What kind of Hobbys do you guys have?

A forum for Shine to shine.

Moderators: Shine, indyfrisco

KC Scott

What kind of Hobbys do you guys have?

Post by KC Scott »

I have to travel a lot for work now, so don't have time for some of the things I used to do.

Still try and get to the Gym a few times a week - even in the hotels.
Play some golf and still enjoy shooting and hunting when possible.
Used to coach football and Baseball - but the boys didn't want to play this season :(

I keep thinking I'll buy a Harley and start riding again, but don't know if that is going to happen.
We have a dealership close and I'll probably rent one a couple times before I make the investment.
The Wife said she'd be into it but not sure if that's just talk.
Last time I was one one was 4 years ago in Aruba - the kids wern't with us and it was a great time.

As for my internet time - Right Here is a regular stop.
Also into FFL and this: http://goallineblitz.com/game/team.pl?team_id=1347 to get my Football fix

How bout you all?
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Re: What kind of Hobbys do you guys have?

Post by Tom In VA »

WII EA Sports Active - One day I was following along, running in place, look down and see my son (about 18 months at the time) running in place alongside me. Now he always asks "Daddy, exercise". So my gym time is cut down, I bought an ellipitcal machine as well. Mostly in the house though. We do "words" (Your Baby Can Read) together after we do our "routine".

School - Going to school. Not really a hobby, but a time investement for sure.

Thanks for a thread in the Poli forum, and specifically mvscal I learned about:

http://www.vdf.virginia.gov/

So I joined. Took an oath and everything, got an ID, and all. It's a great investment and I meet all kinds of cool folks, from Veterans to wannabes like myself. Like anything it has its ups and downs but overall it is a wonderful experience. Strictly for State business, the idea - for me anyway - was to carry the water and bags of the Guard guys leaving and coming back. Turns out it is much more and I'm learning a lot.

I was never a hunter, but I'd love to take that up. I think it is an important skill to have my son develop.

That and pursuing some technical certifications in my career field pretty much take up all my time.

Can't wait until I finish school, by then I'll do more hiking (love that) and when my son turns 6, martial arts.

40 is the new 20 :D
Doug near DC
Elwood

Post by Doug near DC »

I collect NASCAR diecast cars. Right now, I have about 60 1/24 scale cars.

Here are a few pics

I have 30 cars that Dale Earnhardt drove, 20 Jr. cars, amd 10 Kevin Harvick cars.

LET'S GO RACIN' BOYS!
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

I'm not sure if the things I do qualify as hobbies but...

I play a lot of poker and have placed in some less prestigious tournaments than the WPT and WSOP.

I am the offensive coordinator for a youth football team which just won the city title against a team that hadn't been scored on but twice all season before the championship game, 28-6.

Chair the Team Development committee for Relay for Life in my community.

I used to be a booster and do a lot of work with the Niceville football team but had to give up the spot this season since I don't have a child that goes there (only my little sister who lives with me) and didn't graduate from there because the runningback was being recruited and is now committed to my alma mater who I donate money to and have season tickets for (Oklahoma obviously). Eligibility and recruiting violations stemming from such were a concern.

I also used to shoot APA pool but only sub for a team now because my schedule between other commitments and my little sister is too hectic to validate the time.

Outside of that sort of stuff it's difficult enough trying to run the business, try to keep up with a high school girl, and a sick father.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

BS, if the latter is a hobby, you need more fiber. :P

I work on writing in my off time. My son has been with me full time since June, so my priorities have changed, but I still try to find time to be creative.

I've been working on two character-driven action movie scripts on and off for the past few years. Not Shakespeare or anything, but just trying to craft stories that I'd like to see in a theater. Prior to getting a legit career, I was in college studying screenwriting. So I know what I'm doing format-wise, it's just a matter of finding time to dump the daily stuff out of one ear (so to speak), and finding time to sit down at the keyboard.

