Glock Owners

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Re: Glock Owners

Post by BSmack »

I assume you've bench fired the weapon?
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Toddowen wrote:accuracy improves after the first few clips every time you clean the gun due to the rifiling grooves getting fouled a little with spent powder and lead.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Toddowen wrote: I figured either you or Dins would weigh in.

I've read this in American Shooter or Rifleman or one of those mags.

Don't make me dig up this issue.

Fouling does not improve accuracy and if you still have powder residue in your barrel after cleaning...well, you haven't cleaned it.

Breaking in a new barrel is something that is usually only important to long guns firing jacketed ammo. For a new pistol, I would fire it for 10 rounds or so, clean, rinse, repeat. You just want to prevent any minor imperfections that may be present in the new barrel from becoming a larger problem.

Hard to say what Scott's issue was without seeing his grip or his group. His sights could be jacked or maybe he had too much coffee.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Not a fan.

I won't argue that Glock's reliability record is outstanding, and they have a cult following.

I just don't like the way they feel in my hand (especially the compacts), don't like how close the slide gets to the meat of the thumb-joint, and what may be part of Scott's problem -- being light plastic, the shift in weight distribution as the clip empties makes for a little bit of a balancing act while shooting.

The high-capacity compacts are little more than a really high-end spray-and-pray.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

KC Scott wrote:LOL - uhh no.

No bench firing for pistols - at least not around anyone or anywhere I've seen or shot.

Rifles - different story.
How do you sight the weapon without bench firing? I've shot plenty of rifles but never pistols. I just always assumed you would do the same thing for both.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

BSmack wrote:How do you sight the weapon without bench firing? I've shot plenty of rifles but never pistols. I just always assumed you would do the same thing for both.

Most handguns don't have adjustable sights -- I believe you can order them on many (including Glocks). I think the theory is that they get knocked out of whack too easily by the holster.

Glocks do have those cool fixed night-sights, though (optional).

Hell, it's only like a 4" barrel on a spray-and-pray, fairly worthless beyond about 25 yards, and depending on the model, you can stuff 15 bullets in it -- who needs adjustable sights?
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Been shopping around for a new handgun. Right now all we have between Mrs. Rumps and I is a S&W hamerless .38. It's potent enough to protect, but I want to re-up my CHL and get a semi for the car.

Guys on my shift from work are raving over Springfield-Armory's XD line. I've held the .9mm and the .45 ACP. It's definitely heavier than the Glock, but still has a polymer frame. The weight actually helps eliminate the buck from what they say, so I'm thinking about going this direction for a new handgun. I'm leaning towards the .40 S&W version of the XD.

Any thoughts from you gun experts before I take the plunge.

As for Scott, I've broken in a new Glock with my pops-in-law and they really don't get in their groove until 300 rounds have been fired. In fact, the damn thing started jamming into the late 100s and we had to change the brand of shells. After another 150 or so rounds the Glock started to fire smoothly and the groupings were definitely getting tighter. This was my one and only experience with a Glock, so I'm not suggesting the same is in store for your gun, Scott. Just FFT.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

KC Scott wrote:Part of it is just the size of the grip - small - So I'm holding it a little different than I hold my SW 9 & 45

But to fit into the space it's sitting in, it was the perfect size
Try a Hogue Handall grip: http://www.getgrip.com/main/overview/handall.html

I have large hands and the grip on the .40 or 9mm guns seemed too small. The Hogue grip helped a lot. I don't have the same issue with my Glock 21 because the grip on the .45 is larger.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Dinsdale wrote:
Glocks do have those cool fixed night-sights, though (optional).
Trijicon night sights. I have those on my two Glocks (FBI requirement). I think they're like $100. Not sure if the average citizen needs them.
Rack Fu
Harvester of Sorrow

Post by Rack Fu »

