Moderator: Dinsdale

fix
Eternal Scobode

8 mm metal spikes?

Post by fix »

Singh, Mickelson involved in metal spike flap

By DOUG FERGUSON, AP Golf Writer
April 9, 2005
AUGUSTA, Ga. (AP) -- Phil Mickelson bared his soles at the Masters.

The defending champion started his short day at Augusta National by making a birdie on the dangerous par-3 12th. Minutes later, he was stopped in the 13th fairway by a rules official who wanted to see the bottom of his shoes following a complaint by Vijay Singh that Mickelson's spikes were too long.

Their spat over spikes carried into the Champions Locker Room during a rain delay Friday, where two men with green jackets had a pointed confrontation about whether Lefty's shoes were damaging the greens.

``He expressed his concerns. I expressed my disappointment with the way it was handled,'' Mickelson said through his press agent, T.R. Reinman. ``I believe everything is fine now.''

Singh played in the group behind the defending Masters champion.

They resumed the first round on the par-3 12th, the scariest hole at Augusta. Mickelson hit his tee shot into 5 feet and made birdie, going to 3 under par. Singh hit his tee shot to about 25 feet on the same line and two-putted for par.

Mickelson offered an apology, but was angry about the timing of being stopped by two officials on one hole.

``They were sent by Vijay to check my spikes because he felt they were unduly damaging the greens,'' Mickelson said. ``If that's the case, I am very apologetic and will make every effort to tap down what spike marks I may make in the future. However, I was extremely distracted and would have appreciated if it would have been handled differently or after the round.''

Mickelson said more than one-third of the field is using metal spikes, especially because of the wet conditions.

Singh contacted a rules official while putting on the 12th green.

``He said on the 12th hole that someone in the group in front was tracking the green with his shoes,'' said Steve Rintoul, a PGA Tour rules official working at the Masters. ``When he looked at where the track was going, he figured out it was Phil.''

Mickelson hit his tee shot down the left side of the 13th fairway, and a rules official met him off the tee. Mickelson showed him his soles, one then the other. The official nodded, and Lefty kept walking.

Rintoul said another official on the 13th green watched for abnormal footprints, and found there was no problem.

But the debate apparently didn't end there.

``After sitting in the locker (room) for a while, I heard Vijay talking to other players about it and I confronted him,'' Mickelson said.

Singh, the 2000 Masters winner, left the course before he could be questioned.

Will Nicholson, chairman of the competition committee, knew about the complaint, but was unaware that Mickelson's shoes were in question or that Singh had turned him in.

``They asked to see if there was a burr on the side of his spikes,'' Nicholson said. ``There wasn't.''

Rintoul and Nicholson said Mickelson offered to change his shoes at the end of the first round. It was not clear if he started the second round with new shoes, or different spikes.

Callaway Golf spokesman Larry Dorman said Mickelson changed to 8 millimeter spikes sometime before The Players Championship, which was held two weeks ago. He had been using 6 millimeter spikes.

``He told our guys he was slipping at the Match Play,'' Dorman said.
Hmmm... here's a thought, why don't they ban metal spikes altogether like the majority of golf clubs have done for their members or paying public.

RACK Vijay for getting in Phil's head!
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Re: 8 mm metal spikes?

Post by BSmack »

Otis wrote:Hmmm... here's a thought, why don't they ban metal spikes altogether like the majority of golf clubs have done for their members or paying public.

RACK Vijay for getting in Phil's head!
Banning spikes is a tour or course decision. I don't see the USGA or R&A banning metal spikes outright. Certainly after this soggy season of golf, it will be even more difficult to pursuade players to give up the safety net of metal spikes. And there is no percentage in it for the tour to ban spikes and risk the best players in the wolrd slipping and slidding all over a rain soaked layout. I've been following golf for a while, and this is the first time I have ever heard of this kind of confrontation. Tour players have done a good job of policing themselves, and will continue to police themselves. The reason public courses are banning the spikes, is because the average American duffer is a golfing retard and can't be trusted to care fopr a course. PGA players do just fine in that regard.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Re: 8 mm metal spikes?

Post by MuchoBulls »

Otis wrote:RACK Vijay for getting in Phil's head!
No way does Vijay deserve a rack. He could have waited until the round was over and said something to Phil.

Secondly, if he saw the left over spike marks, he could have patted them down. Mickelson is a player who certainly has etiquette, so if he says he missed a couple of marks I would tend to believe him.

Lastly, a little hypocritical of him to blast a player for poor etiquette when he has been proven to further his ball after marking it.

Fuck off Vijay!
Dreams......Temporary Madness
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

Each to their own.. I'm no fan of Michelson, never have been, never will be.
So Vijay should.. let Phil continue to chew up the greens that his opponents have yet to putt on because it would be better for who?
Nice logic I suppose, if you're a Michelson fan.

And yes, Rack Vijay, just because he did get under Phil's skin.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Wet track, so using the metal spikes is a better option. I doubt Phil was the only one wearing them.

Vijay could have fixed the marks with his putter, as basically all of us do whenever we play.

Who is Michelson?
fix
Eternal Scobode

Post by fix »

MuchoBulls wrote:Wet track, so using the metal spikes is a better option. I doubt Phil was the only one wearing them.
Maybe so and from what I heard reported on the golf channel, about 60% of the players were using them yesterday.
Vijay could have fixed the marks with his putter, as basically all of us do whenever we play.
No doubt he probably had to, but he also did the right thing by informing one of the rules officials about it since he couldn't very well tap down every spike mark for the next 17 holes without someone noticing it.

Remember, this all happened on the first hole that Phil played yesterday. His group was the first on that green and Vijay was in the group right behind.
Who is Michelson?
Michelson.. Mickelson whatever.. the guy with the mantits that always found a way to choke in a major up until this time last year.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in the Champions locker room last night. As it was reported on Golf Central, the scene was like two bull hippos comming to blows over the same territory. It would be absolutely awesome if they got paired together after the conclusion of the 3rd round.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Otis wrote:No doubt he probably had to, but he also did the right thing by informing one of the rules officials about it since he couldn't very well tap down every spike mark for the next 17 holes without someone noticing it.
Fair enough. They only had to play 7 holes, but I am sure every green was like that. If it were 2 lesser players, it probably wouldn't have been mentioned.

I doubt it got in Mickelson's head that much since he is ahead of Vijay going into the last round. It's too bad it's Tiger 6 shots ahead of Phil, or he might have had a chance to repeat. He definitely has to eagle 2 of the 3 holes he is capable of (2, 13, and 15).