For the past few months I've mostly been relegated to finding funny random ideas on the internet or IRL that I know other people can relate to and are great stuff to add depth to an already "okay" scene. If you see some guy feverishly writing down a description of an interaction between two people that you don't even notice, that's me. :D

Basically, I'm good at borrowing from RL and other sources and pooling a bunch of unrelated crap together to make it work. Or that's what others have told me anyway. :blush:

I've only had one paying writing gig ($500), and it was to create a script for a small movie that was seen by about 2,000 kids . I had to compose a completely original script that would use nothing but the (albeit talented) drama class and staff of an OC high school. Yikes!!!!!! I ended up combining elements of several popular movies of that year, conducted a bunch of interviews with teachers so that i could include inside jokes that only the students would get, and I and a friend shot and filmed it all in two weeks. In addition to the movie, we included a couple of shorts, including a mock "Cops" episode where one of the teachers pulled over his RL fiance and fucked up the car with his nightstick (my RL beater pos) and a "When Animals Attack" short featuring the teachers damn near being trampled by the emu. Good times...

Anyway, I sat in the back corner in the dark so the students wouldn't wonder why and old creepy dude was sitting near them. And after getting the chills hearing people laugh when they're supposed to laugh and jump when they were supposed to jump, I knew what I ultimately wanted to do for a living.
Moving Sale wrote: I could easily have an IQ of 40
Katy

Post by Katy »

Okay...

I paint. I wanted to be an art major, but my parents didn't like the idea. I also enjoy photography, sculpting, and occasionally I will break out the banjo, mandolin, and a little guitar. The majority of what I do in my downtime is a lot of painting. I will take some pics sometime and put them up so you guys can kind of see some of my work. I will warn you some of what I paint is a bit morbid.

I also write. A lot.

Lately, I have been volunteering at a retirement home on Sunday afternoons. Yes, it's a hobby to want to help, I guess. Some of the people I've met have been amazing people. I've learned a lot from the elderly people that I sit with and talk to. I do crafts with them, take them for walks, and more or less just listen to them.

Right now, I am a financial analyst. I have been going to school for a few years to pursue nursing. I did take the past year off from taking classes to focus on my family. After Christmas, I will be returning to classes to finish up my nursing degree. My hope is to work with elderly patients.

I hope I don't seem as boring as I sound.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

Oh, let’s see here… my hobbies.
At the top of the list is golf. Play twice/week now, thank goodness.

Other interests:
Meteorology- almost went to Penn State for it, but opted instead for Horticulture there. Probably a good decision as I’m living my dream job right now in my chosen major. But still, love meteorology and read all I can about it.

Reading- very much dislike fiction (except for a rare few cases). I primarily read books on travel. Currently reading Blood River, the author’s account of retracing the steps of the man who first mapped and traveled what is still today quite possibly the most dangerous part of the world- the Congo River. Extremely interesting.

Cooking/eating- I’ll try virtually anything (eating or cooking). Thankfully, being here in Thailand allows me to try many different and unique things. My trips to China also offer many offerings, many of which are not agreeable with my palate, but I still appreciate the opportunity.

Travel- One reason why I love my job. Shit, I’ve logged 113,000 miles of air travel this year and I still have a return trip to the US from Thailand. I love everything about flying- going to sleep on a plane and waking up on the other side of the world or in an entirely different culture. Love experiencing new cultures and their food/customs. I think I’m a ‘granola trekker’ at heart which might be why I enjoy it so much.