Toddowen wrote:I'm not sure if they make laser grips for Glock if you're concerned about accuracy. Undoubtedly there's some rig out there to set a laser sight on a Glock. You'll pay dearly for one. Perhaps even more than you paid for the gun.
Glocks have rails already built-in. See the pic of this 19 for reference: http://www.glock.com/english/glock19.htm

That said, the laser sight is only as good as the person pulling the trigger. You still won't hit the broadside of a barn with it if your trigger pull sucks.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

It was weird, Scott. First 150 rounds or so we had no problems. Then every shell was jamming when the chamber would inject the new shell from the clip. We took the clip out and threw those shells away along with the box they came in. We took the remaining boxes back and exchanged them for a different brand. Don't ask me which brand because I don't remember. After the exchange, we had no more problems.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Go Coogs' wrote:It was weird, Scott. First 150 rounds or so we had no problems. Then every shell was jamming when the chamber would inject the new shell from the clip.

Probably common knowledge for everyone -- nevereverever put reloads in a Glock, any model, any caliber.

They just don't like it -- I think the tolerances in the reciever/barrel are tighter than most.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Toddowen wrote:Ah shit. Who am I kidding. I want just about any gun and every gun.
2nd.

I have a couple of friends who have over-the-top collections. One of whom I haven't seen in a while, but the other nut told me of his newest score...

A Ruger 10/22. Fine, cheap plinker. Now, you're asking "BFD, everyone andf their brother has a 10/22, it's the most popular gun in the country."

But this is no ordinary 10/22... after much licensing and purchasing tax stamps, this 10/22 was sent to a specialty shop, where the barrel was replaced with a long heavy barrel... with an integral silencer for most of the length of the barrel.

If you've ever heard a silenced (supressed) .22, it sounds pretty much like a fairly powerful pellet gun (same dude has a Ruger Mark 2 with a fixed silencer). Well, my 3rd party correspondent tells me with the new rifle, this isn't the case -- he said the action made a tiny little "click" (not nearly the mass of a bigger semi-auto, so it ain't like the clank from an AK or something), and there was a thump from the slug hitting the backstop (dirt mound)... and said there was absolutely zero noise from gas discharge... none.

Almost perfectly silent.

Cool.

I need to get over to dude's house and play with this wonderful form of amusement (that he paid wayyyyyy too much for).
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I think with the 10/22 (and SKS, and AK, etc), with the aftermarket big mags, you seem to get what you pay for.

Way back when, I shot a friend's 10/22 that had some plastic high-cap (don't remember how many) bananas, and they worked fine.

I've seen others that didn't.

Another friend had a drum on his... didn't work for shit, and if it did, things got awfully warm (don't try this with your cheap Marlin .22).
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Toddowen wrote:But I don't recall the thing ever jamming. I believe I only shot Federal through it because that's about all the local mom&pop harware store carried.

Last one I shot had the newer style factory rotary 10 shot mags... which worked flawlessly.

Matter of fact, I emptied 2 of those mags as fast as I could into a silhoughette on the 200 yard range. Couldn't see the little holes, even with the spotting scope, but when I retrieved it, I put 15 of them through the shaded part of the target.

I was pretty happy with that for a .22 at 200 yards.

I do OK with a rifle. Can't hit the broad side of a barn with a pistol.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

KC Scott wrote:Actually I've read Glocks can never be cleaned - not that I'd ever do it..
You really are a fucking dipshit.

My first Glock was a 19. It always pinched my little finger under the floor plate of the magazine when I shot it so I got rid of it. few years later, I bought another one- same problem- got rid of it too. Lesson learned. I will never buy another Glock.

Rear sights are pretty fragile too.
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

cleaning and over-lubricating aren't anywhere close to being the same thing- they aren't even anywhere close to being anywhere close to it.
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
DiT
Eternal Scobode

Post by DiT »

disclaimer,not a Glock fan,Sig fan myself.

anyways,change your ammo until one groups.
if that doesn't work,buy a Sig.
jiminphilly wrote:
SaladTosser wrote:What's going on here?

A few of us are ruining some tube socks.