipped the Jayhawks.
Actually, KU only had the one loss and Mizzou had two, both to Oklahoma. That was the Orange Bowls rationale at the time, they wanted a one loss team, not necessarily the better team. Of course, it came out later that Perkins and KU agreed to buy any unsold tickets (up to 35,000).

Not sure how many they actually sold but it doesn't matter now. They won a BCS bowl and put a sign up on I-70 outside Lawrence proclaiming KU Orange Bowl champions.

Like I needed any more reason to want to go all Quantrill on that shit hole.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

your facts got in the way of my whining

HOW'S THAT ORANGE BOWL WORKIN' FOR YOU NOW, LAWRENCE?
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Heard a report just the other day (and it must be true cuz it was on the radio) that Kansas was still paying on its ticket obligation to the Orange.

FWIW, Mizzou packed 40,000 strong into that crumbling shit-pile on the Texas State Fairgrounds. Give TigerFan a reason to travel and we're in. Sorry, but the Show Me sensibilities of the natives will always defeat a bowl huckster's pitch that a late December, mid-week night game in fucking Shreveport is actually a good time.
Journalism Scholar Emeritus Screw_Marcus wrote:Oh OK, so what's legal and what's not determines if something is right or not?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Truman wrote: Sorry, but the Show Me sensibilities of the natives will always defeat a bowl huckster's pitch that a late December, mid-week night game in fucking Shreveport is actually a good time.
El Paso, here we come.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Bizzarofelice wrote: HOW'S THAT ORANGE BOWL WORKIN' FOR YOU NOW, LAWRENCE?
i'd be hard-pressed to name a more recent and precipitous fall from bowl BCS champ to KU 2010. Illinois went south pretty quick after losing to LSU in the 01 (?) Sugar Bowl for a couple years. they have of course bounced back to the 5-6 win Illini we might expect from Zook.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Sudden Sam wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
i'd be hard-pressed to name a more recent and precipitous fall from bowl BCS champ to KU 2010. Illinois went south pretty quick after losing to LSU in the 01 (?) Sugar Bowl for a couple years. they have of course bounced back to the 5-6 win Illini we might expect from Zook.
How the hell did that team lose to Minnesota last week?!
Meatgrinder North.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

King Crimson wrote:
Don't forget, Illinois went to the Rose Bowl that year as well, and have fallen pretty hard since then. Of course, Illinois went to the Rose Bowl only because tOSU wound up in the BCS championship game (IIRC, they were ranked 14th, the lowest possible rank for an at-large bid). Had Missouri and West Virginia taken care of business in the final week of that season, Illinois would've been out of the BCS picture.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

I haven't forgotten about Illinois because Mizzou beat them that year, as well. Beat two BCS bowl schools but didn't go to one because they lost to Oklahoma twice.