All I can think of for now… will probably add something later when it comes to mind.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Papa Willie wrote:Recording, music, fishing, PC/Internet & taking huge shits.
Ahahaha! I'm currently doing that last one while posting this! Probably take a photo of my "work" and send to my Brother-in-law because he's been sending me his deuce photos lately. We're mature beyond our years! Oh, and my interests do not include spending time on the crapper. My interests are all over the map. I'm usually game for just about anything. Love to travel but need to see more foreign countries. I've actually only been to Mexico and Canada outside the US- unless you want to include a family vacation to London when I was 3 years old. I have seen pictures but don't remember it at all. I've pretty much been everywhere in the US besides NYC and that's because I've never really cared to go there. I think my wife and I were perfect for each other because we are both road trip junkies and will hop in the car and drive 400 miles or fly across country with 5 minutes notice like it's a trip to the grocery store. I have a goal of seeing every MLB team and stadium by the time I turn 30- but that's unlikely since I turn 30 in July. I will be able to have seen all 30 teams but will probably be about 8-10 short on the stadiums. Reds and Mets are only teams I have left to see. Of course, those were the only 2 teams I had left 3 years ago and just haven't been able to go see them. Okay, time to flush!
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Who the hell gave me that ugly Buckeye helmet?? I feel disgusting just looking at it next to my name.
BarFlie
x-grunt

Post by BarFlie »

Back in '92 I was surprised by a phone call from an old friend I served with in Vietnam. He was traveling thru Chicago, picked up a phone book and there i was. Neither one of us had contact with any other vets from our unit since leaving Nam and that first meeting got us both fired up. A year later I attended the first official reunion of Alpha companuy on July 31st. in Washington DC. We have had at least one and often two gatherings a year ever since. I spent a lot of time tracking down old friends via letters and phone calls and organized quite a few reunions in the 90's.
In 2000 my boss gave me a copy of the software he used to build the company website so I bought a computer and began fooling around with web design. On the 1st of April 2001 the first edition of my website hit cyberspace and I've been going strong ever since. I won't bore you with details but a lot of good things have happened since that first meeting in '92 and the addition of the website in 2001. The site is in constant change and new guys keep on finding it. I added three new names to the service list just last week. My music database has always been popular and I get hits from all over the world. This past summer I decided to expand on that and get some forums started. They're not taking off like I hoped cus most old farts like me aren't very puter savvy beyond sending an email or two. But I keep on plugging away and I'm always willing to try new stuff at the site. If i ever get my ass retired I may try to make a few extra bucks as a web designer.
Here's the current link to my homepage if any of you want to check it out. http://geronimo-vietnam.com

Gary (aka Joynt)
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

I used to golf 4-5 times a week until my son was born. Now I'm lucky to get out once every 2 months. I'm hoping next year, thanks to some life changes that include me going back to college for the year, that a small window of time will be open for me to get back over to the muni I used to play at all the time.

I'm also a fan of live music and am always looking to find the best quality live boots possible. My favorite bootlegs are Zeppelin, Floyd, Dead and old bluesmen like John Lee Hooker and Howlin Wolf. I guess my roots are where my heart is at.

I'm also starting to become more of an audiophile. Now I'm not a 24 bit snob, but I have been working to upgrade my music collection to FLAC from MP3. I'd like to get the best 75% converted by the end of next year. Right now I'm about half way into it.

I used to play guitar and sing with a group with some friends of mine. But real life has intervened and now I play once or twice a week at home. I still have the master tapes of our sessions and would like to get them all down to digital. But it is a time consuming process to manually pull all 60 minutes worth of music on each cassette tape, edit down each track and synch it up in Audacity for a final mix. That project might take a few more years. My best friend and I also have made a pact that we will pick up where we left off musically once out kids are older.

Of course I'm a total football nut. I love me some fantasy football (War Jackasses!) and of course I refuse to miss my Steelers games. Thank God I have an understanding wife.

Things I would like to get into...

Learning how to make mashup mixes. I've got tons of karaoke tracks, acapella tracks and beats on my computer. Just need to start playing. Sometime soon. Probably after the whole school/job thing gets sorted out.

When my boy is bigger I want to take him to a father/son karate class. I think that would be pretty cool.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Political Operative
Crack Whore

Post by Political Operative »

Well as mentioned in the previous post in a different thread I don't have much time to do things that I enjoy, (TV, Hobbies, etc.)

I do maintain a collection of Pikachu Plush dolls which goes back to dating my present high maitenance wife. At Christmas instead of putting ornaments on the tree, we place our Christmas Theme Plush dolls on it and place some others under the tree. Pikachu is what united the two of us together and my daughter like it as well... I'll post a pic of the 2009 Pikachu Tree for shi*s and giggles.

