All time Greatest Gold Shots (I Have Seen)

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

See You Next Wednesday
De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum

All time Greatest Gold Shots (I Have Seen)

Post by See You Next Wednesday »

Great goldf shots are not just the shot themself, but the context in which they are made. In no particular order:

- Justin Leonard's 70 foot putt to cap a rearkable US Comeback in the 1999 Ryder Cup

- Larry Mize's 150 ft. chip on the first playoff hole of the 1987 Masters to beat Greg Norman

- Tom Watson pitch out of the high, high rough on 17 at Pebble Beach to beat Jack Nicklaus at the 1982 U.S. Open

- Tiger Woods chip in from behind the green at 16 helping him go on and win the 2005 Masters

- Constantino Rocco holing out a 70 foot putt after chili-dipping his approach, to force a playoff with John Daly at the 1995 British Open.
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
- H.L. Mencken (1880 - 1956)
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Bob Tway holing a bunker shot on 18 to win PGA Championship
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Shaun Micheel's seven iron approach on #18 at Oak Hill is one of the best pressure shots I've ever seen.
get out, get out while there's still time
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Felix wrote:Shaun Micheel's seven iron approach on #18 at Oak Hill is one of the best pressure shots I've ever seen.
This is the view of the green Micheel had.

I took that pic during a practice round. It's roughly the same view of the pin that Micheel had. Though I think Micheel might have been a few yards further back. The Sunday pin position was in the middle and maybe 5 paces off the left. The view, as you can see, gave Micheel about a 2 yard window of error.

Here's the rest of my pics from the Wednesday practice round

I'd rate it as one of the best of all time.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

BSmack wrote:
What, the course, the tournament, or Micheel's shot?

Also, Nicklaus's 1 iron shot at #17 at Pebble Beach for the 1972 U.S. Open was pretty phenomenal as well.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Felix wrote:
BSmack wrote:
What, the course, the tournament, or Micheel's shot?

Also, Nicklaus's 1 iron shot at #17 at Pebble Beach for the 1972 U.S. Open was pretty phenomenal as well.
Micheel's shot. The course suffered from two weeks straight of rain, forcing rough conditions that were simply unplayable for even the strongest players. The tournament itself was fairly uneventful until the last 4 or 5 holes when the Shaun Micheel-Chad Campbell duel materialized.

Oak Hill is one of the great American golf courses, but the continuing comercialization of the majors is leading to heretofore unimagined competition for majors. Up to 2003, Rochester could bank on hosting a major every 10-15 years. Given that the US Opens and PGAs are already booked out to 2011, and Rochester has nary a sniff. I would not be shocked if Rochester's next major didn't happen for 20 years or more.

Some more great shots

Craig Parry's eagle on the first playoff hole of last year's Doral
Tiger making the green in 2 from the sand at the Canadian Open in 2000
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Pavin's 4 wood at Shinnecock
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

MuchoBulls wrote:Pavin's 4 wood at Shinnecock
Definitely one of the best.....
See You Next Wednesday

MuchoBulls wrote:Pavin's 4 wood at Shinnecock
Wasn't that at Riviera? Or are we thinking of different golf shots?
"As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron."
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

See You Next Wednesday wrote:Wasn't that at Riviera? Or are we thinking of different golf shots?
Definitely Shinnecock. I was there for that one.
See You Next Wednesday

MuchoBulls wrote:
See You Next Wednesday wrote:Wasn't that at Riviera? Or are we thinking of different golf shots?
Definitely Shinnecock. I was there for that one.
Yep, don't know why I was thinking Riviera. Maybe cuz Pavin used to own Riviera.