Hot Stove 2009 Addition

Knock the cover off

Moderator: Cueball

jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Hot Stove 2009 Addition

Post by jiminphilly »

I'm not looking to post every single transaction or rumor that appears on ESPN or mlbtrade rumors. Rather I'm interested to know who YOU think your team should purse via F/A or trade.

The Phillies are in the market for a 3rd bagger after the non-tendering of Feliz. The hot corners has quite a few names already on the market but the dark horse guy I want them to pursue is currently on another roster but, like Feliz, could be non-tendered. Garrett Atkins is coming off a sub-par year and lost playing time to Ian Stewart. The are rumors that the Rockies are going to non-tender him since he made just over $7m last year and I assume he's going to want at least that much with a long term deal. From a contract stand point I think having Utley on the Phillies helps- they're best friends and Atkins was Utley's best man blah blah blah. I know that money talks but I don't think the connection with Utley can be discounted.

Offensively, Atkins has the ability to drive in runs and hit for power and could flourish in Philly. Defensively he's average. Feliz should have won the gold glove this year but can't hit for a lick which cost him any potential chance of winning. Atkins wasn't terrible when the Rockies had the best fielding team a few years ago and I suspect he could improve. I also like that he can play some 1b which would provide Howard some much needed days off. The entire team was fatigued near the end of the season (2 straight World Series appearances will do that do you..) and without a strong bench, they had no alternative. Letting Atkins play first keeps some power in the lineup and gets Howard rest.

The question to ask then is who plays 3rd if Atkins is at 1st base? The answer is Mark DeRosa. His days as an everyday player are over but I think he could be a super-sub and provide the Phillies the opportunity to rest Ibanez, Utley, Atkins and Howard and still have a little bit of pop in the lineup.

Still looking at the pitching angle and will post on that later.
Absinthe
Fuckin' Noob

Re: Hot Stove 2009 Addition

Post by Absinthe »

With Alex Gonzalez signing with the Blue Jays recently, the Red Sox have now limited themselves with few options for a viable starting shortstop. Jed Lowrie is NOT the everyday player the Sox need at shortstop. Now the gaze of Epstein and Co. will shift to Marco Scutaro. With no other great free agent SS's available, the Red Sox might as well hand Scutaro a blank check. They will definitely be overpaying. Unless it comes out that the Sox and Marlins are working out a Hanley Ramirez trade (fingers crossed), we will be going after Scutaro, and hard... that is, if Stephen Drew, Khalil Green, Orlando Cabrera or Miguel Tejada don't come easier (and cheaper.)
If you work for a living, why do you kill yourself working?
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

I will suspend my persistent boycott of both this forum and anything MLB related to join in this discussion because it relates to the matter and reason why I am currently engaged in this mighty struggle...

I pray that my once great organization, the Kansas City Royals pursue new ownership. I will suffice with just that for a single season.

P.S. May Mr. Glass die painfully of a venereal disease after being thoroughly screwed in every orifice by Mandigo warriors for a decade...

Thank You for you time.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Phillies bring back Placido Polanco...and will play 3B.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb

Definitely sad to see him leave the Tigers...such an underrated guy in that lineup and he's very steady defensively. I don't recall him playing a game at third with Detroit but I know he played multiple positions back when he played with the Phillies and Cards. I was kinda thinking he'd go back to either place after it came out that the Tigers were looking to go cheaper and younger at the position. Scott Sizemore is expected to get a shot at the 2B job after moving up the ranks in the minors. The Tigers are going to look quite a bit different next year with the possibility of Granderson and even Cabrera being traded. They're looking to slash a lot of salary with several contracts coming off the books after 2010.

Polly will fit in great with that powerful Phillies lineup as the #2 hitter (I'd assume). Great move by the Phillies and that would mean Pedro Feliz is out of the picture for them. I thought they had declined to pick up his option for next year so he's off to test the free agent waters.

Also, the Braves sign Wagner and Saito for the back end of their bullpen...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd ... p&c_id=mlb
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Toddowen wrote:
Shoalzie wrote: the possibility of Granderson and even Cabrera being traded.
How is he still there? I don't think even the Yankees would've sat on this guy, given the same circumstances.

Leyland mut be making the case of using Cabrera as a guinea pig for personality rehabilitation on his club. I don't regularly follow Detroit, but I'd expect the fans haven't been too forgiving.

I'm sorry but the Yankees have no room to talk about hanging onto guys with issues. Hell, I know this was another era but Steve Howe? But during the steroid era...Giambi, Sheffield, Clemens, Pettitte, and A-Rod...all guys with PEDs in their past. If that doesn't run a guy out of town, I don't think a single night of being drunk and sparring with the wife would do it. Certainly, the tabloid NYC media would have a field day with it...especially if it was a star player. But don't tell me about how squeaky clean the Bombers are and how much integrity they have.