Back in the really political active days I collected election signs of Conservative Party Candidates. My collection includes the signs of 2 former Ontario Premiers. I had John McCain Bumper Stickers mailed to me from the 08 Race.

I still have a stamp, coin and baseball card collection that I can not keep up with...

The most recent thing I did for my own personal enjoyment was going on a roadie to see "The Beloved," (A World Championship Curler from China who is the favourite to win the Gold Medal at the Vancouver Olympics). I had a "schoolgirl crush" sentiment for her and got the guts to go see her and have become really close and good friends with her.
Paul
Elwood

Post by Paul »

I LOVE CARS.

I've been messing around with fast cars since my dad was racing a Super Stock-class 1966 Chevelle SS427 at NHRA Division 5 events throughout the Midwest. My 1st car was a 1973 Olds 4-4-2 with a 455 in it, and that bitch would fry the tires as long as I stood on the gas. I've been lucky enough to own some of the baddest American musclecars ever made:

1966 GTO
1970 Chevelle SS454
1969 GTO
1987 Buick Grand National (still miss that car- turbos are SO fun!)
1991 Camaro Z28
1990 Mustang GT (fastest car I ever had- before I sold it I had it running high 9s at the dragstrip)
1996 Corvette Grand Sport LT4
2002 Corvette Z06
2006 GTO (still the best-built car I ever owned- I HATED to get rid of it)

I still drag race when I don't have to coach baseball or football....picked up this 1999 Camaro Z28 a couple of years ago real cheap and have been beating on it ever since:

It runs mid 11s at 116-118mph and fulfills my speed jones whenever I feel the need. :D

And like Doug Near DC I also collect diecast model cars, particularly the 1:18 scale musclecars from the late 60s/early 70s. Since those real musclecars are worth so much money these days buying the diecast replicas is the only way I'll ever be able to own them. :lol:
Tiger Woods....ALLEGEDLY wrote:"Hey, it's, uh, it's Tiger. I need you to do me a huge favor. Um, can you please, uh, take your name off your phone. My wife went through my phone. And, uh, may be calling you. If you can, please take your name off that and, um, and what do you call it just have it as a number on the voice mail, just have it as your telephone number. That's it, OK. You gotta do this for me. Huge. Quickly. All right. Bye."
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

music.

hiking and snow-shoeing in the mountains (live in Colorado).

fix up old bike frames to sell on craigslist.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Adelpiero
Eternal Scobode

Post by Adelpiero »

KC Scott wrote:I have to travel a lot for work now, so don't have time for some of the things I used to do.

Still try and get to the Gym a few times a week - even in the hotels.
Play some golf and still enjoy shooting and hunting when possible.
Used to coach football and Baseball - but the boys didn't want to play this season :(

I keep thinking I'll buy a Harley and start riding again, but don't know if that is going to happen.
We have a dealership close and I'll probably rent one a couple times before I make the investment.
The Wife said she'd be into it but not sure if that's just talk.
Last time I was one one was 4 years ago in Aruba - the kids wern't with us and it was a great time.

As for my internet time - Right Here is a regular stop.
Also into FFL and this: http://goallineblitz.com/game/team.pl?team_id=1347 to get my Football fix

How bout you all?
floggin the dolphin as much as i can.

Any good Japanese steak houses near KCI? Will be in town for MU-KU, and love me some Hibachi cookin!
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

I graduated from my LVN/LPN program a month ago with honors while working 40 hr weeks and getting beat up in the smack forum. Right now I'm taking a couple of RN, BSN prerequisites and should be in the RN, BSN program next fall. I was looking at becoming a PA until I looked at the local program. No thanks. Katy, I didn't know you wanted to become a nurse. Go for it!

