Last Minute Calzone - PET

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Last Minute Calzone - PET

Post by indyfrisco »

Well, last night I decided to make a calzone at about 6 PM from scratch. Knowing I had to hurry in order to allow for some rise time, I didn't take any pictures until I had it assembled. Not that you care to see pictures of dough rising....

Anyhow, I consulted my King Arthur Flour 200 Year Anniversary book for a quick dough calzone recipe/process. They had one of course. I modified the recipe and process a bit. #1, their recipe called for enough to make like 4 huge calzones. I split the recipe in half. I ended up making 1 big calzone and threw the other half of the dough I made in the fridge so I can make another tonight if I want.

ANyhow, from memory, here was my recipe:

3 1/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 T salt
1/2 T sugar
1 T active dry yeast
1/8 cup EVOO
3/4 cup warm water

I put the sugar and yeast in a bowl, added the warm water, mixed with whisk until dissolved and set aside to activate the yeast. In the kitchen aid mixer, I added the flour and salt and blended. I dug a well in the flour and put the bowl on the mixer. Once yeast was bubbly after about 7 minutes, I added it and the EVOO to the center of the well. I put the dough hook on and let it go. I let it mix and knead for about 10 minutes. I had to drop about a tablespoon more water in about 2 minutes in. Came out nice and elastic. Rolled into a ball, put a little EVOO ina big bowl, added the dough and rolled around to cover in EVOO covered and let it set.

Time to make the toppings...or fillings:

Didn't have any fresh veggies on hand so I made due. I used roasted red peppers from the jar and chipotle peppers from the can. I had some of my go to red sauce on hand so no need to prep that.

For meat, I started with about 8 strips of bacon. I cut it up into about 1/2" slices and cooked it until crisp in the pan. I then took about a quarter lb of garlic sausage and fried it up in the bacon grease, cutting it up with the wooden spoon into about marble size chunks while frying. Then, I took a half can of canned mushrooms (I know, sacrilege) and fried them up in the bacon grease and peppered them heavily once removed from grease. I then dumped the bacon grease in a shot glass and drank it (not really, just seeing if you're paying attention).

So, after I prepped all these fillings and cleaned up, about 30 minutes of rise time went by. The dough had risen to not quite double, but it was about 7 PM at this point and still there was more rise time to go once the calzone was prepped. I cut the dough in half and used only half for the rest of this. I rolled it out to about 10"-12" in diameter. Then I started filling it in this order:

Motzerella, sausage, red sauce, minced onion, parm from can, roasted red peppers, chipotle peppers, bacon, more red sauce, mushrooms, more motz, some cheddar.

Then, I wet around the edges, folded the calzone over and sealed with a fork. Here it is, ready to rise again. I loaded up the pizza peel with cornmeal, put the calzone on there and covered in plastic wrap for 40 minutes:

OK, ready to go in the oven. Just before I put it in the oven while it was still on the peel, I brushed the top with egg wash (1 egg, 1 T water) liberally. then I sprinkled a lot of minced onion and toasted sesame seeds on the calzone. I put 3 slits across the top so the steam from the inside will vent there instead of breaking open the calzone.

Here it is on the stone just as I put it in the oven.

I start with a cold oven and set it to 450 degrees. Once it hits 450, I kick it back to 400 which took about 15 minutes. Here it is at this point:

About 5 mintes later. You can see the egg wash is helbing turn it to a nice golden brown:

Almost done!

The final product, about 15 minutes into the 400 degree cook. Perfectly golden. I let it rest on the hot stone for 10 minutes before I dove in. It was a long 10 minutes.

Here's the inside. Not great detail because my camera phone sucks on my blackberry but you get the idea.

I could only eat half of it, dipping it in Light Ranch with a high ball of Jack and Diet Coke. Damn this was good. And start to finish including some rise time it took about 2.5 hours. Not bad.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: Last Minute Calzone - PET

Post by Mikey »

Looks good, but 2.5 hours? On a weeknight? You must have a lot of spare time.

Last night I fixed stir fried snow peas, asparagus tips, broccoli, fresh shiitakes, and some scallions along with some seared ahi steaks. Besides setting up the fish to marinate just before kickoff, and starting the rice, the whole thing was pretty much done during halftime.

Also, you might want to consider mixing in a few leaves of lettuce or something else green with your calzones and fatties. Otherwise you'll prolly die before you even reach my age.

Just sayin'...
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

My wife and kids are in Florida. Well, back in Indiana as we speak driving back from the airport, but they were gone last night. No way do I have that kind of time on a weeknight when they are here.

Anyhow, there was 70 minutes of wait time for the dough to rise twice in there along with 30 minutes of cook time. So, 100 of the 150 minutes I didn't do anything but watch the pregame or part of 1st qtr. I probably did spend a good 50 minutes prepping/cooking/cleaning. When it was all done cooking, the kitchen was all leaned and dishes put away.

So, I didn't waste a lot of time; I just used a little patience. I got the other half of the dough in the fridge. I plan on making my wife one. Now that I have everything already prepped, it will take no time at all for a repeat performance other than 15 minutes to wait once I pull the dough from the frdge to warm up a bit and the 30 minutes to cook.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Tell me about it. I acquired the taste for the light ranch. It's not as bad as a fat free ranch. It actually isn't bad. Fat is about half. I was more going for the "you load up with fried bacon, sausage fried in bacon fat, mushrooms fried in bacon fat, two cheeses and worry about light ranch and diet coke" angle. Kinda like the fat chick who orders 3 #3s at McD's with diet coke.

ANyhow, I have always drank diet coke. Back in the day of heavy drinking, I still had to have Jack and regular coke. Could not stand the mix with diet. I eventually converted to jack and diet. It was a struggle at first, but got through it. Now, I can't stand the regular coke. Just way too sweet. Hell, I used to enjoy a good rita on the rocks but even those are so sweet I can't handle more than 1 without feeling sick from all the sugars, even when doing it right with only lime juice and none of that sweet and sour shit.
PSUFAN
dents with meaning

Post by PSUFAN »

Looks damn good as usual, Indy
King Crimson wrote:anytime you have a smoke tunnel and it's not Judas Priest in the mid 80's....watch out.
mvscal wrote:France totally kicks ass.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

the egg wash is key.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"