Greatest Pitchers' Duels

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Greatest Pitchers' Duels

Post by Mikey »

Here are two historic MLB games where two pitchers battled until one finally allowed a run.

Anybody have any other good ones?

My first example is one that most baseball fans are already aware of. May 26, 1959, Pittsburgh Pirates at Milwaukee Braves. Harvey Haddix pitches 12 perfect innings. Bottom of the 13th a runner reaches first on E5. Sacrifice bunt, intentional walk and then a double to center field drives in the winning run.

Braves 1, Pirates 0

What a lot of people don't know is that Lew Burdette pitched 13 shutout innings for the Bravos.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes ... 5260.shtml

Second example - not as well known but almost equally amazing.

July 2, 1963. Milwaukee Braves at San Francisco Giants. Warren Spahn and Juan Marichal locked into a 15 inning scoreless duel. Marichal pitches a scoreless 16th inning. One out, bottom of the 16th, Willie Mays hits a home run off Spahn to end the game.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes ... 7020.shtml

When was the last time any pitcher pitched 15 innings in one game?
Cueball
2010 JAFFL Czar

Re: Greatest Pitchers' Duels

Post by Cueball »

Doesn't quite fit the criteria, but Morris v. Smoltz Game 7 in the 91 series should at least get some pub considering the magnitude of the game
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Cueball wrote:Doesn't quite fit the criteria, but Morris v. Smoltz Game 7 in the 91 series should at least get some pub considering the magnitude of the game

That game was epcot...the best duel I've ever seen.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Neither of the games I mentioned could possibly happen today because no manager would let any starter go that far into a game.

Didn't seem to bother Spahn, though, who won 363 regular season games in 21 seasons, or Marichal who won 243 in 16 seasons.

Would any of those guys be competitive in today's game?
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Mikey wrote:Would any of those guys be competitive in today's game?
Not for more than 6 innings a game.....they're just too old to go deeper into the game. Plus, I think Marichal might not be able to sustain that high leg kick for very many innings.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

There was a game a few seasons ago where Clemens and Carpenter both went 10 innings and I think the score of the game was 2-1.
Dreams......Temporary Madness