I started playing guitar again a few months ago and played a live gig on October 10th with various band members from LA to local that have played in the clubs for eons. I've acquired all of the Van Halen stomp boxes and have one of his old guitars playing through a Mesa Boogie Mk-IV. I've never practiced with let alone play with any of these guys but went to Guitar Center to buy the Van Halen 1 & 2 guitar tab book to nail the songs. We got up on stage and agreed what we all knew and went for it. Then we played all kinds of other club songs. It went very smoothly and sounded great. Let's just say that just jump-started my social life again. Like shutyomouth said years ago, being that girls like musicians...

I haven't seen my parents this year except for one day in February. I went over to the coast 2 weeks ago and played tennis for the 1st time in 7 years since I ruptured my Achilles tendon back then. I'm in good muscular shape but didn't realize how poorly I was cardio-wise. So, I'm working out with a former classmate, and busting ass to get back into great shape.

Wow, I've read every post in this thread and didn't know you guys aren't as moronic as some of you are in the smack forums. Anyway, thanks Katy.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Adelpiero wrote: Any good Japanese steak houses near KCI? Will be in town for MU-KU, and love me some Hibachi cookin!
Hey Adel - good to see you in here

None near KCI that I know of - you're flying in rather than I-70?

The Best in KC is Gojo's down in Westport: Here

Other than that there is a Kobe 10 min east of the Stadiums on Little Blue Prkwy
OCmike
Cursed JFFL Owner

Post by OCmike »

Can someone delete my faggy double-post? This being a new forum and all, I'd like to say that I'm highly-discouraged at the level of customer service that you've displayed so far.:D
Moving Sale wrote: I could easily have an IQ of 40
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

KC Scott wrote:
Adelpiero wrote: Any good Japanese steak houses near KCI? Will be in town for MU-KU, and love me some Hibachi cookin!
Hey Adel - good to see you in here

None near KCI that I know of - you're flying in rather than I-70?

The Best in KC is Gojo's down in Westport: Here
Exactly what I told him in response to a PM a coupla' weeks ago.

There's also one on Barry Road near Zona Rosa but I have no idea if it's any good or not.
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Hey Wags didn't expect to see you in here :mrgreen:

I didn't know there was a 2nd Gojo's - I haven't been up to Zona Rosa yet either.
I guess it's supposed to be like the Plaza north?
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

I'm 36, but I still haven't been able to kick the video game habit (much to multiple girlfriends' chagrin). I mainly play NCAA 10. I won't bore you all with a lengthy diatribe on the game's numerous flaws, except to say that it can be extremely unrealistic at times. But I'm such a college football fan that I somehow get past it and try to enjoy the game for what it is. I've never been the athletic type, so it's basically my best bet to satisfy that competitive urge. I love playing random people online, even the douchebags who scramble all over the place with Pryor or Tebow. This is actually the best year I've ever had, too, for whatever reason. I'm above .500 for the first time in the 6+ years I've been playing online, and in a weird way, I actually take some pride in that. Heh.

I play bass in a honky-tonk band. It's 3 of the 4 guys from my old band, so we have about 12-15 original songs and a handful of covers. If we could find a drummer we'd probably be ready to play out by early 2010. I have a guy lined up to sit in with us next Monday, so hopefully that works out. I've been itching to get out and play some gigs again.

I also do some freelance music writing for Phoenix New Times. Don't get paid a lot for it, but it's fun to see your name in print and I think I'm pretty good at it. I've been trying to figure out a way to parlay the writing thing into a bona fide career, but journalism is just not a very profitable industry to be in. I've been kicking around the idea of starting a music website, sort of a blog/message board combo, but I know jack shit about web design and I doubt I could afford to pay someone to design it for me. Anyway, here are a few of my articles:
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2009-10- ... erhero-dom
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2009-02- ... -the-growl
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2009-04- ... ellraising
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2009-07- ... rl-s-world
http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2009-07- ... ant-return

This next one is kind of long (no pun intended), but it was my first (and, so far, only) cover story that I worked on with one of the staff writers. This guy was the most ridiculous person I've ever interviewed in my life...

http://www.phoenixnewtimes.com/2009-06- ... s-own-mind
"Keys, woman!"
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

Cool Mike. Have any videos of your band?
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

KC Scott wrote:Cool Mike. Have any videos of your band?
No videos. I have some MP3s of the old band. Is there a site like YouTube but for music where I could just upload an MP3 to stream? At least without going through the trouble of setting up a whole MySpace music account or something?
"Keys, woman!"
KC Scott

Post by KC Scott »

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:
No videos. I have some MP3s of the old band. Is there a site like YouTube but for music where I could just upload an MP3 to stream? At least without going through the trouble of setting up a whole MySpace music account or something?