To Cabera's credit, he did play well in Game 163 after all that came out. I don't condone what he did and I certainly can't look at him the same way after it all came to light. His crazy contract would make him hard to move but I've read where it's possible he could be available. Granderson is a more likely possibility, which would kill me since he's been a first class citizen. Also, Edwin Jackson could be on the move...due to make quite a bit more in arbitration.

The problem with them is all the bad contracts...Robertson, Willis, Bonderman, Inge and Ordonez to name a handful. I was expecting 2009 for them to be a last place team but I think 2010 is where they bottom out and hopefully they rebuild and spend their money wisely because a lot of those bad deals will be off the books. Their attendance has been pretty good but they have no business being a team with a $100+ million payroll.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The Yankees close to acquiring Granderson, Edwin Jackson would go to Arizona in a 3-way deal

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entr ... 6/18827168

I really hate the idea of trading a class guy like Grandy away but the Tigers could some nice pieces in the process including Max Scherzer from the D'backs. Phil Coke would be a solid guy to add to the bullpen and I'm not too familiar with Austin Jackson. The only thing I know about Daniel Schlereth is his old man played in the NFL. The Tigers are making all efforts to slash payroll and essentially begin another rebuilding. I would hope they make all efforts to hang on Verlander and keep him as one of the few pieces to rebuild around.

ESPN also reporting that it's in the works

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4725108
Last edited by Shoalzie on Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Would be a good deal for the Yanks right there.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Better deal for the D-Backs. Solid 1-2-3 of Webb, Jackson and Haren.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

What I give credit to the Yankees on this move and all the moves they made last winter is they are adding the right guys. They aren't just spending money on the best guys...they are bringing in the right guys. For a while, they were just a collection of superstars that seemed to lack direction. I look at Sabathia, Burnett, Teixeira, Swisher and now Granderson...all are good guys in the clubhouse and aren't going to rock the boat. The Yankees survived the early season A-Rod drama and their slow start and once they got rolling, look out! This mix of guys is closer to the group they had in the early and mid-90s where they weren't necessarily a team of superstars, they were just a group of good ballplayers.

I'll miss Granderson because of what I talked about before with the Cabrera situation...he is just a good guy to root for and you don't have to worry about him getting into trouble or saying something stupid. People wanted to call Mark Sanchez "presidential"...Granderson is "presidential". He'll be an excellent fit with that group and I don't expect them to put him at the top of the lineup. He really shouldn't be a leadoff man because he strikes out too much and just doesn't get on base enough. What he brings is great energy and character and he's got good pop from the left side. He'll play an excellent center field...he'll be the best center fielder that team has had since Bernie Williams left. He makes highlight reel grabs and makes an effort to get to any ball in his range.

As for what the Tigers get...Scherzer is another quality young arm to go with Verlander and Porcello. Austin Jackson could hopefully make the jump to the bigs right away and fill the hole in center field and maybe hit leadoff. I was hoping they'd make a run at Juan Pierre and get them a traditional leadoff man because Granderson really never suited that role all that well. Coke and Schlereth can got into the bullpen and replace Lyon and/or Rodney. Ryan Perry will play a bigger role next year in the bullpen and they'll hopefully have Zumaya back. I'm not all that upset they traded Jackson because he faded down the stretch. He'll fit in well in that D'back rotation as the #3 as Jim mentioned. He was due for a large raise and I knew it was likely they'd keep him. They need to get Verlander locked up long term because he becomes the face of this franchise with Grandy gone.
rozy
Cowboy

Post by rozy »

Toddowen wrote:Not a done deal yet, but looking more and more like it...

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/r ... _deal.html
Tony Massarotti, Globe Staff December 10, 2009 08:28 PM

The Red Sox have agreed in principle with the Rangers to a trade that will send popular third baseman Mike Lowell to Texas for catcher Max Ramirez, according to a baseball source. A money issue has also been resolved, the source said. Lowell will make $12 million this season, and the Sox will pay Texas some of his salary.

The remaining hurdle is medical clearance, usually a formality in most deals, but given the history of Lowell's hip injury, the Rangers could get cold feet.

Ramirez had injury problems with both wrists last season, spending time of the disabled list while playing with Triple A Oklahoma.

Amalie Benjamin of the Globe staff contributed to this report from Indianapolis.
Lowell has to have a pretty serious long term injury for a team to want to unload him. This guy's been a fukken stud up there in Boston. I can't believe they'd let him go unless the only other option was to walk him out to the pasture and place a .44 inside the skull, but apparently they're willing to try another option.

I hope he stays healthy in Texas. Gotta love them Rangers.
3 players at 2 positions. Youk, Victor, and Lowell. Which one would you trade? Lowell easily makes the most sense.
John Boehner wrote:Boehner said. "In Congress, we have a red button, a green button and a yellow button, alright. Green means 'yes,' red means 'no,' and yellow means you're a chicken shit. And the last thing we need in the White House, in the oval office, behind that big desk, is some chicken who wants to push this yellow button.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Toddowen wrote:Not a done deal yet, but looking more and more like it...

