Grilled Figs with Manouri Cheese

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Grilled Figs with Manouri Cheese

Post by Mikey »

Manouri cheese is a fresh sheeps milk cheese made only in Greece.
If you ever have a chance to try some, do it.
It's somewhat similar to feta, but creamier and a lot less salty. It has a slight flavor or citrus.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/all-we ... nouri.html

I've been buying it occasionally from a vendor at the local farmers' market, and eating it in combination with sliced heirloom tomatoes, greek olives, EVOO and crusty sourdough bread. With a glass of red wine, this makes a fantastic Saturday afternoon lunch.

Last Saturday I went to the farmers' market and it seems like everybody's tomatoes suddenly came in, the place was flooded with them. Another thing that's suddenly in season here is figs. All kinds of figs. One local vendor suggested grilling figs and topping with crumbled gorgonzola.

I decided to try this with some manouri cheese, and the results were outstanding. I took some medium to large figs (not sure what varitey but they were greenish yellow) sliced them in half and grilled for a few minutes with the cut side down and the lid closed on the grill, until the surfaces were slightly browned by the grill. Turned them over and topped with crumbled manouri cheese, closed the lid and grilled for another minute or two until the cheese was starting to melt.

The figs were slightly carmelized on the outside, warm on the inside and the creamy cheese was a perfect compliment. This is a definite keeper. I should have taken some pictures but I didn't. If I do this again I'll post some pics.