No - maybe someone like Katy or Spray would know.

If we do get it put up, I'm sure you could get some regular plays on T1B Radio

:D
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

1st and foremost, it's not a hobby, but it takes up most of my free time and that is the kids. As enjoyable as it is (most of the time), I would consider it time well spent even if it means I don't get to do all the things I used to do much more often.

That being said, #1 hobby for me is golf. I still get out about once a week even with two little kids which I am thankful for. Things I enjoy but do much less often witht he kiddos is fishing and going to sporting events. I still go to the Colts home games. Even took little Frisco to the Colts/Texans game a couple weeks ago for the first time and he loved it.

My passion is cooking. Whether it is sitting over the smoker or baking in the kitchen, I'm all in when it comes to cooking. My ultimate goal is to get a huge competition smoker and travel and compete, but that dream is on hold until the kids get older. I would love for my son to take an interest and join me. Both kids love "cooking with daddy" each night. I let them help me make their meals every night so hopefully they'll someday join me in my dream to compete.

Lastly, the wife and I enjoy travelling. Every year, we'll go to Vegas a couple times, head to the condo in Florida 4-5 times (she goes about 10 times) and we try to do a nice beach somewhere once a year whether it is Hawaii or somewhere in the Caribbean.

Also, I don't like it when shit breaks around the house, but I enjoy fixing things. I also enjoy doing woodwork. Nothing fancy like making furniture, but I built the kids' playset outside, made some cabinets for the garage, built washer games, etc. Next I plan on making a nice beanbag toss set. One A&M box and one IU. Nice winter project.

And before the kids, I did a lot of homebrewing. Have not done any since the kids. Would love to get back to that soemday.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

My daily "hobby" besides net surfing is doing the NY Times crossword puzzles that are in our Fort Myers News Press. Those who do not know---they get progressively more difficult from Monday to Saturday. Typically Monday and Tuesday are an easy fill in the blanks while sitting on the crapper. Fridays and Saturdays are sometimes very hard--with clues being very convoluted. Sunday puzzles are big and usually not very difficult. I use pen--- which begs the question of what do I do when I make a mistake. My answer is of course--I do not make any !
Other than those, I fill some time during the year officiating high school football and umpiring high school softball. Keeping the sub-tropical rain forest from growing on my property also consumes some of my free time---not exactly a hobby I guess.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

OCmike wrote:Can someone delete my faggy double-post? This being a new forum and all, I'd like to say that I'm highly-discouraged at the level of customer service that you've displayed so far.:D
Done and Done
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
TheJON
Iowa State Grad

Post by TheJON »

Wolfman wrote:My daily "hobby" besides net surfing is doing the NY Times crossword puzzles that are in our Fort Myers News Press. Those who do not know---they get progressively more difficult from Monday to Saturday. Typically Monday and Tuesday are an easy fill in the blanks while sitting on the crapper. Fridays and Saturdays are sometimes very hard--with clues being very convoluted. Sunday puzzles are big and usually not very difficult. I use pen--- which begs the question of what do I do when I make a mistake. My answer is of course--I do not make any !
Other than those, I fill some time during the year officiating high school football and umpiring high school softball. Keeping the sub-tropical rain forest from growing on my property also consumes some of my free time---not exactly a hobby I guess.
I have started getting addicted to working the NY times crosswords. Does this mean I am getting old!?
Katy

Post by Katy »

KC Scott wrote:
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan wrote:

No - maybe someone like Katy or Spray would know.

