POM

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

POM

Post by Mikey »

Been drinking a lot of this stuff lately. It's supposed to be extremely high in antioxidants and stuff, but I just like it. At little too strong by itself, I mix it with about 1/2 to 2/3 water and pour it over ice. Very refreshing. It actually seems to give me a good burst of energy if I'm feeling sluggish.

It's pretty expensive at the local grocery store, around $5.00 for 8 oz., but Costco has it for about $10.00 for a 60 oz. bottle. Much more reasonable.

I can think of a lot of other things that would taste good mixed with it, if you're into fruity drinks. Tequila and OJ for a POM sunrise, white wine for a POM cooler, vodka, champagne, etc.

I just happened upon a recipe for pomegranate chipotle ribs that sounds awesome. I may try it this weekend.

http://www.thewickednoodle.com/2009/04/ ... back-ribs/

(The ribs are baked in the recipe, but here they will never see the inside of an oven unless it's just to keep them warm)
ppanther
Elwood

Re: POM

Post by ppanther »

I don't love champagne, but I DO love this cocktail:
1 bottle champagne
2 cups pomegranate juice
lemon slices (thin)
mint leaves (quite a bit)

Mix in pitcher, serve well chilled in champagne glasses. VERY tasty.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Mikey wrote:Been drinking a lot of this stuff lately. It's supposed to be extremely high in antioxidants and stuff, but I just like it. At little too strong by itself, I mix it with about 1/2 to 2/3 water and pour it over ice. Very refreshing. It actually seems to give me a good burst of energy if I'm feeling sluggish.

It's pretty expensive at the local grocery store, around $5.00 for 8 oz., but Costco has it for about $10.00 for a 60 oz. bottle. Much more reasonable.

I can think of a lot of other things that would taste good mixed with it, if you're into fruity drinks. Tequila and OJ for a POM sunrise, white wine for a POM cooler, vodka, champagne, etc.

I just happened upon a recipe for pomegranate chipotle ribs that sounds awesome. I may try it this weekend.

(The ribs are baked in the recipe, but here they will never see the inside of an oven unless it's just to keep them warm)
I wonder if they use genetically modified pomegranates?
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

smackaholic wrote:
Mikey wrote:Been drinking a lot of this stuff lately. It's supposed to be extremely high in antioxidants and stuff, but I just like it. At little too strong by itself, I mix it with about 1/2 to 2/3 water and pour it over ice. Very refreshing. It actually seems to give me a good burst of energy if I'm feeling sluggish.

I wonder if they use genetically modified pomegranates?
Great idea for a movie.

The pomegranate that ate Visalia.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

My wife is really into pomegranate cocktails now. She likes the pomegranate juice in champagne or a frozen pomegranate bellini with champagne, pomegranate juice and ice blended. I love pomegranate, but never get it because of the effort to eat them. I've tasted her pomegranate and champagne. Good, but so damn sweet.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

Indy, use a less-sweet champagne. Pomegranate juice (to me anyway) is usually tart, not sweet. The champagne cocktail I mentioned above is rarely too sweet, and I do NOT typically like overly-sweet alcoholic drinks.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Hmm...I'm not much of a champagne drinker, but I do know it is a dry champagne that I use and not a sweet.

I think the problem is I use a shitty pomegranate mixer. I use Rose's Pomegranate Twist. It has no pomegranate juice in it. It's a fake.

Ingredients: WATER, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CITRIC ACID, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, SODIUM BENZOATE (PRESERVATIVE), SODIUM CITRATE, RED 40, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA (TO PROTECT FLAVOR), BLUE 1.

Description: Pomegranate Twist - Sweet and tart, Pomegranate Twist is the simple answer to the trendiest cocktail flavor around the globe.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Good call. If you want to make a pomegranate drink you might want to try using pomegranate juice.