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/r ... _deal.html
Tony Massarotti, Globe Staff December 10, 2009 08:28 PM

The Red Sox have agreed in principle with the Rangers to a trade that will send popular third baseman Mike Lowell to Texas for catcher Max Ramirez, according to a baseball source. A money issue has also been resolved, the source said. Lowell will make $12 million this season, and the Sox will pay Texas some of his salary.

The remaining hurdle is medical clearance, usually a formality in most deals, but given the history of Lowell's hip injury, the Rangers could get cold feet.

Ramirez had injury problems with both wrists last season, spending time of the disabled list while playing with Triple A Oklahoma.

Amalie Benjamin of the Globe staff contributed to this report from Indianapolis.
Lowell has to have a pretty serious long term injury for a team to want to unload him. This guy's been a fukken stud up there in Boston. I can't believe they'd let him go unless the only other option was to walk him out to the pasture and place a .44 inside the skull, but apparently they're willing to try another option.

I hope he stays healthy in Texas. Gotta love them Rangers.
Dodgers are kicking his tires. I wonder how long before they fall off again.
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Roy Halladay to the Phillies in a 3 team trade.. details are Cliff Lee to the Mariners who send prospects to the Blue Jays. Nothing official yet on the prospects or if the Phillies had to offer anything else.

I like the trade a lot despite how good Lee was. Word is he didn't want to sign a long term deal with the Phillies b/c he expects Santana coin... Halladay wants to come to Philly and will sign an extension as less coin.

Phillies can now break up their heavy LH pitching rotation.
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff
2023/24 3BB Champion, 2022/2023 3BB CoChampion

Post by Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff »

Sawx about to load up on more pitching. A Lackey signing is in the works....imagine Beckett/Dice/Lackey/Lester next year. :shock:
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

But you won't have Grienke. Sucks to be you.
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff

Red Sox continue to bolster their roster, now with a Mike Cameron signing. He will make a good platoon-style outfielder at Fenway. These are the kind of key moves that win a championship....whereas other teams just sit around in December and fondle their balls. Boston also has two solid catchers to replace Tek and that's something that people aren't talking about. Eptein just has a knack for pulling all the right strings.
Yer a Fuckin Jerkoff

Epstein continues to get all the right pieces. They signed Adrian Beltre today to a one year deal. That adds another masher to the already potent Fenway lineup. Lube up, AL East.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Yeah, that .304 OBP and 19 walks...look out! He's still got a decent glove but his numbers were never as good in Seattle as they were in his contract/MVP year in LA. Gee, I wonder why?
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Theo Epstein has had his worst off-season ever... and that's saying something.

If you add up the dead money owed to Lugo and the soon to be departed Lowell... the Sux are going to be paying 14 million for their starting SS and 22 million for their starting 3B in 2010. By my math, that's 36 fucking million for a 2 turds on the wrong side of 30 years old. Good luck with that...

Lackey is 31 and has started the last two seasons on the DL. Bulldog when he's healthy. Big risk.

Cameron is feeble at age 37. Career .174 postseason batter with almost twice as many K's as hits. AARP says what's up.

Scutaro, age 34 and WTF is so great about his 162 game average of 10 HR 57 RBI and .265? Is this loser seriously an upgrade over Greene or Lowrie? Expect another failure at SS.

Beltre -- the juiced called and wants you to return to 2004 form. Great glove, but has never hit more than 26 HR or 100 RBI except for the year he was a juice monkey. Had a whopping 8 HR in 111 games last year. Not trending well.

The average age of the 4 players signed is 33 years old. :lol: I thought the Red Sux mantra was not to be the 1980's Yankees and produce players from their "well-stocked" farm system.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

^ On top of that, they let Jason Bay go and the Yankees in my view, got better. The Yankees still have to decide what they're going to do with Damon but the addition of Vazquez and Granderson with only the having to move Cabrera. It's up for debate how much letting Matsui go will hurt them...again, it depends on if they can keep Damon.

The Red Sox have the pitching to win but their lineup continues to get weaker and weaker. They've got Youkilis, Pedroia and Ellsbury to lead the way but Ortiz is getting older and worse and doesn't seem to be the same without Manny behind him. Lowell is breaking down. Drew is still decent but not what he was in their last title year. Martinez is going to help their lineup being their full-time but where does he play? He's not a very good catcher and they've got too many guys that are first basemen. They're still one of the better teams in the AL but they're not the same team they were a few years ago.

To me, the Yankees are very much the favorites to win the AL pennant again...they've done the right amount of tweaking to their team. The Red Sox will have to win on their pitching and defense because their bats are falling further behind the Yankees.