If we do get it put up, I'm sure you could get some regular plays on T1B Radio

:D

try ripway.com

You can host some mp3's on that site.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Sun Coast...you better not be going SO CAL TROJAN up on that team...you know Cobra Kai like...

Let's see...I am 37, used to play a lot of golf until MBA and kids...so now I play 3-5 times a year...work out, have a garage band...some of you guys have seen the videos up on youtube...if not go to youtube and punch in Aces Cracked (myself and the guitarist named the band after getting our aces cracked all the time)...I love to gamble - Poker, Black Jack, dice, betting sports...etc...watch a ton of sports...travel...read, and spend time with the kiddos...and wife...

other than that pretty boring...

Jon you can lose the OSU helmet it was only for 1 week
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

buckeye_in_sc wrote:Sun Coast...you better not be going SO CAL TROJAN up on that team...you know Cobra Kai like...
No we're pretty loose and like to have fun. The kids actually learn more and retain it that way... I also used to umpire little league ball but haven't in years because ex-wife's car was vandalized and a baseball with a LL stamp on it was the culprit. Not a good idea to umpire across the street from your townhouse either I don't think but I digress...

I don't believe a word that ToeJam speaks concerning youth sports and his coaching but I just choose to keep my mouth shut since I coach myself. The coaches and fathers we've/I've seen that really do act like that tend to have the worst teams in the league by far, the kids hate playing for them, the other parents hate them (both on their team and opposing), the officials hate them and any call that can go against them will, and the kids end up giving up because they hate being there by the end of the season. The teams that do the best are the teams that are having fun, have structure, and whose coaches and families take it seriously but not too seriously. The most rigid rule we have on my team is that the kids should never play pick up games before or after practice, or any time else for that matter... the first offense is running laps and sitting out the first quarter of the next game and after that if you get caught you sit out the entire game; the reason behind that is that it is dangerous. Coaches and officials have to go to classes that teach us how children this age should be doing certain things to avoid injury and we aren't there to supervise such pick up games.

There are two coaching staffs that act like ToeJam describes in our league the last two years and they haven't made the playoffs yet and the closest game we;ve had against either of them in the two years I have been coaching was 38-18.

I'd put my boys having fun up against anything ToeJam and his Nazi regime could put out on a field and I'd bet money that both my runningbacks (Marshall and Parker) blow him up and we win by 3 TDs plus.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Rack that shit Sun Coast...I hate coaches like that...

glad you are taking the other route...I have helped out with my kids teams and yeah teaching them to have fun is the best thing to keep in mind...
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

My job makes me travel like crazy so I really do not have a lot of time for much. I have 2 little one's (6 & 2) and love nothing more than playing an spending time with my kiddos. This year I coached my son's soccer team. I missed 2 games due to work (which they lost). It was tough. I made it back for the tournament and we got to the finals. They other team beat us during the season 7-1. We were given the 2nd place trophies before the game. I was pissed. We were tied at 2 with less than a minute to go. We got in the box and my son got the game winner. I have never been so nervous and excited at the same time. I can only imagine what it will be like in later in life!

I love to read. I bet I read 1-2 books a week. I love to read Vince Flynn, Nelson Demille, David Baldacci and James Patterson. I never really got into reading until about 5 years ago. I am hooked like a crackhead.

Music. I play guitar and love to jam. I still listen to all the heavy shit that I did 20 years ago.

Travel. Like Indy, I usually take the wife to Vegas 1-2 times a year. We also make the trek to Florida and generally take a cruise.