:doh:

POM ingredients:

100% Pomegranate Juice

To me it's both sweet and tart, similar to cranberry juice but not all that similar. Bottled cranberry juice has a lot of added sugar. And like I said it's too concentrated for my taste. Mix with about 50% water and it's great. I would suggest adding a little water to it before mixing with champagne as well, or maybe just not adding too much juice. I make a very tasty and refreshing wine cooler with 1/3 each POM, water and sauvignon blanc or chardonnay over ice.
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

:?

Indy, this is similar to your scenario:

"I don't like screwdrivers. They're WAY too sweet. But then again, maybe it's the concentrated orange-flavored punch I'm using as a mixer. Maybe I should try real orange juice?"
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Went to breakfast a couple of weekends ago at a place by the beach in Carlsbad. They serve a mimosa made with fresh red (blood) orange juice. That was very tasty.
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

That sounds fantastic. Champagne is typically not my thing at all, unless it's one of the brands I can't afford to buy. That is, unless you mix it with fruit juice. Then I could probably drink it all day! Which reminds me... I should start stocking up. 3 weeks and 2 days to go!!!!
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Not much of a champagne drinker here either, but I've been known to buy a bottle of White Star for special occasions.
Also, when out to brunch if the wife is into drinking a mimosa I will join her.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Mikey wrote:Good call. If you want to make a pomegranate drink you might want to try using pomegranate juice.

:doh:

POM ingredients:

100% Pomegranate Juice
Yeah, mut've been that RED 40 ingredient that fooled me. Of course, it wasn't for me so I bought the cheapest shit I could find that said pomegranate. :)

But I do like pomegranates. Just too much work to eat the fresh fruit. And I agree with Mikey that it is both sweet and tart.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Well, we don't have POM at our local grocery store, but we had this.

I gotta say....WOW! I have never had pomegranate juice before. I have been missing out on this stuff. Only drawback was it was $10.39 for a 32 oz. jar. Drinking it straight...[softball]it's like an explosion of flavor[/softball]. Cut it with some Ketel One...Awesome.

Making the wife some bellinis tonight.
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, try that. If not, try Target. Not kidding... at least around here, Target is trying to compete in the budget gourmet market. Pomegranate juice is a lot cheaper there than the regular grocery store, and is exactly the same thing.

Edit to add: I absolutely love eating pomegranates, and don't mind the "work" involved. My grandma had a couple trees in her yard, I LOVED visiting and coming home with bags of pomegranates. Sigh. Good times.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

yeah, i went to POM's website and they said super target had it. Unfortunately, an hour away for me.
ppanther
Elwood

Post by ppanther »

Do you have a regular Target nearby? I don't shop at a Super Target... the regular one down the street has Pomegranate juice. It's not POM, nor does it need to be. Look in the aisle with apple juice, etc.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

IndyFrisco wrote:yeah, i went to POM's website and they said super target had it. Unfortunately, an hour away for me.
You're getting lazy in your old age.

I figured being indy macguyver, you'd just plant a pomegranate orchard and squeeze your own.

Wrong climate?

Build a fukking greenhouse for it.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Not even sure what HFCS is, but, one thing I do know is that pom/cran juice WITH kettle one is especially kick ass.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

That would be High Fructose Corn Syrup.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

can ya get low fructose corn syrup?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Next thing you know smackie will be discussing how he really likes Virginia Slims better than those Marlboro Light 100s, 'cause they're slimmer and more glamorous.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

if i ever get stupid enough to start smoking cigarettes, i'm going all in with no filter camels, or something similar to get a really good case of lung cancer quickly. till then, it's just the occasional stogie when surrounded by other drunken idjits doing likewise. i could see myself someday maybe giving a pipe a shot. i do like the scent of some pipe tobaccos, plus i'd be like all smart and stuff.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

If you want to be smart you'll have to add the tweed jacket with elbow patches.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

and beard and john lennon glasses.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Sorry, you’d probably still more closely resemble the guy in your avatar.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

nah, he's got more hair.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

smackaholic wrote:nah, he's got more hair.
and smaller tits
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

ssssshhhhhh!!!!!!!!

PUSFAN might hear you.