I love to Golf but hardly have time. This summer I took a guys golf trip. Total blast and it will become a yearly occurrence
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Mace wrote:Kids aren't a hobby but, if you're doing it right, they do consume so much of your free time that you have no time or desire for anything else. Coaching your kids is fun and something that both you and the kid will remember for a lifetime. I had the pleasure of being able to coach my son's little league team for a couple of years tnd became the high school baseball coach a year before he entered high school. It's fun watching 9th graders mature as men and athletes during their four years of high school but it's especially pleasing when it's your own child. Sometimes it's difficult to separate coach from dad (especially for the kid, I think) but it wasn't that difficult for me to treat him as just another player when we were at practices/games. I'm looking forward to having the time to play a round of golf with both of my kids and to continue doing things with them as they grow into adulthood......and hoping that they will always make a little time for the old man the way I've always tried to make time for them as they were growing up.
I don't have the issue with separating father with coach... my only child so far is a daughter. I just enjoy coaching and enjoy kids in general. There's actually only one father on our staff of five coaches.
Tom In VA
Eternal Scobode

Post by Tom In VA »

When I was a lad my father coached my football team ONCE. After that season he said he preferred to be able to focus on me and my game as opposed to having to be concerned with all the other kids.

I will probably pull the same deal if my son wants to get involved in football or something. In all honesty, my only experience in organized sports is football, baseball, soccer, wrestling, and basketball; I really don't think I'm qualified to coach any of those. That being said, I'd actually prefer my son get involved in some of the more olympic style events like martial arts, swimming, gymnastics, running or something that develops his overall athleticism and self confidence that he can use OUTSIDE the actual sporting event.
With all the horseshit around here, you'd think there'd be a pony somewhere.
Trampis
Eternal Scobode

Post by Trampis »

Motocross. Used to race a bunch back in my teens /early 20's. Now I just ride occasionally with my step-son but I follow the sport pretty closely. I have both an 02 and my old 92 Yamaha YZ250 2-strokes.

Bicycle. Love hitting both the pavement and the offroad stuff around where I live. Nothing like a good cardio workout to clear the mind.

My bro-in-law got me into traditional archery. I just shoot an old recurve that I bought for $50 with arrows i make myself. Ive never hunted with it but I go to the local archery clubs competition shoots. Just like golf.

I like to get out of the desert and go to the mountains on dayhikes.
Bad spelling is a diversionary tactic
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

Ken wrote:Oh, let’s see here… my hobbies.
At the top of the list is golf. Play twice/week now, thank goodness.

Other interests:
Meteorology- almost went to Penn State for it, but opted instead for Horticulture there. Probably a good decision as I’m living my dream job right now in my chosen major. But still, love meteorology and read all I can about it.

Reading- very much dislike fiction (except for a rare few cases). I primarily read books on travel. Currently reading Blood River, the author’s account of retracing the steps of the man who first mapped and traveled what is still today quite possibly the most dangerous part of the world- the Congo River. Extremely interesting.

Cooking/eating- I’ll try virtually anything (eating or cooking). Thankfully, being here in Thailand allows me to try many different and unique things. My trips to China also offer many offerings, many of which are not agreeable with my palate, but I still appreciate the opportunity.

Travel- One reason why I love my job. Shit, I’ve logged 113,000 miles of air travel this year and I still have a return trip to the US from Thailand. I love everything about flying- going to sleep on a plane and waking up on the other side of the world or in an entirely different culture. Love experiencing new cultures and their food/customs. I think I’m a ‘granola trekker’ at heart which might be why I enjoy it so much.

All I can think of for now… will probably add something later when it comes to mind.
Gonna add to my list…
While in Jamaica back in October, I did a ‘Discovery Scuba’ program there. You go through some very brief training then do a dive or two with an instructor- no skill tests or practice, just recreational diving with an instructor. I got effing hooked. Absolutely loved it and made a point to myself right there that I would get certified. Knowing that I would be in Phuket for five days, I did my course knowledge on-line, did the pool dives in Pittsburgh, and set up the open dive portion of certification for Phuket. Just finished it the other day and am now certified. Did 6 dives over two days. Just amazing. Scuba is quite possibly the most enjoyable thing I’ve experienced to date, except of course, for ’that’.

Already trying to plan for my next scuba excursion.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Fuck the 360. Get a PS3. It's a little more expensive, but online play is free and the Blu-Ray player more than makes up for the price difference. You can stream Netflix on PS3 now too. It's just a much better console all-around, IMO.
"Keys, woman!"